main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Luke Skywalker/Mark Hamill Discussion Thread [SEE WARNING ON PAGE 134]

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Pro Scoundrel , Jan 3, 2020.

1. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    Luke's lightsaber toss is one of his only moments that doesn't jive for me. I understand his choice to reject it, but the execution immediately struck me as an SNL/MTV Movie Awards moment. Perhaps a toss similar to ROTJ would have carried more weight to it.

2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I didn’t think the lightsaber toss was funny, but his telling Rey “OK that’s pretty much nowhere” was great.

devilinthedetails likes this.
  3. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    I laughed but not because it was funny.

4. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    The execution definitely leans towards comedy, especially when mixed with the music. There!s a lot more ways to make the serious point with some more clear pathos without making it look like Johnson going “Psyche!” the way it did. Luke simply refusing to take the lightsaber, or holding it numbly until Rey take sit back (like that guy who made an experimental edit showing that happening), or yes, throwing it aside ROTJ style, would communicate Luke’s mental state and attitude without “leading the audience on” the way TLJ does.

Also, let’s face it; most of Luke’s first scenes are about running as far away from what people expect as possible with humor as a balm for it. I didn’t mind when I first watched dit, but now it just leaves me a bit emotionally dead on the issue because I know it’s not going anywhere productive.

5. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    To me, all those elements from the build up to the wind definitely served to produce surprise, shock, and dramatic irony, just not in a humorous way. To me it was like the horse’s head from The Godfather, except intriguing instead of horrifying.

[edit]also, quicker

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
  6. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    I just think the whole throwing it over his shoulder thing is a comedic act in general. Like when do people do that in a serious manner in movies.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Lobot's Wig

Lobot's Wig Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 13, 2020
  8. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    Now that was funny.

9. FightoftheForgotten

FightoftheForgotten Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2020
    Does the music drop out just before Luke tosses the lightsaber over his shoulder? I would rather not have to rewatch any part of TLJ so if someone could provide the answer, it'd be appreciated.

10. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    I think just as he tosses it, the music cuts to wind sounds, and then its silence as we watch Rey's reaction, and more silence as Luke stomps away.

11. mtt02263

mtt02263 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 29, 2020
    Rey stares at him with music slowly building, it then cuts for just a couple seconds and then he tosses the saber. It seems like a gag both because of the way Luke tosses it, as well as the music cutting out right before. The whole scene plays straight out of a parody. If the music had stayed and Luke either tosses it to the side like in ROTJ or simply drops it, it would have been a dramatic scene.

12. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    If Luke had stayed true to the character that was being set up, and it wasn't a parody, I think a person in that frame of mind, would have just let go of it. Or handed it back to Rey as he walked by her.

13. Darth_Articulate

Nov 1, 2012
    The problem is that his feelings towards the lightsaber are more aggressive than that. The more reminders he has of what he loves, the more difficult it is for him to stay out of the fight. He doesn’t just need to reject it, he needs to get it as far away from him as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MarcJordan likes this.
  14. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    Then toss it back to Rey. Has anyone ever seriously thrown something over their shoulder in a serious manner? It's always kind of ... jokey. Playful.

15. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    Or, hear me out here... have him just refuse to take it and stare at it in contempt.

If he hates and fears it for (pretentious) reasons, than why would he out his hands out in the first place?

Because it leads to a better “psyche!” moment if you’re form the Jim Russo-school of “The Shocking Swerve is all that matters!”

16. MarcJordan

MarcJordan Force Ghost star 4

Nov 17, 2014
    Well the LS isn't as sacred to him as the island. He also knows the place like back of his hand. I don't think he was trying to fool around too much either hence the disdain toss;he knew where it would land. Actualy all throughout the island scenes he isn't completely devoid of emotion either. Even when lights up the torch he still can't go through with burning down the tree.

To me the best part of Luke's role dealt with the way he showed Leia, Han's dice.I think also there is a double meaning with "no one's is every really gone". He's also referring to himself. Not just just only being about Han (who is dead) or Ben (becoming Kylo Ren).

MJ

17. Starith

Starith Jedi Master star 3

Apr 5, 2020
    Yeah, the lightsaber toss definitely had a trollish vibe to it, both character-wise and to the audience.

I've only seen TFA, TLJ, and Solo once and never saw TROS, so I still don't know what the dice thing was about. Something tells me it's pretty pointless and a shortcut for having actual story and relationships that make sense, but that's just a hunch.

18. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    I love how Leia just throws them on the ground because they're pointless. No one's ever really gone. Here's some fake dice that were given to Han by his first love, not you Leia, because some of the writers never liked the Han and Leia relationship and were trying to do better in Solo. The real ones are on the Falcon with Rey, about 100 feet from here. These ones are just fakers that I'm making up right now. Doing this projection is probably going to kill me, but why not go the extra length and project some dumb dice to give to you when you're going to be on the falcon in 10 minutes. Anyway, he apparently cherished these. Welp, time to go troll Ben. See ya in the afterlife.

The dice are kind of like when an old relative stops by for your Xmas party, who you haven't seen in years, and their gift is just something they picked off their bookcase and wrapped. Thanks for the ... dice...Uncle Luke.

19. Starith

Starith Jedi Master star 3

Apr 5, 2020
    I had forgotten a lot about the dice. I just remember TLJ giving them attention like they were this special thing, like "Am I missing something? Is there a story behind these?...'' I'm not a Han/Leia fan either, but a trinket from Han's ex-girlfriend is such a weird thing to bring into the Skywalker Saga.

20. Darth_Articulate

Nov 1, 2012
    I actually think the LS is incredibly meaningful to him, which is why it’s liable to change his mind about staying there, which is why he can’t bear to look at it. The entire fundamental justification for him being there is because he thinks that the galaxy has to find a new path outside of the Jedi. In order for that to happen, he has to remove himself from the picture. It kind of mirrors the justification for the writers taking him out of TFA until the very last teaser moment. They wanted the audience to forge a relationship with the new heroes. In order for that to happen, they had to remove Luke from the picture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21. PendragonM

PendragonM Force Ghost star 4

Mar 7, 2018
    No, they didn't, just as they didn't have to remove Han, Leia, Chewie, Artoo or Threepio. They could have made better characters. They could have, as apparently was the original intent, had them as cameos, or even had them only in movie 1.

Instead, they made a Frankenstein's monster of a reboot. They removed Luke, Han and Leia from the picture by blaming them for Kylo and then killing him to serve that character that they all thought we'd love. They thought that Luke, Han and Leia were expendable and everyone would instead love their new characters - well, let's be honest. They didn't want the old fans around either, forgetting the fact that old fans make new fans and have more disposable income to support the franchise. Some old fans were perfectly happy to see Luke, Han and Leia trashed and will insist that they weren't destroyed. The rest of us don't agree.

Luke tossing that lightsaber over his shoulder was an indication, the way that Han being regressed and treated like a comedy act in TFA was an indication - they didn't want to honor the past, they wanted us to think that the past was a joke and to embrace their new future. No thanks.

22. Darth_Articulate

Nov 1, 2012
    My source for that sentiment is the Arndt interview here: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.in...ns-a-much-larger-role-for-redacted-95887/amp/

”Early on I tried to write versions of the story where [Rey] is at home, her home is destroyed, and then she goes on the road and meets Luke. And then she goes and kicks the bad guy’s ass,” Arndt said (via EW). “It just never worked and I struggled with this. This was back in 2012.” Apparently the issue was Luke’s presence was always upstaging everyone in the script. “It just felt like every time Luke came in and entered the movie, he just took it over,” Arndt continued. “Suddenly you didn’t care about your main character anymore because, ‘Oh f–k, Luke Skywalker’s here. I want to see what he’s going to do.’”

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
  23. PendragonM

PendragonM Force Ghost star 4

Mar 7, 2018
    I have zero sympathy for him. Zero. He was paid to write Star Wars and couldn't manage it, they all were. And want to whine about how hard it was to deal with the old characters - really? Some people would have trampled their own grandmothers to write Star Wars.

24. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Luke could easily have been the supporting mentor type character a la Obi-Wan and Yoda from the OT. That wouldn't have upstaged anyone. The need to make Luke have a crisis of Force faith, rediscover his commitment to the Jedi, throw his lightsaber, milk a space cow, sneak into his nephew's bedroom at night and ignite a lightsaber over him in multiple flashbacks, and to have him rant against the Jedi to Rey all was what upstaged Rey's character in TLJ. Luke just being in a mentor type role would've been fine and not upstaged anyone.

25. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    I think the mentality or fear that Luke is upstaging the new class is inherently the problem. From the get go, they viewed the OT as rivals, not allies. They should welcome Luke's upstaging. They paid $4 billion for that. And if Luke appears and suddenly no one cares about your new main characters, that's on you to write better new main characters. Not hide the old ones out of sight.

And I really think this is false duality anyway. There are ways to make Luke part of the journey, and not have him upstage everyone else all the time, or immediately. There are ways to make him a Jedi Master Mentor to Rey, without it all becoming about him. (And that's really what happens in TLJ anyway)

There are many creative ways this could have gone. But ultimately it seems like they didn't know what to write, or how to write it.