main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

Andor Luthen Rael

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by ewoksimon, Aug 1, 2022.

1. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    Lor in TFA is at least 40 years after the events of Andor and Luthen. I seriously doubt they are the same character.

And him being a former Jedi makes more sense. At least a little. lol.

2. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    It would be quite a retcon to establish Luthen would be Lor San Tekka. I see no reason to do such a leap. Same with him being jedi. Unnecessary and doesn't IMO even work for him. But that is still possible. I just don't think it's probable.

3. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    I can think of stupider things than making Luthen Rael the same person as Lor San Tekka. But it’s still pretty stupid.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2022
  4. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    The math dosent even work. I doubt Luthien Rael is younger then late 40's to 50's. Lor San Tekka would be 40 or younger in Andor. He is in his 70's in TFA. It be cool to see a younger version of him. But not Luthien Rael, dosent fit the character who is very religios.

Swashbucklingjedi likes this.
  5. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    They look absolutely nothing alike. Not even vaguely. The only thing they have in common is being Swedish.

6. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    Hiding in plain sight? Surely someone on Coruscant would recognise him...

Swashbucklingjedi likes this.
  7. Siphonophore

Siphonophore Chosen One star 4

Nov 13, 2003
    If there's a series or film that takes place about six years before Andor, Dolph Lundgren should be cast to play Luthen.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  8. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    He’s older than the actor playing the part now.

9. Siphonophore

Siphonophore Chosen One star 4

Nov 13, 2003
    Dolph is 65, and Stellan is 71.

If he doesn't play a younger Luthen, Dolph could play a younger Lor San Tekka.

10. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    That’s what the internet wants us to think. Dolph has city miles.

I would like to see Dolph in Star Wars. Make him a good guy.

Siphonophore likes this.
  11. whostheBossk

whostheBossk Force Ghost star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    I enjoyed his character this season. A great edition to the GFFA. I like how he has been established and I don't think much less of him not doing anything on Ferrix but it would've been nice to see him take out some Imperials.
    I look forward to seeing him and Cassian working together next season.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  12. Yeade

Yeade Jedi Grand Master star 1

Aug 27, 2003
    While I don't much care for the crackpot theory going around that Luthen himself is a sekrit Jedi, I do feel a Jedi connection can be used here to both flesh out Luthen's motivations in fighting the Empire and deepen the show's already impressive worldbuilding in interesting ways. For example, suppose one of Luthen's family was a Jedi killed during Order 66, perhaps even his child for maximum drama, lol. Or, if that's too personal, let's say Luthen was a Republic officer, maybe working in intelligence to contextualize his current skill set, who served closely with the Jedi, but who unlike Yularen, his ISB counterpart, did not for a moment buy Palpatine's hogwash about the whole Order suddenly turning traitor.

Seeing the clones betray the Jedi commanders they were so loyal to without hesitation, gunning down not just the Knights and Masters but the teenage Padawans, often in the field, in the midst of ongoing battles and campaigns against the Separatists, well, I imagine a person as sharp and informed as Luthen might have some questions. Ditto if Luthen was close enough to a Jedi to know who the Jedi were as a people and culture, to learn a little of their history and philosophy ("guardians of peace and justice"). And, of course, if Luthen's child was a Jedi youngling massacred at the Temple, no amount of political speechifying on Palpatine's part could justify that death to him.

What's more, any crackdowns by the newly formed Empire on families and organizations with Jedi ties, Jedi sympathizers, and later Force sensitives in general, other races like the Lasat with Force traditions---all would only serve to strengthen Luthen's suspicions that the Jedi were scapegoated into a realization that the Empire itself is an evil, oppressive state. ETA: Character-wise, introducing the Jedi as an element in Luthen's backstory creates tension between the ruthless methods he tells himself he must resort to in order to fight the Empire and the compassionate ideals the Jedi embodied, which he in truth may desperately want to honor.

Essentially, the Jedi were the very first victims of the Empire; they were the first to be crushed by a regime that's now beginning to grind up the lives of more and more ordinary people. It would make sense, IMO, for Luthen to have a connection to the Jedi on the basis that he's among the first to awaken, in Maarva's words, to the threat of the Empire, same as Bail Organa. The masses instead slept through Order 66 and didn't think to question why a total genocide was necessary, because 1) in the wide view, the Jedi are a minority, fear and prejudice against whom Palpatine worked hard for years to stoke, like many IRL demagogues, and 2) the majority no doubt believed the Empire's brute force would never be turned against them and theirs, so long as they remained law-abiding citizens who minded their own business.

The Jedi as a lesson in the perils of ignoring terrible injustices because they don't affect you personally---when such crimes are state sponsored, the consequences will ultimately come home to roost---would be entirely in keeping with the themes of the show, IMO.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2022
  13. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    Literally no way he is a Jedi.

I just view Luthen as almost a Jeffrey Epstein type figure with a lot of money and friends in high places who ends up bankrolling a rebellion instead of a criminal ring

14. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Luthen imitated Darth Maul a few times on this show, with his Lightsaber weapon onboard his ship, and when he parks his ship and gets on his speeder bike in the last episode. He's got his museum full of Jedi and Sith props where its basically a rehash of Dryden Vos. I get the sense he's Crimson Dawn operative. His ship seems like a cross between Maul's Scimitar, Solo's Falcon and Marek's Rogue Shadow.

15. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Luthen is a deeply committed rebel, not an operative for an extortionist criminal operation. That would be a terrible twist.

16. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Luthen has a deep love for the former Republic and has a shoppe dedicated to keeping the memory of both the Jedi and also Naboo culture alive, while wearing fabulous wigs. Ergo...

Luthen Rael is Sio Bibble with his beard shaved off.

He tried to tell us that the otherwise simple communication disruption could only lead to one thing. And now he's fighting back against it.

17. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    Yeah I didn't say it was the stupidest thing ever, just pointless.

Luthen Rael being involved in Crimson Dawn would also ruin his character, but surely he could've had some connection there. We don't really know where and how he got his ship, so could it be that his tech is actually stolen from Crimson Dawn or something. Enfys Nest was connected to Rebellion in some way and she raided Crimson Dawn's stuff so I could see there is possibility they will write connection between like Enfys and Luthen.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2022
    Bor Mullet likes this.
  18. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    That would explain their equally impressive facility with monologues.

19. Riv_Shiel

Riv_Shiel Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2014
    EDIT: Disregard.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2022
  20. Lord-Skywalker

Lord-Skywalker Hangman Host/18X Wacky Wed Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner VIP - Game Host

Jul 8, 2002
    I’ll go along with that, but only if we get Qi’ra in season 2.

21. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    Luthen strikes me as desensitized due to some sort of trauma in his past. I have a feeling we'll learn more about him in the second season.

My theory is that he was married and had kids, but the Empire killed them for whatever reason. And his desire for revenge has both incentivized and consumed him.

22. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    "I've given up all chance at inner peace. I made my mind a sunless space. I share my dreams with ghosts."
    - Luthen Rael

He sounds like the people who get into pointless debates on Facebook.

Darth_Accipiter and Sarge like this.
  23. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Or your average Jedi Council Forum member. :)

DannyD and Deliveranze like this.
  24. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    While I think the show will keep it ambiguous, to me Luthen Rael is a former Jedi. His talk about how he saw his friends all die dating back exactly to the end of The Clone Wars is the most solid clue, I think.

Coruscant is home to a trillion beings. Jedi were 10,000 plus before the Clone Wars. Jedi Temple records were spotty at best - a whole planet got deleted.......No reason to think the Republic would have been allowed to maintain a full list of members of the Jedi Order. They would have what the Jedi gave them.

Sidious hid in plain site. I think Rael has a parallel there.

Further to my theories I imagine when Yoda and Obi returned to the Jedi Temple they would have eliminated the temple archives to help protect those who had not yet been killed or found.

I don't think Rael is suddenly going to start to wave around a lightsaber, or anything so blunt as that. But him once being a Jedi, and now being ashamed of the actions he has to take against the Empire fits really well.

25. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    That's what I'm talking about. More Luthen discourse during the height of Ahsoka season. More chaos please.

Cos Palpatine likes this.