main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Comics Marvel Star Wars: General News & Trades Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi Ben, Mar 7, 2015.

1. lordpixie

lordpixie Jedi Master star 2

Aug 30, 2015
    Oh i did not know or remember that. Great news. Still need that SW 2015 Vol 2 Omnibus i wonder if its marvel or Lucasfilm that has a say in what gets done ? Would be a great question to ask at a Lucasfilm Publishing are Marvel panel if only i was going to celebration europe!.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  2. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
  3. jafo

jafo Jedi Grand Master star 2

Oct 20, 2001
    that became apparent from the issue descriptions for the Han & Chewie comics.

4. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Sigh. Marvel, you greedy bastards.

High Republic Omnibus Season 1 = RRP $100!

lordpixie likes this.
  5. lordpixie

lordpixie Jedi Master star 2

Aug 30, 2015
    Marvel or getting really silly with the cost of epics/omnibus. The next upcoming epic The Old Republic Vol 5 has an RRP of £44.99. I know you can get it some what cheaper if you look around, but god does Marvel/disney love to take the mickey mouse.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  6. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    With a good online discount and decent per-issue cost ratio to the trade, you can just about justify it but it's getting harder to do so.

7. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    https://www.starwarscelebration.com/en-us/panels.html

Make Mine Marvel Star Wars!
    Mon, Apr 10, 2023 • 12:30 PM - 1:30 PM
    Make mine Star Wars, and make mine Marvel! Join Marvel editor-in-chief C.B. Cebulski and some of Marvel’s top talent for a comics conversation unlike any other. Including all-new announcements and reveals from a galaxy far, far away!

8. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    https://www.starwars.com/news/marvel-star-wars-june-2023-preview
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

STAR WARS: DARTH VADER - BLACK, WHITE & RED #3
    JASON AARON, DANIEL WARREN JOHNSON & MARC BERNARDIN (W)
    LEONARD KIRK, DANIEL WARREN JOHNSON & MORE! (A) • Cover by MIKE DEL MUNDO
    Variant Cover by CARMEN CARNERO • Variant Cover by NIC KLEIN

DANIEL WARREN JOHNSON HELPS BRING DARTH VADER TO LIFE LIKE NEVER BEFORE!

• MARC BERNARDIN brings us along with Vader on a mission you won’t soon forget!

• PLUS: The penultimate chapter of JASON AARON & LEONARD KIRK’s Vader deconstruction!

[​IMG]

STAR WARS: THE MANDALORIAN SEASON 2 #1

RODNEY BARNES (W) • GEORGES JEANTY (A) • Cover by DAVID NAKAYAMA
    Variant Cover by E.M. GIST • Variant Cover by KEN LASHLEY
    Variant Cover by RICKIE YAGAWA • Virgin Variant Cover by RICKIE YAGAWA
    Star Wars Pride Variant Cover by PAULINA GANUCHEAU
    Concept Art Variant ALSO AVAILABLE

SEASON 2 OF THE HIT DISNEY+ SERIES IS HERE!

• GROGU AND DIN DJARIN return in “CHAPTER 9: THE MARSHAL”!

• The Mandalorian is drawn to the Outer Rim in search of others of his kind.

• Following rumors of another Mandalorian, he instead comes face-to-face with MARSHAL COBB VANTH wearing very familiar armor!

• Mando and Grogu have stepped into a situation bigger than they realize!

• Following the tradition of Season 1, RODNEY BARNES and GEORGES JEANTY reunite to bring Season 2 to life once more!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

STAR WARS: YODA #8
    MARC GUGGENHEIM (W)
    ALESSANDRO MIRACOLO (A)
    Cover by PHIL NOTO
    Variant Cover by TAKASHI OKAZAKI
    Star Wars Pride Variant Cover by JAVIER GARRÓN

MASTER AND APPRENTICE!

• The SEPARATIST army has a new super-weapon: THE MEGADROID.

• But can YODA and ANAKIN SKYWALKER destroy an entire factory full of them?

• The events of this issue directly overlap with STAR WARS: REVELATIONS! See how IT’S ALL CONNECTED!

[​IMG]
    STAR WARS: SANA STARROS #5 (OF 5)
    JUSTINA IRELAND (W) • PERE PÉREZ (A)
    Cover by KEN LASHLEY
    Star Wars Pride Variant Cover by BETSY COLA

THE STARROS FAMILY INFILTRATES AN IMPERIAL DESTROYER. WHAT CAN GO WRONG?

• SANA STARROS and bounty hunter DEVA LOMPOP have boarded the KING’S RANSOM to save one of their family.

• But once they find out they’ve been betrayed, the STARROS CLAN will never be the same!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

STAR WARS: RETURN OF THE JEDI – THE EMPIRE #1
    JODY HOUSER (W) • JETHRO MORALES (A) • Cover by RYAN BROWN
    Connecting Variant Cover by LEE GARBETT
    Variant Cover by LEINIL FRANCIS YU
    Variant Cover by TOM REILLY
    VIRGIN VARIANT COVER BY RYAN BROWN

WHAT WOULD YOU DO IF THE EMPIRE TOOK OVER?

• As operations begin to take shape on the moon of ENDOR, a technician must figure out how to live under the control of THE EMPIRE.

• But if he can’t stay out of trouble, what will the Empire do with him?

• Continuing the 40TH ANNIVERSARY celebration of RETURN OF THE JEDI, JODY HOUSER & JETHRO MORALES pull back the curtain of the Empire like never before!

[​IMG]
    STAR WARS: BOUNTY HUNTERS #35
    ETHAN SACKS (W) • LAN MEDINA (A)
    Cover by MARCO CHECCHETTO
    Return of the Jedi 40th Anniversary Variant Cover by CHRIS SPROUSE
    Star Wars Pride Variant Cover by LUCAS WERNECK
    BOBA FETT VARIANT COVER BY ALEX MALEEV
    DURGE VARIANT COVER BY INHYUK LEE

A NEW ERA FOR THE BOUNTY HUNTERS!

• In the aftermath of the battle with INFERNO SQUAD, VALANCE and T’ONGA are joined by the most dangerous bounty hunters in the galaxy...

• KHEL TANNA!

• DEATHSTICK!

• DURGE!

•…and BOBA FETT?!

[​IMG]

STAR WARS: DOCTOR APHRA #33
    ALYSSA WONG (W) • MINKYU JUNG (A)
    COVER BY JUNGGEUN YOON
    Star Wars Pride Variant Cover by PHIL JIMENEZ
    VARIANT COVER BY DAVID MARQUEZ

LUKE SKYWALKER! A LOST JEDI TEMPLE! AND A GRAVE MISCALCULATION!

• APHRA has convinced LUKE that she can help him find long-lost secrets of THE JEDI!

• But she has other plans for him that include...

• …DARTH VADER!!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

STAR WARS #35
    CHARLES SOULE (W) • MADIBEK MUSABEKOV (A)
    Cover by STEPHEN SEGOVIA
    Action Figure Variant Cover by JOHN TYLER CHRISTOPHER
    Variant Cover by PHIL NOTO
    Star Wars Pride Variant Cover by PHIL JIMENEZ

LUKE SKYWALKER...IN THE CLUTHES OF DR. CUATA!

• The would-be JEDI’S LIGHTSABER is all but destroyed!

• Enter KYBER CRYSTAL expert DR. CUATA! Only he can repair it...but at what price?

• Luke’s life will hang in the balance...and only ANOTHER JEDI can save him!

[​IMG]
    STAR WARS: DARTH VADER #35
    GREG PAK (W) • RAFFAELE IENCO (A)
    Cover by LEINIL FRANCIS YU
    Variant Cover by KHOI PHAM
    Star Wars Pride Variant Cover by LUCIANO VECCHIO

VADER UNBOUND!

• The DARK LORD OF THE SITH has called upon the galaxy’s greatest archaeologist, DOCTOR APHRA, for help.

• He’s lost control of THE FORCE, and only APHRA knows what can tame his path of destruction

• …But will an archaic KYBERITE weapon only lead to more devastation?

9. RogueWhistler

RogueWhistler Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 9, 2021
    At first glance, that Yoda cover got me all excited for another Visions issue.

10. AvarandElzarsittininatree

AvarandElzarsittininatree Jedi Master star 4

Nov 13, 2021
    Aphra is everywhere. Aphra is Marvel's Ahsoka.

Fredrik Vallestrand likes this.
  11. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    i love it when Aphra and Luke crossover.

12. AvarandElzarsittininatree

Nov 13, 2021
    We should probably expect the High Republic Phase III comics to be given release dates at Celebration.

I imagine fall of 2023.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2023
    Jedi Ben likes this.
  13. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    So, in what is probably a semi-regular series:

The Greedy Bastard News

From scanning Blackwell's catalogue, it now looks very likely that the Tales of the Jedi Omnibus, currently set for December, will be RRP $150. :_|

In slightly better news, it may be the The High Republic Season One Omnibus may be a little lower than RRP $100, or it's a listing error. A RRP of $75 would be more fitting for the size of volume.

14. jafo

Oct 20, 2001
    Pretty much every omnibus that has been released in digital format is £32. Not physical, but if you like digital, bargain.

15. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Yeah, digital can be a bargain though I wouldn't put it past Marvel to jack those up at some point.

16. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    Was there any effort whatsoever to list or catalog the bonus content in the omnibi and occasionally epic collections in the back?

Bonus wasn't always reprinted from earlier releases like TPB boni, but often even not before seen art, b/w pages, sketches, concept, interviews, etc. so a list would be great for collectors. Did anybody even remotely try?

17. jafo

Oct 20, 2001
    No idea. I have been told that the Dark Empire epic collection does have the bonus content from the issues in it, which has not been included in previous trade paperbacks, so I am looking to get that.
    I have other epic collections, but by no means do I have them all.
    I’m happy to look through those with regards to bonus content, but I seem to remember there not being that much.

omnibuses are usually the gold standard for bonus content so they may have more.
    For example, I would expect the Tales of the Jedi to have the Dark Horse Presents art for the initial chapters of the Nomi Sunrider story, I’m unsure if those are in the epic collection.
    Anyone know?

edit
    —————
    So I’ve just looked at a few of my digital epic collections.
    Odd bits of art, covers to previous collected versions of the stories, & a few scans of the original art tend to be included.
    If the stories collected have none of those, then the epic collection has no bonus content at all.
    Hope that helps.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2023
  18. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Marvel does continue to tell expanded stories in Star Wars. I wonder why they can't do the same for the films?[face_thinking]

19. jafo

Oct 20, 2001
    Marvel have only published one story set in the old EU. Everything else has been new continuity or the equivalent of an Elseworlds.

20. darthzac14

darthzac14 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    Have there been any other SW Elsewords/What-If type stories have Marvel told beyond the Visions one-shot? I know Dark Horse back in the day did Tales (granted those types of stories were more silly), did IDW/has Dark Horse done any of those types of stories in the past five(ish) years?

Last edited: Mar 24, 2023
  21. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    A while back Marvel was occasionally including little backup features in some of their comics, in the vein of the some of the sillier "Star Wars Tales" stories. They were collected in a one-shot called "Droids Unplugged" a few years ago if I'm not mistaken.

There was a really odd story about Biggs and Porkins in one of the "Age of Rebellion" books that was very much in the vein of something one might see in Tales. I really don't think it was intended to be canonical and is probably best viewed as a non-canon / "Elseworlds" type of thing.

darthzac14 likes this.
  22. vong333

Oct 18, 2003
    The thing about this second run of Marvel Star Wars is that there stories do not feel long lasting. I still fondly and vivdly remember Tales of the Jedi, Dark Empire, Rebellion, Empire, I mean 23 years of Dark Horse comics on Star Wars and I feel that they counted for something. The Clone Wars run along with the stories after order 66 run over 100 issues and I still remember close to 90% of those stories to include the Clone War micro series 10 paperback kiddie run. With Marvel? I remember their first run of 107 issues and the 3 annuals along with the 14 Ewoks and Droids. Those stories combined with the newspaper strips and the Pizzazz stuff still resonate with me. Yet this second run of Marvel I can't remember or care about any of those stories because they will be overrun with anything that comes out on streaming, movie, animation. The only positive for me on this, is that they continue to tell stories while the movies are stuck in limbo and the streaming service has taken a bit of a dip.

23. AvarandElzarsittininatree

Nov 13, 2021
    Well it's as always going to feel a little different when you have movies and tv shows running alongside it. However it would have been the exact same way if they were making that stuff alongside legends content. It's not the new material's fault that they are telling stories in a time when the franchise is more active.

And to be honest even with there being movies and tv shows running alongside it the new stuff has still done a better job of keeping the story together than legends did. Legends had trouble keeping stories straight even when they just had other books and comics to deal with.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2023
  24. vong333

Oct 18, 2003
    No its not, but, unfortunately the stories in Disneyverse feel bland as opposed to Dark Horse before. Those stories for me carry weight and are memorable and these other ones are forgettable. I could care less about the Spark Eternal or Luke with a yellow lightsaber, than Ulic Quel droma and the his redemption from joining the sith. Now that was a story.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2023
    JediFett10 likes this.
  25. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    DHC had to put out material in more concentrated form, they could only really do 3-4 SW books a month. Marvel don't have those limitations.

The strangest move Marvel made was stopping the OHCs / Omnibus fir the new material. There's some but they are few and far between.