main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Comics Marvel's Bounty Hunters (March 2020)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by darthzac14, Dec 11, 2019.

1. Maythe14thBeWithYou

Maythe14thBeWithYou Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2014
    This looks really cool! I'll definitely get this.

2. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Chosen One star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Issue #1 and #2 solicits.
    [​IMG]
    STAR WARS: BOUNTY HUNTERS #1
    ETHAN SACKS (W) • PAOLO VILLANELLI (A) • Cover by LEE BERMEJO
    Variant Cover by MICHAEL GOLDEN
    Variant Cover by Dave Johnson
    Variant Cover by KAARE ANDREWS
    Movie Variant Cover also available
    Blank Variant Cover also available
    VALANCE’S FIRST APPEARANCES, ALSO AVAILABLE…
    NEVER BETRAY A BOUNTY HUNTER – ESPECIALLY IF IT’S BOBA FETT!
    Years ago, VALANCE and fellow bounty hunters BOSSK and BOBA FETT took on a mission that went sideways in a bad way after Valance’s mentor, NAKANO LASH, violently betrayed them. Valance’s team barely escaped with their lives. He never thought he’d face his old mentor ever again…until Lash finally resurfaces under mysterious circumstances. Every bounty hunter in the galaxy wants a piece and Valance is hell-bent on getting to the prize first. He has score to settle—but so does Boba Fett!
    ETHAN SACKS (OLD MAN HAWKEYE and GALAXY’S EDGE) and PAOLO VILLANELLI (VADER: DARK VISIONS and JEDI FALLEN ORDER - DARK TEMPLE) are teaming up to bring you the bounty hunter adventure you’ve been waiting for this March!
    32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99
    Star Wars © Lucasfilm Ltd. & TM. All rights reserved. Used under authorization. Text and illustrations for Star Wars are © 2019 Lucasfilm Ltd.

[​IMG]
    STAR WARS: BOUNTY HUNTERS #2
    VARIANT COVER BY PHIL NOTO
    EMPIRE STRIKES BACK VARIANT COVER BY CHRIS SPROUSE
    BOUNTY HUNTERS DRAW FIRST BLOOD!
    • Cyborg bounty hunter VALANCE will stop at nothing to find his old mentor, NAKANO LASH, after her stinging betrayal years earlier.
    • But other bounty hunters have taken the job after a vicious crime lord put out the hit. Everyone’s got a reason to go after the traitorous Nautolan.
    • BOSSK, BOBA FETT and a slew of new killers are hot on Lash’s trail. Can Valance get to her first? And what could have possibly made Lash break her word and betray her fellow hunters? The truth could shake the foundations of the criminal underworld in the galaxy!
    32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99
    Star Wars © Lucasfilm Ltd. & TM. All rights reserved. Used under authorization. Text and illustrations for Star Wars are © 2019 Lucasfilm Ltd.

President Bossk likes this.
  3. DurararaFTW

DurararaFTW Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2014
    I'm glad bit players like boba fett aren't gonna get too much in the way of telling the Epic of Valance the Legendary Bounty Hunter.

4. masterskywalker

masterskywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 2, 2001
    Boba's all hype anyway. Bring on the weird Marvel cyborgs!

5. IG_2000

IG_2000 Force Ghost star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    I sense sarcasm in this post and I’m reporting you to the thought police

A l l h a i l b e i l e r t

6. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    [​IMG]
    STAR WARS: BOUNTY HUNTERS #3

Variant by MICHAEL GOLDEN
    EMPIRE STRIKES BACK Variant COVER by CHRIS SPROUSE
    DUEL TO THE DEATH…AS THE SCOREKEEPER WILLS!
    • Bossk confronts Valance in the ultimate heavyweight battle…and only one bounty hunter will remain standing when the dust clears.
    • The mysterious Nakano Lash finally resurfaces, threatening to plunge the underworld into an all-out war between two of the most powerful criminal syndicates in the galaxy.
    • Every bounty hunter, including the fearsome BOBA FETT, is after Lash. But what truly drives Fett to hunt down this particular quarry? Is it for the payday or…vengeance?! What exactly happened to Boba, Valance and Lash on that ill-fated mission so many years ago…?
    32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99
    Star Wars © Lucasfilm Ltd. & TM. All rights reserved. Used under authorization. Text and illustrations for Star Wars are © 2020 Lucasfilm Ltd.

Tython Awakening likes this.
  7. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Bossk looks genuinely scary there..

DurararaFTW likes this.
  8. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    I'm increasingly "hell yeah" on this one.

It's kinda like, now that The Mandalorian has filled in some of the details of the bounty hunter world without leaning on the same old characters... let's see what the same old characters were really like in that context.

9. Maythe14thBeWithYou

May 26, 2014
    The Mandalorian was awesome but I agree it'll be good to see the classic bounty hunters.

10. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    Short SW.com interview with series writer Ethan Sacks:
    Some of the most notorious bounty hunters, the scum of the galactic underworld, are now the stars of a new Marvel comic book series featuring the likes of Boba Fett and Bossk.

In Star Wars: Bounty Hunters, writer Ethan Sacks and artist Paolo Villanelli will take us on a journey through the seedy underbelly of the galaxy far, far away as seen through the cybernetic lens of one Beilert Valance. Recently, Sacks sat down with StarWars.com to talk about how the hunters featured in Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back captured his imagination and why he’s so excited to translate that childhood enthusiasm into modern-day storytelling. Plus, StarWars.com is thrilled to share a sneak peek at a few pages from the debut issue below!

StarWars.com: Your new series gets to play in the sandbox of Star Wars storytelling in a time period just after the events of Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back (which is my favorite!). When you were a seven-year-old kid meeting the bounty hunters on film for the first time, what was it about the motley crew that captured your imagination?

Ethan Sacks: Maybe Admiral Piett didn’t have any use for bounty hunters’ kind of scum, but I sure did. I remember being fascinated by Bossk in particular in the way that scene was shot, looking up at the Trandoshan who was looking down at us. And that bug-eyed droid, whose name I would not know until I was gifted a 4-LOM action figure months later. These hunters didn’t even seem to be particularly intimidated by Darth Vader, as if being on that bridge was just another day at the office. I wanted to know more about their stories. (Even Dengar!) And now I get to tell some of them. It’s a wonder I didn’t spontaneously combust… especially after I saw some of the covers by Lee Bermejo.

StarWars.com: I’m also very excited to see Bossk made the cut!

Ethan Sacks: There was no way Bossk wouldn’t make the cut!

StarWars.com: It’s a lucrative time to be a bounty hunter. Can you tell us a little bit about your goals for the series when you first started writing for the project? What was your initial elevator pitch for the story and how much did it change as you worked on it?

Ethan Sacks: My editors Mark Paniccia and Tom Groneman came to me with the genius idea (they being the geniuses, not me) of doing Bounty Hunters with us getting a glimpse of this underworld through the cybernetic eye of Valance. For the first arc, I thought a great way to wade into those glorious dark corners of the Star Wars universe was to chronicle a botched mission from the shared past of a number of major bounty hunters — a betrayal that has consequences years later. And not all of these great bounty hunters will end up on the same side, which of course will lead to a lot of blaster fire. That’s all I can say right now without my editors reversing their no disintegrations of writers policy.

StarWars.com: The creed of the Mandalore has been on a lot of fans’ minds lately with the new live-action series, The Mandalorian, featuring a different helmeted warrior. But in this issue, Boba Fett makes an appearance with a reference to his beskar armor. What was your approach to bringing in such an iconic character who is at such a pivotal moment, literally making a pit stop on his way to deliver Han Solo frozen in carbonite?

Ethan Sacks: Boba Fett is such a cypher, having grown up from a hot-headed kid to this just ice-cold killer. What I love visually is that you can’t really tell what he’s thinking and that makes him so much scarier both visually and from a storytelling perspective. In our first arc, he’s motivated enough to chase down a figure from his past that he literally pauses on his journey to deliver Han Solo to Jabba the Hutt to take this new bounty. Imagine the most fearsome bounty hunter in the galaxy being that ticked off at you. And I can’t wait until readers get to see how my amazing partner Paolo Villanelli draws him — all kinetic energy.

StarWars.com: You’re also including a more recent fan-favorite — Doctor Aphra! I was a little surprised to see her pop up. Why was it important to you to include her?

Ethan Sacks: I’m proud to say we got to answer the definitive question of, “Who would win in a fight, Doctor Aphra or Bossk?” Actually, Aphra is a guest-star in the arc, which gave us a chance to really show that Bounty Hunters is connected to a larger Star Wars tapestry. Fans are in for an amazing treat now that the great Alyssa Wong is writing the new Aphra series.

StarWars.com: Beilert Valance has a looong history as a bounty hunter in the Marvel comics, dating back to 1978 and more recently in Target Vader. What was your first introduction to the character? And what do you find most intriguing about the cybernetic hunter?

Ethan Sacks: I am old enough to remember him from the first time around, back when I was collecting the comics as a five-year-old eager to devour anything connected to Star Wars. But honestly, I didn’t gravitate to him as a misunderstood hero at the time, kind of disgusted by his anti-droid bigotry. By contrast, I really dug what Robbie Thompson and company did in Target Vader, really leaning into his struggle to find what’s left of his humanity. What I love about him is his whole worldview was blown apart when he was cast aside by the Empire and he is gradually trying to piece himself together — both literally and figuratively. Plus the dude is a badass. I couldn’t wait to pit him against Boba Fett. I’m not going to tell you who wins.

Plus preview pages for #1:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Star Wars issue #2 pointed out that Boba hadn't arrived to Jabba's palace with Han yet so I'm guessing this is what Boba is doing the whole time, sort of a supersized Boba Fett plot from the Shadows of the Empire Dark Horse miniseries? (except Bossk isn't actively trying to steal Han, yet.)

12. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Boba also had to fight off IG-88 (twice, I believe) when he had Han so maybe that's where he is.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  13. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    [​IMG]
    STAR WARS: BOUNTY HUNTERS #4
    ETHAN SACKS (W) • PAOLO VILLANELLI (A)
    Cover by LEE BERMEJO
    Empire Strikes Back Variant COVER by CHRIS SPROUSE
    THE SINS THAT CAN’T BE ABSOLVED!
    • With a blaster aimed at this back, cyborg bounty hunter VALANCE closes in on NAKANO LASH, the mentor who abandoned him many years ago.
    • But what is the secret that Lash has been hiding ever since that fateful, doomed mission — one that led her to betray her entire crew?
    • Those answers may die with her if a vengeful BOBA FETT gets to her first.
    32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99
    Star Wars © Lucasfilm Ltd. & TM. All rights reserved. Used under authorization. Text and illustrations for Star Wars are © 2020 Lucasfilm Ltd.

14. Wrinty

Wrinty Jedi Grand Master star 3

Apr 8, 2007
    The first issue is out. Very interesting set up in the first issue. Boba fans will be very happy to see Valence is definitely not portrayed as a better bounty hunter than him.

15. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
  16. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    The text on that headstone in the corner of last panel appears to read "HSHSG FAGB SG", clearly just random button mashing gibberish. Wouldn't it be funny if there were a Wookieepedia article "Hshsg Fagb Sg was a being of unknown species or gender who died sometime before 3 ABY. Fagb Sg was eventually buried on the Graveyard Planet of Galmerah."

chrcharcor2 and Senpezeco like this.
  17. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    [​IMG]
    STAR WARS: BOUNTY HUNTERS #5
    ETHAN SACKS (W) • PAOLO VILLANELLI (A)
    Cover by LEE BERMEJO
    Empire Strikes Back Variant COVER by CHRIS SPROUSE
    BATTLE OF THE BOUNTY HUNTERS!
    • Only one man can stop BOBA FETT from executing his long sought vengeance. But can VALANCE survive the battle of the two greatest bounty hunters of their age?
    • Why did NAKANO LASH betray her team during their doomed mission to CORELLIA?
    • The answer could ignite an all-out crime war across the underworld and change Valance’s life forever.
    32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99

18. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
  19. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Issue #1 of Bounty Hunters was cool, though, got to see Boba Fett finally! Maybe someday I'll read issue #2.

20. Merlyn Emerald

Merlyn Emerald Jedi Master star 3

Jan 3, 2019
    I just read two parts of this comic. His turn came. :)
    I liked it, I really liked it! The comic is very nice, the pictures are good, which is rare. ;)

Beilert Valance is now my favorite bounty hunter. I've known him since the old-old comics with strange, colorful drawings. Even then, I was attracted to this character. [face_blush]

Honestly, I felt sorry for him... For what the Empire did to him! In this comic, Valance's words only confirm his character, which, fortunately, has not been changed. He's right about the Empire... And my heart is squeezed by his feelings that he is a cyborg... =((

I want a continuation of the comic! [face_dancing]

He reminds me of the Terminator. This is cool! :cool:

[​IMG]

21. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    One thing about NuCanon Valance that's a little odd (maybe I've missed it being addressed somewhere) is that he just kind of walks around with half his cyborg face all hanging out. Old School Valance wasn't too into being identified with droidishness in any way.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  22. Merlyn Emerald

Merlyn Emerald Jedi Master star 3

Jan 3, 2019
    This is for coolness. :D Or is he has no money to apply synthetic flesh after every battle? And, it seems, here Valance does not have a strong hatred for droids, just hard to deal with the fact that he is a cyborg himself. [face_sigh]

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  23. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Yeah, he also has a droid sidekick in this comic, so clearly nu-Valance doesn't hate droids.

24. Maythe14thBeWithYou

May 26, 2014
    I really like this series as I do the other titles, now it's just a matter of waiting.

25. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Read issue 2 finally, the comic seems to jump around quite a lot in a single issue with lots of characters, Boba Fett is only on 2 pages but they're 2 awesome pages. This really does seem to be Valance's book with Boosk and Boba Fett showing up occasionally