main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Masters of the Universe: Castle Grayskull

Discussion in 'Community' started by Barbecue17, Dec 12, 2013.

1. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I made the mistake of emulating the hairstyle and nothing else @};-

2. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    I guess I can leave this here.

3. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    I had little faith in
    Kevin Smith
    but this kinda delivers. I want to see more.

4. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    However he does look a bit short-changed in one department . I guess that's steroids for ya.

5. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Would this be the first time Mark's involved in an ongoing series as a VA since Batman: The Animated Series?

6. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    Not sure if it will reach the height's of Noelle Stevenson's She-Ra reboot, but won't deny that it looks promising.

7. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    This will be a more faithful adaptation than She-Ra and it looks way better visually, but I doubt it will have the same level of character development that new She-Ra had.

8. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Where's Faker? This sucks!

9. QUIGONMIKE

QUIGONMIKE Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 5, 2009
    Ya know….I had that figure as a kid and now that I look…well…….it’s a little iffy for old He-Man down there, isn’t it?

They gonna do a live action version of this either as a show or a movie?

10. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    The caption for the new trailer reads: From Executive Producer Kevin Smith, comes an epic story that picks up where the 80’s series left off and brings the power of Grayskull back to the world.

"Picks up where the 80s series left off"? Does that mean that it's not a reboot, but it's follow-up and that if you haven't watched the original series in 30 years than you'd better start streaming it somewhere?

11. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    Yes this is the sequel to that. It used to stream on Netflix. Currently it says check back in the future. Maybe they’ll relaunch with the series.

12. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Kevin Smith spent a lot of time denying this show was about Teela, insisting He-Man was the main character when he was criticised on Twitter.

Synopsis - “After a cataclysmic battle between He-Man and Skeletor, Eternia is fractured and the Guardians of Grayskull are scattered. And after decades of secrets tore them apart, it’s up to Teela to reunite the broken band of heroes, and solve the mystery of the missing Sword of Power in a race against time to restore Eternia and prevent the end of the universe.”

His words might come back to bite him

13. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Eh whatever. Yeah, we all know the majority of people would be disappointed if it's not entirely focused on Adam/He-Man as opposed to Teela. There's already people on a public comic site I follow on Facebook whining about the show possibly being feminist-centric. What do I have to say about that? Just don't watch it then!

14. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    It's not so much that, it's that Smith denied that was the case when it was brought up a while back.

Most people won't mind if Teela gets more focus than He-Man (the show after all is called MOTU, not He-Man), so why not just come out and say so?

15. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    is She-Ra in it? I'm only watching if she is.

16. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    I don't think so, but I'm not sure of the rights situation these days.

There were a lot of limitations on what the She-Ra Netflix show could mention regarding Eternia and He-Man, so I'd expect there will be similar restrictions for Kevin Smith's show.
    He said they were not allowed to use the original music from the 80s series

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
  17. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Maybe he was denying as not to spoil the surprise similar to when JJ was denied that Cumberbatch was clearly Khan in Star Trek Into Darkness as a way to try to preserve the surprise.

18. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Ok that alone will take some getting used to for sure. I was weary about the Voltron reboot on Netflix really because I'd always had the awesome rendition of the original's music when Voltron forms in my head (and frankly was unimpressed by the new version's music, though the show itself made up for it).

The2ndQuest likes this.
  19. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Maybe, but it gives the haters ammunition to say "see! We were right, he lied!" and that's always annoying.

Surely it's better to just say nothing, then no-one can use it against you.

Ahsoka's Tano likes this.
  20. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017
    Music occupies this weird space in rights issues when you go back as far as the 80's, before platforms outside of movies and TV were deemed relevant. Take the movie Heavy Metal for instance. It took decades for that to eventually come out on home video all because the studio didn't secure any rights to the songs in the soundtrack outside of the theatrical run. The legal beagles sitting in on the contract negotiations have gotten their act together since then.

But in any event, this actually looks like it might be pretty good or at least a fun watch. The animation looks solid with a color palette pretty close to the original. That's about as much as I would expect from a modernization of a cartoon series originally created to sell toys.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2021
  21. QUIGONMIKE

QUIGONMIKE Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 5, 2009
    It should be about the entire universe and as many important characters as possible. He-Man is probably the main character but that doesnt mean there isnt a lot of room for other characters to shine and get meaty roles. Look at Star Wars, LOTR and other sagas. They have one "main" character but lots of others get their share of the action too.

And yes - as with any movie, song, whatever: If you dont care for the content then watch something or listen to something you enjoy. That was easy. :)

22. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017
    I dunno if he'll have a meaty role or not but Orko was clearly being useful in the trailer. That all by itself is a sea change for the character.

Ahsoka's Tano likes this.
  23. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    That's unfortunate. Maybe they can use the movie score instead. BILL CONTI HAS THE POWERRRRRRR!!

Juliet316 likes this.
  24. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    I don't see why we need another Masters of the Universe after that masterpiece

The2ndQuest and DarthRamRod like this.
  25. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    Teela is a central character? Interesting. The rumor I heard is very early in the series
    Skeletor defeats He-Man or at least takes the Power Sword summoning the Power of Grayskull and becomes the Skeletor equivalent of He-Man. From there the balance of power is flipped - its Skeletor-Man ruling Eternia and the good guys plotting each week how to take the Power of Grayskull.