main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Challenge Meow You’re Talking! – The Cat Challenge

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Chyntuck, Aug 28, 2023.

1. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    [​IMG]

Hello fellow cat furiends! If you clicked on this thread, chances are that you’re among those of us who are felinely inclined, which seems to be a pawful lot of people on these boards. The rules of this challenge are simple: write one or more stories featuring a cat in the fandom of your choice. Your catracter may be the fandom-appropriate equivalent of a cat, such as a tooka or a flerken, but it must exhibit the feline traits that we all know and love (or love to hate).

Now there are some fanfic writers around here who have a dozen cat ideas by the minute and who don’t need a purrompt, in which case, just sign up, write your fic and post a link in this thread so that we all see it. However, if you need a nudge or a bit of inspiration, I’ve put together a list of purrompts for you; all you have to do is to pick a number in the tier of your choice. For now, I have five in each tier, but I can add more if needed.

The tiers are defined as follows:
    • Minimalist purrompt: a few cat-related words to whisper in your muse’s ear
    • Short & Sweet purrompts: a cat picture or gif to awaken your muse
    • Blockbuster purrompts: a cat video to douse your muse in ice water and jolt her out of bed

Other than that, the only rule is that your stories should comply with the ToS, but you clawesome people know that already.

Catty writing, and may the Fur be with you!

* ~ * ~ * ~ *​

Sign-up list

Minimalist purrompts
    1. Findswoman – "the sound and the furry"
    2. Raissa Baiard – "claw and order" – Story: Strict, Unbending Rules for Dealing with Stray Loth-cats
    3. earlybird-obi-wan – "keep calm and catty on" – Story: entry 64 of Cat Clan
    4. devilinthedetails – "vanity fur" – Story: [A:TLA] Vain Feline Photoshoot
    5. Force of Light – "cat-22" – Story: [Supernatural] Cat-22

Short and Sweet purrompts
    1. devilinthedetails – Prompt: Suddenly, a cucumber – Story: [A:TLA] A Cat and a Cucumber
    2. gizkaspice – Dog scared of kittens – Story: The Kittens
    3. Force of Light – The murderous cat[Supernatural] The Murderous Cat
    4. gizkaspice – Darwin Day – Story: Dance with all the cat fur in the wind
    5. earlybird-obi-wan – The police cat – Story: chapter 5 of Revenge of the Syndicate

Blockbuster purrompts
    1. gizkaspice – Prompt: Assassin's Kittens – Story: Of Cat Songs, Giant Mice, and Assassin Kittens
    2. gizkaspice – Prompt: Cats Playing Patty-Cake – Story: Of Dr. Tanä, Morgoth's servant and patty-cakes
    4. DarthIshtar – Duet for Two Cats
    5. earlybird-obi-wan – The Kittyman – Story: Meet Kitty-cat

No purrompt needed
    1. Chyntuck: The Conquest of the Catlaxy
    2. gizkaspice: Of Let it Meow

Last edited: Jan 2, 2024
  2. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Feline so happy to see this posted! :) May I paw-lease have a minimalist purrompt for now, just beclaws? :D

3. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    That's absolutely pawsible @Findswoman! Your minimalist purrompt is: "the sound and the furry" :p

4. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard Chosen One star 4

Nov 22, 1999
    On behalf of Spots and Ghost Loth-cat, Princess the pittin, and Pouncer tooka, I’d like to request a minimalist prompt as well, purr-etty paw-lease? [​IMG]

5. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    That's quite the feline population you have there @Raissa Baiard! Your purrompt is: "claw and order" :D

6. gizkaspice

gizkaspice Force Ghost star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    Does this need to be a new story or can it be for an existing story?

I would like Blockbuster purrompt, please!

7. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    @gizkaspice In a challenge as serious as this one, the only pawsible answer to your question is "anything goes" :p

And it seems to me that this blockbuster purrompt is very relevant to a certain fic you're writing:

8. gizkaspice

Nov 27, 2013
    Oh my. What a purrrrrrrrfect purrompt! Absolutely hiss-terical! This video's got some cat-itude for sure! Thank you!

The motivation stirs within me...I can't wait to get started....I need to take a paws and calm down..

All this excitement just thinking about this used up 90% of my feline energy so...

naptime I-)

9. Force of Light

Force of Light Jedi Master star 1

Jan 5, 2016
    I love cats! I even had to role play as a cat during Halloween season on the LotR Fanatics Plaza. Wasn't my cat, but I used a black and white cat I had (had to give him up, since the place I was living at the time changed hands that didn't allow pets. If only I would have found my current place back then) for inspiration. I'll take # 5 in the Minimalist purrompts, please.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2023
  10. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Being a lover of the Dutch group 'The Cats' and now the furry comercial of KPN (a big red cat switching to channels among them the Mandalorian on Disney and sipping from a baby Yoda mug) I like to have a minimalist purrompt

11. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
  12. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Is there a deadline for this? I'm about to go on vacay & will never manage until I get back?

13. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    This is a V.S.C. (Very Serious Challenge) @Mistress_Renata. As such, its equally serious deadline is on the third day of the third month of the next Year of the Cat.

Now that we got this Very Serious Business out of the way, would you like a purrompt to take on vacation with you, or should we save it for when you come back? :p

Last edited: Aug 29, 2023
  14. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Not sure I need a prompt. My Feline Overlord provides plenty of inspiration. I just have to sort some Sheep out, first...

15. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    What a purr-fect challenge[face_love]

I'll take Short and Sweet Purrompt Number 1 and see what my muse can cook up please, @Chyntuck:D

16. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    @Mistress_Renata Enjoy your holiday, we will all be looking forward to reading a story inspired by His Imperial Furriness when you return :) (and hopefully sheep are easier to herd than cats!)

@devilinthedetails Welcome to this catlenge! Your purrompt is below:

17. Force of Light

Force of Light Jedi Master star 1

Jan 5, 2016
    I think for this challenge, I'm going to set it in the Star Wars universe during the time when Jira was participating in the Gathering to make her own lightsaber but chickened out since she didn't want to have to face any of her "demons" (due to her being a slave on Corellia before being rescued by one Han Solo). Perhaps the cat was a stowaway (like Jira did to get off of Ilum) and Jira found him (or her) when she was attempting to get back to her homeworld of Deyer (which might be a better home for the cat than the frigid temperatures of the ice planet), which meant that Jira would have had two objectives; to find a suitable home for the cat, and to find out the truth about what happened to her father (who may have been a Jedi, which would explain where Jira got her "force sensitivity" from).

18. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Okay, I’ll take a blockbuster purrompt. #4

Last edited: Aug 30, 2023
  19. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    @DarthIshtar Good meowrning! Your purrompt is the Duet for Two Cats attributed to Rossini. The lyrics consist of several iterations of the word "miau", which Google helpfully translates as "meow" for those of us who don't speak Italian.

20. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Oh, Rossini is my classical bae. Thanks.

21. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
  22. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Me too! Of all the crazy prompts of this challenge, this one is possibly my favourite, and I just love how in this particular performance Ann Murray goes all out on the cattitude.

One thing that made putting this challenge together so entertaining was trying to imagine what individual fanficcers would do with the prompts, and so far I must say that everything is going as I have foreseen *rubs hands maniacally*

23. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    My oneshot inspired by my "suddenly, a cucumber" prompt is posted:

A Cat and a Cucumber

It is an Avatar: The Last Airbender fic featuring Lu Ten, Iroh, Lu Ten's cat, and a cucumber.

It's also told from the point of view of a cat, which is something I've never attempted before but had quite a bit of fun with, I must say[face_mischief]

Thanks again to @Chyntuck for hosting this challenge and being my muse@};-

24. gizkaspice

Nov 27, 2013
    Here's my thing where the meowing is not only talking but also meowing in singing. Meow meow meow all the way in every way. And assassin kittens doing their assassinating in Of Cat Songs, Giant Mice, and Assassin Kittens

which is part of the epic tale of LOTR/the Silmarillion but with cats and Sauron is canonically a furry :p

Last edited: Sep 5, 2023
  25. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014