main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Most Overrated Star Wars Character?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by skyrimcat9416, Dec 20, 2013.

1. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    And he turns into Inspector Clouseau in ROTJ

2. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    Boba Fett. He had virtually no character in the Skywalker Saga, and yet tons of people who never even picked up any of the expanded material were enamored with him.
    See also Darth Maul and Mace Windu.
    I'd also say Han and Vader are a little overrated. They are easily some of the best SW characters, but Luke and Palpatine are just as good or even better.

3. Lowly Gungan

Lowly Gungan Jedi Padawan star 1

Aug 11, 2022
    Mace Windu seemed fine to me. At least he has a recognizable character and some development. But yes, I like Luke better than Han and I find Palpatine more terrifying than Vader.

Actually, I might say Palpatine is somewhat underrated for such a terrifying villain.

I agree about Darth Maul.

4. CloneBlooper

CloneBlooper Jedi Grand Master star 2

Dec 20, 2002
    This is historically accurate.

It’s also worth noting they cranked up Vader’s fear factor in ESB. Everybody was intimidated by his menacing presence…apart from Boba Fett. He exuded the kind of steely self assured confidence that we had not seen since some cowboys laughed at Clint Eastward’s mule.

5. Lowly Gungan

Aug 11, 2022
    Fair. Still, if everyone was excited about Boba Fett being briefly in it, I'm not sure that was the best idea of the fans of the era, especially when Darth Vader was still more mysterious.

Sith Lord 2015 and Sarge like this.
  6. Lowly Gungan

Aug 11, 2022
    Another character would be Dexter Jettster. He was fine for me, but he is only in one scene and I have no idea why he is as popular as he is, especially in a film trilogy where the CGI is so often bashed by the fans.

Sarge likes this.
  7. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    Eh, I dunno if I'd go that far. Boba is confident and all, but I don't read him as thinking he's a match for Vader; he's sort of Vader's lackey in ESB. "As you wish".

Sith Lord 2015 likes this.
  8. Lowly Gungan

Aug 11, 2022
    Vader listened to Tarkin in the first one.

9. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I'd say Darth Maul. He's featured as one of the main faces of the prequels, and pretty much appears prominently in all TPM material-one would think the whole movie is about him! But honestly, he's just a fill in character (who barely even speaks) that is literally just there to provide a lightsaber duel in the film. TCW and Rebels elaborated on his character, and it WAS enjoyable, but IMO he should've stayed dead rather than being resurrected.

To me he's no more important to the overall story than General Grievous.

Dandelo and Sarge like this.
  10. CosmoHender

CosmoHender Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2016
    I would say the difference between Grievous and Maul is that Grievous is ultimately just a pawn. Maul started out as a pawn, certainly. But then TCW developed him into being more than a pawn, giving him a role outside of Palpatine's plan to the point where he became a rival to Palpatine, which in turn made him more interesting. Of course, this required him to be brought back from the dead after his usefulness to Palpatine had expired. This is what makes Maul easier to develop than Grievous or Dooku. Noticeably TCW didn't give either of them much development, since their fate in ROTS left little room for them to be anything more than pawns to Palpatine. Even their own motivations don't ultimately matter, especially in the context of the films.

11. Awushi Awere

Awushi Awere Jedi Knight star 2

May 11, 2020
    I re-thought about that question today and meanwhile I would probably say 'Darth Vader'.

It's like: "Yeah, actually he is not even that strong. Yeah, actually he is not even that powerful within the empire. Yeah, actually he was pretty much of a egoistic fool when he was young. But let's give him some badass moments and some by far weaker opponents so that he still looks very menacing and so on."

Yes, he is tragic and fortunately redeems himself later and it is interesting to play with his cyborg-fate like they did with the dialogue between Obi-Wan and him in the 'Kenobi'-series where they showed Anakin's face and changing voice. And the armour! And the red lightsaber! Vader's design and appearance, of course, is cool and iconic. But...I don't know...I don't "like" him. Obi-Wan Kenobi (and probably even more Jedi like prime Yoda or prime Mace Windu) would crush him anytime as it seems and he is "just" this dark executioner of Palpatine, the true evil antagonist. A tragic jerk for me. But some people sound like "Vader is Star Wars and there is no one like Vader" - and on that I don't agree.

12. wreath

wreath Jedi Padawan star 2

Aug 21, 2021
    overrated imo are: kyle katarn mara jade mace windu starkiller

13. The Emotional Jedi

The Emotional Jedi Jedi Knight star 3

May 18, 2021