main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mush-less Fan Fiction

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Daughter_Of_TheForce, Dec 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    My favorite mushy line because it's so stupid:

"Yes, I love you. Now go and save the world like a good girl!"

2. Darth_Tim

Darth_Tim Jedi Master star 4

Feb 26, 2002
    Oh, nice thread!

(Guess as the guy who spawned the "Rage against the mush-ine" slogan, I should chime in, eh?)

Well, two of my fics (Unforgiven and In Darkness, Bind Them) are entirely mush free, and with Duel of the Fates my goal was to write an Episode II that focused on things other than the A/A storyline, which seemed to be the main interest of many EII fics at the time I started writing the story; so while there is mush in Duel of the Fates, it's kept to a minimum and the story is mostly action and intrigue and angst. I'm known, more than anything else, for my action/battle scenes.

Why mush is so dominant? I'm not sure. SW is and has always been Star WARS, to me, so it DOES seem odd that many people define their fics by the central romantic pairings (just browse the boards and see how many say "character A/character B" in the title bar). I'm not anti-romance but I try to keep SW about war and adventure and other such things.

-Tim

3. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    Mush-free in every story and proud of it :D

4. Ty-gon Jinn

Ty-gon Jinn Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 12, 2000
    There has been very little mush in my fics (only a few O/C pairings in round-robin-created backstories and such, since, hey, everyone has parents). I have to say, though, in both The Shadows of Conflict and The Cost of Honor, MUSH IS COMING.

I think that's one of the reasons I joined Ishtar's New Sadistic Sith Order... their discussions of "Love With Limits." :)

You can't build a fic on mush. Mush slides, mush squishes, mush is the most infirm foundation you could have.

So get a plot going, and avoid being a shipper, then throw a little mush on top.

5. Daughter_Of_TheForce

Daughter_Of_TheForce Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 1, 2001
    When I see that "_____ /_____" thing in the title, I just roll on. It's like a big red flag to me.

6. AlrikFassbauer

AlrikFassbauer Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 2, 2003
    Be careful with ___/___ : I've written a story in German/English ! :p :D

7. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    yes! I hate the character pairings, unless it's 'L/l adventure story' and then it might be worth the read. but those are actually h/l smutfics in disguise. urgh!

8. ZaraValinor

ZaraValinor Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 31, 2002
    And here I thought I was the only one against mush. I personal prefer fanfics that have a lot of philosphy and noility. I'm crazy.

9. Ty-gon Jinn

Ty-gon Jinn Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 12, 2000
    What is "noility"? Are we missing a letter?

10. GuerreStellari

GuerreStellari Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 23, 2003
    Maybe it's "notility." But I don't know what that means, either.

Nonetheless, regarding the mush quagmire (ha ha, funny word) I realize that all mush is written by authors who have a huge crush on one of the characters. Thus, since I, too, have had crushes on Han Solo and, now, Obi-Wan Kenobi, I totally understand.

But, even for me, too much mush is just too much. Stories which are just an endless series of scenes where Obi-Wan is tortured, cries, is comforted, is tortured, cries, is comforted... GAH! Stop! Enough!

Personally, I think it's much better to have a reeeally strong storyline. But, also, there can be good mush. Like showing that these characters who seem to be endlessly tortured also have a light side. Or an angry side. Or whatever.

They are human, and no human is going to cry for months straight (as Obi often does in some fics). Even Hamlet, the prince of depression, had his good days.

11. RebelScum77

RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2003
    I will speculate on the A&P mush (as I am wont to do)... as most of the Saga stories I read contain some at times and as I am a Defender of the A&P love story...

I think sometimes the mush is used to compensate for the tragedy that is the real life of Anakin and Padme. Sometimes it's just too depressing to think about and mush is used to alleviate that a bit...that maybe if Anakin spends a certain percentage of his life gettin' some, he won't turn :p But a lot of people just seem to like romance stories in general especially with beloved characters like Anakin, Padme, Obi-Wan etc. (though for the life of me I don't understand the Obidala thing... why, god, why!?)

Personally I tend to only read/write stories that give new meaning or insight into the actual world that GL created (as in no AU). I don't think that pure romantic mush really fits into that well (most of the time, I don't want to overgeneralize). But I love to read romance when it's done well- with passion and tenderness but also with a little darkness, even a sense of danger- as the "real" A&P love story seems to be. Although personally I like a lot of angsty darkness (foreshadowing!).

The best example of a "romance" story that does everything right, free of what I'd call mush, is stacysatrip's Bring Me to Life (which deals with the A&P stuff you didn't see in AOTC). I'd definitely read that before writing off romance completely ;)

12. Daughter_Of_TheForce

Daughter_Of_TheForce Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 1, 2001
    But a lot of people just seem to like romance stories in general especially with beloved characters like Anakin, Padme, Obi-Wan etc. (though for the life of me I don't understand the Obidala thing... why, god, why!?)

I don't know. I'm as perplexed by that as anyone. :p

I think part of the reason why mush (I'm separating it from romance here) is so prevalent is that it's relatively safe to write. It's so common that it's easy to imitate. There's little risk of going off the rails because readers are familiar with the set-up.

It's too familiar for me. Not in the sense that it's "touchy-feely", but in the sense that there's only so many kinds of mush out there. So one story feels like another, feels like another, feels like another...and so forth.

I search the first couple of pages in each forum then give up.

13. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    though for the life of me I don't understand the Obidala thing... why, god, why!?

I know exactly why. Young women are attracted to Ewan, and some of them not really SW at all. But they write SW wherein.. oh, you know... that character that Ewan plays... what's his name... OB1? Anyway, in which he falls in love, because it gives them a chance to be like 'aww, look how adorably romantic this is. I shall imagine myself as female x in this story and all will be right with my fantasy world'. I honestly don't think many of them care for the couple as a couple. It's just that Obi-Wan needs a chick and the only female he knows is Padme. Well, besides Jocasta Nu, that is. And that's just... uhg *shudders*.

-sj loves kevin spacey

14. Jaina_and_Jag

Jaina_and_Jag Jedi Master star 5

Apr 19, 2003
    I can read mushless fanfiction but alas I prefer mush in fanfiction alot more. [face_love] Can't live without a bit of love. [face_love]

15. RebelScum77

Aug 3, 2003
    LOL!

I dunno solojones, sadly you may be right. I like to go around in a happy place full of sunshine and roses where no one ever writes a story simply because they think the actor is hot. It's a waste of your time, a waste of my time, and disrespectful of the characters given to us. Mush isn't what really bothers me, this is what bothers me. I mean people can write whatever they want, whatever, but that's what I think about that.

16. Darth_Tim

Feb 26, 2002
    YEah...I often joke that if Anakin wasn't hot, I wonder how many female fans would be so quick to attempt to justify his every action..hehe

(Of course, I'd probably be shot :D)

I think it a cardinal sin of fanfic to let one's infatuation with a character interfere with characterization. Not saying an Obi romance is impossible - but there has to be a context in the story for such a thing to take place.

-Tim

17. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Exactly, Tim. Actually, the idea of any Jedi falling in love is a really intriguing one. But barely anyone ever handles it realistically. Which is a shame, because it is a key flaw in the Jedi Order, trying to force people to deny their humanity. It would make for a really interesting love story, especially with someone as commited as Obi-Wan, but people just don't know how to handle it, and I don't have the time ;)

-sj loves kevin spacey

18. Darth_Tim

Feb 26, 2002
    Yeah..though I think it interesting that there is this "Oh, so-and-so Jedi is hot, and he can't fall in love...those horrible, bad, mean Jedi!" mentality... but love is not the be all and end all of existence - and I daresay many Jedi lead quite fullfilling lives within the rules of the Order.

-Tim

19. Darth_Tim

Feb 26, 2002
    I think sometimes the mush is used to compensate for the tragedy that is the real life of Anakin and Padme. Sometimes it's just too depressing to think about and mush is used to alleviate that a bit...that maybe if Anakin spends a certain percentage of his life gettin' some, he won't turn But a lot of people just seem to like romance stories in general especially with beloved characters like Anakin, Padme, Obi-Wan etc. (though for the life of me I don't understand the Obidala thing... why, god, why!?) >>

Actually, I LIKE the tragic aspect of A/A...because IMHO Anakin would be rather dull if he DIDN'T turn...and yes, I am a member of the Defenders' too, but I'm no fan of happily ever after Mr Perfect Anakin-Sue.

And sometimes, life *is* tragic, whether one likes it or not.

Although, sometimes, mush writers butcher Padme's character...instead of the brilliant tactician and talented leader of TPM who happens to also be a woman capable of great warmth and compassion, we get some lovesick characature of Padme, with all the life and interesting aspects of her personality seemingly sucked out of her. I've always tried to make her a woman of principle, above all else. Yes, she does love Anakin - but not at the cost of her fundamental ideals, at least, IMHO.

-Tim

20. RebelScum77

Aug 3, 2003
    Actually, I LIKE the tragic aspect of A/A...because IMHO Anakin would be rather dull if he DIDN'T turn...and yes, I am a member of the Defenders' too, but I'm no fan of happily ever after Mr Perfect Anakin-Sue.

And sometimes, life *is* tragic, whether one likes it or not.

Oh no, I totally agree. Bring on the tragedy! I'm not one of those people who overcompensate, I always have darkness in my stories because that *is* life, especially their life. I actually always seem to favor tragedy over any other genre. I mean Anakin's fall will still break my heart as will what happens to Padme, but it's how the story should be and what makes it so powerful.

21. DarthLothi

DarthLothi Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 4, 2001
    I knew before I even clicked on this thread that I'd find Ish and Tim in here. ;)

Ditto what Tim said about Padme's character assassination in some mushfics. That kind of thing skips over the very core of her being.

I don't mind romance in fics, but stories that have obviously had a plot built around getting two characters together just don't hold my attention. They're insulting to the characters.

Having said that, I would probably read such a contrivance by Ishy, if only because I know that it would eventually lead to a very creative and horrific death scene to balance out the mush. :p

22. Reihla

Reihla Jedi Master star 3

May 17, 2002
    Just a theory, but I think people write what they like to read. Romance readers tend to write more romantically centered works, etc.

I like all types of fics from mushy to mushless. My writing (heh, not like I've been prolific ;) ) tends more towards mushy/character development pieces simply because they aren't as difficult for me to write. I'm working on my adventure/action writing skills, but its been slow going so far. It seems a lot like work - not that this is a bad thing, just means I need more practice. I've noticed that it does get easier the more of it I try to do.

I could just wish that fics were read in their entirety and judged on their own merit sometimes, instead of immediately categorized - and often discarded - based on the first few posts. Not throwing stones, or anything because I have to admit I'm as guilty of that as anyone. That's just me reminding myself not to ignore all the action-only writers out there.

23. Darth_Tim

Feb 26, 2002
    I'm working on my adventure/action writing skills, but its been slow going so far. It seems a lot like work - not that this is a bad thing, just means I need more practice. I've noticed that it does get easier the more of it I try to do.

That's the way of it. Like anything else, it takes work. But considering lots of people write romance, the fandom can IMHO always use more aspiring action/adventure writers!

I could just wish that fics were read in their entirety and judged on their own merit sometimes, instead of immediately categorized - and often discarded - based on the first few posts. Not throwing stones, or anything because I have to admit I'm as guilty of that as anyone. That's just me reminding myself not to ignore all the action-only writers out there.

Oh, I agree. One should not judge a piece of writing too quickly...but I confess something like "mush vignette" or "songfic" tends to send up red warning signs....

I guess I really just look for balance. And to me, since Star Wars is a fast moving adventure story set primarily in wartime, with the main characters being warriors, politicians, criminals, and the like, I tend to expect a certain amount of action and plot development. I don't mind romance if it is well-done and not merely for it's own sake, and if it doesn't upset the overall balance. And while "character development" is nice, and necessary, I get bored very quickly when I read page after page of introspection while the storyline itself goes nowhere. Characters cannot change and develop when events in their lives and the world around them do not also change and develop.

Most of my favorite fics reflect these qualities, and I hope my own writing does as well.

-Tim

24. RebelScum77

Aug 3, 2003
    That's the way of it. Like anything else, it takes work. But considering lots of people write romance, the fandom can IMHO always use more aspiring action/adventure writers!

I agree about writing what you yourself are interested in. To be honest romance can be really easy to write (it can also be difficult when complex) but it's much harder to write good action/adventure. Especially in a world as complex as SW, where you have to spend so much time researching. The second you name the wrong ship people are all over you. The same doesn't happen for character driven pieces.

Oh, I agree. One should not judge a piece of writing too quickly...but I confess something like "mush vignette" or "songfic" tends to send up red warning signs....

This is true, I have a tendance to avoid AU pieces, but I really shouldn't. If fact I'm going to be working on one to get over that. However don't write off "songfics"! LOL.. I wrote one ("Too Much of Not Enough") that could loosely be described as a songfic vignette and while it deals with the love story, it's quite dark, no mush or sentimentality whatsoever.

don't mind romance if it is well-done and not merely for it's own sake, and if it doesn't upset the overall balance. And while "character development" is nice, and necessary, I get bored very quickly when I read page after page of introspection while the storyline itself goes nowhere. Characters cannot change and develop when events in their lives and the world around them do not also change and develop.

Of course everyone likes what they like, but I think character development pieces are fascinating and neccesary. Maybe I'm just a vignette kind of person but an indepth look of one specific moment or scene can be infinitly valuable. Especially in the underdeveloped romance of Anakin and Padme (not that I'm critizing by any means). Getting into the head of either one in the meadow or confession scene (etc) can really help you understand where they're coming from, especially with Anakin, because understanding him mentally (in love) is so important later on (and I'm not talking mush here). So while these character and romance pieces are for their own sake- they are more than that. They still fit into your understanding of the world and overall story.

25. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    ::Highfives Lothi.:: And I knew you'd come in here to see if I were in here. Spot-on about the results.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.