main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph [NERRRD] Observations, rhetorical questions, comments & 55 Years of Star Trek (General Thread)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Guy, Jun 10, 2009.

1. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
  2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Things probably got overshadowed by Uma Thurman's Kill bill/Weinstein situation and having to come to Tarintino's defense.

3. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    @Ender Sai

Ender Sai likes this.
  4. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    The film is about the Sharon Tate murderers, which happened in - if I'm not mistaken - Benedict Cumberbatch in 1969. Given there will be swearing, attractive women and breasts, Albert's likely to pass out from the lack of blood flowing to the brain.

TX-20 and Diggy like this.
  5. Kenneth Morgan

May 27, 1999
    Happy Birthday to...
    [​IMG]

6. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  7. Kenneth Morgan

May 27, 1999
    Belated Happy Birthday to...
    [​IMG]

8. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2014
  9. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    The last two were not good. Perhaps this occurred to them?

Sarge likes this.
  10. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
  11. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    FTFY

12. PCCViking

PCCViking 8X Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014
    I liked Nemesis.

13. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    Me too.

If not for the various plot holes and occasional issues I had with the execution of the action sets, it could have been the bona fide TNG classic to replace First Contact.

14. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    seeker_two likes this.
  15. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Agreed. Nemesis needed a bigger budget according to Brent Spiner. Picard and Data escaping from Shizon’s ship originally intended to five min set piece action sequence, but it still managed to give us an excellent tactical starship battle.

PCCViking likes this.
  16. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    '09 and Beyond were both pretty good.

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Ironically, if they had had a larger budget, that excellent tactical battle wouldn't have replaced the larger scale fleet battle they initially intended. Though i suppose one would hope that the film's excellent sense of starship combat tactics would have translated to the larger scale, it may not have had quite the same level of detail as the more personal battle (but at least we'd be looking at busier Federation bridges on viewscreens instead of the empty and decidedly low-budget-looking new Warbird bridges).

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
  18. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2014
  19. Kenneth Morgan

May 27, 1999
    Happy Birthday to...
    [​IMG]

20. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    Same day as Clara Oswald.

Must be the day of insufferable birthdays.

21. Kenneth Morgan

May 27, 1999
  22. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    So I'm glad it sounds like they're going with the initial George Kirk is involved with Hemsworth and Pine idea that was floating when Beyond came out (Although JJ promoting it saying "It's my favourite idea we've ever done" when they were trying to sell Beyond was bizarre). Maybe the Tarantino idea wouldn't even involve the Kevlin timeline cast? Anyway, I doubt Tarantino will direct the Star Trek movie but I do think we'll see that movie made, even if Star Trek 14 tanks cuz they can sell it on Tarantino's name anyway.

Last edited: May 2, 2018
  23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    [​IMG]

I haven't really done a detailed comparison in the past between the two different versions of the movie, even though I'm aware of the larger changes/upgrades made, but I didn't notice until I was looking at sources for this screenshot that the lovely reflection in this shot is only in the Director's Cut- the original version is just of Shatner. Nice little added touch.

24. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Yah I think the directors cut isn't available in HD and beyond, though, when they did it it was only standard def for the alternations.

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, it sucks since you have to pick and choose your sourcing. When I finally get around to making my personal edit of TMP, I'm genuinely interested to see how much of the film I can source from the theatrical BD even though I'd be using the DC DVD as the base edit.

Obviously some of the FX shots, such as that reflection or major ones such as the new exterior bridge to V'Ger shot, are out of the question, but since I'll be trimming out a lot of scenes that heavily feature the new FX work (such as Vulcan and the wormhole), it may not be as problematic and allow me some higher rez options for the majority of the rest.

One can hope that, maybe, one day Paramount will revisit TMP and upscale the new FX work, as well as the directors cuts for TWOK & TUC 9I don't think those have hit BD yet, either). Certainly more plausible at this point than HD DS9/VOY, alas.

Last edited: May 12, 2018