main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Social Newbie Welcome Party - The House-Warming Party!

Discussion in 'Welcome New Users' started by Skiara , Sep 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lady_Belligerent

Lady_Belligerent Queen of the RPF, SWC, C&P, and Pancakes & Waffles star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 29, 2008
    The damage is devastating. I just read that the power grid for New Orleans is gone and the water and sewage systems are quickly going down as well. Uprooted trees have torn open the pipes. :(

Other cities in that are are just as seriously damaged.

2. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    One of our users in Lake Charles reported in over in the weather/natural disaster thread in Community. Said he had some wind but all there is OK.

3. DarthIshyZ

DarthIshyZ Chosen One star 8

Jan 8, 2005
    I heard on the news what I consider to be the most important news. The new levees held so far. That was the biggest problem last time.

4. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    I held my breath until I saw that for myself on CNN this morning after I woke up. The power is still out, and it's still awful.

5. Lady_Belligerent

Lady_Belligerent Queen of the RPF, SWC, C&P, and Pancakes & Waffles star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 29, 2008
    We have a lot of family in the Lake Charles area that breathed a huge sigh of relief that the storm tracked more easterly. They really can’t take any more hits to their area.

6. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    That was his reaction as well. His house still isn't totally fixed from the last time. (Insurance issues).

7. Lady_Belligerent

Jan 29, 2008
    Our fam is in the same situation @LAJ_FETT it’s really a sad situation.

8. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    At least Lake Charles dodged this one.

9. Darth Gangrenous

Darth Gangrenous Chosen One star 10

Jun 1, 2005
    My friend and the somewhat tame feral cat that she takes care of are safe which is the main thing. Roof damage, water spots on the ceiling and rain blew in under the door so possibly some floor damage. She's in post catastrophe shock right now, not knowing what do do next. I gave her the FEMA and other resources phone numbers that I found in a news article. She has renter's insurance so that will help(if it's a reputable insurance company).

More than 2 million are without electricity(between Louisiana and Mississippi) and it's rather warm and humid there. I heard that one of the power transmission towers was damaged or destroyed so it could be days or weeks before people get electricity restored.

10. DarthIshyZ

Jan 8, 2005
    I went through David ('79, Cat 2 when it reached us) when I lived in Florida. Because we were prepared for it, it was more interesting than anything. An experience. Among the curiosities:
    - Seeing a doghouse roll down the road
    - Seing a walking catfish on the road afterwards.
    - Flushing toilets by pouring buckets of water down. Gotta be frugal with that until after the storm, then there's plenty in the swails.

We had hurricane blinds on our windows. Others put up plywood or duct-taped theirs. Most of our neighbors bugged out, too.

Afterwards, there was a good amount of damage, but we worked on it as a community.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2021
  11. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    We had rain storms but nothing like Ida.

12. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Hurricane season is the worst. I much prefer winter. The colder it is the better. Unless it’s to cold. :p

13. Darth Gangrenous

Jun 1, 2005
    Yeah unlike sand, snow isn't coarse, rough, or irritating. :p

14. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    Just wet and cold and miserable. And when you are rugged up for it try scratching your back!?!!?

15. DarthIshyZ

Jan 8, 2005
    "Rugged up" I like that term.

16. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    That's a vey Aussie term ;)

17. DarthIshyZ

Jan 8, 2005
    And, why they didn't use it in Crocodile Dundee, we'll never know. Used all the rest of 'em, I think.

18. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    Not all, hardly 50% I'd say. And the slang is different from state to state. I only learned recently that a word I use often is local to my city even, and is based on an Aboriginal word! So........use 'boonta' in a sentence ;)

darthbernael likes this.
  19. DarthIshyZ

Jan 8, 2005
    Anakin used it. Apparently Boonta's a holiday on Tattooine and they have the race the day before. Now, what the residents of Tattooine have to take a holiday from, we'll never know.

20. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    Not a holiday here, and it's very localised to my city.

darthbernael and DarthIshyZ like this.
  21. Darth Gangrenous

Jun 1, 2005
    Cold and miserable? You don't know what you're talking about. It's so pleasant and beautiful to look at and when you drive around in it at night it's like you're flying through space.

22. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    Trust me, I hated it, and will be happy to never see it again.

23. Darth Gangrenous

Jun 1, 2005
    But driving in it at night you can pretend you are in the cockpit of an X-wing flying around trying to blowup the Empire's latest super weapon. :p

24. Lady_Belligerent

Jan 29, 2008
    Or the Empire is chasing her, I think I like that. [face_tee_hee]

25. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    Or I'm chasing Imperials.........I think I like that better.... ;):p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.