main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Ochi of Bestoon

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by DarthWolvo23, Dec 26, 2019.

1. JohnWilliamsSonoma

JohnWilliamsSonoma Force Ghost star 4

Aug 7, 2003
    But Rey sees Ochi's ship leaving with her parents on it so he must have been leaving Jakku with his parents in tow?

Also, how did the sith loyalist speeder get UNDER the sand? did the whole thing sink?

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
  2. ScreamingWoman2019

ScreamingWoman2019 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2018
    No problem.

Also, the term 'clan leader' is not canon. In the credits he's listed as a KOR. What's more, in the vision he tries to attack someone in front of him. Maybe he knew Ochi and also Rey's 'parents', and betrayed both (first the 'parents' , then Ochi); and then, years later, he suffered the same fate. We'll see.
    In the Rise of Kylo Ren #2, we see Ren and his knights trying to recruit another KOR. We are presented with a pair of brothers, and neither of them are up to the challenge, but for different reasons:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    'The master will find us someone else soon enough'. The KOR/clan leader? Maybe Rey's 'father', or her mother, had a brother.
    Yeah, something like that. I also wonder if 'filthy junk traders' and 'blow that piece of junk out of the sky' are related. I mean, the MF has been there as far as Rey can remember, and Han lost the ship around the 'profound tragedy' episode (TFA VD); and that happened years before Ben turned. Ben/Kylo is angry at the ship for whatever reason.

ColeFardreamer likes this.
  3. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    From the timeline I got the Falcon was lost not concurrent but a couple years after the incident with Rey's parents. So it can't be tied to them although I'd like that more than the weird series of thefts story we got for it in comics.

Still the Falcon may have carried the Palpatine family to Jakku and left again. Which is when Unkar started to like the ship he would later procure. That'd even closer tie Han and Chewie to Rey's parents who had booked passage to Jakku. But we got no little Rey remembering the Falcon and wouldn't she have given she recalls so many other details about another ship?

4. Artorian_Stormtrooper

Artorian_Stormtrooper Jedi Knight star 2

May 1, 2019
    Does anyone remember if Ochi's ship is still out there? Or was it destroyed?

5. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    The heroes took it to Kijimi but when they liberated the Falcon, they left it behind in a Stardestroyer Hangar.

Iron_lord likes this.
  6. Artorian_Stormtrooper

Artorian_Stormtrooper Jedi Knight star 2

May 1, 2019
    Yes, Kylo's Stardestroyer, if I'm correct. Though, I can't recall if it was destroyed or not in the end. I really like Ochi's ship and hope that it wasn't destroyed, because it would be great if Finn finds and takes possession of it since he's been learning to fly.

7. The Senate

The Senate Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 12, 2020
    I don't think theres a thread for this but I was wondering what era he supposedly "hunted Jedi" was it during order 66?The old republic?Also what made him so powerful that he could kill Jedi?

8. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    I get the feeling he's like a Cad Bane level bounty hunter / soldier that Palpatine hired post Order 66 during the Empire to hunt down surviving hidden Jedi. He's a hired gun or independant contractor. He's also like an Inquisitor but without Force powers. Ochi is not Force sensative. He's totally lethal and skilled. But these are regular talents, not Force aided skills. Cad Bane, Jango Fett, and some other Bounty Hunters can go toe to toe in a fight with Jedi. Ochi is an elite bounty hunter like this.

My guess is his other special skill is knowledge of the Force / Jedi / and the Sith. Not knowledge how to use the Force, but a more academic / or archeologist view of Jedi and Force users. This allows him to better see clues leading to Jedi that even the most skilled Bounty Hunter might miss. That's what makes Ochi a specialized Jedi Hunter, not just a Bounty Hunter. That's why he has a Sith Logo on his speeder, he's into this stuff. He can most likely speak and read Sith. He'd be a faith worshiper if he ever got to Exegol.

This knowledge also would allow Ochi of Bestoon to be given special assignments by Palpatine when it comes to Force objects or Force places. These are missions Palpatine might not want to send one of his Force users on, out of concern they would use the power or knowledge gained in said mission against Palpatine. But Ochi not having the Force means it's strictly a job for him and he is incapable of tapping into the real treasure or value. He can't use the powers he finds against Palpatine.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2020
    Lulu Mars likes this.
  9. ScreamingWoman2019

Aug 11, 2018
    There's a difference between jedi hunters and jedi killers.

There's similarity, since Jedi Killers 'hunt'. Jedi are 'prey'. But a jedi hunter can also be a jedi kidnapper. That would mean FS kids. If you want the jedi crushed, future/potential jedi are already jedi in a way.

So maybe Ochi is a kidnapper (or a kidkiller, if the kids are really not kids and too old to be kidnapped and more of an immediate threat)

Ochi doesn't seem like a 'proper' jedi killer. That's Vader , who 'helped the Empire hunt down and destroy' the jedi; or Kylo Ren, who was called jedi killer during development.

Potentially threatening FS kids and parents, specific missions; that's what we see in TROS, and maybe that's what Ochi usually did.

Rey and her parents would have been another assignment. Probably he didn't know who she was.

10. Ben-Solo

Ben-Solo Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2017
    Ochi was a “Jedi Hunter” per Chris Terrio (see below)

Chris Terrio said the following in the BTS feature of The Rise of Skywalker (2:27:00) of the feature;

“Ochi of Bestoon, ..”Ochi was a Jedi Hunter who was loyal to the Emperor, ever since the days of the Empire. He’s an evil character who essentially functions as the Assasin. So in the course of the film, Rey ends up on the ship where her parents were killed.”

They also said they wanted his ship to have the feel of three decades of abandonment. During the snippet with Chris Terrio they also cut to the scene where Finn & Poe discuss Ochi

“He was going to Exegol, to bring a little girl he was supposed to take from Jakku to the Emperor” - Finn to Poe Dameron (aboard Ochi of Bestoon ship on Passana)

More from the Visual Dictionary pg. 126

“Ochi was a known associate of Imperial Advisor Yupe Tashu and the self-styled Acolytes of the beyond. Ochi was obsessed with Ancient Sith arcana. Enabled by Tashu he poured over forbidden Sith texts....Ochi was no mere relic hunter in the employ of the Empires most sinister agents he was also an assasin.”

Lulu Mars likes this.
  11. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    When Rey is watching Ochi's ship leaving Jakku in The Force Awakens, it does make you wonder whether we are watching a scene where Ochi was already looking for her, and not a scene in which she is being abandoned.

Could Unkar Plutt be saying "Quiet girl" in an effort to prevent her discovery? Puts a new slant on things. Hmm

Lulu Mars likes this.
  12. Bor Gullet

Bor Gullet Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 8, 2018
    I want to know if Ochi was killed by the sandworm or what happened to him. We are sure to have that story told one day. I want to see his sweet mercedes benz speeder in action.

On a side note, I like how, I think it was Mark Thompson, voiced him in the audiobook. He didn't have a voice in the movie so he had to make it up I suppose.
    He has a nice raspy evil voice.

13. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Thread merge.

14. ScreamingWoman2019

Aug 11, 2018
    Ochi seems to have died a pretty ridiculous death. I suppose he was disposed of after inscribing the patricide in the dagger. And that dagger was not for him to keep or use. Ochi was not longer useful.

Luke's father was betrayed and murdered by Vader in ANH. When it came to Rey's father maybe there was a murderer (Ochi) and a betrayer. Rey's parents were betrayed and then Ochi was betrayed and left in Pasaana.

Maybe it was the same guy. Rey's parents belonged to the clan in those 2015 leaks, so the best candidate is that clan leader in the vision, who was listed as a KOR in the TFA credits. All KOR look like KOR, but not this guy.

What about Rey's mother? We don't see Ochi killing her. These two shots are pretty similar:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This was 6 years before TFA, or less. Kylo Ren is already there. Rey was 12-13.
    Was matricide someone else's plan for Ben/Kylo? Someone (wearing a cape?) is moving behind Rey. She turns...and little Rey is there.

15. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    But it wouldn't have been three decades, based on what we have been told about Rey's age around the time of TFA.

16. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Bless you.
    Bless you.

Sorry, I couldn't resist :p

17. Ben-Solo

Apr 19, 2017
    That’s what Chris Terrio said in the BTS featurette. I don’t know what to tell you

18. ScreamingWoman2019

Aug 11, 2018
    TROS VD, Ochi's ship section:
    [​IMG]
    30 BSI. That's roughly three decades before TROS. So, maybe the ship was in Jakku the whole time. Then it was used and remained in Pasaana. The 'feel' of three decades of abandonment would have remained if the ship was used just that one time.

'Acolytes of the Beyond'. So, Ochi was one of them and he arrived in that ship during the empire's collapse?

Ben-Solo likes this.
  19. Ben-Solo

Apr 19, 2017
    Exactly; I take Chris Terrio at this word and The Rise of Skywalker, visual dictionary supports Terrio's statement.

20. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    So... when the Visual Dictionary talks about Ochi's "assassination assignments" requiring him to quickly fly the ship to the other side of the galaxy, it really means there was only one assignment and the ship was only used one time? When it talks about his murders it means just Rey's parents, nobody else?

When it cites the ship's "more than a decade of inactivity", it really means "three decades of inactivity"?

Hardly. It's more likely Terrio is just bad at math.

( You never know, he could have had an "I am all the Michael Reaves" moment. )

21. Awushi Awere

Awushi Awere Jedi Knight star 2

May 11, 2020
    Soon we are going to finally learn more about Ochi of Bestoon in the Vader 2020 Comics.

22. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    Wonder if Ochi might appear in the Kenobi series?

KyleKartan likes this.
  23. himeshlem79

himeshlem79 Jedi Youngling

Nov 3, 2020
    I haven't read many short works of fantasy (aside from stories in Sanderson's Arcanum Unbounded) so I was wondering if there are any fantasy anthologies that are considered to be really good. I'm fine with collections that only include one author, or ones with pieces written by multiple people. Thanks!
    192.168.0.1 routerlogin 192.168.l.l

24. Darth Megatronus

Darth Megatronus Jedi Knight star 3

May 17, 2020
    I’ve hurt my brain trying to comprehend how Ochi and the dagger fit into the plot. This is the most logical timeline I can come up with, but there’s still a few holes.

1. someone (probably a member of Sith eternal) carves the coordinates of the way finder on the dagger, and shapes the blade so it’ll fit the shape of the DS wreckage. I’m assuming this happens shortly before they contact Ochi.
    2. Sith cultist gives dagger to Ochi, orders him to kill Rey’s parents, and bring Rey to Exegol. He is supposed to use the dagger to find the wayfinder after he has Rey.
    3. He pursues Rey and her parents. Her parents flee to Jakku.
    4. Rey’s parents decide to sell Rey to Unkar Plutt to keep her safe. They leave the planet, Rey yells “come back!” as the ship takes off.
    5. Ochi finds her parents in space. He kills them with the dagger after they refuse to reveal Rey’s location. He goes to Pasaana, falls into the quicksand and dies.

so it kinda works, but I still don’t get why the Sith don’t just give him the wayfinder. Or why they bother carving the blade so it aligns with the Death Star wreckage.

25. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    This plot was such a mess. Why the hell would Ochi dare kill Rey's parents? Why wouldn't Rey's parents be brought to Palpatine so he could simply get the info from their minds? Why weren't they traced back to Jakku? Or were they? Why wouldn't Rey be found? It's not like there's anywhere or anyone to hide among. Are we really supposed to believe the likes of Unkar Plutt would keep her hidden? Even if he didn't know someone was looking for her, if one came looking, he would give her up in a heartbeat.

PendragonM and Watcherwithin like this.