main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Acolyte Official “The Acolyte” Series Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Darth Chiznuk , Apr 22, 2020.

1. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Doesn’t seem particularly controversial to me. And it just got major big-screen treatment in Dune 2, to significant critical and, it seems, audience acclaim.

Mostly Handless likes this.
  2. Foreign32567

Foreign32567 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 4, 2021
    Wonder what attributes of the Golden Age aside from Jedi robes will be shown.

It is more possible that not the topic itself will be controversial, but rather the portrayal of the Jedi's policies regarding other Force sects.

3. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Indeed. I am overall excited and interested in the series, but I really, really hope that the creators don't portray the jedi as a the Spanish Inquisition/40K Inquisition or something, especially since the high republic has otherwise being portraying the jedi as the most conciliatory of the various force sects and the ones that help smooth over disagreements between the groups.

4. Mostly Handless

Mostly Handless Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 11, 2017
    Agreed. I’m on board with thoughtful nuanced criticism of the Jedi (in fact I even think that could be good for the franchise overall), but showing them policing use of the force outside the Order would be going too far IMO.

Edit: I’m pretty sure the show-runner has mentioned portraying a less restrictive take on the Jedi, than in the PT, due to the story being set in the High-Republic era (apparently she’s a fan of those books). So hopefully that won’t be the case.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2024
  5. Jedi Master Frizzy

Jedi Master Frizzy Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    I wonder if like Ahsoka show we will get a crawl wall of text. This is a new era. And like Ahsoka will both connect with talks about the Force? See someone who could have been a jedi like Sabine but was denied it by the Jedi Order and in doing so lures them into arms of the Sith.

MercenaryAce likes this.
  6. Foreign32567

Jun 4, 2021
    There is chance that at the end of Phase III
    , after figuring out the Nihil's complete history and more details about their connection with the Path of the Open Hand, the Jedi can overreact and start to monitor other sects much more carefully.

Seems like the only way to establish the timeline of this series for viewers (aside from big "132 BBY" label akin to Andor).

7. SHAD0W-JEDI

SHAD0W-JEDI Force Ghost star 4

May 20, 2002
    I'm always hopeful about any new SW project, but more than a little cautious about this one given the tone of the talk of those behind the show. We'll see.

I am not a fan of the whole "Grey Jedi" thing, nor am I a fan of the take that the Jedi were fundamentally flawed. I know some folks hear that last bit and assume people like me think the Jedi are beyond criticism - and I don't agree. To me, there is a difference between saying the Jedi of a particular era have drifted off course, or that particular Jedi have made mistakes or gone off track to a degree. That is one reason I was happy to see Rey push back on Luke's assessment that the Jedi "needed to end".

I heard one You Tuber put it perfectly -- there is a difference between saying "these Jedi are flawed" and "the Jedi way is flawed". The Jedi were, after all, a highly effective force for good for what...centuries? More? The idea that the Jedi way needed radical reform just doesn't work for me. I have said here more than once, somewhat jokingly (but only somewhat) that over the years I've seen the rise of a school of thought that embraces the idea of SW being the story of "how those stuffy Jedi are to blame for everything". What can I say....not my school of thought.

We'll see. I always hope the "next SW thing" will be great.

theorenwulf and MercenaryAce like this.
  8. TK-2814

TK-2814 Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 20, 2019
    God I’ve never bought into the “flawed” argument, but that mentality has grown more frustrating every time I hear it. Because no one in this galaxy is flawless so to condemn the Jedi for their imperfections is BS. Worst is how it absolves the Sith for their actions.

MercenaryAce and SHAD0W-JEDI like this.
  9. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    I get the sense the one thing that people focus on when it comes to the flaws of the Jedi is that they take force sensitive children away from their family to be trained. Which does obviously seem unfair to the family. Which also does sound bad. But obviously they don't do it forcefully. The Jedi are basically saying your child is gifted and we want to make them a peace keeper to do good in the galaxy. But to do that they need distance from attachment. And the 2 sides of that argument are to think of the family who is affected that the Jedi don't care about or that the Jedi only have good intentions for future peace.

And rumor is thats an aspect In The Acolyte will be that idea.

Maybe that will be stretched to the degree of making them appear heartless and that being a fault. Who knows.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2024
  10. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    So long as the parents consent, I don’t see it as being much different than children being given to monasteries to be raised in a particular faith.

A recurring theme in interviews is that the show will deal with the idea of who gets the right to wield power. Which makes me think that perhaps we will see things more like what we saw in TotJ where, if I recall, Dooku and Qui-Gon are sent to planet to suppress dissidents who are rebelling over mistreatment by the legal rulers.

It might be that the Jedi are perceived as being enforcers to maintaining an increasingly corrupt status quo. That the Republic has lost its capacity to evolve to meet changing political realities.

Or whereas Ahsoka was open to training Sabine, perhaps the Jedi of this era are ultra strict and only take the most promising of pupils with others falling between the cracks.

I could see an issue where parents give their children to the Order only for those kids to be let go because they aren’t good enough and perhaps leaving a situation where there are these forgotten kids that have no family to go to anymore and are no longer in the care of the Jedi Order.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Mar 4, 2024
    MercenaryAce and Mostly Handless like this.
  11. Mostly Handless

Feb 11, 2017
  12. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
  13. Jedi Master Frizzy

Jan 15, 2018
  14. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    trailer, trailer, trailer

15. DannyD

DannyD Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2017
    Confidence!

16. Jedi Master Frizzy

Jan 15, 2018
    This will be as big as Mandalorian i feel.

17. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I have no idea what that source is but I choose to believe them!

18. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Me whenever I see any discussion of sourcing

language

Last edited: Mar 4, 2024
  19. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    That would make sense. There is a lot they will need to establish for the show watchers early. In particular, the date isn't something you can work into the dialogue.

You got the date?
    Yeah, X BBY.
    Huh, makes me wonder...what is the battle of Yavin?
    I don't know, must be important if we are counting up to it though.

I suppose it is a possibility, guess we will have to wait and see.

Interesting that was very recently a plot point in both High Republic and SWTOR, where you had two siblings and only one was taken in and the other kind of based their life around that rejection. Though a lot of differences beyond the general description though. I could very easily see something similar happen here.

That level of confidence is encouraging. Despite my reservations that I stated above, I am really getting the same feeling I was before Andor came out.

If nothing else, it should be a nice change of pace from the usual stuff.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2024
  20. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    It it’s even half as good as Andor, we’re in for a treat.

21. Cos Palpatine

Cos Palpatine Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2022
  22. Jedi Master Frizzy

Jan 15, 2018
    And both is about Downfall of the government.

23. Mostly Handless

Feb 11, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2024
    whostheBossk likes this.
  24. Jedi Master Frizzy

Jan 15, 2018
    I thought so, like Mandalorian. Short and long episodes.

25. Foreign32567

Jun 4, 2021
    Hope that neighbours like that will not cause another wave of complaints that SW live action series should be at least R-rated.

DARTH_BELO and Mostly Handless like this.