main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Official Darth Vader in Rebels Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Rob Wainfur, Feb 24, 2015.

1. Ithorians

Ithorians Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    I understand, that´s fair enough. It´s just that we had enough failures from Vader in legends (don´t make me think of TFU!!!) to be a place to walk carefully in canon. I think there is a big change from canon to legends in terms of Vader performance and relationship with the Emperor; in Legends he went from a fantastically powerful villain to ending up being more and more of a disappointment because Sidious wanted him to surpass him (didn´t like this change at all, to be honest)... in canon, Sidious seems to have all the faith in the world in him again, and Vader apparently succeeds at every challenge until Scariff and the lost of the plans.

I´ve always believed that what we see in the OT was a complete change of the status quo between them. Vader was the perfect apprentice, powerful, ruthless and extremely loyal, until he fails at stopping the rebels at Yavin. From then, Palpatine begins to feel the tide changing, with Vader not only failing him for a second time around on Bespin, but more importantly having more and more treacherous thoughts. For me, that´s why they barely tolerate each other in their lasts scenes together on Endor, before Luke´s shows up.

My guess is, they are simply saving Vader for a future story to be told in a comic book (or even a movie!) about what he was doing during Rebels´ season 3 and 4. I get the feeling it´s all about keeping his options open and not overusing him in the series, because we´ve been told time and time again that Kanan and Ezra aren´t a threat to the Sith (that´s the whole point of the Inquisitorius)...

Darth_Pevra and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  2. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Well if a somebody certain somethin' is showing up in Rebels, I would like to think Vader shows up. Even though Dave Filoni said they had taken care of the "Lieutenants" and put Vader into that category.

3. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Well we DID get a few more extra/new shots of Vader in the latest episode! (and with his exposed eye too) Man, I wonder what he told the Emperor, cuz Vader had a pretty messed up day on Malachor.

"Master, I found the Apprentice but she got pulled away into a gateway that appeared out of nowhere and I fell through the floor."
    "WHAT?!"
    "It looks like she was grabbed by a scout trooper if that helps!"
    "No, it doesn't! It just makes things more complex!"

Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
    La Calavera likes this.
  4. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015

Overall, I liked Darth Vader's role in Rebels. He initially was this unstoppable, dark force of nature. Ahsoka put up quite a fight, and her duel and conversation with him is amongst my favorite Star Wars moments of all time. I'd wager that Vader and Ahsoka were amongst my favorite aspects of the series. Plus, Jones' performance was intimidating and at times layered. I really liked how they merged Matt Lanter's voice and Jones' after Ahsoka damaged his mask. One thing that I've never heard mentioned is just how menacing Lanter's performance is through the single line, "Then you will die." It always sends chills down my spine.