main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

TV Discussion Official Dave Filoni Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by ImNotAStarWarsFanboy, Feb 28, 2015.

1. clonegeek

clonegeek Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 28, 2022
    After Ashoka, I'm starting to question Filoni's storytelling abilities. I really think you could have cut the episodes down into six of them and it would like flow better. But I'm starting to wonder if it would have just been better to just have Thrawn suddenly come back as a threat in the live action and just go from there. Fill in where he was later.

2. Jedi Master Frizzy

Jedi Master Frizzy Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    Its the JJ mystery box

Jedi_Jade-Skywalker likes this.
  3. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    No it's not.

TCF-1138 likes this.
  4. Jedi Master Frizzy

Jan 15, 2018
    He uses the same. Just different. Both JJ and Faveru uses mystery boxes and they thought him. Only outlier is RJ.

5. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Okay, but this is an appreciation thread. Take complaints elsewhere.

rumblewagon likes this.
  6. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    Meh, not really.

On topic, one more thank you to Filoni for this show, which is now my favorite, maybe tied with Kenobi at worst.

If there's one thing I never want to see, is Filoni getting help with dialogue. Please, nobody help him.

rumblewagon likes this.
  7. Jedi_Jade-Skywalker

Jedi_Jade-Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 8, 2000
    I appreciate most of Filoni's work in animation. His live action stuff, not so much. I'd appreciate Filoni even more if he went back to telling stories and developing characters the way he did in Rebels and Clone Wars.

The Chalk Jedi and rumblewagon like this.
  8. DarthHass

DarthHass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2004
    Dave Filoni must be protected at all costs.

9. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    Quoting myself from page 2 (March 2015) of this thread because what was first just a dream has become a reality. Back then, I probably would never have thought a series such as Ahsoka (Rebels Season 5:p) would have been possible. But dare to dream and who knows what may be possible. Much appreciation to Filoni for such continuing dedication to the Star Wars saga!

10. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019
    Filoni's doing pretty amazing work, overall, IMO. It's not perfect yet, but I think he has a high ceiling to improve.

rumblewagon and Bor Mullet like this.
  11. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    Time for some more appreciation! Congrats to Dave!

Dave Filoni Is Chief Creative Officer at Lucasfilm, Will Be ‘Planning the Future’ of ‘Star Wars’ Films and Shows

https://variety.com/2023/film/news/...-chief-creative-officer-star-wars-1235804125/

Last edited: Nov 21, 2023
  12. Jedi Master Frizzy

Jan 15, 2018
    More Ahsoka Tano, lol

rumblewagon likes this.
  13. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    Very happy for Dave, but my excitement is tempered by the looming likelihood of upheaval at Disney. Hopefully, he'll overcome any and all obstacles!

rocknroll41 likes this.
  14. The Chalk Jedi

Nov 8, 2019
    I can't think of anyone better for the job. He'll be working with KK to oversee all SW content, but the biggest change will be that this "places him into the development process much earlier and in a much more expansive capacity than his previous advisory duties. 'In the past, in a lot of projects I would be brought into it, I would see it after it had already developed a good ways.'” (Vanity Fair).

He'll have a lot of control, but we shouldn't expect him to be controlling: “I’m not telling people what to do, but I do feel I’m trying to help them tell the best story that they want to tell. I need to be a help across the galaxy here, like a part of a Jedi Council almost."

So it will be interesting to see what happens when a SW nerd starts explaining to an auteur that they should change something because it contradicts the existing world.

Edit: I should add that he will also now actively be developing all future SW content along with KK, not just advising on projects after they have begun.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2023
  15. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Reposting this here

You know I do wonder how much him being promoted to CCO will dampen his involvement with each individual show.

Like right now he doesn’t seem involved whatsoever in acolyte and Andor. But in the future I assume he’ll be involved in every show to some degree or another. So how much will that lessen his involvement in Mando season 4 say

Bibliora and Fredrik Vallestrand like this.
  16. DarthHass

DarthHass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2004
    This is nothing but good news to me. I think this was missing from Day 1 of Disney’s plans/vision. JJ Abrams tried but didn’t succeed and having someone with history with the franchise was needed to guide some of the creative decisions that made the sequel trilogy feel disjointed. It would have been beneficial to the Solo movie and Rogue one too. I will say I think Filoni’s involvement in film direction helped give him gravitas for the role now. I think it’s uphill from now. Don’t focus on the coulda woulda shouldas.

Bor Mullet, 2Cleva and The Chalk Jedi like this.
  17. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Maybe I am a raging cynic. But I think for those who like what Disney has done it will be good if you don’t it won’t.

I really truly don’t think this will change much.

Watcherwithin likes this.
  18. Jedi Master Frizzy

Jan 15, 2018
    More of a plan going forward, and not mutch story issues. Like what duels of the fate would be like regarding the Force.

19. The Chalk Jedi

Nov 8, 2019
    It should make a big difference, in some ways. Then again, it's hard to say how assertive Filoni will be. He's already said he's not going to tell people what to do.

But he will be involved more from the beginning, so we should see less contradictions than we have so far.

2Cleva likes this.
  20. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    What contradictions have there been between shows? Dave and projects he’s related to contradict legends and later new canon all the time.

while not horrible. Hux being on the Shadow council doesn’t really make sense. Mando season 3

Cobb Vanth’s origin story as told in Mando is a bit different than it is in the aftermath trilogy plus his relationship with the Tusken’s is very different. Mando 2

While I think we all know he’s not as involved in the bad batch as he is in Mando and Ahsoka and BOBF he did direct the first episode and in that episode they blatantly contradict the Kanan comics.

but I don’t know of any times where the shows contradicts one another. So no I think the contradictions will stay the same

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  21. The Chalk Jedi

Nov 8, 2019
    You raise some good points, but I'm not really interested small changes like the kind you describe. Those are fine with me. I'm talking about major problems, like completely contradicting major characters like Luke Skywalker or even Finn and Rey from one film to the next.

2Cleva likes this.
  22. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I don’t think there are many 'auteurs' willing to make a Star Wars movie to begin with, so I doubt this will be much of a problem.

rocknroll41 likes this.
  23. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Ah I see what you mean. See I have a feeling that actually wouldn’t have changed if Dave had this job when TFA went into production.

while I am sure the job will constitute a hefty pay raise as he’s now more or less number 2 at Lucasfilm I really don’t think we’ll see that much interference in projects.

again maybe I am being cynical

24. Jedi Master Frizzy

Jan 15, 2018
    Yes you just being Cynical ;)

I think Sequels would Ben changed, same with Kenobi.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2023
  25. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Kenobi? Even though Filoni did have input into that show, in a similar way to what he describes is his job now?