main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

TV Discussion Official Dave Filoni Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by ImNotAStarWarsFanboy, Feb 28, 2015.

1. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    I like Dave Filoni but at this point we need a George Lucas appreciation thread.

IMHO.

2. KamNale

KamNale Jedi Master star 2

Feb 11, 2012
    Oh Dave Filoni, where do I begin. As a kid, the Clone Wars just came out and I loved it. Minus Jar Jar, politics, and anything that wasn't explosives and war, since, ya know, I was 10. As it went on, it made changes that I didn't care for (Asajj's new backstory, Maul's Return, Grievous is a push over), but then, just this year, it ended. Looking back now, as a writer and someone who wants to get into television, I really appreciate what Dave did. I respect the changes that he did and while I prefer the legends version of much of the Clone Wars, I can't help, but respect and enjoy what was given to us. Albeit, the only problem I have with it is downplaying Grievous, but oh well. I've also really enjoyed Rebels and I love Ezra's connection to nature. As a kid growing up on a farm, nature was always around me so I enjoyed nature aspects of the show. Dave really helped establish a connected and thought out canon and I'm really excited for what he has next in store for us!

Aah Fisto and InterestingLurker like this.
  3. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Here you go

Erkan12 and InterestingLurker like this.
  4. InterestingLurker

Jun 15, 2011
    Thank you!

:)

Edit: Ugh, this just led me to the front page of the forum... :p

Anyways, Filoni is someone I wouldn't mind taking Kathleen Kennedy's place, but honestly, I guess that's not too rare of an opinion around these parts. Frankly, I wouldn't mind giving him his own TV show to have complete control over with the caveat that he does a series about someone or some people who aren't Ahsoka or have anything to do with her. And don't get me wrong: I love Ahsoka as a character, but I just feel that Filoni needs to go beyond her.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2020
    SilentGuy66 likes this.
  5. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Just go to the PT forum it’s usually a love fest for him over there

InterestingLurker and Erkan12 like this.
  6. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    Given all the hate he got over those years prior to TFA... he probably deserves a little more appreciation.

7. InterestingLurker

Jun 15, 2011
    Good.

Yes.

But let's get back to this being a Filoni thread.

8. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    I think Filnoi is one man outside GL who understands all inside star wars. and can make all 3 trilogies work. I bet soon we'll get post endor stories that will tie into other stories in the media around the timeline and slowly tie into the ST era. Now he'll be exploring the gap between the republic and the empire.

InterestingLurker likes this.
  9. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Saw this in an Ahsoka FB group today. Figured it'd be appropriate for this thread.

[​IMG]

10. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    Well Kennedy's job is different than Dave's job in Lucasfilm, so it's hard to say that they are comparable.

11. InterestingLurker

Jun 15, 2011
    Frankly, I'm more interested in how he'll handle the post-ST period after the Resistance/First Order/Final Order.

Shamear likes this.
  12. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    I think that's a while for now. I think he's more intrested in doing the story of post clone wars and post ROTJ with the rumored rebels sequel.

InterestingLurker likes this.
  13. InterestingLurker

Jun 15, 2011
    I hope he gives attention to the Bad Batch series and it's "Second Clone War" that I think will happen, but honestly, I'm not sure what will happen at this point.

14. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    I think clone rebellion will be a plot thread of this show and why they faced out.

15. InterestingLurker

Jun 15, 2011
    I think there's a lot to the Bad Batch series than meets the eye and I think people are passing it off because they don't like the Bad Batch (who I honestly liked).

I think if anyone can make them work well, it's Filoni and I have full faith in him.

16. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Seems quite reasonable to not be excited about the Bad Batch series if you didn't like the Bad Batch... ;)

17. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    yeah but there can be plenty to like in it like clone wars. I will always be excited for new content wether it has elements i like or not.

18. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I'm with you. Just pointing out the reasonableness of not being excited about something that's based on something you don't like. :)

Fredrik Vallestrand likes this.
  19. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I hope he stays where he is at Lucasfilm I keep seeing those rumors that I never think will actually happen.

20. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    Is this a good week to bring this topic back to the first page? I would say it is.

I have been excited about Dave Filoni's work in Star Wars and convinced that he is one of the best people to keep the flame alive since 2010 or so. I watched the Clone Wars film in the movie theaters and I was not very excited, and then I think I started to notice "that show for kids" at some point while it was already in its 3rd season. That was it. After I caught up with 3 seasons of the Clone Wars, I knew that there was something special about Dave Filoni and the way he saw Star Wars.

The rest is kind of history, I got informed about what could be perfectly described as his apprenticeship under George Lucas, the next 3 Clone Wars seasons were even better than the first 3, then he made Rebels which was surprisingly as addictive as TCW even though I needed to get used to new characters and love them over time, and here we are in 2020 with "The Jedi" being praised universally by all Star Wars fans.

I am really happy that this man has a very active role in LFL, and I really hope that he will get an even more active role in the future, possibly with his own live action show revolving around Ahsoka Tano and Sabine Wren. "We will be following his career with great interest" . In Filoni we trust!

[​IMG]

21. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019
    Filoni is saving SW for me. Thank you!

Shamear and DarthFixxxer like this.
  22. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I mean it isn’t his show that is something to remember. I like Filoni but sometimes he gets a bit to much credit.

Erkan12 and SilentGuy66 like this.
  23. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    That’s why I always say Favreau and Filoni. They’re a match made in heaven. I think Filoni is inspired by Favreau, and Favreau is inspired by Filoni. They are better together. I like what they’ve made together more than what they’ve made individually.

I also like to point out that Kathleen Kennedy made the decision to let these two make this show as the debut Star Wars live action offering. She deserves enormous credit for taking the risk on a show with a faceless man and a puppet as the main characters. If she gets blamed for the things she oversaw that fans didn’t like, she should also be credited for the things she oversees that fans like. She runs the place, after all.

So thanks to Kennedy, Favreau and Filoni for saving Star Wars.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
  24. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    Yeah, I'm getting sick of this 'Filoni-verse' concept going around.

It's like calling the MCU the 'Feige-verse'.

It's not all the work of one man. It's a collaborative effort of planning and work from various directors, producers, writers, etc.

Sure Filoni deserves a lot of credit but I've always felt he's needed someone to reign him in from going to far with the fan service. (and especially Ahsoka)

Remember that this is the guy who introduced freakin' time travel into Star Wars in a children's cartoon of all places, just to save his favourite character from a death he'd approved.

25. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019
    Well, this is the Filoni appreciation thread, folks.

I appreciate Dave because he's given me the best SW I've possibly ever had. "The Jedi" is right up there with my top SW moments. Everything in this episode was perfect to me.

I love Favreau too, but Filoni understands how to tell SW stories that are deeply immersed in that world I love. His narrative voice, due to his understanding of lore and detail, is the most authoritative we've had since Lucas.

Kennedy is doing good work in TV, but her choices have created significant changes to the canon that will have long lasting effect, and I'll never forgive her for that lack of care.

DarthFixxxer and Shamear like this.