main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One [Official Info] Ben Mendelsohn (Director Orson Krennic) in Rogue One

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by starocean90, Mar 25, 2015.

1. James T Kirk

James T Kirk Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 22, 2015

Hadn't seen this yet, thanks for posting. Really hope he is in this. Good actor, and I could totally see him in an Imperial-esque Officer uniform. Personally I hope he portrays a protagonist, seen him as an antagonist a few times now, think he could make a great hero! Would also be nice to see an older lead as opposed to a kiddie, just to be different.

DarthLightlyBruise likes this.
  2. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    according to Variety Mendelsohn might be the main villain of the movie.
    Tarkin??? New Imperial Officer??? or like that one rumor if I recall that said he was a scientist??

3. Rabs

Rabs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2014
    Sure if you want a horrid stomachache through the entire film. Could hardly get through BB because of this dude. One of the worst actors I've ever seen in my opinion. Keep this hack as far away from Star Wars, or any film for that matter, as possible.

starocean90 I can see him playing Tarkin. He could also easily be a vet from the Clone Wars turned Rebel.

jabberwalkie and starocean90 like this.
  4. DarthLightlyBruise

DarthLightlyBruise Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 11, 2015
    Ben's a powerhouse of an actor. Absolutely amazing in "Bloodline." Very much hoping he's a main character.

Hoggsquattle likes this.
  5. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    I've been thinking about this and I wouldn't be surprised if he played the Imperial officer in charge of the base that is guarding the Death star plans.

6. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    ^Probably!

I don't think they are going to show Vader or Tarkin in Rogue One, though I'd be surprised if both were not mentioned by name.

7. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Why wouldn't they? It is big $$$.

8. smudger9

smudger9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2007
    I would be amazed if this were the case. I can't imagine Disney would allow an ANH prequel without Vader. Hell, they've even got the Vader mask in TFA!

9. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009

I can't imagine Disney and Lucasfilm not taking advantage of the Darth Vader aspect somehow, even if he isn't the main villain.[face_thinking]

Then again, his very presence in a story makes him the main villain ...[face_mischief]

10. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    "Don't be too proud of this technological terror YOU'VE constructed." Notice, Darth Vader does not say "we've constructed." He seems very removed from and unimpressed with the Death Star in general, like "it ain't my thing." I really don't think he was instrumental in its creation. And besides the empire is huge. I'd rather see some new and interesting Imperial officers in Rogue one. Of course Tarkin should definitely be mentioned.

11. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    As if some puny in universe details would stop Disney from putting the most iconic character of the franchise in the movie which is set in a time-period in which he is alive and kicking butt and about a topic which almost screams Vader-involvement.

He may not be impressed with the Death Star, but if the Emperor orders him to help Tarkin, then that is what he will do as seen in ANH.

12. The moose

The moose Jedi Padawan

Feb 24, 2015
    Personally I think that if Vader is featured in the film at all, it will be a very small role that won't involve battle scenes or anything like that. The reason I believe this to be the case is how they emphasized in the celebration panel that this is a war movie that won't have any superhuman jedi running around and saving the day. Now that of course doesn't strictly speaking mean that Vader can't be featured, but I think that character like Vader requires an opposite who is on some level equal with him i.e. a force user of some sort. Regular soldiers wouldn't last two seconds against him and it wouldn't be much of a movie if we just watched out main characters get demolished by him. Of course they could think some creative way around this, but I think that most likely this will be a more "traditional" war movie with a covert operation that transforms into full scale battle at some point but without any force users helping around. Honestly I wouldn't see this making the film a lesser movie, I am dying to see well written heroes and villains that aren't from the same mould that we have witnessed in the previous movies.

13. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    They don't have to think. Two words: TIE-Fighter. Vader wouldn't be unbeatable, he'd just probably kill a lot of redshirts, which furthers the tension.

14. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
  15. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I'd bet anything he's playing Tarkin. Okay maybe not anything but that's definitely my guess.

gambit420 and starocean90 like this.
  16. DarthLightlyBruise

Feb 11, 2015
    Previous rumors had him playing some kind of "scientist." Doesn't sound like Tarkin...Not to mention that he looks absolutely nothing like Cushing...

We shall see!

17. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Yes but then he and Sheev were personally overseeing it's construction at the end of ROTS (along with a younger Tarkin).

18. Karl0413

Karl0413 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2015
    According to a recent Variety article:

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/star-wars-rogue-one-diego-luna-cast-1201494752/

"Director Gareth Edwards has found another rebel fighter to battle the Empire in “Star Wars: Rogue One.” Sources tell Variety that Diego Luna is in talks for a lead role alongside Felicity Jones and Riz Ahmed, with Ben Mendelsohn set to star as the film’s primary villain."

So given the subject matter, I would say odds are good that he is playing an Imperial officer (and probably somebody we know). [face_whistling]

19. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Ben Mendelsohn playing a douchebag Imperial. Yeah I could see that.

20. Mungo Baobab

Mungo Baobab Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2014
    I've been wondering if he'll be ( the currently non-canon ) Bevel Lemelisk....probably not though.

21. Import_Jedi

Import_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Aug 20, 2001

And just like with Bane, he gets his neck broken by Vader by the end of the movie for letting the Death Star plans get stolen...

(PS: I'm aware I posted the same type of pic on page 1 :p)

[​IMG]

22. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    I think he looks enough like him that coupled with his incredible acting ability he could pull it off. He'd also be made to look more like him through wardrobe and hair style which would help too.

23. DarthLightlyBruise

Feb 11, 2015
    Yeah, but you just can't fake the kind of aristocratic, British "aggressive politeness" that Cushing displayed. I'd rather Charles Dance play the role, though he looks nothing like Tarkin.

24. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I believe it was MSW who said he plays a "scientist". What kind of scientist, I have no idea. So he's not Tarkin.

starocean90 likes this.
  25. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    It also said the scientist has a conscience and knows the Death Star is wrong. This sounds more like the person who leaks the information to the rebels or something like that than it does the main villain.