main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One [Official Info] Ben Mendelsohn (Director Orson Krennic) in Rogue One

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by starocean90, Mar 25, 2015.

1. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    I wonder if Vader summoning Krennic for his reality check was all down to Tarkin 'having a word' with the Dark Lord lol.

outerrimjaba likes this.
  2. IMightRegretThisUsername

IMightRegretThisUsername Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 19, 2016
  3. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    I read that article earlier and it was interesting. Competent thinking from Edwards to have various different directions to take at certain junctures come the process of the final edit. I'm sure we'll properly learn of these come the DVD release :)

4. TheOneX_Eleazar

TheOneX_Eleazar Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 24, 2013
    I'll take an interesting villain first and badass second.

5. outerrimjaba

outerrimjaba Jedi Master star 1

May 24, 2015
    Tarkin was a Chessmaster and Krennic was a chess piece. Tarkin had the facts that Bohdi was Galen's informer, considering all of the data tracking the empire had.

While Krennic was focused on displaying his achievement, Tarkin already had the gambit set to extinguish any possibility of Krennic receiving notoriety other than failure of security.

Vader and Tarkin both saw a petty schemer with a dangerous level of ambition. His use was at an end, as soon as Tarkin found out that Scarif was under attack and Krennic was on the planet.

The novel indicated that Tarkin mulled over having Krennic to explain the situation thinking it would be funny...but dismissed the temptation. Lol

Jcuk likes this.
  6. TheReal_Rebel

TheReal_Rebel Jedi Master star 3

Sep 17, 2015
    Redeeming qualities?

He's not a coward. He's not lazy. He's not stupid or sadistic. He does his best to stay on top of situations. However, he, Tarkin, Vader and the Empire underestimate the level of push back they would get after Jedha and then Alderann. As self satisfied Empires often do.

In Catalyst, it's Krennic who makes the first move against Tarkin by maneuvering him into nearly being killed by a Rebel attack. I'd hardly call him a chess piece, the novelization, shows Krennic has informants among Tarkin's people. Circumstance of birth, not brains were what was against Krennic. I'd say that's why so many reviewers find it difficult to hate him. There is a pathos in him we can all relate to.

I have to say the Clone Wars and Rebels, as well as novels and comics have greatly expanded my enjoyment of the Star Wars universe.

7. outerrimjaba

outerrimjaba Jedi Master star 1

May 24, 2015
    True, he did lead Tarkin in a trap, which he figured out. Tarkin's brains not birth lead him to defeat the opposition; Krennic's rank was given not earned by Mas Ammeda. Krennic, probably failed to realize that with blinding jealousy thinking Tarkin was just another sycophant.

Bold and cunning as Krennic was...Tarkin was still a cut above, and his trap gained Tarkin's attention for a while, but his focus on the long term strategy was the tipping point.

8. TheReal_Rebel

TheReal_Rebel Jedi Master star 3

Sep 17, 2015
    Tarkin was part of the institutional oligarchy and had opportunities he took advantage of. He also overcame obstacles and was good at multiple professions.

If you can't acknowledge where they both started from were socially and politically different places. Or that a younger person would inevitably replace Tarkin at some point in the Empire. You have to at least acknowledge, both Tarkin and Krennic died due to hubris over the "technological" terror Krennic constructed.

Darth__Lobot likes this.
  9. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    I guess it's true that Tarkins only lives a few days longer than Krennic.

Blue 5 and TheReal_Rebel like this.
  10. MrElculver2424

MrElculver2424 Jedi Master star 4

May 11, 2014
    I love Krennic. It's kind of hard to explain why, but I just liked him...

He was a hard worker, dedicated, focused, passionate for the most part. Did some unnecessary things (executed the innocent DS engineers), but he worked hard on his big project and after it was successfully delivered, he wanted appropriate recognition...as most would in that position. Poor guy of course got smashed by his higher-ups.

11. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    I'm not sure where to put this but this thread looks right.

Already during my first viewing of the scene / shot where Krennic is wounded by Galen's wife, the profile view of Ben Mendelsohn looked somewhat odd to me.

During my second viewing it looked as if it might have been a different actor, substituting Mendelsohn in what might have been a reshot. Anybody else noticing that?

12. Vader0706

Vader0706 Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 2, 2017
    He looked fine to me in that scene.

Also, Mendelsohn was boss as Krennic. Great portrayal of an arrogant and ego-driven Imperial prick. I have probably mentioned this already but anyway. Ben delivered!

Darth__Lobot, Blue 5 and PCCViking like this.
  13. Jmacq1

Jmacq1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 20, 2005
    Krennic was a great illustration of the old principle of "the banality of evil." Mendelsohn was excellent in the role (he's good in most stuff he does...great character actor), and yeah, he wasn't the top dog. Just a guy that wanted an "in" to the highest echelons of power and prestige. I think Rogue One gives us a great peek at the dynamics of the Imperial high command...especially coupled with the "Council" in ANH...filled with backstabbing, pettiness, arrogance, and ego. The thing is...Palpatine liked his subordinates carrying those traits. Especially if they mixed it with competence. After all a bunch of big egos jockeying against each other are too busy looking at the other guys to look at the guy sitting in the big seat.

His "company of rivals" approach served him fairly well up until Yavin. After that it became necessary to clamp down a bit on the jockeying in the interest of crushing the Rebels. (Probably helped that a lot of big egos died with the Death Star).

14. Bob the X-Winger

Bob the X-Winger Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 8, 2016

It is interesting you point out the inefficiency of the Council in ANH because in Rogue One we see that the Alliance is in complete disarray. It was only when the battle for Scarif began did we see the leadership qualities emerge from the Alliance C&C Mon Mothma with notable contributions from Admiral Raddus & others.

15. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    I've watched a lot of interviews with Ben and Mads! They are pretty funny together!

16. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    Both suffer from having groups of equals with different objectives and goals; while the Empire has the constant infighting and jockeying for power, the Council has some members focused on reforming the Empire using the Senate while only Bail and Mon Mothma seem to realize that overt military action is required. Scarif acts as they catalyst for the Rebellion to finally focus on a singular military objective, while Yavin acts as the same for the Empire. Though even then, I'd argue that the Rebels are a tiny bit more unified in what they want, while Tarkin and Krennic's contest is mostly about themselves. Eadu features the issues suffered by both sides: the Empire has to deal with a security leak that Krennic should have been informed about much sooner, while Rebel Intelligence bucking orders to try and kill Galen cuts short endangers their own people and kills a possible information source.

17. Blue 5

Blue 5 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 6, 2017
    Krennic was great.

Let's all take a little time to give Krennic a moment of silence...the first person to receive a headshot from a planet destroying super weapon.

18. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    I thought Krennic and the acting done there was one of the highlights of the movie. I really like the character and his insatiable ambition. It makes me think about the whole Imperial structure and how there were probably many like him vying for favor amidst the ranks. He's like a wannabe Tarkin but Tarkin isn't threatened by him. Great performance throughout.

Little touches to the acting really made it a special performance. You can see his mannerisms of impatience when he comes to Eadu and tells Galen to gather his engineers. I love how annoyed he is with being surrounded by incompetence - "Are we blind?!" Just some great moments and he became an immediate favorite character of mine.

Avnar, PCCViking and La Calavera like this.
  19. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014

Just rewatching this!! Still awesome!

20. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    Krennic made me wish there were more interesting Imperials in the other movies. Apart from him and Tarkin, every other Imperial dude have been bland and boring. Including TFA.

B99 likes this.
  21. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Personally, I always felt that General Veers prepared his troops with panache.

[​IMG]

22. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    I would say Krennic is hands down one of the most interesting and layered SW characters we've seen in the Disney era. He does not fall into the two Imperial stereotypes: coward or obeys every command. I wish other Imperials got more development. That deleted scene in Jedi with Jerjerrod struggling to fire the DS should've been kept in.

Krennic was also played brilliantly by Ben Mendelsohn. I loved every scene he was in. In fact, I would say his scenes are my favorites in the film. I know that some were disappointed that in their opinion, he wasn't as show stopping as he was in the trailers, but to me, he most certainly was.

23. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    I found this a few weeks ago. I like the instrumental, but not the lyrics. [Removed]

I like this better, and it makes more sense for the character. [Removed]

Please do not post videos that contain bootlegged material /TCF

24. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    I have a feeling that Ben Mendelsohn had originally auditioned for the role of the Joker in the Dark Knight Trilogy. Given that he ultimately received a role in those films, it wouldn't at all be the first time that an actor who tried out for a certain role was offered a different role in the same film/franchise. I mean, his overall voicing and demeanor, and just some of the lines he delivers in RO, are just so intense and have that dark quality about them, I can't help sometimes but compare it to Heath Ledger's Joker. And knowing that Ben appeared in the same franchise makes me think that he might have been one of the actors in the running for the Joker role.

PCCViking likes this.
  25. Kez-Iban

Kez-Iban Jedi Master star 2

Sep 4, 2012
    Poor Krennic. In a way, he reminds me a bit of Agent Kallus in Rebels. Both were cruel, ambitious characters who strongly believed in the Empire. Both were treated terribly by their superiors who clearly didn't care a bit about them. Both had contact with Rebels who had shown them a better life that included family and real friends. Kallus had a change of heart after his time spent with Zeb and realizing that no one in the Empire really cared if he lived or died. Krennic had been exposed to a more peaceful, happy life through Galen Erso, but even when things went bad for him and it was clear that his superiors despised him and he had no future in the Empire, he still never came to realize that he might be on the wrong side and that Galen had it right.

Gigoran Monk and PCCViking like this.