main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Solo [Official Info] Paul Bettany (Dryden Vos) in Solo

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Pro Scoundrel , Feb 7, 2018.

1. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Seems his markings on his face is part of his species attributes and not tats or scars. They get brighter red with anger or mood swings Wonder if he's the same species as Lego's Naare?lol

Other than that, he seems rather Mando-ish from TCW and has a set of red Mandalorian armor, but that could be cause he's a collector of antiquities and luxury goods.

Last edited: May 13, 2018
    thejeditraitor likes this.
  2. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    I just want to say that he was a great part of the film.
    A great villain. Loved that feeling that he could murder you at any time.

3. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Yep. He brought a sense of realism to the SW universe, if that makes sense.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  4. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Absolutely. One of my favorite Star Wars villains. So mercurial, with violence just right under the surface, but without being cartoonish. He reminded me of the old Rob Zombie song "more human than human." A shame he's dead, actually. I'd much prefer more of him than Maul, and could've used more scenes of him in Solo. If he was as present as, say, Krennic was in RO, I think the film would have improved a lot.

SunStar and GregMcP like this.
  5. Theo333

Theo333 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 29, 2011
    He sat at a desk for an hour. And then he brought a knife to a gunfight and died.

6. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    And yet, his threat loomed over most of the film. Pretty impressive, seeing as he was just sitting at a desk. That's an effective villain. Not getting his hands dirty, but inspiring fear across star systems.

darklordoftech likes this.
  7. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    This character surprised me the most. Bettany is a great actor in pretty much any role he's in but he certainly shined in his two scenes. His interactions with Qi'ra and Han were some of my favorite parts of the movie.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  8. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    He was fine but I'd rather have had a CGI Dryden Vos to give it that extra touch.

Count Yubnub likes this.
  9. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I’m really glad they didn’t go with a CGI villain this time. There’s just something way more menacing about an actual human enjoying being so evil. He was to Solo what Tarkin was to ANH. Perfect.

DarthHass likes this.
  10. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I thought he was a very good villian for the movie especially his fake caring attitude

Bor Mullet likes this.
  11. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    That sounds like wanting CGI for CGI's sake. I'm NEVER in favor of that take.

12. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Don't even know what that means. If anything it's the opposite of not wanting CGI for CGI's sake (which itself is odd in CGI-packed movies like the new era since actual practical effects like I-VI aren't done anymore because CGI is simply better).

They simply haven't been using all the tools in the toolbox as much as they should in a Star Wars movie.

13. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    The character didn't need to be CGI, so why force it to be? Forcing it to be CGI would be CGI for CGI sake.

I thought Bettany was fantastic as Vos as is, nothing more was needed!

14. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    I liked him. Liked how he was sophisticated but was ready to kill at any time. Enjoyed how his face changed red as he grew in anger. Liked his weapon and Yacht office.

Last edited: May 26, 2018
  15. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    I do the think you couldnt have done the twisted personality we saw as well with CGI.

It needed a fine actor, and a human face. It made it all more real.

Guidman likes this.
  16. Samuel Vimes

Samuel Vimes Force Ghost star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    Well I disagree.
    I didn't find him all that memorable.
    He had only two scenes and I didn't find his threat to be looming over the characters. The threat of the organisation maybe, not him.
    And the ticking clock at the heist was more about getting the ore to the place before it got too hot.
    And to me they made him a bit too much an evil psychopath and that wasn't scary to me.
    Paul Bettany is good actor sure but he didn't have much to work with here given his limited screen-time.

I have seen other films and TV shows were you had the mob boss be calm and friendly and yet not hesitating in killing a guy if they think it is necessary. But often they just give the word and the hit is done by one of their goons. They don't need to soil their own hands with it or even get upset or yell about it.
    But that is just my preference.

Bye for now.
    The Guarding Dark

17. Lance Toris

Lance Toris Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 22, 2015
    I would have liked him more if he didn't have generic scars on his face. They missed the mark with his character design (although I thought he played the role fine).

18. MadBoomBoom

MadBoomBoom Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 1, 2017
    His outfit was too Earth like. Boring character. Was he supposed to be scary?

19. Cantina Regular

Cantina Regular Jedi Knight star 3

May 24, 2016
    Was he an alien? The marks on his face weren’t scars - they changed to darker colors when he got angry and stressed. He also had a claw on his thumb instead of a fingernail

20. AV-6R7

AV-6R7 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 9, 2014
    According to The Official Guide, Vos was near-human.

Cantina Regular likes this.
  21. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    Bettany's charisma definitely carried both scenes he was in. In concept, Vos is a fairly bland archetype; evil, faux-charming merciless mob boss. But combine Bettany with good dialogue and direction, and you get a fun bad guy, even if ultimately the film's antagonist role is more of an ensemble act by Vos, Nest, Beckett towards the end, and the Empire and Pyke Syndicate as organizations. It kind of comes with the territory of a hybrid heist movie, spinoff, and prequel.

I was pretty aggravated we didn't get a close up look at his Mandalorian Armor, though. It was displayed like a decorative Samurai Armor layout; it would have been fascinating to see how a film budget would interpret a rich man's Mando gear.

22. All_Powerful_Jedi

All_Powerful_Jedi Force Ghost star 4

Sep 12, 2003
    I thought Bettany did a good job. Wish Michael K. Williams got to play him, because I think that would have been a very different character who was more menacing and interesting.

11-4D likes this.
  23. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    One of the best Star Wars villains yet. He elevates the film significantly.

That's the best, and very true to life. "Are you OK? I'm so sorry about Val. Come, have some food and drink. And then, maybe I'll kill you."

Shades of Krennic's: "Oh, my condolences. Search the house"! Only, more gangster and less Imperial officer...

Last edited: May 26, 2018
    AV-6R7 and AndyLGR like this.
  24. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    He was one of the best things about the film. I loved his charm, ruthlessness and look. Not sure how anyone can say so and so would have been better because we have no context to judge them.

SunStar and Bor Mullet like this.
  25. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    A performance to rival Mendelsohn and Gleeson’s (Krennic and Hux).

One of my favourite lines from the film, thanks to the way Bettany delivered it was “He is arrogant, and hungry!”

Bor Mullet likes this.