main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mini Series Official "Obi-Wan Kenobi" Series Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Darkslayer, Feb 19, 2019.

1. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    In a sense that's probably too real of a situation. Not seeing anakins face means that there is a disconnect. While seeing his face would bring back alot more emotions.

Sky_alma likes this.
  2. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
  3. Vinylshadow

Vinylshadow Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2017
    The lack of any real bts material for OWK is my biggest gripe about it; A Jedi Returns barely went into anything like props, sets, designs...
    There was only, what, maybe three pieces of concept art for it? (the only one the clickbait sites used was the Vader one because gotta get them clicks)

4. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    The scene was also demonstrating specific flaws of Anakin’s that lead to his poor choices. Including a burning desire to win at all costs that leads to both rash decisions and missing key details. This plays out in the present with Vader deciding to let the Rebel ship go and pursue OWK, and not noticing the second transport ship. Those specific things about Anakin were considered helpful for the audience to know. I suppose they could’ve communicated similar concepts during a battle droid fight instead of a sparring session, but I for one was happy to be on Coruscant.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

My wife didn’t watch any of the prequels. She needed to know these things about Anakin and OWK’s relationship in order to fully appreciate the show (which she did). You should never make a TV show that only works if the entire audience has seen movies from 20 years ago.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2022
  5. dagenspear

dagenspear Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 9, 2015
    I don't agree with the overall premise of your statement. This show is a direct continuation of events that neither sheds new light or adds to anything in the PT or ST, which I think makes it mostly pointless and even mismatched with both of them. I think that if a show is supposed to be a sequel to one set of events and a prequel to others, to write it with the premise that it does what I said above, isn't strong writing, and if it is written in a way that appeals to the idea that you don't have to know anything, it doesn't actually fulfill that, and is lacking context for character and story.

Even then, I think a story can do both: Showcase the character's aspects for the current, non informed, audience and build on what it has established. I think sequels and prequels have done that for decades. I think the PT does that. I think it's not dramatically emotionally structured to watch the PT first, but I think you can without seeing the OT first. I think this show doesn't do that.

6. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    I think they are saving the concept art these days for further seasons and other shows.

7. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Yes. They have said as much.

8. Sauron_18

Sauron_18 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 1, 2005
    I was happy to find out that Palpatine’s appearance in Kenobi really was the result of actual makeup and costume.

[​IMG]

The makeup looked so seamlessly integrated to McDiarmid’s face, and it was such a short scene, that I thought/feared they had perhaps just added it digitally. But the documentary confirmed it was all real, making this one of the best applications of the Palpatine look. I sure hope we get to see more of it soon. ;)

Last edited: Sep 16, 2022
  9. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Yeah, they stuck the landing with his makeup in this.

10. DoubleGold

DoubleGold Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 3, 2013
    Just saw the first season of Kenobi. Does the Kenobi show change cannon, or what we know from Episode 3 revenge of the Sith to Episode 4 a new hope? In a new hope, Darth Vader says "I feel a presence that I haven't felt in a long time." Wouldn't this imply that Darth Vader hasn't seen Kenobi since Episode 3? Episode 4 takes place 18 years after episode 3. But Kenobi takes place 10 years after episode 3. Meaning that Darth Vader will not see Kenobi for another 8 years. Why would Darth Vader say he feels a presence that he hasn't felt in a long time after not seeing Kenobi after 8 years, but he wouldn't say it in the tv show Kenobi? 10 years (the length between episode 3 and Kenobi) is longer than 8 years(the length between Kenobi and episode 4). I feel like Kenobi should never encounter Darth Vader for the cannon to be accurate, even if the inquisitors encounter him. Also in Episode 4, isn't it implied that Kenobi never left his cave since the clone wars?

11. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    Vader's quote is "a presence I have not felt since..." and literally leaves the timeframe open ended.

12. Ithorians

Ithorians Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    I think it's mostly based on expectations. For instance, Kenobi was in a hut in ANH, but was there a mention of him being in a cave before it? I don´t think so/I don´t remember, so I didn't mind. In the same fashion, eight years is a long time, but if you expect a 19 years old gap between the duels between Vader and Kenobi, it will surely sound short; and Vader could have said "I haven't felt this presence since Mustafar" and still refer to a second time he met/faced Kenobi there. It will or won´t make sense to us according to what we expect from it, I think.

13. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    That's par for the course for most D+ shows. Hell it's uncommon in general for TV shows to get a lot of BTS material.

14. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    I just saw the jedi returns, it was good i liked it.

Sky_alma likes this.
  15. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    Huh, and here I thought that was just Ian McDiarmid after a poor night's sleep.

clone commander bossk and Sarge like this.
  16. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Now I want him in Acolyte.

17. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    He be young goat man.

18. Foreign32567

Foreign32567 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 4, 2021
    Rather middle aged, he is young in High Republic Phase I and old in TCW, and the Acolyte is in-between.

Fredrik Vallestrand likes this.
  19. Cos Palpatine

Cos Palpatine Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2022
    I still have a hard time buying the fact that such an old and experienced Jedi was killed by an Inquisitor. I guess blaming his age could be acceptable to my head canon but still...or maybe it took multiple Inquisitors to take him down, I'd accept that too. Wookipedia isn't clear on the details of his death.

He was a fun character in TCW, I'd have no problem if he made an appearance in The Acolyte.

20. Foreign32567

Foreign32567 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 4, 2021
    I will not be surprised if he will appear in The Bad Batch and will be killed by clones rather than Inquisitors (or at least his death will be mentioned by the younglings which he teached in TCW).

21. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    I think only Inquisitor who could defeat him would be the Grand Inquisitor, so either he is sourrended by Inquisitors and clones or Darth Vader kills him. With him coming back in Tales of the Jedi, I have no doubt we will see him back again for Bad Batch season 2. And he could have died the year before Kenobi takes place in the timeline.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2022
  22. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    Yeah. How do we know it’s not Darth Vader himself who kill him. Or even Darth Sidious.

Also we don’t know the circumstances. He might sacrifice himself so other can escape, being killed in a situation he could have escaped from but instead made a stand to help others.

23. Sauron_18

Sauron_18 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 1, 2005
    We really need inquisitors who actually capture or kill Jedi Knights. We seem to only see the exceptions nowadays. And the practically useless former padawan in the Kenobi show doesn’t count. This organization hunted the Jedi. If it’s always Vader and never the inquisitors who succeed in their hunt, then it sort of makes the whole thing a bit silly. These guys are former Jedi themselves. There’s no reason they shouldn’t be able to take on a master.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2022
  24. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Tera Sinube was once a council member,he not just some jedi master. He is legendary one.:)

25. Lowly Gungan

Lowly Gungan Jedi Padawan star 1

Aug 11, 2022
    Tera Sinube could have been killed a number of ways.