main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A&A Official Star Wars Publishing Q&A thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by GrandAdmiralJello , Oct 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Qel

Qel Jedi Master star 2

Jan 8, 2007
    Great! thanks very much.

2. PimpBacca

PimpBacca Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2015
    I asked this question last year and I’m pretty sure it was resolved by the end of it.

updat that’s really weird I swear they had them at one point. They where on my list to get.

update 2: yeah I did ask about it on page 12

pretty sure I did a thread at the beginning of 2019 once I noticed they where out on kindle.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
  3. Qel

Qel Jedi Master star 2

Jan 8, 2007
    Well hopefully DI's UK contacts will fix it in the near future. I've checked every so often and only ever seen Rogue Squadron have a link to a Kindle page (which takes you to the comic series of the same name rather than the book), the other 3 are just listed with mass market paperback and audiobook options.

Be nice if they could put Lost Stars and other canon young adult books on there whilst they're at it but I guess that's a different issue.

PimpBacca likes this.
  4. JediKnight75

JediKnight75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 15, 2011
    Is there anything you're able to reveal about when Shadow Fall and Life Debt occur in relationship to each other?

5. PimpBacca

Oct 4, 2015
    I don’t mean to be a pain @DarthInternous but was there any movement on @Qel question about the last of the first four X wing novels on kindle in the UK? I myself am also waiting for the the Republic Commando novels to be added also.

cheers for any help you can give. :)

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
  6. DarthInternous

DarthInternous Editor - Del Rey Star Wars star 3 VIP

Feb 7, 2017
    I haven't mapped out personally exactly how each chapter intertwines, but my *guess* (note the word guess please) is they're pretty close to each other. Perhaps not exactly in parallel, but reasonably. To be honest, this is a question that - really I wouldn't personally feel the need to actually figure out, since it provides no utility to me for telling stories. Shadow Fall and Aftermath don't both share a key central character that requires absolute precision in coordinating their whereabouts. And the relative developments of each book aren't cascading into the events of the other. Because of all that, it's just not something I'd be tracking and have available at the tip of my fingers. That's not to diminish the value that some readers get out of that sort of precise chronological info, but that's why I at least don't have it. It falls into that section of "Star Wars questions that don't really get answers until the answer is needed."

CooperTFN, JediKnight75 and Link1130 like this.
  7. DarthInternous

Feb 7, 2017
    I made the inquiry, but haven't heard any updates. These sorts of things often are slow moving so I'm not sure when/if we'll hear anything.

PimpBacca likes this.
  8. PimpBacca

Oct 4, 2015
  9. JediKnight75

JediKnight75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 15, 2011
    Thanks so much for the reply! I really appreciate it. I do agree that it's not essential because the stories don't depend on each other and I'm much more into characters. But I also really enjoy constructing a larger picture of events and placing stories in the context of the rest of the universe. It has no bearing on my enjoyment, but figuring this out is a hobby in itself.

10. PimpBacca

Oct 4, 2015
    @DarthInternous could you explain the status of the expanded Edition of the movie novels and there place in cannon please? I’m still a little confused.

11. DarthInternous

Feb 7, 2017
    That's one of those questions I just don't really answer anymore. Not because I couldn't or that the answer is somehow scandalous or unsettling or bad. Also it's the type of answer that absolutely gets Youtube videos made about me which I'd also rather avoid when I can.

But, to try and at least answer your query partly - rather than just complain at you for 2 sentences which is sort of rude - yes they are canon. And they are also novelizations. And those two qualities both acting upon a book can often create...a little confusion, as you put it.

12. PimpBacca

Oct 4, 2015
    Well thank you anyway.

13. JABoomer

JABoomer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2009
    The Rise of Skywalker paperback - Del Rey mass market edition: November 2020

-Page 117, near top of page. "C-3PO took it from Poe, and a weight was lifted from her shoulders when the dagger left her hand." The bolded makes does not belong here and is previously stated on page 116.

-Page 128, mid page. Two cases of extra intents.

14. DarthInternous

Feb 7, 2017
    Thanks

JABoomer likes this.
  15. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Is there an official resource giving a complete list of all the books published since EU novels first started to be written? Thanks.

16. darthzac14

darthzac14 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    The Star Wars Legends Book Timeline is at the beginning of any Legends book
    The (expanding) Star Wars Canon Book Timeline is at the beginning of any canon book

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
  17. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Yes, but I'm loads missing, especially the more recent ones in each line. So I don't have a complete list for reference.

18. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    "EU novels" spanned a good number of different imprints and RL eras so you're not likely to find one "official" listing, for the same reason they're not listed in the canon novels. The ERC might be the closest to complete but there's always gonna be stuff outside a given thing's purview--canon being a good example in the ERC's case.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
    AndyLGR likes this.
  19. DarthInternous

Feb 7, 2017
    No. As others have noted above, you have a variety of publishing companies and entities that have been involved in EU storytelling over the course of the 40+ years it has been going on. So while a variety of fairly reliable unofficial lists exist, none on the official side. As Coop noted - the Essential Reader's Companion is as close as you will get, but it only covers up through it's publication nearly a decade ago (though it was able to reference some titles coming out beyond its own publication date.

If you're just looking for a list of EU novels as published by Bantam / Del Rey, the legends timeline inside the novels could be helpful list to keep track, and there are a number of images online you could download to use as a checklist.

20. JABoomer

Oct 23, 2009
    This isn't a bad resource: https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/List_of_books#Novels

kalzeth and AndyLGR like this.
  21. DarthInternous

Feb 7, 2017
    Speaking broadly - unofficial or fan resources for things like book checklists / in-universe / real world timelines, etc. are all pretty good. Yeah, they have errors and omissions here and there, but unless you're working on something official, that really isn't an issue worth worrying about.

AndyLGR likes this.
  22. lordpixie

lordpixie Jedi Master star 2

Aug 30, 2015
    Hi Darthinternous could you say if The rise of the empire book with A New Dawn ,Tarkin and 3 shorts was a way to get cannon stories collected together in timeline order in one book like what marvel does with their Omnibuses and was the intention to continue doing the same with other books ? because if so it's a shame it did not continue.

23. DarthInternous

Feb 7, 2017
    No that wasn't the intent at all. And that was always meant as its own one-off project, not the start of a larger endeavor. So there wasn't an expectation say of bundling Heir to the Jedi and Lords of the Sith (the next two novels released) in a similar way.

Sometimes projects like that or additional editions for previously published material are less about some cool new publishing conceit or canon explanation, and more about a business decision or marketplace opportunity. That was the case here. Though it did present an opportunity to create some cool new extended short stories.

Daneira likes this.
  24. lordpixie

lordpixie Jedi Master star 2

Aug 30, 2015
    Thanks for the reply !

25. JABoomer

Oct 23, 2009
    @DarthInternous, has the dramatis personae fallen out of favor, if so why? Also, do Star Wars authors get any chapter length direction from Del Rey?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.