main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph One Thread To Rule Them All: The Rings of Power + The Hobbit & Lord of the Rings Trilogies

Discussion in 'Community' started by -Courtney-, Nov 25, 2006.

1. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    I read and re-read those books when I was young and never noticed them myself!

2. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018

Here's evertying you need to know about the new animated movie, soo far.

Count Yubnub likes this.
  3. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    Just nervous about Phillipa as a writer here. Fran seemed to be what elevated LOTR

4. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    From what I've read she's just a consultant on the movie, not a writer.

5. Bacon164

Mar 22, 2005
    her big ideas tend to be the biggest problems tho

Count Yubnub likes this.
  6. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018

Going back to the shire?

7. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Hobbiton didn't remotely exist in the 2nd Age, though.

8. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    maybe the time when man and evles lived there and before it became the shire?

9. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    It’s most likely just a visit for the cast to see where the magic happened and get them in the mood. Nothing to do with filming.

Sarge and blackmyron like this.
  10. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Didn't realize this until now - in the Simarillion it's revealed that Sauron, when he was a lieutenant of the Big Bad, Morgoth, captured the elvish fortress of Minas Tirith and made it his dominion for a few years, until he was defeated by the legendary Beren and Luthien and driven from it.

... which means that renaming Minas Anor to Minas Tirith after the fall of Minas Ithil was some serious ****ing shade cast upon Sauron - a reminder of his most humiliating failure.

11. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014
    Or trolling someone who would use trolls. :p

Lordban, blackmyron and Sarge like this.
  12. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Now, my favorite part when I was young - Gondor. No, not just Minas Tirith, but the rest of the land that we don't really get to see but we get lots of details about. While Minas Tirith was fading, a city under permanent siege, it's clear the rest of the land is fairly populous - you have southern Anorien below Minas Tirith (where, I presume, the bulk of the inhabitants of that province now live), the mountain vales of Lossarnach, the five rivers of Lebennin with its ancient city of Pelargir, the fisherfolk of the Mouths of Anduin, the hardy folk of Lamedon, the heart of 'new' Gondor, practically a kingdom in of itself, Belfalas, the populated Morthond and Ringlo Vales, and small villages of the Anfalas, and the rich hills of the PInnath Gelin - whew! It's a lot of territory.
    Also a fun tidbit - there was a second set of beacon-hills, mimicking those between Rohan and Gondor (which Gandalf lists each beacon-hill at the start of ROTK) - the southern beacons led to Belfalas (again, reinforcing Belfalas as an almost-independent kingdom).

13. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    If you don’t yet play LOTRO or haven't yet gotten to its Gondor regions… you should.

blackmyron likes this.
  14. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    I plan on (eventually) going through the old MERP stuff from the 1980s; they did a fairly good job, IMO, of a pastiche of Gondor just past its height.

15. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Well, that's interesting - never noticed this before, but Gandalf indicates that Sauron is not destroyed when the One Ring is!

"...his fall will be so low that none can foresee his arising ever again. For he will lose the best part of the strength that was native to him in his beginning, and all that was made or begun with that power will crumble, and he will be maimed forever, becoming a mere spirit of malice that gnaws itself in the shadows, but cannot again grow or take shape."

Also, Gandalf is kind of a downer:
    "Other evils there are that may come; for Sauron is himself but a servant or emissary."

Barriss_Coffee, Sarge, Ghost and 4 others like this.
  16. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Yeah, him and Saruman become like invisible powerless ghosts who can't even move, just carried around by gusts of wind. They have immortal souls, only humans can ever truly leave the circles of the world, even beyond the timeless halls the Ainur sprung from and Melkor is entrapped.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2021
    Iron_lord and blackmyron like this.
  17. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Well... no one knows about the Dwarves.

In one of his unpublished works, there's a long dialogue between a human wise-woman and one of the great High elves on the nature of immortality. The elf is astonished that humans are bitter about their lives, and believe that they were immortal once too, but it was robbed from them. He says that he believes this to be untrue, that short lives were always part of humanity. And then he reveals that the elves have a dread of the future - that they are confined by the bounds of the world, even in death, and there is a deep and abiding fear of the certainty that one day the world will end - and they will end with it. The human wise-woman is astonished to hear this, and that the elves are actually envious of humans 'escaping' the bounds of the world.

Sarge, Rew, Darkslayer and 4 others like this.
  18. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    The "Athrabeth Finrod ah Andreth"
    http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Athrabeth_Finrod_ah_Andreth

blackmyron and Iron_lord like this.
  19. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    [​IMG]

Hand Of Isildur, Giancola.

Iron_lord and Gamiel like this.
  20. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    I’m watching the Lord of the Rings movies again. Really the first time since seeing The Hobbit films.

That scene in Fellowship when Bilbo gives Sting to Frodo and spies the ring making him briefly go all Gollumy. I forgot how touching that scene is afterwards. Frodo has already been through so much at that point, but Bilbo knows even better the hardships ahead of his nephew. And Bilbo feels responsible and sad he can’t go on the quest for Frodo.

It also shows why Bilbo can’t be the person to shoulder the burden of the Ring. It’s not that he’s too old, Bilbo spent too much time with Ring and is under the sway of its power. He couldn’t destroy the ring.

21. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Well, technically Frodo couldn't destroy the ring, either... :p

PCCViking , Mar17swgirl, EHT and 3 others like this.
  22. Bacon164

Mar 22, 2005
    I love and appreciate that scene, but it gets a little maudlin the older I get. There's nothing of that quiet tinge of regret that comes with old age that we get with his poem in the book's same scene, it's just very "Ole poor old lil me feel sorry for me old Bilbo."

23. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I almost get mad at Bilbo later at the end when he seems disappointed that Frodo "lost" the ring, because he would have liked to hold it again.

24. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    That just makes me sad because it shows that Bilbo's mind is slipping away.

25. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Right, that's why I said "almost"... it's one of those "I can't actually get mad at him, it's not his fault" situations.