main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph One Thread To Rule Them All: The Rings of Power, The Hobbit, Lord of the Rings & Middle-earth films

Discussion in 'Community' started by -Courtney-, Nov 25, 2006.

1. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
  2. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Elven leaks.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  3. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    The purist in me would like to point out that there were no 'ancient elven cities' in Middle-Earth, apart from Gondolin, unless they're talking about humans settling in Eregion after its destruction - which is clearly not the case for a 'coastal city'.

4. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Maybe something similar to Vinyamar?

5. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Tolkien made it clear that the 'dark elves' didn't really build cities - Doriath and Thranduil's kingdom being the norm - and the exiles were always at war and didn't have the freedom to build true cities, only fortresses - with the exception of Gondolin.
    I would say there is an exception - Cirdan's port cities of Brithombar and Eglarest. But those were not only destroyed by Morgoth's forces soon after the 5th Battle, they also clearly sank into the ocean at the end of the First Age.
    There was the small port of Edhellond that was in what became Gondor, but the elves did not abandon that until the fall of Moria in the Third Age.

6. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
    Cirdan? Pls cast Ian McKellen and film Gandalf receiving Narya immediately. I'd like to see the Istari in their original costumes, but in better condition, fresh to Middle-earth.

7. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    According to at least one source, it is believed that J.R.R. Tolkien based the Nine Nazgul in the Lord of the Rings on this picture. The Nine human kings corrupted by the one.

In May 1910, European royalty gathered in London for the funeral of King Edward VII. Among the mourners were nine reigning kings, who were photographed together in what very well may be the only photograph of nine reigning kings ever taken.

Standing, from left to right: King Haakon VII of Norway, Tsar Ferdinand of the Bulgarians, King Manuel II of Portugal and the Algarve, Kaiser Wilhelm II of Germany and Prussia, King George I of the Hellenes and King Albert I of the Belgians.

Seated, from left to right: King Alfonso XIII of Spain, King George V of the United Kingdom, and King Frederick VIII of Denmark.

[​IMG]

8. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    What makes you think Amazon isn’t going to have their own Gandalf (in a future season or series)

They’re playing a long game

9. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
    Nothing, ofc. I made a request, bcs I like him in the role.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2021
  10. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Gandalf was a Third Age emissary, so he won’t be in this (at least for now).

Darkslayer and blackmyron like this.
  11. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
  12. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Well... revelations in the new book have Gandalf being one of the initial representatives sent to the elves in the First Age...

Edit: the Blue Wizards were also Third Age.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2021
    Darkslayer, Iron_lord and Bacon164 like this.
  13. Bacon164

Mar 22, 2005
    well that kinda recontextualizes his conversation with Bombadil

blackmyron likes this.
  14. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    [​IMG]

PCCViking and Iron_lord like this.
  15. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
  16. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    What new book?

17. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    The Nature of Middle-Earth. It's a collection of miscellaneous writings by Tolkien regarding the universe of LOTR.
    Among other things, we learn that Numenor was home to dancing bears, and Aragorn was incapable of growing a beard.

18. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Well Viggo was prescient casting then since he could never go beyond perma-stubble. :p

Darkslayer and Lordban like this.
  19. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    FOTR had its theatrical debut 20 years ago today. :cool:

TCF-1138 and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  20. Bacon164

Mar 22, 2005
    I never saw it in theaters

I remember watching it on DVD and falling asleep every time and barely making it to the end before TTT arrived in theaters. by then, the FOTR video game had come out and I was also reading the book and all the media was blending together.

One time I chose to rewatch AOTC instead of seeing FOTR for the first time. I was too scared of the goblins and trolls from the trailers.

21. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Holy hell! How on earth has it been twenty years since FOTR?!??! I remember seeing it in the theater like it was yesterday. It was the first time since 9/11 that I kind of forgot about everything and was able to relax/totally engross my mind on something else. Even being in state government things were well intense to say the least in the weeks and even months after 9/11. Seeing that movie felt like the first real break.

Sarge likes this.
  22. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    only until the ring was destroyed.

[​IMG]

also we've talked about this before!

https://boards.theforce.net/threads/aragorns-beard.31480794/

Todd the Jedi likes this.
  23. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    JRRT's official stance is that Aragorn cannot grow any facial hair whatsoever.

24. Bacon164

Mar 22, 2005
    Bakshi wins again

[​IMG]

Count Yubnub, Rew, cwustudent and 3 others like this.
  25. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Bought the Bakshi film on DVD yesterday, because I found it at a scifi shop, and it's important for our collection.

Can't believe it's been twenty years since FOTR. It doesn't seem that long ago. Though I didn't see it until some time in January 2002, because I was in Thailand throughout December of 2001, and I didn't feel like watching the film dubbed into Thai.

Bor Mullet likes this.