main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Padmé Amidala MEGAthread - Don't look at her that way. It makes her uncomfortable

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Ganesh Ujwal, Dec 31, 2014.

1. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    Also Sebastian Shaw was almost 10 years older than Alec Guinness. :p How weird would it be to imagine a 34 year old Obi-Wan training a 43 year old Anakin like a cocky, hot shot adolescent. :p

Last edited: Jun 20, 2020
  2. AEHoward33

AEHoward33 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2019
    It's just cold blooded murder. That's like Luke killing Anakin in cold blood and telling him that it would be the right thing to do because the latter was a killer. Apparently, Lucas thought that was wrong. When Anakin had killed Palpatine, he did it to save Luke, whose life was in immediate danger.

I cannot believe I'm saying this, but I have to. After reading the above comments, I have no hope of humanity ever evolving. Not really. You say that this is fiction and not fact. But . . . you know what? I think that deep down, humans have no problem with using violence or murder to solve a problem or get rid of evil. Deliberately using evil to destroy another evil only makes that person evil in the end. Thank you George Lucas for not allowing Padme to commit attempted murder.

Tonyg likes this.
  3. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    @AEHoward33 I mean, the Star Wars saga is filled with people using violence to solve their problems. For instance, Luke uses violence to blow up the Death Star filled with Imperial soldiers. Does that make Luke a mass-murderer and an evil dude? Personally, I'm inclined to say no. Star Wars isn't really promoting a pacifistic ideology. Even Padme seems to learn the perils of pure pacifism in TPM, and TPM Padme is probably the closest Star Wars has to a straight-up pacifist.

However, I think we are wandering a bit from the purpose of the thread at this point, so I'll just leave it at that.

wobbits and boonjj like this.
  4. boonjj

boonjj Jedi Master star 1

Jan 21, 2016
    Using violence to defend yourself is not evil.

5. Deliveranze

Nov 28, 2015
    I agree that violence or the threat of violence does not make a character evil. That said, I dont really like the idea of Padme making an attempt to kill Anakin. I can see people using that as a justification for Anakin's lashing at her, and I think the evil of Anakin's attack on Padme is more highlighting of the tragedy, and the "what could have been" nature of the film, then both lovers trying to kill one another.

Padme being right in the face of wrong when it comes to Anakin's redemption and sharing compassion just like her son is more powerful to me than ROTJ revealing Luke is "better" and more "compassionate" than his mother.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
  6. AEHoward33

Aug 11, 2019
    People are not advocating for Padme to kill Anakin in order to simply defend herself. Some are advocating the idea of her seeking him out to deliberately kill him in cold blood, because he has become a Sith Lord.

Sith Lord 2015 likes this.
  7. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    I totally agree that it would be completely out of character for Padmé to kill Anakin in cold blood instead of self defense. For what reason? Just because he told her what he would like to do? Even in the real world, you can't just convict someone for what he has not even done, let alone kill him. Also, it would be barbaric to kill someone just because he is a Sith. Being a Sith is a sort of belief or even religion, not a crime per se. And to expect Padmé, Anakin's WIFE of all people, to kill her husband is ridiculous.

8. boonjj

boonjj Jedi Master star 1

Jan 21, 2016
    I'm responding to the arguments you have made and the way you have framed things, not what other people have said.

You said: "It's murder. That's all Padme would be doing. Committing murder. Why do people think it's okay to murder someone in cold blood, because of the victim's moral compass? As if that gives someone a right to commit murder"

&

"Some are advocating the idea of her seeking him out to deliberately kill him in cold blood, because he has become a Sith Lord."

But this isn't an issue simply about Anakin's "moral compass", or because he "became a Sith Lord" - both things that, if Anakin were to be punished for, could by themselves arguably be considered thought crimes.

This is an issue about the fact that Anakin committed actual acts of violence. He murdered a class of younglings. He murdered the leaders of the Trade Federation and the Separatists. He murdered Mace Windu.

Frame the events accurately and base your arguments on the facts, that's all: Anakin was a mass murderer on the run on the day of which he committed his crimes.

Triad Moons likes this.
  9. Deliveranze

Nov 28, 2015
    The only way I can see the knife scene working in favor of the character is if the Galactic Civil War begins immediately after the Clone Wars. If the Rebel Alliance and Empire are immediately fighting, then Padme's militaristic outlook on Anakin's role as an enemy COULD work.

However, if ROTS plays out exactly the way it does but this time Padme pulls out a knife, it wouldn't. ROTS tries to drag Padme down into hopelessness but she remains resolute in her beliefs, I think having her try to kill Anakin would be the "Padme has no hope left" scene to parallel to Luke's compassion in ROTJ which would make her look morally weak in comparison.

Plus, "Theres good in him. I know there's still..." is more powerful than "Obi-Wan, kill him! Promise me, you will kill him."

Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
  10. StartCenterEnd

StartCenterEnd Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 2, 2006
    Padme losing Corde is very similar to Anakin losing his mother. Both feel responsible and that it’s their fault, Padme blames herself for going back to politics and Anakin blames himself for not being strong enough. Padme wants to defy the mandate of the Jedi council to find out who was behind these attacks and Obi Wan shuts her down but Anakin vows to find out who is behind it. Later Anakin defies his mandate to go find his mother and Padme supports him. Padme knows the grief and guilt of the death of close loved ones and friends and I think this deepens her bond to Anakin.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2020
  11. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Indeed. Padme being deeply hurt plays a lot better. Just wanting things to return to how they were, but distressed that’s extremely unlikely. Someone that depressed wouldn’t be in a murdering frame of mind in my opinion.

ShelbyAmidala and Sith Lord 2015 like this.
  12. ThisIsTheWay

ThisIsTheWay Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 24, 2019
    The only way I could see really see Padme (attempting) to kill Anakin on Mustafar is her fulfilling some kind of promise to him. Even then, I still don’t see her going through with it because she’d never give up on him.

13. dagenspear

dagenspear Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 9, 2015
    I can see the movie, and would prefer this, if we saw her almost in conflict about whether or not she should do it, then trying to talk him down first. I almost want her to have a gun with her and when begins to go off on his own hype, she clutches a blaster behind her back, but persists to try and pull him away from the edge, which goes totally pear shaped when he sees Obi-Wan. Personally, I would've wanted Padme to be felt more in her effect of the whole series, in her giving all her family money she has to, say, Bail Organa and Mon Mothma for their coo before she confronts Anakin, so it's almost like she's apart of the forming of the rebellion.

14. AEHoward33

Aug 11, 2019

I had also posted the following:

I guess you missed this? I had no problem with Vader killing Palpatine, because Luke's life was in immediate danger. Also, there is a quote from Friedrich Nietzsche:

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you."

Seeking out Anakin in order to kill him, simply because he became a killer? Padme becoming judge and executioner? I believe if Padme had done that, she would have simply become another murderer. I'm glad that Lucas did not go that route.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
  15. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    Great post- I agree with Padme sticking to her guns so to speak.

BBM. This line is exactly why I wouldn't be sold on Padme attempting to kill Anakin.

Sith Lord 2015 and Deliveranze like this.
  16. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Love this outfit.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 21, 2020
  17. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    I don't. It's gratuitous, objectifying sexualization and one of the low points of the trilogy.

18. CloneBlooper

CloneBlooper Jedi Grand Master star 2

Dec 20, 2002
    For a trilogy with so many low points it’s a affectively a high point. But yeah, George’s attempt at injecting a bit ooh la la is as misplaced as my queen every time I play chess.

19. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I acknowledge the objectification of the bare midriff thing-something which would not pass in films today-but mostly what I see there is one BAD@$$ female senator, who can definitely hold her own!

StartCenterEnd and KyleKartan like this.
  20. Tom Skywalker

Tom Skywalker Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 18, 2020
    Does anyone know who auditioned for Padme back then for TPM - apart from Natalie Portman (and Vinette Robinson apparently)?

21. Lady_Skywalker87

Lady_Skywalker87 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 4, 2008
    @Tom Skywalker as I understand from the TPM featurettes, I don't think there was a formal casting for Padmè..George was looking around..and he offered her the role after watching Leon and Beautiful Girls. It's been while since seeing it though so..

Bumping this in honor of Natalie's birthday today.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

22. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    200 girls auditioned, but the names have never been disclosed. Seeing those films did help, but I don't know if he had seen them prior to her audition. I assume so.

23. TFWBWYA

TFWBWYA Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 21, 2022
    I would've loved to see Rose Byrne play Padme. She plays Dormé obviously in AOTC. She's a much closer resemblance to Carrie Fisher, and she's a fantastic actress. Rose is awesome in everything. She also displayed wonderful sensitivity/vulnerability in her small scene with Natalie Portman. I don't hate Natalie. I'm just not a fan.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2022
  24. Poe loves Rey

Poe loves Rey Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 6, 2015
    Natalie was perfect for the role and so was Hayden.

I wonder if anyone will do an edit with young Sebastian Shaw deepfaked onto Hayden. That would be interesting

25. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    Regarding Padme and her outfits and being one of the 'low points of the trilogy'

don't think those involved would agree.

LOVE Portman's quote at the end of this video:

4:16-4:40

[face_love]