main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Paul S. Kemp Q&A Thread (Crosscurrent spoilers)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Rogue_Follower, Feb 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Mr. Kemp- I wanted to tell you that I truly enjoyed your novel, and I enjoyed your writing style. This is what star wars needed a long time ago. I hope that your next book is even better. Can't wait for the TOR-2 tie in.

2. patchworkz7

patchworkz7 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 26, 2004
    Finally got around to reading this after my room mate swiped it up first when I bought it on release week.

Absolutely lovely stuff. I was a little concerned that some of the early force scenes made the Force users seem a bit overpowered, but I felt like there was a nice distance between how Jaden used the force and how the old Master and Sith did.

I also enjoyed Jaden questioning the moral actions of the Jedi, and being willing to go on a personal quest to find himself.

The story arcs all dove-tailed nicely together, and the theme of them novel was reflected in ways big and small. The theme of interconnectedness through the force, destiny, and lines of probability were all there on display in characters to the plot.

Lovely, lovely stuff and a welcome addition to the shelf. This is the sort of stuff we need more of.

Cheers for a great read!

3. PaulsKemp

PaulsKemp Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 15, 2008
    DarthJoe,

I didn't specify (because I don't see the need to lock something like that down) but in my mind, at least, I figure Jaden to use the medium style.

As for the clones, we don't yet know if they received any training or are self-taught (feeding off each other, as it were).

4. PaulsKemp

Sep 15, 2008
    I appreciate that a great deal, Vong. Thank you kindly.

Paul

5. PaulsKemp

Sep 15, 2008
    This -- "interconnectedness through the force, destiny, and lines of probability were all there on display in characters to the plot" -- is what I intended to be the very point of everything in the novel. It pleases me to no end that it came through that way for you. Thanks for sharing. :)

6. patchworkz7

patchworkz7 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 26, 2004
    I think the way the theme was there at every level of the plot and with the characters in ways micro and macro really elevated the whole story for me. If it hadn't been 3am when I finished it (due to not wanting to put it down by that point) I would have cheered when a certain character discovered the meaning of life and his fate came for him.

It's rare to see a book use theme that well, but mixed with a great character piece and action pieces and it really stands as a wonderful addition to the EU and was a real pleasure to read.

It also gave the Force back some of the mystery it so desperately needs, which is odd considering the nature of the experiments Jaden uncovers, but it really did feel a lot more philisophical than a dry summary of the plot would let on.

Thanks again for a great read.

7. Darkfallen

Darkfallen Jedi Youngling

Apr 10, 2010
    Mr. Kemp, I must say out of the many SW novels I've read, yours is one of the best. Ever since reading the novelization of Revenge of the Sith, I've been looking for a novel that could match it, and I believe yours is the one I seek. I especially loved the way you used the concept of 'crosscurrent' to great effect. I loved the word 'reify' too. ;D however, I do have some inquiries.

1. Is the madness of the Kamclone any indicator of how the clones' children will be like? Will they be mad, just like he was, or are they just tortured souls seeking peace, or merely innocent children trapped in a life of darkness?

2. Will you write a prequel to Crosscurrent? About how the clones were created and how they then slaughtered the people who made them?

3. Will Marr ever wield a lightsaber, or will he just use a blaster? I noticed that nothing was mentioned of Marr in Fate of the Jedi. Does this mean that he'll die in the Crosscurrent mini-series?

8. PaulsKemp

Sep 15, 2008
    Darkfallen, thank you kindly. I appreciate that.

1. Not necessarily indicative, no. I can't speak too much about the clones just yet.

2. You know, it hadn't occurred to me. I guess you never know. For the time being, I'm happy to have the sequel. :)

3. Good question but I'd like to leave it unanswered until the sequel.

Paul

9. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I think a Prequel, set during the LotF arc, would be awesome. There are whole weeks between various LotF novels... a nice and sneaky tie-in would be loved. [face_love] Valin, Jaden, Caedus...

10. Darkfallen

Darkfallen Jedi Youngling

Apr 10, 2010
    Hmm. I see, but there's another question: Won't you tell us what Saes and Relin's lightsaber forms were? In the book, it mentions Saes relies more on brute force than finesse. Does this mean he uses Djem So? And how about Relin? I'd like to believe he used either Forms I, III or VI, but I'd prefer your own confirmation. You are the author afterall.

11. KnightDawg

KnightDawg Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 26, 2007
    I haven't read all of the previous comments in this thread, but I finally finished this book last night. Loved the book overall, but one thing is still driving me crazy. If Darth Krayt had the same vision (or some sort of vision) as Jaden Korr, then why wouldn't he send one of his One Sith to the scene instead of a simple Anzat? This made ZERO sense to me. He was already sending Dician around the universe, why not send her to accomplish this mission? Other than that, the book was great and obviously there will be some sort of sequal regarding the other Force-sensitive clones that escaped in Kell Douro's ship.

12. PaulsKemp

Sep 15, 2008
    Knightdawg,

First, I'm glad you enjoyed the novel.

As for your question: The most obvious answer is that Krayt did not want to expose the One Sith by using a One Sith operative (as opposed to using a "hireling" like Kell). Perhaps Dician was off doing something else.

The subtler answer is that Krayt wanted things to unfold exactly as they did and the sacrifice of Kell was the 'price' he had to pay to make that happen. I tried to suggest this kind of foreknowledge in Kell's final exchange with Wyrrlock, when Wyrrlock conspicuously says "Goodbye, Kell Douro." If you reread that exchange thinking that Krayt (and therefore Wyrrlock) know that Kell is soon to die, the words sound much more ominous.

Now, why would Krayt do this? Well, that's the stuff of sequels, but for my money, he's the kind of guy who plays the long game. If he wanted Jaden to find the clones, wanted the clones to get loose, the only question then is: Why?

Maybe we'll get to see.

13. KnightDawg

KnightDawg Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 26, 2007

Thank you, Paul. That is a valid answer. I could tell that Wyrrlock knew Kell's fate and I love how you wrote Kell questioning what Wyrrlock said to him....classic!!

I really hope a sequal is in the works.

Thank you for a great book. I love when an author can successfully combine many events in the EU (Outbound Flight, Lost Tribe of the Sith, One Sith) into one book. I also like how you described the secret Emipre facility. At first, it gave me a "Deathtroopers" deja vu. Kudos!!

Thank you again.

14. Zorkel567

Zorkel567 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2010
    Mr. Kemp I have a few more questions:

1) Might the One Sith return in the sequal?

2) I was thinking- Might Darth Krayt have wanted the clones out to either put in the One Sith or stir up some mischeif?

The Old Republic: Deceived questions

3) Do you know or can you reveal what year(s) The Old Republic: Deceived takes places in?

4)Does it take place before, during, or after Fatal Alliance?

Thanks you. I loved Crosscurrent and can't wait for your next novels. Both sound awesome!!! :)

15. PaulsKemp

Sep 15, 2008
    Zorkel,

First, I'm delighted you enjoyed Crosscurrent. :) As for your questions:

1. I haven't had my final outline for the sequel approved yet, but (shaking my magic 8 ball) all signs point to yes.

2. I have to ask you to wait and see on this one.

3. Deceived takes place the same year Coruscant is sacked. In fact, the sacking of Coruscant and its immediate aftermath are pivotal moments for both Malgus and Aryn Leneer (the Jedi protagonist in the novel) but (obviously) for different reasons. I can't say much more, except that I'm excited for the book to hit shelves and I hope you all dig it.

4. Now that I'm not sure about, because I don't know with certainty when Fatal Alliance takes place. If Fatal Alliance takes place after the sacking of Coruscant (as seems likely), then the events of Deceived would precede the events of Fatal Alliance.

Paul

16. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    In the DP for Deceived, Darths Maglus and Angral are listed as "Sith Lords" whereas "Lord" Adraas is simply listed as a Sith... I... well, I don't suppose you could tell us how the "Dark Lord/Darth/Sith Lord/Lord but not a Sith Lord" distinction works in the TOR era, could you?

Some us obsess over this kind of thing, you know.

I mean, not ME, obviously....

But some of us. [face_batting]

17. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Guilty. [face_blush]

18. RaidonMakoto

RaidonMakoto Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 10, 2007
    Hello Mr. Kemp! I loved your book; it was one of the best Star Wars books I had read in a while. I especially loved your diction. This book definitely had a much larger vocabulary than most of the other Star Wars books I've read, which made the book even more enjoyable for me.

I don't have any questions about the book, though I have a minor one about the sequel (though I'm sure you're probably not allowed to answer it). Are you going to deal with Jaden's master, Kyle Katarn, at all in the sequel? And if so, any chance of having Kyle and Jan Ors FINALLY hook up? It'd be cool if the door was open to seeing some little Kyles kicking ass in Legacy. XD

19. PaulsKemp

Sep 15, 2008
    Ulicus,

I have to defer to the game developers on questions like that. Sorry.

Paul

20. PaulsKemp

Sep 15, 2008
    Raidon,

As you suspected, I can't really get into that level of detail with regard to the novel. Sorry about that.

Paul

21. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    I suspected as much, but it was worth a shot. Thanks, regardless.

22. RaidonMakoto

RaidonMakoto Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 10, 2007
    Alright. It was worth a shot, lol. Thanks anyways. I look forward to the sequel.

23. Ackbar_Van_Gungan

Ackbar_Van_Gungan Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    According to Paul S. Kemp's Twitter feed. The sequel to Crosscurrent is officially...

RIPTIDE

-The Rebel Gungan

24. Zorkel567

Jan 20, 2010
    First off, I wanted to say I love the title Riptide. Now I have a couple questions.

1) In Crosscurrent, it mentioned Jaden had even stopped talking to Valin. What type of a relationship did they have?

2) If you can't reveal, will you be able to in Riptide?

3) Since Malgus appears in the Hope trailer, will any of it's events be touched upon in Deceived?

Thank you for doing this.

25. Zorkel567

Jan 20, 2010
    If you're still doing questions, I just have one more, Mr. Kemp-
    Do you know if there's a chance for any of your Star Wars books to potentially get an ebook release?
    Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.