main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Percy Jackson & the Olympians/The Heroes of Olympus books and films

Discussion in 'Community' started by Miana Kenobi, Oct 14, 2012.

1. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Movie is currently getting panned by critics and holding a 34% rating on RT

2. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    [face_laugh] I guess they just aren't playing in my area, then; I haven't seen them (on TV, anyway).

Sounds unsurprising. I do love Stanley Tucci :D

3. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Well if the writers would actually, you know, follow the books, it might get a better reception...

NYCitygurl and JM_1977 like this.
  4. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Well, maybe if The Lightening Thief hadn't come off looking like a crappy Harry Potter clone, to the point of being shot by Chris Columbus, maybe Percy Jackson would actually be deserving of a better reception.

5. JM_1977

JM_1977 Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 23, 2011
    I read somewhere the director of The Lightning Thief idnt even read the book

6. Thrawn1786

Thrawn1786 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 8, 2004
    I saw the first movie with a friend and absolutely hated it. I knew nothing about the series, and was rather irritated with how much they screwed up the traditional Greek myths (I remember wanting to throw popcorn at the screen when Persephone popped up in Hell in the summertime). Still, I decided to give the books a try, and they're pretty good. There's enough in there to satisfy those who already know the myths, and enough to teach those who might not know the original stories.

The second series is even better, I think. Looking forward to the next book, given that The Mark of Athena ended on quite the cliffhanger (for a YA series).

My question is, are they going to try and turn the whole series into films? And go on to the second series as well?

7. JM_1977

May 23, 2011
    Sure hope not, but IMO the second series just doesnt live up to what the first one established

8. Thrawn1786

Thrawn1786 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 8, 2004
    I actually liked how the second series tried to pull back on Percy's heroics and we got different perspectives from the other characters. One of the few aspects I disliked about the original series was how Percy was so willing to rush into every mission/quest without entirely thinking it through (and yes I know he's supposed to, he's the hero and star of the series). With the new series, you really get the ensemble cast/'everyone matters' feeling.

9. JM_1977

May 23, 2011
    And the second series had the first interaction between Percy and Annabeth as a couple which I really enjoyed.

Also House of Hades, book 4, should be interesting considering in most old greek myths the inside of Tartarus is never really described so everything we see down there while Percy and Annabeth fight their way through should be all Ricks imagination.

Didnt know if people Hadnt read MoA yet so I used spoilers

10. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    I haven't. I heard about the cliffhangers (and remembered them from the original series) and decided to wait until they're all out :p MoA is #3?

11. JM_1977

May 23, 2011
    Yes with House of Hades #4 due to be released October 8th

NYCitygurl likes this.
  12. JM_1977

May 23, 2011
    Saw Sea of Monsters today and I gotta say it was more bearable then the first, but it still was real frustrating to watch. There was a few moments that I wanted to attack the screen out of frustration.

13. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006

Percy Jackson TV show coming to Disney+ !

TheChosenAlpha and Darth McClain like this.
  14. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
  15. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    I hope Disney does justice to the series.

Part of this means casting 12 year olds as 12 year olds.

Darth Punk and Iron_lord like this.
  16. Dark Ferus

Jul 29, 2016
    More about this, the PJO series has sold me on getting Disney Plus, more so than Star Wars.

If and when it comes to fruition, I’m hoping that they follow the format of a book equalling a season.

However, if they also adapted the Heroes of Olympus series, which I would not be opposed to, I would compress the books to a season given the shorter time span the sequel series entails.

I would also make fixes to the plot of Blood of Olympus.

Iron_lord likes this.
  17. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    So key. I’m not a reader of these books, but if you want the faithful on your side, get the casting right.

Anyone seen Artemis Foul yet? A mate of mine who’d grown up on the books was so disgusted at the kid in the film, he only lasted to the scene in the shrink’s office.

EDIT: typo

Last edited: Jun 25, 2020
  18. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
  19. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Oh yeah, so since the earliest days of this thread I have read all 5 PJO books, all 5 HOO books, and the 4 Apollo books that have been out. They're excellent, and the second series is especially great. These books are the ones that showed me what middle grade books can do.

Emperor Ferus likes this.
  20. Dark Ferus

Jul 29, 2016
  21. TheChosenAlpha

TheChosenAlpha Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 15, 2020
    As somebody who read all the books, I can't believe I only just learned about this disney plus show. Honestly, I feel PJ is probably way better suited for a show than movies. I hope they adapt Magnus Chase too, I guess they will if this does good.

Emperor Ferus likes this.
  22. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    I only read the two first books, who are the rest thinking of mauybe reading more books after done with the ones i read. I stopped reading them soon after the movies stopped at the second. I might read them before this show is coming.

TheChosenAlpha likes this.
  23. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
  24. Dark Ferus

Jul 29, 2016
    Please nobody over 13.

@Fredrik Vallestrand I absolutely recommend all the books. There is so much that the movies didn't begin to cover.

I understand issues with Heroes of Olympus as well, but I genuinely love that series as well up to Blood of Olympus.

Nothing beats House of Hades for me.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2021
    Fredrik Vallestrand likes this.
  25. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018