main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Solo Planets/Worlds of Solo

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Mostly Handless, Oct 6, 2017.

1. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Not a planet, but the Maw was so cool:

[​IMG]

2. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Ahem. That’s not the Maw. ;)

That’s the Akkadese Maelstrom. The Maw is just the black hole.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
    Blobofat, wobbits and Darkslayer like this.
  3. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Shoot, did I really not know that? Time to turn in my nerd card :p

But really though, I thought the Maw was the term for the region that contained a whole cluster of black holes. I always pictured it something like this.

Although, upon typing this out, I realized a black hole would probably have sucked all those clouds in :p

whostheBossk and Bor Mullet like this.
  4. Siphonophore

Siphonophore Chosen One star 4

Nov 13, 2003
    Please pardon my lack of decorum for what I'm about to say. I have been revisiting Star Trek: The Next Generation on Netflix. In Season 1, Episode 23: "We'll Always Have Paris", the Enterprise visits the Vandor system. There are at least four planet Vandors in the system, as the focal planet is Vandor IV (although, Captain Picard says they are orbiting Vandor).
    https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Vandor_system

5. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    Not sure what you are basing this on? A third of TPM was set on run-down Tatooine. Even in your example, Coruscant, the Speeder chase goes through industrial areas and ends up in a dirty alley behind the Outlander Night Club in the first act of AOTC.

I find it odd whenever people complain that the PT is too sleek and not as used-looking. The one culture that uses streamlined vehicles are the art deco influenced, peaceful Naboo and even they have clearly visible imperfections on their starfighters and speeders. The Republic ships and Trade Federation ships in the same film are more heavily weathered.
    As the films progress things get more dirty, unless you are in a place like Kamino, which needs to be a sterile, light flooded, silent environment to further push the mysterious alien feel and contrast with the harsh climate outside Tipoca City.

You'd perhaps appreciate the work the artists put into making the PT's GFFA belieavable by watching the 2019 Celebration Chicago Doug Chiang design panel. Really insightful.

I feel like the planets in Solo don't stand out much by themselves as locations, but the beautiful cinematography and exciting action set pieces make them feel fresh. Same goes for the interior sets.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
  6. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I think TPM is the exception. That film looked great. The PT looked less and less tangible, and also less well-designed, as it went on. Not coincidentally, that drop in quality coincided with a diminishment of Doug Chiang’s involvement - until he wasn’t really involved at all in ROTS. That was one of the biggest mistakes of the PT. Chiang’s the true successor to McQuarrie. Nobody else comes close.

whostheBossk and jeangreyforever like this.
  7. Aximili86

Aximili86 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 28, 2018
    The Phantom Menace just might be my favorite-looking SW movie, honestly. Perfect mix of old & new, all the benefits that came over the 20 years since the OT while still more or less feeling classic-era Lucasfilm. Plus yeah, Chiang's design work is a million times better than the EpIII guy whose name escapes me.

I'd kill to see Naboo again, especially in an anthology flick set in the Imperial era once they start doing those again. Naboo's like the easiest articulation to me of George's great ambition of "do something a total 180 turn to the OT", rather than just take the easy route and try more of the same.

whostheBossk likes this.
  8. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    The name’s Ryan. Ryan Church.

And I agree. He’s basically the anti-Christ of concept artists, despite the name.

Last edited: May 28, 2020