main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "Ponder the Question" Marvel's 'What If...?' [Disney+]

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ahsoka's Tano, Mar 13, 2019.

1. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Would love to see a continuation of this episode.
    Captain Marvel, Captain America, who else to join the Avengers in this universe?
    Sam Wilson? Scott Lang somehow? Peter Parker in a couple years?
    Someone from Asgard?
    And what about Hydra? They would definitely try something with Loki in charge.

Jedi Merkurian , BigAl6ft6 and Sarge like this.
  2. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Yeah I'm joining the consensus in that I wasn't overly excited about this episode.

So among the most important members of the original Avengers team are assassinated, Fury makes a pact with Loki and eventually find the culprit; but then Loki takes advantage of no Avengers and takes over the planet. Um...ok. I guess that was inevitable. Obviously this is an alternative universe than the one with Captain Carter. So the saviors in that universe would be Captain America, Captain Marvel and.....Spiderman?.....Dr. Strange....the GOTG? We'll probably never know for sure.

3. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Gotta love Clark Gregg, he had some of the best line deliveries.
    "Sir, he's gorgeous. It's an accurate description."

4. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    And Phil Coulson agreed later on, didn't he?

5. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    I know the show has specialized in retaining the original actors who played the characters in the LA movies, but were there any characters voiced by someone else in this episode?

I could be wrong, but I don't remember seeing
    Scarlett Johansen
    in the opening credits.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2021
    Sarge likes this.
  6. DarthRamRod

DarthRamRod Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 1, 2018
    It was an alright episode but the animation seemed different.

Sarge likes this.
  7. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    See, this one was more along the lines of classic What If...? comics, where things get really dark really fast, but with a "hope spot" at the end. I'm here for it.

8. ArtemusGordon

ArtemusGordon Jedi Master star 1

May 30, 2015
    So I guess like Darren Cross, Pym probably suffered from direct exposure to the particles in this universe and that on top of losing his daughter pushed him over the edge? He is using the Yellowjacket suit here, so that is likely the idea.

You also have to remember that Janet isn't really dead, and is either going to be trapped in the quantum realm forever here and if not is in for some pretty awful news if she somehow makes it back.

9. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    You’re right. :)
    Lake Bell provides Natasha’s voice. Several actors did not return to do voice work for these.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2021
  10. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    I'm sure it's probably a stupid assumption, but
    Johansen didn't bow out of the VA job because of her differences with Disney/Marvel, right? I figured the What if? project was put together long before her issue with D+ airing Black Widow at the same time as the theaters.

11. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    IDK, but both were filmed/recorded in 2019, so it could have been scheduling conflicts or
    Black Widow was her last project at Marvel.

12. nilzo antonio

nilzo antonio Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 31, 2015
    BW, Captain Marvel, Tony/IM, Thunderbolt Ross and Betty Ross were all voiced by diferent actors.
    Everybody else were voiced by the original actors.

13. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I thought the voice actress for Black Widow did a great job, I bought it when she called Fury "Boss"

14. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    They nailed it. Betty being the least.

I actually watched phase one this week through Thor. It all started when a friend wanted Burger King on a late night drive home, and that’s the American Hamburger Tony wants in Iron Man. This What If??? was pitch perfect for its remixed retelling of the early films.

I also never realized Incredible Hulk, Iron Man 2, Thor, and Captain America’s present day scenes take place nearly simultaneously.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  15. ArtemusGordon

ArtemusGordon Jedi Master star 1

May 30, 2015
    Thinking more about it, I guess that isn't in as deep trouble as it seems at the end. Even beyond Captains Marvel and America there to help, Loki is occupying Earth with the Asgardian army, not the Chitauri here, so once Odin wakes up he's probably not gonna think too much of that (even if Thor did get killed by a human, this is wisened king Odin at this point).

Sarge and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  16. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    It was somewhat interesting how Fury summoned Captain Marvel so early (remember in the known universe she isn't summoned until after the snap).

17. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    Yes it is interesting. Loki had successfully concurred Earth so that meant it was time for the big guns. If Nick texted her earlier maybe it would have been avoided. That also shows how Nick considers summoning Captain Marvel a last resort. He is totally committed to raising a new team that is more regularly available on Earth.

Wow does Michael Douglas sounds like his father.

18. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    I didn't notice his name in the opening credits (it may have been deliberately concealed to avoid spoilers), but that was in fact Douglas voicing Pym?

19. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Yeah, this episode was pretty meh, especially following the totes amazeballs episode 2. There were a few good bits (Coulson's description of Thor), but not that many. Hey ho.

Sarge and darthcaedus1138 like this.
  20. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Quick question; if Thor is supposed to be like a god,
    how come he was so easily killed by an arrow?

Sarge and nilzo antonio like this.
  21. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    His powers were stripped from him by Odin when he was banished from Asgard. He’s mortal.

22. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    I think it's clear that a lot of love went into episode 2 and this one...less so.

Jedi Knight Fett and Master_Lok like this.
  23. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Episode 2 is certainly a good love letter to the fans from Chadwick Boseman's T'Challa (even if it's an alternate version) one last time.

24. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Exactly. To be fair, some thought went into this episode (Tying in how Thor, Iron Man 2 and The Incredible Hulk were all happening at the same time.) That said, it did not feel as character-centric as the second episode, so it fell flat except for Samuel L. Jackson’s Fury. One of the best things about the MCU is the focus on characterization in the midst of these fantastic stories. As a result, this episode did not grab me.

Bring on Strange vs. Strange...O:)[face_devil]O:)

25. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Loved the episode! One question though:

If Hank Pym based his “kill list” off of SHIELD files, how would he know about Thor? In “main” continuity, his arrival in NM was the first anyone had heard of him

BigAl6ft6, Sarge and Master_Lok like this.