main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "Post Hoc, Ergo Propter Hoc" : The West Wing Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by heels1785 , Oct 28, 2014.

1. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    See, that's something that really bothers me about the West Wing. It's not "Her Royal Majesty" it's "Her Majesty". Even if the American characters were to get it wrong (and you would expect world politicians not to get it wrong, but whatever), there's no way a British peer would get it wrong. It's just lazy writing. I'm surprised Roger Rees didn't correct it during filming.

2. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    That wasn’t Lord John. That was Lionel Tribbey.

3. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Of course it was. :oops:My apologies. But I do remember Lord Marbury saying "Her Royal Majesty" at some point and being annoyed by it. :p

4. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    EW with the obligatory commemorative edition :p

heels1785 likes this.
  5. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003

"because i'm tired of it - year after year, after year, after year. having to choose between the lesser of 'who cares?' of trying to get myself excited about a candidate who can speak in complete sentences. of setting the bar so low, i can hardly look at it."

watched this episode yesterday, contains some of my favorite scenes from the series. leo's quote is especially meaningful atm.

also, fake it til you make it.

6. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    positive ive posted this before, maybe verbatim, but I just watched it and got the feels and stuff.

john spencer was a giant of his craft.

7. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    I just watched the episode where a documentary crew follows CJ around for a day. The terrorist on that island ended up dying in prison from “complications of kidney failure”—lol, is that what they’re calling it?

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
    heels1785 likes this.
  8. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    that's "access," the episode i've skipped on every one of my 477 rewatches. it's dreadful.

i also usually skip the one where cj goes home. nothing against cj, i just don't like the episode. also the live debate between vinick and santos, because it was a good idea for live tv, but awfully tedious and boring on rewatches.

9. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    I also skip "Access" when rewatching, but I can't imagine skipping the one where CJ goes home and bangs Matthew Modine.

10. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    But how could you skip any frame that contains Allison Janney?!

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
    Mar17swgirl likes this.
  11. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Saw this on twitter today, it made me really happy! [face_love][face_love] (Under a spoiler cut since I know there are people actively watching for the first time. It's kinda a spoiler for the last season... maybe?? Spoiler cut just in case!)
    "

Also, images from them filming the HBO special! Which is set to be on HBO Max on October 15th!
    ""

12. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003

never thought i'd see this day. i'll miss leo.

i'd forgotten that toby's line to jed about not acting like he was "plain-spoken" came from this episode. that is a wonderful exchange. never forget david wheaton, who taught jed chess and subsequently got stabbed in san francisco. @};-

13. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Also, several cast members are doing this upcoming zoom trivia night to fund the Joe Biden Victory fund. May not be everyone's thing but I bought a $25 guest ticket.

https://secure.joebiden.com/a/west-wing

heels1785 likes this.
  14. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    that sounds awesome!

15. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I know Brad Whitford, Allison Janney, and Dule Hill at least are among them!

heels1785 likes this.
  16. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    I'm a little teary-eyed just from that trailer. :(

heels1785 likes this.
  17. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    so by coincidence, i was at "hartsfield's landing" in my current rewatch. first time I've watched it knowing that the special episode is a stage version of the story.

of the many wonderful small-scale episodes that are largely contained within the walls of the WH, it is one of the best. watching through it, easy to visualize it with the older actors.

there are a lot of great mini-stories that I forgot were part of this episode, too - the best among them the charlie/cj spat over cj signing out a copy of the president's schedule, that ends with charlie gluing her phone together, taking her desk apart, and revoking her building access lol.

sterling k. brown as leo mcgarry is going to be special.

18. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    I'm of the I think rare opinion that it's both. It's excellent storytelling and drama, well-acted, funny, great dialogue. It also helped brainwash a generation of establishment neoliberal Democrats into thinking governing should be done in a completely stupid and counterproductive way, while pushing weak policies.

It's a wonderful show, but I try to enjoy it as the fiction that it is.

I get annoyed by my leftist friends saying that there's nothing good about the show and it's bad writing. I'm also annoyed with establishment people lauding it and holding it up by an example. They're both wrong.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2020
  19. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Has anyone else watched the special yet?

I really enjoyed the special guests, especially
    Lin-Manuel Miranda
    but not so much
    Bill Clinton, who looks particularly ghastly.

20. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    planning to watch tonight!

21. Yodaminch

Mar 6, 2002
    Same. This will likely be after the town halls to serve as my dose of hope.

Princess_Tina likes this.
  22. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Yep, I am hoping I have time to watch tonight..and I should since there's no football game.

23. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    I think I'm gonna end up watching it twice.

24. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    it's a fantastic stage performance. haven't done it yet, but if you line it up against the original episode, i'll bet most of the acting is nearly the same - rob lowe and martin sheen converse exactly as they did 20 years ago. richard schiff's line delivery is the same, as is a lot of janney's. anna deveare smith is a powerhouse. sterling k. brown did a brilliant job as leo - could tell from some of the behind-the-scenes stuff how seriously he took on this role.

my favorite "surprises" were

ed and larry hanging out in the hall after cj and charlie passed through, during one of their spats.

the framed "bartlet for america" napkin on leo's desk.

also enjoyed seeing so many minor characters making a return - press corps members, assorted secretaries, etc.

MrZAP and Princess_Tina like this.
  25. Yodaminch

Mar 6, 2002
    Yeah, that was a big one for me. I couldn't believe how many of the supporting cast members returned. I think only Admiral Fitz was missing.

Everyone was on their A game which is no suprise. But Martin Sheen- the man didn't miss a beat. Which is why at the end
    When they merge the play into the end of the actual episode

it flows so smoothly.

Agreed that Sterling K. Brown took the role seriously. That said, there just is no replacing John Spencer. But I liked the Leo that he gave us.

heels1785 and Princess_Tina like this.