main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "Post Hoc, Ergo Propter Hoc" : The West Wing Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by heels1785 , Oct 28, 2014.

1. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    [​IMG]

2. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Saw this on the WW subreddit:

[​IMG]

Mine would be different in some spots - wondering how much you all agree with this.

3. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Very little? But if they're only using Democrats, then I suppose it might work?

4. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Here's how I'd line it up:

LG - Sam
    NG - Charlie
    CG - Josh

LN - CJ
    TN - Jed/Leo
    CN - Bruno

LE - Jed's father
    NE - Haffley
    CE - Jay Mohr's Bill O'Reilly impression

5. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Wait, is there a lemon-sj website?

DarthIntegral likes this.
  6. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Just to be sure, do you know the actual backstory behind that plot? I'm assuming you do ('cause... Hollywood) but it's hilarious (if others don't know)...

And, of course there is: Outer Rim Sieges...

7. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Wow.

Did not know that. 20 minutes well spent on Google. Thanks!

dp4m likes this.
  8. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Just throwing this out there. if we did 3 episodes a week, we could do a group re-watch and discussion over the course of the year. Anyone up for such shenanigans?

9. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    hell to the yeah i am

10. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Um, or just listen to The West Wing Weekly with Josh Malina and Hrishi Hirway?

We're so far behind on other TV (and in the middle of a quasi--rewatch with a friend who comes down and stays with us about every 2 months) we couldn't participate right now... :p

11. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Slightly off-pace, but easy to catch up.

Episode 01:01 - "Pilot"

I had hoped to review and give thoughts on each episode as a stand-alone, but for me in Pilot this proved nearly impossible. So much of what happens in this episode is linked to how the show goes forward, and works (or doesn't) because of how I know the series will play out and the characters develop. It's an almost perfect pilot episode, because it's the series in a nutshell - President Bartlett doesn't have many scenes, but he's a total badass, winning the day through his superior intellect and care; Sam is such a big thinker, hamstrung by his own naivety; Josh is a loud mouth jackass who could get a lot more accomplished if he would take time to listen and not insist his ideas are the only ones that matter (he sure is a nice allegory for modern politics, isn't he?). This first introduction we get to Toby - that he is arrogant and believes that rules don't apply to him - is the perfect introduction to Toby. CJ is the only major character who struggles in the pilot, and IIRC, she struggles for a bit before finding her feet on the show.

I had forgotten how much I enjoyed the story arch between Sam and Laurie. Again, it's quintessential Sam. He thinks he's going to do only good with the Call Girl he loves, and doesn't think about the big picture, or about the impact his words and deeds have on her. Time and again, we see a similar lesson from Sam, but that's okay, because it works. Sam doesn't do much with Laurie in the pilot, but I know what's coming, and I'm excited to see the good, and fearful to see the bad, ignorant, and misguided.

On a similar note, I'd forgotten how much I don't like the character of Mandy. She so ... forgettable. Amy Gardner, once introduced, plays a similar role so much better.

As to the episode itself - fairly straightforward for the West Wing. Nothing special in this one.

I'm going to be tracking a few things through the rewatch. Not sure what all will end up on this list, but we're starting with:

Josh Lyman Firing is threatened/hinted/implied - 1

12. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    DarthIntegral, mavjade and dp4m like this.
  13. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Heelsie :(

As long as it's Sorkin writing it.

heels1785 likes this.
  14. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    I imagine Sterling is locked into This is Us given its already renewed for another two seasons. And honestly Allison Janney is doing well with Mom and CBS sitcoms rarely die until the creator is bored. Richard Schiff is doing great with new show The Good Doctor and Martin himself is in Grace and Frankie. Joshua Malina is looking for work though. Not sure what Rob Lowe and Bradley Whitford are up to aside from Bradley's role in Get Out. That means our best shot is a mini series or movie and not a full series. I can live with that.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
    heels1785 likes this.
  15. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
  16. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm planning on this fall (probably later when I'm moved into a new place) to watch The American President again (the prototype to TWW and one of my favorite movies) and full re-watch of the show. It's gonna be great.

heels1785 likes this.
  17. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Sorkin has also said he'd need a full idea first, which he doesn't have.

I'd be 100% up for President Sterling K. Brown, but I really love the idea of Sam being president. Bartlet tells him it will be him one day. He also tells the designated survivor that one time "You got a best friend? Is he smarter than you? That's your chief of staff" and in 20 Hours in America when Sam is staffing the President he says he always knew Josh was smart, but he didn't realise how much smarter than Sam he was until that moment. Sam President, Josh CoS.

I wouldn't be mad about S.K.B. though, he is amazing and I'd watch him in anything.

Bradley Whitford is going to be in a major recurring role in The Handmaid's Tale for season two and I think Rob Lowe is still on Code Black.

But with that being said, every single one of them said they'd be willing to do it if Sorkin is doing it.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
  18. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    watching the laura dern poet laureate episode today

[​IMG]

between her and toby, lemonlyman.com, and jed's sorry/not sorry "22 caliber mind in a 357 magnum world" line about ritchie on the hot mic, this is a great episode.

also, for anyone interested:

MARION COTESWORTH HAYE IS ALIVE AND WELL

edit - and gosh, this scene too:

allison janney, oscar winner. deserving of many more. what an episode this is.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
    Yodaminch and DarthIntegral like this.
  19. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    What I love about that 'motherboard/technically I outrank you' scene is that she is yelling at him, clearly mad, and then they say 'okay' and then they decide to walk to a meeting together. They do this more than one time in the show, have it out and then it's over. I just love it.

But I agree, that's a great episode. I use this gif quite often:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
    DarthIntegral and heels1785 like this.
  20. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    To celebrate the season, we have been given a West Wing Weekly bracket.

Fire up MS Paint, and let's see em!

Blank:
    [​IMG]

Mine:

[​IMG]

21. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
  22. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    bracket filled out under protest. I can't believe Marion Cotesworth-Haye didn't get a bid. Terrible bias from the selection committee.

[​IMG]

heels1785 likes this.
  23. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Agreed. However it is the absence of one Percy Fitzwallace that has resulted in a riotous crowd forming outside of the committee's meeting site.

dp4m likes this.
  24. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Honestly, I think Leo vs. Mrs. L was the hardest call for me... Charlie / Leo was also tough, but less so...

heels1785 likes this.
  25. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Charlie would have been in the finals for me if he wasn't in the region of doom. Also, assuming these are set up according to seeds, there is some nonsense going on - namely Amy being a one seed.

Re: Inty's picks - you spend 13 years on a Star Wars message board with somebody, and then they have Sam Seaborn going down in the first round, and you question all that you know.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2018