main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Post technical questions and issues here. Yes, the layout is slightly different!

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Grimby , Sep 2, 2012.

1. Adamoss

Adamoss Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 31, 2023
    Hey everyone,
    I want to post possible spoiler information about Ahsoka show but i
    have not found information on how to do this with spoiler buttom.
    Any advice?​

Last edited: Feb 4, 2023
  2. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    You’ll need to make sure the thread and forum is the appropriate place too, but here’s how…
    Type the following with the spaces removed:

[ spoiler ] spoiler info here [ /spoiler ]

DarthIshyZ and Darth Starwalker like this.
  3. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    \You can see a complete list of the BB codes in our Help section.

EHT likes this.
  4. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Also, if you click the + symbol on the formatting toolbar above the text box, there is a spoiler option that adds the necessary code for you.

pronker and EHT like this.
  5. Adamoss

Adamoss Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 31, 2023
    Thansk for help
    I posted information about Ahsoka possible spoiler in
    Ahsoka (TV series) News and Discussion
    if you are curious check it out.

6. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    anyone else having problems replying in PMs?

site seems to working normally today except that when I hit "post reply" in a PM, it just seems to get stuck in an "in-process" mode (with the icon of the little pulsing bar in the top right hand corner)

(edit: no such trouble or delay in making this non-PM post, tho)

Last edited: Apr 2, 2023
    Tay Neir and Nehru_Amidala like this.
  7. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I didn't see any errors in the Server Error Log - has anyone else had the issue?

8. Pensivia

Apr 24, 2013
    I just had another issue just now--it wouldn't let me create a new thread in Community (same thing happens with the little pulsing vertical lines in the upper right hand corner of the screen). I'm posting from my laptop using Chrome (the lines pulsed for a few seconds and then stopped, but the thread creation didn't post)

Last edited: Apr 5, 2023
  9. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I've just replied to a PM and had no issues. I have had the non-posting issue happen when my PC was doing something else (like checking for Windows Updates or running a virus scan). Have you had slowness issues elsewhere or just here?

Tay Neir and darthbernael like this.
  10. Pensivia

Apr 24, 2013
    no, no issues with other sites--just here. I just tested and it let me make a reply to a PM, but it still won't let me post a new thread in Community. When I went to Community and selected "new thread," the complete draft of the OP I wrote earlier today was there as a saved draft, but when I hit "create thread," it just does the pulsing bars thing for a few seconds, then that stops, but the thread isn't posted.

11. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Have you tried clearing your browser's cache? Maybe something in there is causing a problem, Note that in my browser (Firefox) there is an option to clear cookies as well. I'd leave that unchecked if Chrome offers the option since that would clear any saved logins you have. Just go for the cache clearance. (I don't use Chrome so Google is your friend here if you don't know how to do it).

Pensivia likes this.
  12. Pensivia

Apr 24, 2013
    Thanks @LAJ_FETT ... I just tried clearing the cache but it still won't let me post a new thread. I will try clearing the cookies too if it doesn't resolve soon (leaving that to a last try as I rather not lose all my active logins if I can avoid it...)

Last edited: Apr 6, 2023
    Tay Neir likes this.
  13. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Not sure what else to suggest - it does seem that it's you and not the boards since no one else has complained. Do you have a different device you can try on or can you try a different browser? What operating system is your laptop on?

Pensivia likes this.
  14. Pensivia

Apr 24, 2013
    So I figured out the problem! In both cases (PM and starting the new thread), the issue seemed to be with a link I wanted to include to an NPR segment (the page in question has both the audio and the transcript of the segment). When I removed the link, I was able to post the new thread.

I've posted a ton of NPR page links in the past (in both PMs and public threads)--something must have changed in how NPR does its URLs or something (?)

Last edited: Apr 7, 2023
    Tia and LAJ_FETT like this.
  15. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Glad you figured it out! Maybe the format of the link was at fault..

Pensivia likes this.
  16. DarthIshyZ

DarthIshyZ Chosen One star 8

Jan 8, 2005
    I've had the same problem with NPR links. I've tried to post this link a few times with no luck.
    Code:
    https://www.npr.org/2011/08/11/139085843/your-picks-top-100-science-fiction-fantasy-books

Pensivia likes this.
  17. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    I just tried and can't post that link raw either, but I can if I post it with display text using BBCode.

This thread on the XenForo support forums looks relevant: https://xenforo.com/community/threads/link-not-unfurling.208193/ (and there is a mention of NPR being one of the problematic sites).

Pensivia and DarthIshyZ like this.
  18. Pensivia

Apr 24, 2013
    what button do we use in the menu bar for posts to do that?

I think NPR must have changed something, because I used to post raw links all the time. In fact, the raw link would often automatically embed with a graphic element (like embedded a tweet or something)

19. DarthIshyZ

DarthIshyZ Chosen One star 8

Jan 8, 2005
    If you "quote" his post and look at the "BB Code" you'll see it. He posted
    Code:
    [URL='https://www.npr.org/2011/08/11/139085843/your-picks-top-100-science-fiction-fantasy-books']with display text using BBCode[/URL]

There's also a place in the "Welcome New Users" Forum to practice BB Code.

Bazinga'd , jcgoble3 and Pensivia like this.
  20. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    Yeah, being a software engineer, I just type the raw BBCode directly into the box. For me, it's faster than switching to the mouse to click buttons. I can appreciate that others find clicking the toolbar buttons to be easier, but I'm not familiar with them. I'd guess it's the one that looks like chain "links".

21. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    You can see all the BB Code formats in our Help section.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2023
  22. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    I just developed HTML 9 to simplify this issue; :p

jcgoble3 and DarthIshyZ like this.
  23. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    We've had another user report the posting problem with an NPR link - first thing to check if you can't post and others can..

24. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I think I found the issue with the NPR links. There's a 'www' before NPR that prevents the link from being posted here. However if you remove the 'www' the link will post but then the server can't be found. If you look at DarthIshy's post above you'll see what I mean.

Edit - see post below. I think it might have something to do with the link length.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2023
  25. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Been playing with it. If you post the link in BB Code it seems to work:
    NPR

However if you were to put that link right in the post it won't. Not sure why but length could be an issue. I guess the best thing is if you want to post an NPR link put it in the 'url' BB Code.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2023