main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Potential Threats/Antagonists For New Films

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by King Maul, Jan 5, 2018.

1. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
  2. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    One of my personal favorites.

darklordoftech likes this.
  3. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
  4. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    He does have pre-existing conditions.

5. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    I don’t think the world is ready for that yet. Maybe in 20 years…

I think Star Wars should start drawing more from the political climate of the war on terror/GWB/Iraq etc and move past the trappings of WW2/Vietnam/Nixon. Which I think Andor is a step in that direction

6. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I think the Star Trek movie that Noah Hawley was developing, which apparently revolved around some sort of Federation-spanning pandemic, would have been the appropriate venue for that kind of story. Star Trek has always excelled at contemporaneous social commentary. Star Wars can get way more meat out of the current socio-political climate, i.e. the rise of alt-right populism and resurgence of ethnocentrist fascism in democratic countries. The war on terror and GWB is quite literally yesterday's news.

7. Dagothoth

Dagothoth Jedi Youngling

Dec 30, 2022
    We already covered that resurgent alt-right topic in the ST and it led to declining ticket sales and the complete destruction of the brand’s overseas prospects

not to mention the fact that the fanbase skews conservative and white

Do we really want to see a Star Wars sequel actually LOSE money?

Last edited: Jan 4, 2023
  8. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    This is not a fact, at all. And we're dropping the subject. We're not dragging this thread into a "lightsaber measuring contest" of modern politics.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2023
  9. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2014
    Now I'm wondering who's going to be the villain/antagonist in Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy’s movie.

10. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    I really hope it’s not the First Order Remnant or something like that. Just… leave them all stranded on Exogol and be done with it. Maybe pirates, or a small war breaks out on a single planet or between two planets within the same system?

11. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2014
    Yeah, I agree. Something different this time. I like the idea with the two planets.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2023
  12. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I have a feeling it’ll be something like the Grysk or… ugh… the Yuuzhan Vong. A threat that’s unique and can span several films.

13. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I want to see a Yuuzhan Vong equivalent, a villain group whose dogmatic zealotry leads them to regression, and a willingness to die to preserve that regression.

TaradosGon and DaddlerTheDalek like this.
  14. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    The best idea in terms of connectivity and coolness, IMO, is to make the threat an expansionist Mandalorian Empire. Driven by someone who usurped the throne from whoever ends up getting it in the New Republic timeline.

Ghost likes this.
  15. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019
    The First Order returns! Again!

16. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    I'm going to nix that because 1) I don't want to repeat that conflict either, and 2) I'd rather them save the Jedi on Mando action for the original war between the two in an Old Republic film or series.

Ghost and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  17. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    What conflict? I don't remember seeing an expansionist Mando Empire on screen threatening the galaxy.

18. The Chalk Jedi

Nov 8, 2019
    Both ideas have merit. Hard to say which is the best approach.

19. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    Sorry, I should have clarified: the conflict of the Mandalorian throne getting usurped and Mandalorians reverting back to their early days of bloodlust. That was a pretty central conceit of both The Clone Wars and Rebels, and whatever peace or unity they achieve, I'd like to see last.

20. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Ah, got ya. I just mentioned that as a bit of background. In my thinking, that coup would happen at the start of the era, or even before it. So the Mando civil conflict would already be over.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2023
  21. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    I really do wonder if the era being called New Jedi Order is any kind of hint. I don’t like the Yuuzhan Vong personally but they are at least a unique enemy. I do like the idea of a multi-film series in the vein of the Harry Potter films.

22. The Chalk Jedi

Nov 8, 2019
    The thing about Jedi enemies is that they need to be something that can be cut down with sabers in movies that kids see.

This is probably why Lucas picked droids for the PT. And the ST had very limited Jedi action so it could mainly be against Kylo Ren. We did have the praetorian guard too who were for all intents and purposes dehumanized by their masks, so killable in a kids film.

So what kind of enemy could be cut down regularly and still retain that PG rating?

23. Power of the Dark Side

Power of the Dark Side Jedi Master star 4

Mar 17, 2023
    The obvious halfway house between droids and people is some form of cyborg. It was done once with Vader, but it could be cheaper for the Empire/New Order etc to take dead stormtroopers and revive them using technological components. Its not a new idea, but it would work pretty well.

The Chalk Jedi likes this.
  24. The Chalk Jedi

Nov 8, 2019
    This kind of cyborg idea isn't half bad, but connecting it to the Empire in any way seems pretty bad.

When @Darth Chiznuk suggests barbarian warriors like the Vong, my heart says yes, but I wonder if they could be designed in such a way that would make killing them not too grotesque.

25. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    I definitely like the idea of this new era being like Late Antiquity with the Republic being invaded by barbarian hordes. The Yuuzhan Vong could certainly be a suitable enemy for a story like this. I would hope they fix some of the issues I have with them like their terrible design.