main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Practical Effects in the Prequels- Sets, Pictures, Models, etc.

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Han Burgundy, Dec 28, 2013.

1. Master_Rebado

Master_Rebado Chosen One star 6

May 31, 2004
  2. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    I was rewatching all the PT bonus content DVDs over the last two weeks and it felt like a real throwback for me. What I noticed is how many scenes are shown on monitors or glimpsed at through behind the scenes cameras that never ended up in the film.

For example: In ROTS there is a scene where Bail tries to enter a building but gets asked for ID by a blue senate guard in a hostile way. The ROTS Antilles action figure has fresh scarring on his face- so I assume they have to draw their blasters against the guards to make it out on the Tantive. There's also the first version of the Invisible Crash Landing debording (possible seen in the image above), Anakin trying to place further distrust on Anakin, implying Obi Wan and Padmé might be up to something, the original duel between Palpatine and Mace (with Anakin already present), the Padmé Obi Wan scene before Anakin's second vision, all of which I really hope will finally be included with the eventual 4K release.

In AOTC there is an unreleased scene with Padmé wearing what I would describe as a Malefecent head piece that wraps around her face. It's only seen in a close-up of her face, so it could be either on Coruscant or Naboo.

Those bonus DVDs are a real treasure trove, even 17 years after they began releasing them. Beautifully crafted menues, unique documentary concepts, etc. Shame this is an art form in its own that will slowly fade away because of streaming services.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
  3. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    I still have the DVDs because those menus are phenomenal. I never saw ROTS in theaters so when it finally came out on DVD, popping it in for the first time in 2005 and seeing the Mustafar menu was chilling.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
  4. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
  5. rpeugh

rpeugh Force Ghost star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    Im glad George let Hayden wear the suit. He deserved it. He did all that George asked of him even though he knew the fans would hate him for it. And George knew the fans would hate him for it.

6. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    I didn't know this but according to Twitter, its the 16th anniversary of that moment. Hayden filmed that scene on September 1, 2003.

Also here's a quote from Hayden attached to one of the pics:

”As much as I felt that I wanted to keep the fans happy I was so indebted to George when he offered me the role that my biggest concern was making sure that he was happy with the work. And that was really where I kept my focus.”-Hayden Christensen via Sci-Fi Online

Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
  7. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    Great quote.
    You are wrong about the date though. That was shot in the last day of the shooting period, September 17, 2003.

8. KyleKartan

KyleKartan Force Ghost star 4

Feb 4, 2004
    Totally agree on that! Those DvD sets were awesome from Quality to quantity! all the good and great Special Features (Web Docs, exklusive Making Ofs, Deleted Scenes Trailers...) set the Standard vor DvDs. The Ep I DvD was one of the best Releases of DvDs in General when it came out in 2001.

Naturally I still and always own them. The Content on the Bonus Discs was not released anywhere until today and I dont want to miss them in my Collection (same goes for the OT 2004 Boxset Release which Features the Empire of Dreams documentation).

Hopefully all the stuff u mentioned will be on the 4k set. Iam espcially curious to see the Obi-Padme Scene before Kenobi leaves for Utapau!

9. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    This is interesting. This looks like it's on the Star Destroyer set, but I was under the impression that an actor named Gene Bryant played Vader in these scenes during pick-up shooting. I guess maybe it was only certain shots?

10. Tonyg

Tonyg Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
  11. oierem

Mar 18, 2009
    What? The scene of Vader and the Emperor in the Star Destroyer was shot on the last day of principal photography, September 17 2003. And Hayden played Vader, of course. It was not shot during pick-ups.

12. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011
    From this article:

A secret Vader! Though Hayden Christensen is famous for being in the Vader suit in Episode III, actor Gene Bryant got into the suit for uncredited pickup shots for the ending sequences of the film. When Vader walks onto the Star Destroyer toward the end of Revenge of the Sith, that’s Gene Bryant in the suit, not Hayden.

I misremembered/mistakenly took that to mean that the entire scene was a pick-up.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2019
  13. KyleKartan

Feb 4, 2004
    So they pick up shot the walk to the window while the scene where Vader crosses his arms was there from the start...

Master_Rebado and oierem like this.
  14. oierem

Mar 18, 2009
    Most likely, both the walk and the crossing of arms were shot during principal photography (they built the entire set for something!).
    But they did shoot Tarkin in pick-ups, if I'm not mistaken. So, probably they needed to have Vader in that shot as well?

The Legions of Lettow likes this.
  15. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    If I recall correctly, these images are from the deleted scene where Palpatine plants the seed in Anakin's mind that Padmé and Obi Wan are more familiar with each other than Anakin is aware of. I wonder if this scene takes place after the opera, seeing how every player from that location is also in this one.

16. KyleKartan

Feb 4, 2004
    Indeed it is. Its after Anakin has seen Obi-Wan off for Kashyyyk. Right before he goes to see Padme to ask him "Obi-Wan has been here hasnt he?".

Said it so many times: would love to see the Scene of Padme and Obi-Wan before he goes off for Grievous!

BTW: here is the script Scene of the Scene shown in the pics:

17. KyleKartan

Feb 4, 2004
    Didnt want to start a new Thread so I post it here.

Just rewatched Episode I to start my Saga & Spin Off Run for Ep IX. Watched the Bluray Edition with my Beats Overear Headphones so my girlfriend could watch her stuff too (Iam to kind).

Man this movie looks beautiful in HD. It aged very well. Considering its a 20 year old movie those effects still look fresh and not dated. I was blown away again and again how well the effects still looked after ALL this time. How could that movie loose the effects Oscar to Matrix?! Ep I was a groundbreaking movie concerning the VFX. The Pod-Race alone deserves the Oscar, never as ANYTHING liket that seen in cinema before...a marvelous accomblishment!

Beside this Sound and Sound Editing too is amazing work from Ben Burtt and Co! No idea how they could not give the Oscar to that film. Even worse: NO nomination for Costumes?! NO NOMINATION FOR SCORE?!?!?! WTF!!!!???? I didnt remember that Ep I wasnt nominated for best score. What a shame for the academy.

Loved the movie. Its marvelous.

18. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    I think Ep1 looks ever better in digital than it did as a film print in theaters. And like you said, it's aged extremely well. In 1999 audiences weren't used to that look yet. Also The Phantom Menace moves really fast. So there isn't a lot of time to stop and take in what we are seeing. Today we're both used to the movie and the pace of films in general has sped up so The Phantom Menace doesn't feel rushed. There is also a fairy tale fantasy element to The Phantom Menace that makes it timeless in a similar way to The Wizard of Oz. Unlike the Matrix, The Phantom Menace is not anchored to the year it was made.

The Phantom Menace not being nominated for costumes is astounding. Those redefined what Sci-Fi and fantasy look like. But more than that everyone has unique and beautiful garments on. We take them for granted in a way today. 20 years ago they were so different it was sort of weird or unfamiliar in a way that took getting used to. They were pushing boundaries. But Star Wars has always been like foreign film from an unknown culture. The costumes are more of that.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
  19. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014

Those scenes are certainly interesting. Palpatine stoking a love triangle in Anakin's mind. Also Jar Jar's inclusion there adds some new layers to the Gungan that show him as a Falstaff type character. Anakin doesn't rebuke Jar Jar here, but both Anakin and Jar Jar recognize their place in the current hierarchy. And it's Jar Jar that cuts off the conversation. Jar Jar is important on one level, but at the same time he is one of the less important of the important government officials. He was probably happier back on his own in the swamp.

20. KyleKartan

Feb 4, 2004
    Yes I agree with you. I love the Bluray Edition of that movie! We get the full Picture, a sharp crispy looking movie and some effects have been improved. For me Ep I CGI makes a big difference too as I was never fond of the Yoda Ep I puppet. Even as a 12 year old child it didnt fit well with me. CGI Yoda in Ep II was a big improvment and with him beeging digital in III and then I completes the circle and Picture of the Prequels for me. AND: Ep I had the first digital Yoda in the first shot of him walking while discussing Anakins fate with Obi-Wan. Making him CGI in Ep I completly completes this journey too :).

As for back in 1999 I think you are right. Ep I was a game changer. No movie looked like it when it was released, now all movies look like Ep I (same goes for Ep II and III which established digital Shooting and now almost every movie is shot that way). When I watched it yesterday and the Scenes of Naboo where shown I was awestruck again of HOW BEAUTIFUL this Looks. The establishing of the Palace and Theed are amazing. I love how we explore this different world from what we know from the OT. But as soon as we arrive on Tatooine were back with the usual OT look. Its amazing how Lucas handled that.

Yes the movie has a fast pace but I dont think ist rushed at all. On Tatooine and Coruscant we spend quite some time and have lots of quiet dialgue driven Scenes. It makes sense that we move quickly from the TF Ship to the swamps, from the swamps to Otho Gunga and from their to Theed because we are in a hurry.

I think the Effects Oscar should have been handed to Ep I. Yes Matrix had the bullet time effect but beside this there wasnt much ground breaking new stuff. Ep I on the other Hand...Jar Jar alone was a game changer. The whole symbiosis of digital and pratical effects, the mate paintings...the freaking Pod-Race...a shame that it didnt was recognized the way it deserved to be recognized. Same goes for the Sound and Sound Editing. I again mention the Pod-Race. All those sounds orginally created for that movie are amazing. They are so unique and recognizable. And considering that Trish Biggar didnt win one Oscar for the whole Prequel Trilgoy is a disgrace for the academy. Her costumes for all the characters are marvelous!

21. Master_Rebado

Master_Rebado Chosen One star 6

May 31, 2004
  22. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    Gawd. On a SW nerdiness, I’d hate to see my ranking. Great find to both of you.

Deliveranze likes this.
  23. The Legions of Lettow

Oct 14, 2015
    A lot of people who hate SW CGI think that green screen didn’t exist until CGI. Well, maybe it didn’t but I think Lucas used both blue screen and green screen in the PT. And he used tons of blue screen in the OT. I can see not liking CGI if it’s badly done. And if it replaces practical effects, OK, I can a dislike—again if it’s badly done. But it’s far superior when well done to blue screen, traveling mattes, rear projection, front projection, and some models—all used in the OT, 2001, the Star Trek film series, Superman, and Blade Runner very expertly for their day.

I remember we were in awe of Jurassic Park for its CGI and then Lucas saying it had evolved to where he was not going to work on the PT. And imagine Coruscant if it were all practical.

Lucas in the PT whatever was cheaper, faster, more believe, and, pardon the pun, more practical.

According to Kathleen Kennedy, he would have used more practical effects in the PT if the technology they had for TFA existed then.

Anyway, excellent thread.

Mostly Handless, Gamiel and Iron_lord like this.
  24. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011
    What does that even mean? Each film in the PT used more models and miniatures than the entire OT combined. I don't think TFA used any models or miniatures.

25. The Legions of Lettow

Oct 14, 2015
    Well, I’m sorry. It’d have meant if the technology was better, he’d used MOAR practical effects.