main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Princess Leia Princess Leia Hoth & Bespin city costumes

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Zam-the-Assasin, Jul 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lavagrrrl

lavagrrrl Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2002
    WOW! I keep saying wow, and great job and I really need to find better words to express how great this is! Kim, wonderful work. =D=

2. LeiaYT1300

LeiaYT1300 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 7, 2002
    Absolutely brilliant! Bravo! :D

3. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    Very Beautiful!! Well done!

Bought my fabric today! And a graph book to start drafting the pattern! [face_dancing]

4. Tenyon

Tenyon Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 12, 2003
    Gorgeous! Took a while to figure that machine out but it is worth it 200%!

5. Jade-Walker

Jade-Walker Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 21, 2002
    Thank you so much, ladies. :) I appreciate your support and your encouragement.

Now I have to play with how to make the cape and the pleats at the top. I like LEiaYT1300's way with using seams. And, thinking about the french seams, I think that will be less bulky for the machine to embroider through as well. Then the nerve-racking process of actually doing the embroidery. I likely will be more careful and take more time than on the practice version, so I envision it taking weeks still--even with the machine doing a lot of the work. ;)

I really can't wait to Adalia-Durron's fabric paint version. I really hope that comes out as lovely as that one that padawan's guide has on her site.

*bounces up and down so excited about seeing these costumes come into fruition*

BTW--I know that some of the links are dead. So for the #32 copper braid, I got it from www.kreinik.com here. It came super fast! And I know that in the past people have said it takes about 5 spools.

6. LeiaYT1300

Mar 7, 2002
    Well, ladies, on a slightly different note, yet not so much, considering the title of this thread, I finally finished the newest version of my Bespin Escape jumpsuit costume and also the full Hoth ensemble. :)

Bespin Escape

Hoth Outfit

Just another addition to the roster of the stellar we gals have been doing. :)

7. Marianne_Solav

Marianne_Solav Jedi Master star 2

Nov 12, 2001
    It's beautiful! You did an amazing job! :)

8. Jedi-Loreen

Jedi-Loreen Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 2, 2002
    Very nice job!

9. starfire-phoenix

starfire-phoenix Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 2, 2004
    Amazing work, wow! What fabric did you use?

10. lavagrrrl

May 16, 2002
    Another beautiful costume from you, LeiaYT! You also did a great job on the hair styles and the photos. =D=

I'm curious about your fabric choice as well. :D

11. Last_Chael

Last_Chael Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 25, 2006
    That's fantastic!! You've done a brilliant job :D

12. LeiaYT1300

Mar 7, 2002
    Thanks, gals. [face_blush]

As to the fabric, I started research on it years ago and though a number of great recreations have been made in cotton twill and other fabrics, having stared at the pics I have numerous times of the original on film and on exhibit and like snowsuits of the 80s, I felt it had to be a tight, evenweave, synthetic fabric, something with the barest of sheen that will wrinkle softly with wear and be ever so subtly slick, like those snowsuits--though something that would make much less thigh-rub noise than those old snowsuits. ;)

After finishing my husband's ESB Han Solo jacket, I found that the texture and feel of the lining fabric I purchased for it would be perfect for what I was looking for. In short, ladies, it's $3/yd Posh lining from JoAnn's--kid you not! This particular lining is not as shiny or slick as most acrylic linings are and it has that tight synthetic evenweave similar to those old snowsuits but much softer (and less noisier!). And now that I've worn the jumpsuit a couple of times, the whole garment is starting to softly wrinkle like the original seems to, which I really like, especially when combined with the layer of thin needle-punched cotton batting I chose (it's got less than an 1/8" loft, so it looks padded but not puffy).

In short, I'm very pleased with the final look of the costume. :)

On a side note, the links to the albums above will soon be defunct, as I'm moving from my old annoying Yahoo! album to a Photobucket album, which offers hi-res, so I can prove that yes, I did quilt this thing. So feel free to click the new link below my sig. :)

13. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    =D= Brilliant work LeiaYT1300 and you have just the right look for that costume! Really impressive!!

14. PadawansGuide

PadawansGuide Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 26, 2002
    Wow, LeiaYT, your costume looks amazing!!! Perfect! :)

15. LeiaYT1300

Mar 7, 2002
  16. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    Jade-Walker - that is looking really amazing!

LeiaYT - your two new Leias are spot on and you look great!

Excellent work ladies! Continuing inspiration here :)

17. Nidrail

Nidrail Moderator Emeritus star 3 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2005
    WOWO! AWESOME Leia TY! Those are sooo accurate! And the hairstyles rocked, too :)
    =D=

18. LeiaYT1300

Mar 7, 2002
    Thanks, you guys - I really appreciate it. [face_blush]

19. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Wow, LeiaYT, you look amazing in your new costumes! Wonderful! Makes me want to be Princess Leia all over again like when I was a child. :)

20. Jade-Walker

Nov 21, 2002
    LeiaYT: Lovely job on the Leia costumes! You make such a good Leia, too. :D I can't wait to see them in person.

I've been playing with my muslins of the various portions of the costume. And I have some alterations to make to these, but finally have something that looks familiar:

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v189/Jade-Walker/Bespin%20Leia%20project/P1000759.jpg]

I still am going to change the muslin a little and will have to make the arm holes a little more accurate. But its getting much closer. :D
    I also have to shorten the tunic length. But that pattern that Padawans Guide suggested works quite nicely. :D

I'm still playing with the embroidery and am getting MUCH better at the alignment of the separate hoopings. I also made the yellow more of a gold color (which I prefer). I also liked LeiaYT's suggestion of the light brown being more of a reddish color to match the cloak. So I went that direction.

I have my dye for my silk tunic and pants. And will (nervously) get around to trying that out in the next couple of weeks.

21. LeiaYT1300

Mar 7, 2002
    Looks great, Kim! Getting excited to the see the final result! :D

22. lavagrrrl

May 16, 2002
    Ditto! It must feel really good to have that on your dress form after all this time! :D

23. Jade-Walker

Nov 21, 2002
    Yeah. Even the rough draft version feels good to have up after all these months of plannning.

I'm rethinking the pants design, though. The Harem pants costume pattern I have just makes the pants super huge! Even when I whittle them down, they just feel like clown pants. I think I'm going to take a pattern I have for scrub pants and use those as a base for the pants instead. Blousy/loose fitting , but not so much so that you could fit another 2 people in there with you like the other pattern. :rolleyes:

24. Nidrail

Nidrail Moderator Emeritus star 3 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2005
    LOLOL!!!!!

Well hey if you ever need to sneak other people into buildings for surprises and what not, at least you've already got a pattern for the disguise! :p

it looks smashing so far!!! Can't wait to see it finished, and good luck with the rest of it!!
    God bless!
    ~N

25. Last_Chael

Last_Chael Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 25, 2006
    That really looking amazing JAd-Walker! You've done a fantatic job so far, I really love seeing your progress!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.