main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Quagmire (AU, L/M others around ROTJ) Part 1 completed 29th. September

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by kataja, Jun 14, 2010.

1. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    I enjoyed the Luke/Leia bit there: how they were awkward but still wanting to connect. :)

The Luke/Mara scene in that gorgeous setting! Wow! =D= Wonderful mind-to-mind stuff there! [face_dancing] [face_dancing]

And yes, I do believe Mara's snit about everything is definitely due to the fact that she's not the "only" Hand. [face_thinking]

OK, now to the ... twist. [face_laugh]

You tossed Luke in with the persistent Shira? o_O

Excellent twist there, but I cannot help but think a teensy weensy bit at least is due to Luke's frustration with Mara ;)

And no, not even that twisty will get me to stop reading [face_laugh] Quite the opposite. I'm even more on the edge of my seat!

[:D]

2. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    And please bear over with me for what I do in the next chapters...

::narrows eyes at kataja::

ARRRGHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

...more coherent comments will come later after I read this again at home. :)

3. Piper057

Piper057 Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 26, 2009
    :D
    Thanks for the warning, though I thought it would be worse. At least, nobody died. Sometimes you start reading carelessly and end up in tears...JediMara77 knows what I mean.:_|

I've always wondered what Mara thought of her parents being an Emperor's Hand. One more thing to doubt for her now...

That's true. ))) And looks like Luke decided to follow her advice with Shira.[face_laugh]

[face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh] Priceless!

I also love his brief talk with Leia - an affair with Shira immediately starts to seem so false, like cheap jewelry.

4. JediMara77

Mar 5, 2004
    Piper: Whatchu talkin' 'bout?! ;)

Okay, now that I'm home and can read through this without wanting to strangle you. ;)

She always did when she got onto the subject of ?her old man.?
    Huh...very telling that Mara already knows some of Deena's traits. Mara's not fooling anybody with her 'no friends' schtick.

?I only know that I got my hair color from my mother.?
    :_| (I'm glad you put this in here btw...)

?Then he?s a fool,? Mara growled. ?He should start living his own life instead of searching for a past that?s long gone.?
    Oh, Mara. If you only knew why Luke needs to confront his past head-on.

Mara braced herself against the nausea her thoughts provoked. She was, she realized, in the course of this mission constantly going against all the beliefs, all the principles she?d learned. Her Master had always expected devotion and demanded loyalty, yet he had repeatedly warned her from giving it to anyone else. He had taught her awareness, comprehension and insight; he had persistently warned her about empathy. Never before had Mara understood how thin and confusing the line could be between all those emotions. Never before had it been an issue ? but suddenly she could hardly distinguish between them. Her Master had asked her to devote herself to serving him and thereby the galaxy, but for the first time the inhabitants of that galaxy, those ?lost beings? as her Master had always called them, had forced her to a point where it seemed she must choose between them and her Master at nearly every decision.
    This is a lovely insight into the mind of Mara Jade. (Heh, I almost added "Skywalker" to the end there - I'm getting ahead of myself! ;) )

I love how Mara is so torn up about not being the only Emperor's Hand. I remember reading that part in Children of the Jedi and feeling so torn up for her. That was the only part of that book that I really enjoyed! ;) I always wondered what would have happened if Mara had found out much earlier that she wasn't the only Hand.

Loved Mara and Luke in the garden. :D They like gardens, eh? Great minds and all. ;)

?What are you doing here, shortie?? she demanded. ?Don?t tell me you?re the gardener.?
    [face_laugh]

Something soft and warm touched his cheek. He jerked his head around in surprise and the softness moved to his lips as Shira kissed him a second time. Luke?s eyes widened and when she withdraw to only a few inches from his face her scent still surrounded him, exiting, eluding... He found himself unable to retreat ? and not just because the fighter was in his way. She was so close, so soft, so beautiful and completely irresistible... Instead he moved his face forward and their lips touched again. His eyes drifted closed as the kiss slowly deepened.

All of a sudden Shira pulled back, eyes shining. ?Oh Luke! You do want this after all!?

Excuse me if I tell you that I HATE YOU. :p

Stacey! [face_laugh]

A memory flashed through Luke?s mind; Deena, eyes shining, voice confident, ?I?m safe to play with?, and only a few weeks later, the long painful wait at the medbay, when he?d been preparing himself to take the responsibility it really had gone wrong. He straightened, pulled back. ?Then we can?t Shira, sorry??

Still a farm boy....

Luke realized in that moment he?d not only run out of arguments. He?d also outrun his dedication to search for them. Life seemed so utterly short and fragile and there were so many dreams his young mind and body still yearned for. Losing himself in Shira?s embrace he finally gave in to one them.

I think this is a case for a "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" button. BLEH. Just thinking about them together makes me want to barf.

As they left the room as the last ones, Wedge laid a comforting hand on his shoulder. ?Well,? he soothed. ?At least you remembered to zip up.?
    [face_laugh]

?What datapad?? Luke asked.

?Never mind.? Shira grinned towards him. ?I?m starving. How about you??

o_O

After supper, Shira followed him to

5. Jedi_BMK

Jedi_BMK Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 10, 2004
    ?I don?t think Luke would agree with you, you know.? Deena sounded thoughtful. ?He never knew his parents either but grew up with his aunt and uncle. He kept asking them about his parents all the time. Unfortunately he hardly ever got any answers. And the ones he got obviously were lies; he found that out later. But he?s doing everything to bring his past with him to his future.?

?Then he?s a fool,? Mara growled. ?He should start living his own life instead of searching for a past that?s long gone.?

Well, she's right, but not for the reasons she thinks.

The thing was, though, that Mara had an uncanny fear that if she simply ignored that tiny voice in her head, the voice that told her she was doing wrong on a constant, daily basis now, she might end up like Brie: a pretty, competent shell hiding an emotionless, corrupted creature underneath?

Yes, Mara, trust your feelings.

?What are you doing here, shortie?? she demanded. ?Don?t tell me you?re the gardener.?

The droid let out a short, clearly negative beep and if it hadn?t been so ridiculous Mara would have sworn it was almost offended.

I'm sure Artoo would make a fine gardener if he wanted to. :p

Luke shook his head. ?They checked the data files and found evidence that someone?s been into the system. Both the methane containers and the failing alarms and doors had been fiddled with ? and on different occasions it seems. All this is still strictly confidential of course. No one knows but Intel, a few in High Command, plus us two.? Skywalker glanced to his droid that let out a confirmating whistle, then back at her

Why do I have a bad feeling about what will happen when they start working on a list of suspects?

He didn?t back down either ? actually, she could sense his hackles rise at her demanding tone but he set his jaw and bit it back. ?I told you, I?m not on any mission for Intel here,? he repeated, voice forcibly calm. ?Besides, I don?t run around probing minds.?

?Well, perhaps you should!? she snorted back. ?What?s the use of those precious Jedi skills unless you use them once in a while? You can tell whether people lie, can?t you??

Though clearly uncomfortable, he didn?t flinch. ?I can.?

?Well, then do it,? she challenged. ?I don?t care. If you can clear me of suspicion, all the better.?

I'm not sure the Emperor is going to appreciate her encouraging him to use more of his Jedi skills.

Was he really so guileless or was he just humoring her? Mara glared at the Jedi without really managing to whip up the proper indignation. He was so? The sensation of his mind inside her own was still making her flurried, almost exhilarated. She shouldn?t have done that, the risk was too high? yet, if she hadn?t been alarmed about what he might find, would she have minded? It hadn?t been intimidating at all, almost the contrary? But this man was her enemy!

And now, of course, she's as confused as ever. Things will be so much easier when (if?) she figures out just what sort of person Palpatine is.

Shira just grinned and shrugged. ?Did you, by the way, find that datapad you lost the other day??

Wedge blushed slightly. ?Um, yes. Turned out it was it in Rogues? rec room. Must have slipped out of my pocket. Alarm cancelled.?

A missing datapad, huh? I wonder why something like that could have gone missing... o_O

6. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    Luke's in with too many dangerous women. I think he needs a nice woman. Like me. [face_batting] And that sneaky Shira. But who can blame her? ;)

Loving the updates--can't wait to see where this all leads! Thanks for the PMs! :D

7. Valiowk

Valiowk Chosen One star 6

Apr 23, 2000
    Loved Mara's musings in this chapter. Mara is truly learning a lot, both about herself as well as about the galaxy of which she has so far only seen a very one-sided picture, and I'm sure those of us who have been through a similar experience in real life know just how confusing it can be at the beginning.

Perhaps Mara doesn't realise it, but it's a sign of her growing closeness to Deena that she's sharing these details of her background with Deena. :) I'm sure most of us would not share such details so forthcomingly with simple acquaintances either, needless to say an Emperor's Hand.

Oh, Mara. You know, I suspect that a lot of the time, it's thoughts like these that prevent people from realising how they're being used - they naturally assume that the fault lies with themselves and not with the other party...

Yup, Mara, just make sure never to ignore that voice in your head!

Loved the description of the hydroponic garden. Is it a description of a place you actually know (with some modifications to fit the Star Wars universe)?

I'll be eagerly waiting for the details of how Shira set off the fire over the next few chapters!

Oh, Luke - he's clearly more interested in Mara than in Shira "in the way that counts" (by which I mean in the factors that one hopes to find in a life partner) - he just doesn't realise it. :oops:

Interesting what Luke's first thought is. Perhaps what's even more interesting is that Luke doesn't seem to be making that much of an effort to really get to know Shira inside, whereas he's definitely making that effort with Mara. :)

Hm... [face_thinking] I hadn't expected that the relationship between Luke and Deena had led to such consequences. It's really good that Luke and Deena are able to be comfortable around each other now.

The small Luke & Leia piece at the end was lovely. It's great to see some brother/sister interaction, whether or not they know it.

Looking forward to the next chapter! :)

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  8. Jade_Pilot

Jade_Pilot Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2005
    Highly entertaining! Can't wait for more!

Bravo! =D=

9. darth_treyvah

darth_treyvah Jedi Master star 3

Dec 26, 2005
    If I remember Shira Brie (or Lumiya's) history, this has gone far beyond a simple assassination mission on Luke. I'm glad you are continuing this awesome story kataja. I can really understand why Luke is having issues with Mara: even I as a reader feel really annoyed at her projected facade of prickliness. I suspect she only made Shira's plan even easier.

I also can't help but think that if Luke did have a child there would have been a pretty good possibility that it would have inherited the Skywalker genes ... for good or ill ... either way, it is a sad reveal.

10. blank101

blank101 Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 20, 2008

Ooh, great big huge plot developments this week! :eek:

-----?wasn?t it typical that of all the several thousand crew members of Home One she kept running into Skywalker? If it was the Force at play, it certainly gave her plenty of opportunities to kill him!

Or indeed, quite the opposite? o_O

-----?Is that what you call it? You were floating, do you know that? I mean, if you don?t want to fuel every single prejudice people have about the Jedi, then perhaps you should stay dirtside. Sitting cross legged at your age is weird enough as it is. Why don?t you keep to your cabin when you have to meditate??
    -----His eyes widened at her salvo?

He wasn?t alone! Wow, that was harsh! :eek:

-----?What?s the use of those precious Jedi skills unless you use them once in a while? You can tell whether people lie, can?t you??
    -----Though clearly uncomfortable, he didn?t flinch. ?I can.?
    -----?Well, then do it,? she challenged. ?I don?t care...?

Oh, there?s nothing like a little frisson of danger to add a whole extra dimension to flirting ;)

-----He took a few slow breaths, eyes fixed on the floor as he reached out to the Force, then looked up and straight at her. Blue eyes pierced through her and suddenly they weren?t mild but unshakable and powerful, so powerful they forced Mara to brace herself in order to hold her ground. In a blazing instant, their roles reversed. She was no longer pushing him but being challenged to her uttermost. He was no longer the over-polite, self-effacing farmboy but a compelling master, an overpowering iron mind, the change having taken place in seconds.

I really liked this; that he?s completely different in this aspect. Nice touch =D=

Luke and Shira?

LOL! Why is everybody barfing? C?mon, give the boy a break ? a fling will do him good! Granted, this one?s gonna end in tears, big-time, but still, it?s not like it?s Palpatine! [face_mischief]

Interesting though. Apart from anything else, with Luke?s loyalties so strong, he?d find it hard to even consider Shira as the arsonist now? Good timing on her part; I think even if anything does come up, he may actually be in the odd position of defending her [face_thinking] And clearly the moment he steps back, she?s gonna act all broken-hearted and have half the crew thinking what a barve he is :mad:

-----A memory flashed through Luke?s mind; Deena, eyes shining, voice confident, ?I?m safe to play with?, and only a few weeks later, the long painful wait at the medbay, when he?d been preparing himself to take the responsibility it really had gone wrong. He straightened, pulled back. ?Then we can?t Shira, sorry??

Sensible boy ? I?m proud of him!:D

-----He was interrupted by the hiss of the slide doors. Luke Skywalker tumbled in, his fatigues still open at the neck, hair untidy and cheeks turning a fascinating sunburn-red as everybody turned their eyes towards him.

Oh, you are so cruel? [face_devil]

-----As they left the room as the last ones, Wedge laid a comforting hand on his shoulder. ?Well,? he soothed. ?At least you remembered to zip up.?

Heh,heh,heh! :p [face_blush]

I?m also with Darth Treyvah on this one; Mara?s incessant prickliness is just playing into Shira?s plans!
    Hee! I love being a frustrated reader! :mad: :D

-----Shira just grinned and shrugged. ?Did you, by the way, find that datapad you lost the other day??
    -----Wedge blushed slightly. ?Um, yes. Turned out it was it in Rogues? rec room. Must have slipped out of my pocket. Alarm cancelled.?

Hmm, lost datapad. And here?s Wedge setting up a mission?.. [face_thinking]

Excellent chapter, Kataja - the pace is really hotting up! =D= [face_peace]

11. kataja

kataja Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2007
    Sauntaero
    What. An. Update!!!

Loved all three types of interaction you showed: L/M, L/S, and L/L! Your writing keeps getting more and more intense and exciting! Great work!

Aww, thanks! Your review was the first I recieved after I posted - and I was really nervous! [face_blush] You made my day![:D]

Jade_eyes
    I enjoyed the Luke/Leia bit there: how they were awkward but still wanting to connect. They do, they really do. But how can they get a habit of doing that now Luke has begun an affair with a woman Leia desetst so much! :(

The Luke/Mara scene in that gorgeous setting! Wow! Wonderful mind-to-mind stuff there!And yes, I do believe Mara's snit about everything is definitely due to the fact that she's not the "only" Hand.
    It really affects her - it tear away the ground she's standing on. Or, she feels it's that way. She has to redefine everything frem here - and when she's started to come to terms with it - she'll be in for another blow... [face_devil]

OK, now to the ... twist.

You tossed Luke in with the persistent Shira?

Excellent twist there, but I cannot help but think a teensy weensy bit at least is due to Luke's frustration with Mara

Oh it has, it defintely has. It's part hormones, part Shira's smart attack - but as it happened Luke was out of himself too. After all he's been resisting Shira for months - but Mara made him stumble there - and Shira was right there to catch him.

And no, not even that twisty will get me to stop reading Quite the opposite. I'm even more on the edge of my seat!
    Wonderful! Let's see how long I can keep you there, shall we? [face_devil] ;)

Piper057

kataja posted: And please bear over with me for what I do in the next chapters...

Thanks for the warning, though I thought it would be worse. At least, nobody died. Sometimes you start reading carelessly and end up in tears...JediMara77 knows what I mean
    She does yes! :p Thanks for that point. I can throw that in her head should she be really mad at me! :p

I've always wondered what Mara thought of her parents being an Emperor's Hand. One more thing to doubt for her now...
    Excatly. She has to many doubts already to mull over it now, but it will come up later....

kataja posted: ?Then he?s a fool,? Mara growled. ?He should start living his own life instead of searching for a past that?s long gone.?

That's true. ))) And looks like Luke decided to follow her advice with Shira
    Heh heh, well spotted! ;)

kataja posted: "He was interrupted by the hiss of the slide doors. Luke Skywalker tumbled in, his fatigues still open at the neck, hair untidy and cheeks turning a fascinating sunburn-red as everybody turned their eyes towards him"
    Priceless!
    LOL thanks! I figured that when Luke loses the grip he sort of really loses it ;)

I also love his brief talk with Leia - an affair with Shira immediately starts to seem so false, like cheap jewelry.
    Oh, I love these things you spot! Yes, that was exactly why I wanted to contrast them! Or, one of the reasons!

JediMara77

Okay, now that I'm home and can read through this without wanting to strangle you.
    I appreciate that! [face_batting]

She always did when she got onto the subject of ?her old man.?
    Huh...very telling that Mara already knows some of Deena's traits. Mara's not fooling anybody with her 'no friends' schtick
    Except still herself, maybe [face_thinking]

?I only know that I got my hair color from my mother.?
    (I'm glad you put this in here btw...)

I'm still pondering how much I will go into this in part 3...[face_thinking]

Oh, Mara. If you only knew why Luke needs to confront his past head-on
    It would put things into perspecive for sure... I still haven't figured out h

12. kataja

May 4, 2007
    :D blank

Ooh, great big huge plot developments this week!
    Well, that had to happen at some point didn't it? o_O :p

-----?wasn?t it typical that of all the several thousand crew members of Home One she kept running into Skywalker? If it was the Force at play, it certainly gave her plenty of opportunities to kill him!

Or indeed, quite the opposite
    ?
    Tee-hee! :p

-----?Is that what you call it? You were floating, do you know that? I mean, if you don?t want to fuel every single prejudice people have about the Jedi, then perhaps you should stay dirtside. Sitting cross legged at your age is weird enough as it is. Why don?t you keep to your cabin when you have to meditate??
    -----His eyes widened at her salvo?

He wasn?t alone! Wow, that was harsh
    !
    But who but Mara would say such a things straight to his face? Maybe it's good for him?[face_mischief]

-----?What?s the use of those precious Jedi skills unless you use them once in a while? You can tell whether people lie, can?t you??
    -----Though clearly uncomfortable, he didn?t flinch. ?I can.?
    -----?Well, then do it,? she challenged. ?I don?t care...?

Oh, there?s nothing like a little frisson of danger to add a whole extra dimension to flirting

[face_devil] Exactly! And I'm not even using the Dark Side! O:)

-----He took a few slow breaths, eyes fixed on the floor as he reached out to the Force, then looked up and straight at her. Blue eyes pierced through her and suddenly they weren?t mild but unshakable and powerful, so powerful they forced Mara to brace herself in order to hold her ground. In a blazing instant, their roles reversed. She was no longer pushing him but being challenged to her uttermost. He was no longer the over-polite, self-effacing farmboy but a compelling master, an overpowering iron mind, the change having taken place in seconds.

I really liked this; that he?s completely different in this aspect. Nice touch

Glad you liked. I just read about one and two and three-dimensional characters in Making of ESB - I think this exactly is what makes these characetrs interesting - that they have so much more in them than can be seen at first glance. And I think, especially in Luke's (Mark Hamill's) case it was there right form the beginning!

Luke and Shira?

LOL! Why is everybody barfing? C?mon, give the boy a break ? a fling will do him good! Granted, this one?s gonna end in tears, big-time, but still, it?s not like it?s Palpatine
    !
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] Thought so myself. ;)

Interesting though. Apart from anything else, with Luke?s loyalties so strong, he?d find it hard to even consider Shira as the arsonist now? Good timing on her part; I think even if anything does come up, he may actually be in the odd position of defending her And clearly the moment he steps back, she?s gonna act all broken-hearted and have half the crew thinking what a barve he is
    So well spotted of you... ;) Yes, Luke will defend a girl friend - even if he's not deeply in love with her - such is his loyalty...[face_batting]

-----A memory flashed through Luke?s mind; Deena, eyes shining, voice confident, ?I?m safe to play with?, and only a few weeks later, the long painful wait at the medbay, when he?d been preparing himself to take the responsibility it really had gone wrong. He straightened, pulled back. ?Then we can?t Shira, sorry??

Sensible boy ? I?m proud of him
    !
    Me too! [face_batting] Remember too, that he's been sensible ever since that Deena mess. He learned a lesson there. Unless his uncle printed it deep in him already back on Tatooine.

-----He was interrupted by the hiss of the slide doors. Luke Skywalker tumbled in, his fatigues still open at the neck, hair untidy and cheeks turning a fascinating sunburn-red as everybody turned their eyes towards him.

Oh, you are so cruel
    ?
    LOL, I imagine that when Luke loses grip he

13. kataja

May 4, 2007
    Quagmire ? Chapter 17

Revelations

Mara was on her way to the medbay when she sensed a familiar presence closing in. She cursed silently to herself. Was there not one solitary cubic centimeter on this ship where she could be in peace from that bloody Jedi? He might be her target, but did he have to plaster himself on her? He had, after all, 1,300 meters of ship where he could have his fling! Now he even had a girlfriend he could cuddle up with ? oh, yes, she had heard the rumors - couldn?t he spend some time with her instead?

Just at the entrance to the medbay he caught up with her and flinched at the sight of her. That prompted a wicked grin from Mara despite her annoyance. So, Skywalker was as antsy to see her as she was nettled about meeting him? The thought made her mood a bit better, though she was well aware it shouldn?t; from a professional angle she should do all she could to make him comfortable in her company. Their last clash fresh in mind, however, she couldn?t summon much professionalism. Let the Jedi stay at a distance for a while! Besides, her dear colleague surely had the situation in control. Mara fully intended to relax and bury her head inside the B-wings until she finally got orders out of here.

True to form, Skywalker suppressed his reaction instantly and came towards her with well-faked calm. Mara had plenty of chance to study him as he approached.

Oh, he had gotten laid all right! Why was that possible tell just from one look at a man? Not that Skywalker looked cocky ? Mara doubted he knew how ? but there was a vigor and vitality to his movement even despite his dismay to see her, an easiness in the way his head ranked up on his shoulders that spoke its own language. That explained why he hadn?t sensed her sooner ? he?d been preoccupied with his own thoughts ? and also why she hadn?t seen him for a few days.

She could hardly have avoided the rumors as the ship was practically boiling with them, but she?d paid closer attention to the reception of the news. Most people seemed to think it was about time that Skywalker and Brie hooked up. Once again, Luke Skywalker was slipping smoothly into the golden boy role, however this time more as a match for the golden girl it seemed. It irked Mara to no end that Brie had gotten her way and claimed her trophy. Mara wished the woman into a black hole.

?Hello Mara. Were you going to see Deena or??? Skywalker?s tone was weary, perfectly neutral expression notwithstanding. That suited Mara just fine. Let him tiptoe on that knife-edge a bit.

?I am going to see Deena,? she corrected him dryly. ?How nice you?ve managed to find time to do the same. She?ll be delighted, I?m sure.? She turned on her heels and entered the medbay, the stunned and not at all reassured Jedi at her tail.

Of course, Deena was delighted. She beamed first towards Mara, then with redoubled brilliance towards Skywalker as he came padding in behind her.

?How are you doing Dee?? He stooped down to give her a hug, while Mara settled on the foot end of the bed. ?You look great.?

?You think so?? Deena chirped. ?I?m beginning to feel that way even though it has taken it?s time and I can?t tell you how relieved I am about it. When I first woke up after that fire I thought I?d never get rid of that terrible headache - and that was for all they had stuffed me so full of painkillers and drugs that I could have contaminated the food supply just by walking by. But it?s better now.?

Skywalker smiled warmly as if Deena?s familiar word stream sounded like music to him. Maybe it did; he?d been close to losing her entirely. He turned to smile at her too, his misgivings fading against Deena?s vivacity, but Mara was in no mood to be softened; she just tilted her head, her eyes glinting.

?Isn?t it sweet of Luke to come by?? she launched, lacing her voice with sarcasm. ?He?s very occupied these days so I think we should recognize that you?re shown a very special honor here.?

Skywalker straightened, obviously stung by her words but maybe even

14. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    I agree with Mara about allegiances and one's own choices [face_thinking]

Ah! So Deena's teeth grind at Shira too :p o_O

And I didn't miss (of course not!) that Mara picked up that Luke's trying a bit too hard to feel like he and Shira getting together is "great"! [face_laugh] And she sure did throw a wrench into the works there about attachments etc. LOL

15. Piper057

Nov 26, 2009
    I love Chewie! [:D]It's time someone organized a club of those who don't like Shira... or her smell. :DShe is really starting to get on my nerves.[face_skull]And Luke... if he feels that this relationship won't work - he feels it! [face_devil]- why is he... Oh, never mind. He is a Skywalker.

That's Mara we all know and love! =D=

Hmmm. It will be interesting if she finds out...

16. JediMara77

Mar 5, 2004
    Wow, that was a fantastic chapter! So much going on...

Loved that Deena is also wary of Shira, and that Deena looks up to Mara so much.

I loved the discussion on attachments, of course. ;)

Shira + Mara = fireworks! And I thought Luke and Mara had explosive arguments!

Loved seeing Mara in full-on Emperor's Hand mode, but with still all her dignity and principles intact. (Aaaah I really can't wait for Choices of One and this fic isn't helping at all! :D ) So is she REALLY going to tell Palpy about Yoda? Part of me hopes that she does...I always thought that another Yoda/Emperor battle would be quite the show! ;)

Loved the scene at the end! General Solo...heh. :D

Fantastic work, kataja, can't wait for more! How long is part 1, by the way?

17. kataja

May 4, 2007

Quick note to short question:
    I count 36 chapters at the mo *phew* - and I think that's realistic too.

18. Valiowk

Valiowk Chosen One star 6

Apr 23, 2000
    Well, I'm certainly not convinced by Luke's words! ;)

Great introduction of the part of the Jedi code forbidding attachments here. It'll be interesting to see how Luke rationalises everything out over the next few months... [face_worried]

Oh, Mara. One day, she will realise that while she wasn't the best possible friend to Deena at this time, she was nevertheless a loyal friend. But I guess the day when Mara and Deena can look back on this time with full knowledge of Mara's current role is still quite far away...

Love the way you so aptly summarise why the Light triumphs over the Dark Side here. It'll be a long journey for Mara still, but at least she's beginning to get an idea of what it is she really wants in life.

I can't help but wonder if the information will actually get to Palpatine... [face_rolleyes]

Hehe, Chewie definitely has a good eye for who's trustworthy and who isn't. :D

General Solo! I can just imagine what a whoop of joy that must have been! [face_laugh]

Great chapter!

Happy New Year! [face_dancing]

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  19. blank101

Nov 20, 2008
    [face_dancing]Happy New Year Kataja![face_dancing] (again!)

-----Oh, he had gotten laid all right!

LOL! [face_laugh] Can you say that on TF.N?! [face_blush] :p

-----Deena tugged at Mara?s sleeve. ?You say it. It sounds much more impressive when you say it.?

That just really made me laugh! :D

-----Mara scowled at her. ?Look, I just said? Oh, never mind! I just said that you don?t owe your parents.? She made a face and glanced back at Skywalker who stared at her, an expression of complete disbelief to his face.
    -----?What are you saying? That children should renounce their parents?? Fore some reason he seemed even more disturbed by this than by her earlier claim.
    -----Mara lifted her chin. ?I never said that. But who you are is a matter of your own choice, not something you should design according to the claims of others, blood ties or not.?
    -----?And what about allegiances? Do you disown them too??

Heh, far-reaching words, though Mara doesn?t know it [face_thinking]

-----?Then I have another interesting morsel for you to pass on. Luke Skywalker will arrive on a mission to the fifth planet in the Thenax-system in seven days? time. I will be on that mission as well and if my plan succeeds, he will never return to the Rebellion again. We won?t have much time to move so I want preparations to be made and the local authorities to await my signal. The code is Lizard Alert. I?d get in a proper good-bye wave if I was you.?

Aha! o_O....Uh-oh :eek:

-----For the first time in months Luke faced his primal fear: Darth Vader ? Anakin Skywalker? Could they be the same person?? What would the consequences be?

Excellent! Like the fact that it?s taken him so long to actually come round to this?to the point that he has to basically talk himself into it, even now.

-----What if? the choice was not only Luke?s, but Vader?s to make too?

Ooh, nice way to phrase that question =D=

Great to see Mara?s mind working overtime as Emperor?s Hand too, when she was searching for clues as to Luke?s password and going through his files. And now she knows about Yoda! :eek: All the big plot points pulling together now. This is definitely getting addictive! [face_peace]

20. kataja

May 4, 2007
    Happy New Year everybody![:D] [:D] [:D]

Jade_eyes

I agree with Mara about allegiances and one's own choices
    She?s a smart girl with basically sound values ? which is absolutely amazing in itself! [face_plain]

Ah! So Deena's teeth grind at Shira too
    Oh yes?;) Deena's smarter than she thinks herself!

And I didn't miss (of course not!) that Mara picked up that Luke's trying a bit too hard to feel like he and Shira getting together is "great"!
    The only one who missed it was probably Luke? o_O

And she sure did throw a wrench into the works there about attachments etc. LOL
    She defintely did. But now Luke knows about it, how will he react on it?:eek:

Piper057
    kataja posted: Chewie growled something and Han looked up. ?What do you mean you?ve never liked her smell? Hey?!?
    I love Chewie! It's time someone organized a club of those who don't like Shira... or her smell. She is really starting to get on my nerves. And Luke... if he feels that this relationship won't work - he feels it! - why is he... Oh, never mind. He is a Skywalker.

I?m afraid he is.:p He probably should have talked to Chewie on an earlier point.

kataja posted: Unconsciously, she lifted her chin at the challenge, her eyes catching a dangerous glint. So what? Let Brie think she had the market cornered on Skywalker! There was more than one way to skin a bantha, and Mara was prepared to bet the Emperor?s favourite throne that her way was faster, neater, and slicker. High time she proved it.
    That's Mara we all know and love!
    Aww, thanks! :D

kataja posted: Darth Vader? Why in Kessel had Skywalker discussed his father with Darth Vader? ?Turned to the Dark Side? she read aloud. Had Darth Vader told Skywalker that his father had turned to the Dark Side? To a Sith? But she had just read??killed by Darth Vader? ? source: Kenobi.
    Hmmm. It will be interesting if she finds out
    [face_whistling]

JediMara77
    Wow, that was a fantastic chapter! So much going on...
    LOL I hope I bring all of it to satisfying conclusions. At least my table is full of yellow post-its8-}

Loved that Deena is also wary of Shira, and that Deena looks up to Mara so much.
    Deenas? so much smarter than she thinks herself. And she learns from her new friend. And -Mara learns from her?[face_mischief]

I loved the discussion on attachments, of course.
    Heh heh [face_devil]

Shira + Mara = fireworks! And I thought Luke and Mara had explosive arguments!
    Aww, thank you! I think I have finally figured Shira out, but it took me long time!

Loved seeing Mara in full-on Emperor's Hand mode, but with still all her dignity and principles intact. (Aaaah I really can't wait for Choices of One and this fic isn't helping at all! ) So is she REALLY going to tell Palpy about Yoda? Part of me hopes that she does...I always thought that another Yoda/Emperor battle would be quite the show!
    [face_whistling]

Loved the scene at the end! General Solo...heh.
    Thanks! It was a late addition but it popped out almost ready out of my head in ½ an hour. :)

Valiowk
    kataja posted: ?Yeah, well, I guess I?ve been fooling around long enough. It was time to make a decision,? he replied rather defensively. ?And I really think this will work out great??

To Mara it sounded like he was anything but convinced, but probably he believed his own words.
    Well, I'm certainly not convinced by Luke's words
    !
    Neither am I. Does it shine though?:eek:

Great introduction of the part of the Jedi code forbidding attachments here. It'll be interesting to see how Luke rationalises everything out over the next few months...
    Question is, is he actually rationalizing too much already? Isn?t that how he?s ended in this situation? [face_thinking] But thanks!

kataja posted: Mara opened her mouth t

21. kataja

May 4, 2007
    Quagmire - chapter 18

Vixens

Mara had been looking forward to reporting to her Master, but it wasn?t going at all as she?d planned. The Emperor?s cold disapproval chilled her to the bone. ?I know what Vader and Skywalker were discussing, my Hand. Vader answers to me ? as do you. I told you to remain in reserve behind the scenes. Instead you risk everything to gain information that is insignificant at best. I begin to wonder whether the responsibility of this assignment exceeds your capacity for judgment.?

Stubbornly Mara clung to her resolve. She really had learned something of importance; she just had to convince her Master of that fact. ?Master, I?m pretty sure that Skywalker has had more than one teacher in the Force. The files revealed that he?s also been discussing Jedi matters with someone else as well. ?Master Yoda? was also mentioned, and several times at that. His name occurred as frequently as Kenobi?s.?

For a moment, her Master?s annoyance seemed to melt away as he imbibed this new information. ?Master Yoda??

?Yes Master. He was listed several times as first hand source ? and all the files were dated after the battle of Hoth.?

?Indeed? And you have obtained information indicating his current location??

And that was, of course, the big flaw in this her offensive. ?No, Master. I?m sorry.?

?I have known for decades this Jedi survived the Purge,? the Emperor dismissed impatiently. ?Get me the location where he is skulking and that will please me.?

?Yes, Master. But if we can conclude that Skywalker visited Master Yoda after he left Hoth, before he came to Bespin, I can attempt to find and examine the ship he used on that trip. It was an X-wing starfighter, and if it could be located??

Her Master?s voice was like a chilling breath down her back. ?That was done months ago, my Hand. The log of that ship was wiped by Skywalker before he landed on Bespin.?

Mara swallowed hard. There had to be something! Skywalker couldn?t have wiped every record of the journey from ? wiped! Yes! ?Have any of Intel?s agents had an opportunity to examine his astromech unit??

?His droid? Explain.?

?Master, Skywalker keeps his droid in high regard. He has never wiped its memory, or so I?ve been told anyway. And as he uses the same droid every time, it is a logical extrapolation that it accompanied him on that trip too.?

The Emperor was quiet a long time, mulling over this possibility with evident interest. Still, Mara could sense quite clearly that he was still displeased with her and she braced herself for what would come.

?Very well, my Hand. Forward the task to Agent Brie. Being close to Skywalker as she is now, she will have the best opportunities to get to his droid as well.?

?But, Master
    ?? Her heart cried out, no matter how much she tried to restrain herself.

?Or do you perhaps suspect agent Brie is no longer loyal to us??

For a second Mara wavered, the temptation formidable, overpowering? ?She is loyal to you, Master,? she admitted reluctantly, her honesty prevailing. ?Her attachment to Skywalker is, as far as I can judge, not of deeper character.?

?Good. If Agent Brie fails, you will be the next in line to Skywalker, but you will act on my command, not on your judgement. I sense that judgment is not as clear as it has been, my Hand. Have care??

Mara felt her throat strangle, all too clearly remembering her imbecile, rash invitation for Skywalker to read her mind ? a detail she wisely had omitted from this report. ?Yes, Master. I?m sorry.?

?Very well...
    ? He fell silent again. ?Skywalker will come to me. Yeess?I have foreseen it. And he will turn to our side. We will turn this to our advantage.?

His voice in her mind softened a bit. ?You are at loss, child, but fear not. Soon we will speak again, face to face. For now, you must remain strong. Keep your faith.?

?Yes, Master
    .?

She managed to keep her f

22. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Woohoo!!! Mara stole the show and that's not all! Think she "stole" Luke too. :D :D

Yowza!

Go kataja! You just go!!

:*

[:D]

[face_dancing]

23. whateveritis12

whateveritis12 Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 29, 2008
    Nice play on words there at the end, I see what you did there.

24. Piper057

Nov 26, 2009
    Finally, I'm here - Darth Real Life is killing me these days, I've never felt so tired... Or maybe, I'm just getting older. :D

Yes! Mostly, writers don't bother with Lando and write about the guy with "smart, self-assured mien". He is much more than that.

Indeed, they are![face_dancing] Just like many other men I work with - they don't even try to look adult. Those males...*here Piper rolls her eyes*
    I love their protectiveness about Luke. :)

Wonderful passage!

They both don't behave like professionals here. Shira forgets that being mean to others isn't a best a way to keep Luke close while Mara... well, she changes gradually.
    And maybe not as a spy but as a woman she definitely won this battle because

=D=

25. blank101

Nov 20, 2008

Lando bounced his eyebrows

is a great description over over-exuberance :p

And on that topic ? I hear that you?ve caught a fox!?
    Luke blushed again. ?Uh, well?? He fidgeted with his caf, at loss for words. Everybody seemed so genuinely pleased on his behalf. Rather more than he was himself, in fact.

Hee! :D =D=

Lando snorted into his cup and Luke couldn?t help a crooked smile. He rubbed his head in embarrassment, but knew Lando had heard worse ? hell, had probably done worse.

Nice summing up of Lando there [face_peace]

Great to see Luke starting to realize a few things about Shira. When you?re that close to somebody, it would be very hard to maintain any charade, and Shira?s is cracking just slightly now.

Great to see the competition hotting up between Jade and Shira too. Mara?s refusal to be intimidated, and the lengths she went to, to prove that fact were fun and edgy. I loved that whole section. And again, Shira?s letting the cracks show a little, isn?t she? A few too many snide remarks, I think. [face_thinking]

To tell the truth, right now she didn?t care whether Jade was a professional dancer or even a spy for the Emperor himself.
    She had just made her day.

LOL! Great finishing lines! =D= [face_peace]