main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Queen's Hope - New Padmé novel from EK Johnston

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Todd the Jedi , Feb 18, 2021.

1. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Excited for this. Hoping it is more on par with Queen’s Shadow than Queen’s Peril which I had some more pacing and structural issues with. It is awesome to see Padme getting so much focus and exploration in the New Canon as to me she was one of the more neglected characters of the EU era.

2. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    As long as I never see Anakin written again how he was in the Season 6 Clovis arc, that shouldn't be hard to avoid....I hope.

3. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    Have you read Thrawn Alliances? I find that WORSE than Clovis arc.

EmperorHorus and Deliveranze like this.
  4. Deliveranze

Nov 28, 2015
    Really? No, I haven't. How come ya find it worse?

5. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Personally, I really like how Anakin was written in the Clovis episodes. I mean, this is a guy that maybe a year later commits genocide and helps usher in a new government that goes on to commit many genocides, just because he's in love with Padme. You don't think he'd beat some guy up? Anakin was a ticking time bomb waiting to explode. TCW was right in showing that once in a while.

The most negative thing I can think of Anakin's depiction in Thrawn: Alliances is that Thrawn is smarter than Anakin, and when Thrawn does that thing he does with everyone where instead of explaining something outright he prompts the other person to attempt to understand it themselves, Anakin just sees it as Thrawn being a condescending jerk. He also keeps up the pretense that he and Padme are just a Jedi and a Senator that are in no way in a romantic relationship, even with a stranger from the Unknown Regions who doesn't know anyone who would care, which seems ridiculous, but again, that big secret weighing on him is also a big part of what turned him to the dark side.

I don't like the view of Anakin that he was the perfect moral action hero and then just snapped one day and instantly became Darth Vader. If he did snap one day, that was the day his mom died and he killed the entire Tusken village. But even before that in AOTC he was being weird and emotional and espousing pro-authoritarian political beliefs.

6. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    Because Zahn makes Anakin a dumb thug who can only kill and cause problems. And Padme is scared of him.

Thrawn IS a condescending jerk.

But that isn't my issue, this is a Zahn book, so thrawn will be treated as a genius.

My issue is that Padme is scared of Anakin. As well as making Anakin a dumb thug.

Zahn is playing the outcome the event. He knows Anakin will kill lots of people and Padme so that is what he is writing towards that by making Anakin think with his lightsaber and Padme fear from him.

But he misses the tragedy. Anakin is smart and cunning. While he can panic under emotional stress it isn't he default. Padme NEVER thought Anakin would hurt her, that is why she went to him. It never occurred to her that he could hurt her, she had no fear and all faith in him.

Anakin isn't a perfect person, but he isn't just waiting to turn dark and kill people. He is someone who wants to do good, but is flawed.

But E.K. just doesn't seem to even LIKE romance at all. Since no one has any romance in her books, in Shadow one of the handmaidens rejects a romance and the only romance in peril, was the girl who liked sabe and Padme couldn't explain who she was to her.

I really didn't like how she wrote the relationship between clovis and padme. They could have dated for a while before he crossed a line or something, but they didn't he just had a crush and she didn't like him (then he assaults her).

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
  7. Deliveranze

Nov 28, 2015
    Oh no. I don't have an issue with Anakin beating up Clovis, that's entirely in character (though TCW depicting Anakin more as a stereotypical action hero compared to the multimedia project does make that change in that arc more jarring imo).

My issue was bringing domestic abuse undertones to Anakin's character pre-Mustafar. Just adds an unnecessary ugly component to Anakin's sympathetic Achilles heel which is his love for his family.

8. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I loved Anakin beating up Clovis, because Clovis is creepy and annoying (also why I liked that he was never in a real relationship with Padme). I never liked Padme’s behavior around Clovis though. Don’t go to the ****ing opera and pretend it’s a work meeting. Not that I think she intended anything romantic but it was still a dumb move.

That said, I never liked any domestic abuse undertones in any pre-ROTS material. I prefer that Padme is the one person that Anakin would never hurt, and the moment he is willing to hurt her is when we knew he was 100 percent fully gone. (Also why I never liked the younglings scene in ROTS.)

9. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    I hope the inspiration for Anakin's character portrayal in Queen's Hope is his depiction in the first half of ROTS before he falls to the Dark Side. The scene where Padme tells Anakin she is pregnant is especially good for inspiration I think.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More scenes depicting Anakin/Padme in that sort of light would be a welcome addition to the New Canon!

10. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    And I think these are both "playing the outcome".

Since we KNOW Anakin will kill or try to kill Padme people write him like that is where he is leading and not out of character.

On Clovis x Padme, yeah he was bad. But I don't think he had to be in the past, he could have been a good or at least decent person, who changed.

11. EmperorHorus

EmperorHorus Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2016
    Yes, having read it recently this really annoyed me. Anakin was simply characterised as an idiot.
    nothing wrong with that. I don't read these books for romance.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
    wobbits and AusStig like this.
  12. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    Indeed. But I do wonder how she will portray the marriage. Or even if Anakin will feature at all.

E.K. might not even have him in the book.

I like shipping so I don't mind a bit of romance haha.

13. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    I think the problem is, being married to Anakin at this point is a huge part of Padme’s life, especially given how taboo it is in-universe. It’d be weird if that aspect of her life was completely omitted.

14. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    She can think about it, but she does have a life outside of him. Remember the TCW episodes with the debate about government spending. I don't think Anakin was in those eps much if at all.

15. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    I’m not suggesting the marriage should be the primary topic and focus of the book, but to omit that aspect of Padme’s life completely would strike me as weird and disingenuous.

wobbits and AusStig like this.
  16. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    True. It is a possibility though, given E.K. doesn't like romance or Anakin (seemingly), so it might be the least worst option.

17. Deliveranze

Nov 28, 2015
    Forgive me, I'm not well as in-tune with SW lit these days, but why is it assumed E.K. doesn't like Anakin? Did she talk about it in a interview or imply it?

18. Daneira

Jun 30, 2016
    The relevant Anakin material from EK’s interview, which it seems most people here haven’t read:

https://www.starwars.com/news/queens-hope-exclusive-reveal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Feb 24, 2021
  19. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    That reads like I am really going to like the way she writes him and makes me look forward to it more. Fun Anakin is the best Anakin, and it does look like she’s going to write them in the happier part of their marriage.

She’s not wrong about everything he touches going badly though, unfortunately. But it looks like she wants to avoid that in this book as much as possible.

20. Daneira

Jun 30, 2016
    Also, I don't know where the "EK doesn't like romance" thing is coming from - I haven't heard her non-SW books but just from being familiar with their plot descriptions I'd say a lot of them are very romance-heavy, notably The Afterward.

21. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    I'd say it's more a feeling that she doesn't like putting Padmé into relationships with toxic men, or at least writing them. She avoided her relationship with Clovis entirely in Shadow, and based on that quote the Anakin stuff might just be a "small sliver" of the actual story.

22. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    That makes sense. She likes good romance.

AusStig and Daneira like this.
  23. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    A large part of the second book was taken up by 1) the war and 2) Panaka's recruiting, so there really was no place for a bunch of romance. And even then, there was some, just not with Padme (for instance, the Panakas).

I think a stronger point can be made that EK Johnston doesn't like Ric Olie, rather than Anakin or romance. It think Ric was mentioned a total of 2 times across both novels so far. Once just quoting his TPM line, the other as a comment by another character that he has an inner ear problem and can't fly. In other words, she grounded him offscreen. I think if we asked Ric his opinions about this, he'd be disappointed because he was grounded offscreen.

24. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    We are overdue for the Ric Olié Renaissance.

25. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    Thanks, what I read ended after the first sentence.

As to the no romance, well that is just the impression I got, from Shadow. It wasn't just nothing between Clovis and Padme, but it was also when one of the Handmaidens rejected point blank the possibility of romance with the Naboo guard.
    It didn't bother me in Peril. Though I did find it odd Padme didn't just explain who she was to Sabe's wanna be gf.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.