main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Rank the novels of the new canon

Discussion in 'Literature' started by ScorpionJedi, Jan 7, 2016.

1. VexedAtVohai

VexedAtVohai Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 4, 2020
    My list tends to be biased towards those I've read more recently, but the ones at the bottom of the list and those at the top will probably stay there for a long while.
    1. Victory's Price
    2. Shadow Fall
    3. Lost Stars
    4. Alphabet Squadron
    5. Light of the Jedi
    6. The Rising Storm
    7. Catalyst
    8. Bloodline
    9. Rebel Rising
    10. Leia: Princess of Alderaan
    11. Dooku: Jedi Lost
    12. Master and Apprentice
    13. Resistance Reborn
    14. Into the Dark
    15. Last Shot
    16. Tarkin
    17. Thrawn: Treason
    18. Thrawn
    19. Phasma
    20. Most Wanted
    21. Twilight Company
    22. Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
    23. Aftermath: Empire's End
    24. Inferno Squad
    25. Aftermath
    26. Thrawn: Alliances
    27. Dark Disciple
    28. A New Dawn
    29. Aftermath: Life Debt
    30. Ahsoka
    31. Galaxy's Edge: Black Spire

2. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Been a hot minute since I've posted my rankings, and I've done a lot of catchup the past year, especially with MG/JR books.

Must Reads
    Lost Stars
    Into the Dark
    Adventures in Wild Space: The Rescue

The Last Jedi
    Canto Bight*
    -The Ride
    -Rules of the Game
    -Hear Nothing, See Nothing, Say Nothing
    -The Wine in Dreams
    Rebel Rising
    Adventures in Wild Space: The Heist
    Bloodline
    Servants of the Empire: Imperial Justice
    Moving Target

Really Good
    Phasma
    Black Spire
    Leia, Princess of Alderaan
    Alphabet Squadron
    Twilight Company
    Queen’s Shadow
    Solo
    Most Wanted
    Master & Apprentice
    Light of the Jedi
    Adventures in Wild Space: The Darkness

A Crash of Fate
    Rogue One
    Shadow Fall
    A New Dawn
    Aftermath
    Servants of the Empire: Rebel In the Ranks
    The Rise of Skywalker
    Thrawn
    The Weapon of a Jedi
    Ahsoka
    Adventures in Wild Space: The Snare
    Catalyst
    Resistance Reborn
    Race to Crashpoint Tower
    Servants of the Empire: The Secret Academy
    Adventures in Wild Space: The Cold
    Ezra’s Gamble

Aftermath: Empire’s End
    Guardians of the Whills
    Thrawn: Alliances
    Out of the Shadows
    Adventures in Wild Space: The Nest

Pretty Good
    Smuggler’s Run
    Queen’s Peril
    Poe Dameron: Free Fall
    The Force Awakens
    Servants of the Empire: Edge of the Galaxy
    Thrawn Ascendancy: Chaos Rising

Aftermath: Life Debt
    Force Collector
    A Test of Courage
    Lords of the Sith
    Inferno Squad
    Dark Disciple
    Thrawn: Treason
    Before the Awakening*
    -Rey
    -Finn
    -Poe
    Spark of the Resistance

Decent Enough
    Tarkin
    Last Shot
    Heir to the Jedi
    Cobalt Squadron

Chrissonofpear2 likes this.
  3. Xander Vos

Xander Vos Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2013
    Update:

1. Bloodline - This felt a lot like the old EU in a really good way. Really loved the story and pacing.
    2. Light of the Jedi - Really loved this book, a great start to a new era full of storytelling potential.
    3. Catalyst - Luceno is a great storyteller and really dug into the detail to give a great backstory to Rogue 1.
    4. Inferno Squad - Surprised myself with how much I loved this book, really awesome plot with compelling characters.
    5. Lords of the Sith - Great action and pacing, another that felt like the old EU.
    6. Greater Good - Felt like a classic SW/Zahn novel with a great mystery woven through the book that culminated in a compelling climax to the book. Really enjoying this trilogy so far.
    7. Thrawn: Treason - Really enjoyed this. Easily the best Thrawn book we've had in the new canon. Very engaging story and flowed well.
    8. Tarkin - Again a big fan of Luceno's storytelling.
    9. A New Dawn - Good interesting story that I enjoyed more than I expected.
    10. Master and Apprentice - Grey's got a great grasp on Star Wars.
    11. Chaos Rising - Really enjoyed this fresh look into a corner of the SW Galaxy we haven't seen before, read more as a fantasy book than pure SW which was great.
    12. Black Spire - Enjoyed this more than I expected, really felt the KOTOR influences (I presume) on this with the side missions and use of weapons and items feeling like a vibe. The conclusion wasn't as strong as I would have hoped.
    13. Solo: A Star Wars Story - Really enjoyed this, easily the most of all the film novelisations. Lafferty does really well to capture the humour of the movie and expands on the story in a really compelling way.
    14. Alliances - Preferred this to the first Thrawn novel but not by much.
    15. From A Certain Point of View: ESB - Enjoyed more than the first one, some really brilliant stories
    16. Thrawn
    17. The Rising Storm - I actually had high hopes for this and that might be why it ends up so low because I was so disappointed with it. I found the writing style hugely simplistic, and an 'incident' that should have been 4-5 chapters of the book with plenty of build up and fall out ended up taking more than half the book purely due to the large cast of characters employed. There was only so many chapters of near misses and struggles I could cope with.
    18. From A Certain Point of View - great fun stories.
    19. Rogue One - Good retelling of the movie from Freed.
    20. Resistance Reborn - Good original characters, compelling plot, movie characters tread water.
    21. Victory's Price - Certainly flowed the best of the three, but still found that Freed's style is a bit too dense for me to really enjoy.
    22. Twilight Company - Good book but felt very dense.
    23. Last Shot - Good story but felt a bit clumsily told.
    24. Empire's End - Good conclusion to the trilogy but wasn't a fan of the trilogy as a whole.
    25. Shadow Fall - Lacking in plot depth, and padded out with similar characterisations.
    26. Alphabet Squadron - Another very dense book that was tough to get through, but when it got going it was quite good.
    27. The Last Jedi - Enjoyed this a lot more than the movie, Fry is a great writer.
    28. The Rise of Skywalker - This was ok, but didn't really improve my impression of the story. Which I suppose isn't Carson's fault, but she didn't add much to the narrative to improve it, and doubled-down in some ways.
    29. Life Debt - Eh it was ok but nothing special.
    30. Aftermath - Good characters but didn't like the writing style at all.
    31. The Force Awakens - Foster tries to make this way too hard Sci-Fi which is jarring.
    32. Dark Disciple - Just really did not like this at all. The writing style and the pacing of the story were all just way off base.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2021
    Xammer likes this.
  4. JABoomer

JABoomer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2009
    ADULT

Great (4/4)

1. Thrawn - everything I could ever want from a novel, a look behind the curtain of the Imperial military from the Grand Admiral himself
    2. Aftermath: Empire's End - solid ending to the trilogy, made the downfall of the Empire believable and added to the Emperor's mythos
    3. Last Shot - really fun story with Han and Lando, I liked how the story was woven together through the past and present
    4. Dooku: Jedi Lost - different format, which I didn't mind, the explanation of Dooku's dissatisfaction with the Jedi and his relationships within the temple were well told
    5. Master and Apprentice - don't typically enjoy the prequel era, everything about this book is solid: plot, characterization, writing; mystery, intrigue and storytelling

Good (3/4)

6. Tarkin - really enjoyed the internal politics of the Empire
    7. Thrawn Ascendancy: Chaos Rising - a bit slow at times, but I enjoyed exploring the Chiss government and military
    8. Thrawn: Treason - as good as you can get without being great, excellent story and writing while not quite a page turner
    9. Lords of the Sith - interesting to see the Vader/Palpatine interactions
    10. Black Spire - everything was very well done, nice to have a meaningful and fun story that doesn't have galaxy spanning consequences
    11. Doctor Aphra - a fun and light-hearted read, I enjoyed the first half more (scenes where I hadn't read the corresponding comics yet), definitely don't mind the format
    12. Aftermath: Life Debt - really enjoyed reading about the galactic powers struggle for dominance after Endor
    13. Solo: A Star Wars Story - I don't enjoy movie novels, this one was different, adding scenes and descriptions that gave characters more depth and motivation
    14. Alphbet Squadron: Victory's Price - Freed's clunky writing eventually gives way to interesting storylines, well described action, and a satisfying wrap to the trilogy
    15. From a Certain Point of View - really enjoyable, luckily the ones I didn't care for were the really short stories, some continuity mistakes towards the end of the book
    16. Battlefront II: Inferno Squad - solid book looking at the internal conflict the Empire creates within it's own ranks, fun to then watch cut-scenes from the game
    17. Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker - despite my dislike of TROS, this is a great movie adaptation, doesn't dwell on what we've seen and added lots of new content
    18. Resistance Reborn - Finn/Rey underused, Poe's arc varied too widely, poor scene setting, several times a character had then didn't have an object (jarring to read)

Okay (2/4)

19. Thrawn: Alliances - disappointed after loving Thrawn, found the writing choppy and confusing, had to re-read sections, still Thrawn and Vader are bad ass
    20. Catalyst - slow and plodding story, but one that kept moving forward despite few action sequences, I enjoyed looking into the workings of the early Empire
    21. Phasma - enjoyable and unexpected backstory that provides good depth to a character poorly utilized in the films
    22. Bloodline - good mix of action and politics, but it was difficult to see how useless the NEU New Republic is
    23. Dark Disciple - never knew where the story was going, was a really nice surprise
    24. Aftermath - different style of novel, but the content was interesting
    25. Light of the Jedi - great writing and a decent story, hard to care much about all the new characters
    26. Battlefront: Twilight Company - solid action, never enthralling, enjoyed exploring the Rebellion during this time
    27. Alphabet Squadron - Clunky writing, mediocre story and characters, and the differences between the starfighter types wasn't fully taken advantage of
    28. Canto Bight - first two stories were hard to get through (had to really concentrate to read Mira Grant's writing), last two were good, especially The Ride
    29. Rogue One: A Star Wars Story - better adaptation than TFA, but still didn't add a whole lot to the movie itself, found Jyn's motives to be confusing at times

Bad (1/4)

30. FACPOV: The Empire Strikes Back - disappointing, besides a few gems the stories are implausible/tangential to TESB, adding little to the mythos of what's on-screen
    31. Alphbet Squadron: Shadow Fall - a chore to read, the overall story was okay, but my brain doesn't READ the way Freed WRITES
    32. Heir to the Jedi - the first person viewpoint was different (and not in a good way)
    33. A New Dawn - I see lots of people really enjoyed it, I found it to be dull
    34. The Last Jedi: The novel was better than the movie, but I still have serious problems with the story
    35. The Force Awakens - glossed over the best parts and didn't properly capture the funny moments from the film, and added little to the story

YOUNG ADULT

Great (4/4)

1. Ahsoka - tight and well paced story, wasn't expecting to enjoy it but the young adult novels excel, I read it in two days

Good (3/4)

2. Poe Dameron: Free Fall - very well written and engaging story, the ending was a little bit too rushed and felt forced trying to mesh with the tidbits from TROS
    3. Most Wanted - fun and enjoyable story that provided fantastic background to the main characters in Solo
    4. The High Republic: Into the Dark - a solid story, solidly written, Geode was quite the character
    5. Leia, Princess of Alderaan - good book, explores Leia's character and is spot on while doing so, surprised how old she was when she became involved in the Rebellion
    6. Out of the Shadows - well written, it got better throughout
    7. Rebel Rising - a good read about a tragic story/life
    8. A Crash of Fate - a harlequin Star Wars novel, character motivations and scene descriptions were shaky, but I found in engaging and enjoyable
    9. Lost Stars - I enjoyed how it intertwined throughout the OT
    10. Force Collector - it was good, not great, and at times you wondered where it was going, but the ending pulled it all together

Bad (1/4)

11. Queen's Peril - I didn't have a problem getting through it, but the plot was sleepy, taking you through mundane palace days until it rehashes Episode I
    12. Queen's Shadow - nothing happened, it read like a daily journal of Senator Amidala, no major consequences or overarching plot, too much talk about outfits haha

YOUNG READER

Great (4/4)

1. Myths & Fables - An unexpectedly great read, the stories were all short, sharp, well written and incredibly fun!
    2. Tales from a Galaxy Far, Far Away: Aliens - this collection contained a bunch of unique and entertaining stories, different situations from the usual Star Wars
    3. Moving Target: A Princess Leia Adventure - excellent writing and a compelling story, I fist pumped when I found out what the name of the stolen shuttle was
    4. Before the Awakening: a real surprise, the writing and action sequences were excellent, three wonderfully told stories
    5. Life Day Treasury - I read this during the Christmas break and really enjoyed it

Good (3/4)

6. The High Republic: A Test of Courage - I found the writing clunky at first, but it turned into a great story, one of the more well written of the junior novels
    7. Lando's Luck: an enjoyable story that really nails the Lando character is his early days with L3 and the Falcon
    8. The Clone Wars: Stories of Light and Dark - was well written, I would have preferred more new stories or at least more stories that added to what we see on screen
    9. The Mandalorian - a well written and concise telling of the story

Okay (2/4)

10. Smuggler's Run: A Han Solo & Chewbacca Adventure - a fun adventure with Han and Chewie, didn't wow me but the story was interesting enough
    11. Race to Crashpoint Tower - decent story but just a bit too much silliness mixed in
    12. Dark Legends - a few good stories but the rest were forgettable, disappointing after Myths & Fables, the serrated paper edges made it hard to turn the page
    13. Guardians of the Whills - story was slow and steady but with enough interest to keep my attention, good example of life under the thumb of the Empire
    14. Pirate's Price - Hondo's perspective was initially fun, but that faded as the book went along; the later stories seemed like an afterthought
    15. The Weapon of a Jedi: A Luke Skywalker Adventure - it was just okay, I found the story slow, lacking major sequences, and with minimal plot scope

Bad (1/4)

16. The Legends of Luke Skywalker: difficult to get interested in stories that may not be 'factual', especially when the first story is a tall tale
    17. Cobalt Squadron - this one was plodding and hard to get through, Rose learning to overcome her confidence issues doesn't make the best plot outline
    18. Spark of the Resistance - rushed writing, terrible dialogue, childish character interactions, the plight of the Resistance reminds me why I'm not fond of new Canon
    19. The Mighty Chewbacca in the Forest of Fear!: this one really felt like a children's book to me, both in story and the writing[/QUOTE]

Jedi Knight88 likes this.
  5. Jedi Knight88

Jedi Knight88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2018
    @JABoomer amazing list and I agree 100% with your list Defintley with Race to crashpoint tower

JABoomer likes this.
  6. Xander Vos

Aug 3, 2013
    [/QUOTE]

Finally someone else who feels the way I do about Alphabet Squadron! I thought I was alone. :D

JABoomer likes this.
  7. JABoomer

Oct 23, 2009
    Haha! The struggle is real.

Xander Vos likes this.
  8. JABoomer

Oct 23, 2009
    ADULT

Great (4/4)

1. Thrawn - everything I could ever want from a novel, a look behind the curtain of the Imperial military from the Grand Admiral himself
    2. Aftermath: Empire's End - solid ending to the trilogy, made the downfall of the Empire believable and added to the Emperor's mythos
    3. Last Shot - really fun story with Han and Lando, I liked how the story was woven together through the past and present
    4. The High Republic: The Rising Storm - got better and better throughout, first book where I actually cared about High Republic characters, very enjoyable
    5. Dooku: Jedi Lost - different format, which I didn't mind, the explanation of Dooku's dissatisfaction with the Jedi and his relationships within the temple were well told
    6. Master and Apprentice - don't typically enjoy the prequel era, everything about this book is solid: plot, characterization, writing; mystery, intrigue and storytelling

Good (3/4)

7. Tarkin - really enjoyed the internal politics of the Empire
    8. Thrawn Ascendancy: Chaos Rising - a bit slow at times, but I enjoyed exploring the Chiss government and military
    9. Thrawn: Treason - as good as you can get without being great, excellent story and writing while not quite a page turner
    10. Lords of the Sith - interesting to see the Vader/Palpatine interactions
    11. Thrawn Ascendancy: Greater Good - really well written and interesting story, but a slow burn, not a page turner, I found the ending abrupt
    12. Black Spire - everything was very well done, nice to have a meaningful and fun story that doesn't have galaxy spanning consequences
    13. Doctor Aphra - a fun and light-hearted read, I enjoyed the first half more (scenes where I hadn't read the corresponding comics yet), didn't mind the format
    14. Aftermath: Life Debt - really enjoyed reading about the galactic powers struggle for dominance after Endor
    15. Solo: A Star Wars Story - I don't enjoy movie novels, this one was different, adding scenes and descriptions that gave characters more depth and motivation
    16. Alphbet Squadron: Victory's Price - Freed's clunky writing eventually gives way to interesting storylines, well described action, and a satisfying wrap to the trilogy
    17. From a Certain Point of View - really enjoyable, luckily the ones I didn't care for were the really short stories, some continuity mistakes towards the end of the book
    18. Battlefront II: Inferno Squad - solid book looking at the internal conflict the Empire creates within it's own ranks, fun to then watch cut-scenes from the game
    19. Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker - despite my dislike of TROS, this is a great movie adaptation, doesn't dwell on what we've seen and added lots of new content
    20. Resistance Reborn - Finn/Rey underused, Poe's arc varied too widely, poor scene setting, several times a character had then didn't have an object (jarring to read)

Okay (2/4)

21. Thrawn: Alliances - disappointed after loving Thrawn, found the writing choppy and confusing, had to re-read sections, still Thrawn and Vader are bad ass
    22. Catalyst - slow and plodding story, but one that kept moving forward despite few action sequences, I enjoyed looking into the workings of the early Empire
    23. Phasma - enjoyable and unexpected backstory that provides good depth to a character poorly utilized in the films
    24. Bloodline - good mix of action and politics, but it was difficult to see how useless the NEU New Republic is
    25. Dark Disciple - never knew where the story was going, was a really nice surprise
    26. Aftermath - different style of novel, but the content was interesting
    27. Light of the Jedi - great writing and a decent story, hard to care much about all the new characters
    28. Battlefront: Twilight Company - solid action, never enthralling, enjoyed exploring the Rebellion during this time
    29. Alphabet Squadron - Clunky writing, mediocre story and characters, and the differences between the starfighter types wasn't fully taken advantage of
    30. Canto Bight - first two stories were hard to get through (had to really concentrate to read Mira Grant's writing), last two were good, especially The Ride
    31. Rogue One: A Star Wars Story - better adaptation than TFA, but still didn't add a whole lot to the movie itself, found Jyn's motives to be confusing at times

Bad (1/4)

32. FACPOV: The Empire Strikes Back - disappointing, besides a few gems the stories are implausible/tangential to TESB, adding little to the mythos of what's on-screen
    33. Alphbet Squadron: Shadow Fall - a chore to read, the overall story was okay, but my brain doesn't READ the way Freed WRITES
    34. Heir to the Jedi - the first person viewpoint was different (and not in a good way)
    35. A New Dawn - I see lots of people really enjoyed it, I found it to be dull
    36. The Last Jedi: The novel was better than the movie, but I still have serious problems with the story
    37. The Force Awakens - glossed over the best parts and didn't properly capture the funny moments from the film, and added little to the story

YOUNG ADULT

Great (4/4)

1. Ahsoka - tight and well paced story, wasn't expecting to enjoy it but I read it in two days
    2. The High Republic: Midnight Horizon - a very good read, highlighted the troubles and vulnerabilities of the Jedi, several LOL moments.

Good (3/4)

3. Poe Dameron: Free Fall - very well written and engaging story, the ending was a little bit too rushed and felt forced trying to mesh with the tidbits from TROS
    4. Most Wanted - fun and enjoyable story that provided fantastic background to the main characters in Solo
    5. The High Republic: Into the Dark - a solid story, solidly written, Geode was quite the character
    6. Leia, Princess of Alderaan - good book, explores Leia's character and is spot on while doing so, surprised how old she was when she became involved in the Rebellion
    7. Out of the Shadows - well written, it got better throughout
    8. Rebel Rising - a good read about a tragic story/life
    9. A Crash of Fate - a harlequin Star Wars novel, character motivations and scene descriptions were shaky, but I found in engaging and enjoyable
    10. Lost Stars - I enjoyed how it intertwined throughout the OT
    11. Force Collector - it was good, not great, and at times you wondered where it was going, but the ending pulled it all together

Bad (1/4)

12. Queen's Peril - I didn't have a problem getting through it, but the plot was sleepy, taking you through mundane palace days until it rehashes Episode I
    13. Queen's Shadow - nothing happened, it read like a daily journal of Senator Amidala, no major consequences or overarching plot, too much talk about outfits haha

YOUNG READER

Great (4/4)

1. Myths & Fables - An unexpectedly great read, the stories were all short, sharp, well written and incredibly fun!
    2. Tales from a Galaxy Far, Far Away: Aliens - this collection contained a bunch of unique and entertaining stories, different situations from the usual Star Wars
    3. Moving Target: A Princess Leia Adventure - excellent writing and a compelling story, I fist pumped when I found out what the name of the stolen shuttle was
    4. Before the Awakening: a real surprise, the writing and action sequences were excellent, three wonderfully told stories
    5. Life Day Treasury - I read this during the Christmas break and really enjoyed it

Good (3/4)

6. The High Republic: A Test of Courage - I found the writing clunky at first, but it turned into a great story, one of the more well written of the junior novels
    7. Lando's Luck: an enjoyable story that really nails the Lando character is his early days with L3 and the Falcon
    8. The Mandalorian: Season 2 - Glad I read it after only having watched season 2 once, as it still felt new
    9. The Clone Wars: Stories of Light and Dark - was well written, I would have preferred more new stories or at least more stories that added to what we see on screen
    10. The Mandalorian - a well written and concise telling of the story

Okay (2/4)

11. Smuggler's Run: A Han Solo & Chewbacca Adventure - a fun adventure with Han and Chewie, didn't wow me but the story was interesting enough
    12. Race to Crashpoint Tower - decent story but just a bit too much silliness mixed in
    13. Dark Legends - a few good stories but the rest were forgettable, disappointing after Myths & Fables, the serrated paper edges made it hard to turn the page
    14. Guardians of the Whills - story was slow and steady but with enough interest to keep my attention, good example of life under the thumb of the Empire
    15. Pirate's Price - Hondo's perspective was initially fun, but that faded as the book went along; the later stories seemed like an afterthought
    16. The Weapon of a Jedi: A Luke Skywalker Adventure - it was just okay, I found the story slow, lacking major sequences, and with minimal plot scope

Bad (1/4)

17. The Legends of Luke Skywalker: difficult to get interested in stories that may not be 'factual', especially when the first story is a tall tale
    18. Cobalt Squadron - this one was plodding and hard to get through, Rose learning to overcome her confidence issues doesn't make the best plot outline
    19. Spark of the Resistance - rushed writing, terrible dialogue, childish character interactions, the plight of the Resistance reminds me why I'm not fond of new Canon
    20. The Mighty Chewbacca in the Forest of Fear!: this one really felt like a children's book to me, both in story and the writing[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Last edited: Apr 8, 2022
  9. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    So after a long while my updated list.

1. Dark Disciple
    One of the best SW books I ever read. I really felt for Ventress and her struggles. But even better was the fact it actually made Quinlan Vos likable. Never expected that to happen... And yes I would have prefered Ventress to survive at the end, especially as this version of the character, unlike the legends version, actually deserved a happy ending. But it was still a dignified sendoff.

2. Kindered Spiritis Just a short story but a great read. Ventress and Lassa really fit well together. Sad we can‘t see more of them, but hey what fanfiction for?

3. Phasma brilliant, loved it, didn´t expect Disney to be so brave to paint Phasma that dark, shame the movies didn´t use her at all, also Cardinal was cool. Sadly a complete waste in regards to TLJ and TROS. Phasma deserved better.

4. Tarkin- excellent book, gives a lot of worldbuilding and depth to its characters, would be number one if not for introducing us to Sheev. Also the book that inspired me to an entire Fanfic Verse about Eriadu...

5. Aftermath :eek:- actually like both the writing style as well as the glimpses we get into other parts of the galaxy. Also nice that it actually gave us new characters instead of having the big 3 do everything meaningful post Endor.

6. Lords of the Sith- Fun book, allways nice to see Vader and the emperor get in on some action, sadly not much development beyond that.

7. Aftermath Empires End- liked it, though there were some parts that weren´t that great like the NR conspiracy

8. Aftermath Life Debt- was a bit disapointed by how little of it actually took place on Kashyyyk, also Sloane´s self rightousness really became anoying in this one

9. Lost Stars o_O- generally okay I would say though for me it rushed a bit too fast through the plot(maybe should have been a series) and sometimes the inclusion of the characters in OT events felt forced, though there were still good parts.

10. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    I keep a spreadsheet of my books, mark off which I've read off, and rank them by stars. Sometimes I put half points (4.5 etc) but I'll keep the list simple w/ just whole numbers.
    Scale:
    5 Stars = Fantastic Read
    4 Stars
    = Solid Very Good Read, memorable story, has a few flaws
    3 Stars = A Solid read, might have some jarring issues or is kind of forgettable
    2 Stars = Disappointing - flaws in writing and storytelling make for a forgettable book.

__________________________________________________________________________________
    5 Stars

Adult

Light of the Jedi
    Dark Disciple
    Lords of the Sith
    Lost Stars
    Bloodline

Young Adult/Readers

Into the Dark
    Queen's Shadow
    Rebel Rising
    ____________________________________________________________________________
    4 Stars

Adult

Out of the Shadows
    Fallen Star
    Master & Apprentice
    Last Shot
    Resistance Reborn

Young Adult/Readers

Race to Centerpoint
    Midnight Horizon
    Mission to Disaster
    Queen's Peril
    Most Wanted
    The Weapon of a Jedi: A Luke Skywalker Adventure
    Force Collector
    __________________________________________________________________________________
    3 Stars

Young Adult/Readers

A Test of Courage
    Star Wars The Mighty Chewbacca in the Forest of Fear
    Star Wars Guardians of the Whills
    The Last Jedi - Cobalt Squadron

2 Stars

Young Adult/Readers

_________________________________________________________________________________

Last edited: Apr 8, 2022
  11. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    A couple new reads since last year.

Must Reads
    Lost Stars
    Into the Dark
    The Last Jedi
    Canto Bight*
    -The Ride
    -Rules of the Game
    -The Wine in Dreams
    The Mighty Chewbacca in the Forest of Fear
    Rebel Rising
    Bloodline
    The Fallen Star
    Moving Target

Really Good
    Phasma
    Black Spire
    Alphabet Squadron
    Twilight Company
    Queen’s Shadow
    Solo
    Most Wanted
    Master & Apprentice
    Light of the Jedi
    Victory’s Price
    A Crash of Fate
    Rogue One
    Shadow Fall
    A New Dawn
    Aftermath
    The Rise of Skywalker
    Thrawn
    The Weapon of a Jedi
    Ahsoka
    The Rising Storm
    Catalyst
    Resistance Reborn
    Race to Crashpoint Tower
    Ezra’s Gamble
    Thrawn Ascendancy: Greater Good
    Guardians of the Whills
    Out of the Shadows

Pretty Good
    Smuggler’s Run
    Queen’s Peril
    The Force Awakens
    Force Collector
    Queen’s Hope
    A Test of Courage
    Lords of the Sith
    Inferno Squad
    Dark Disciple
    Before the Awakening*
    -Rey
    -Finn
    -Poe
    Spark of the Resistance

Decent Enough
    Tarkin
    Last Shot
    Mission to Disaster
    Heir to the Jedi
    Cobalt Squadron

*Placement of collection overall, individual ranks relative only within collection

12. Xander Vos

Aug 3, 2013
    Update:

1. Bloodline - This felt a lot like the old EU in a really good way. Really loved the story and pacing.
    2. Light of the Jedi - Really loved this book, a great start to a new era full of storytelling potential.
    3. Catalyst - Luceno is a great storyteller and really dug into the detail to give a great backstory to Rogue 1.
    4. Inferno Squad - Surprised myself with how much I loved this book, really awesome plot with compelling characters.
    5. Lords of the Sith - Great action and pacing, another that felt like the old EU.
    6. Greater Good - Felt like a classic SW/Zahn novel with a great mystery woven through the book that culminated in a compelling climax to the book. Really enjoying this trilogy so far.
    7. Thrawn: Treason - Really enjoyed this. Easily the best Thrawn book we've had in the new canon. Very engaging story and flowed well.
    9. A New Dawn - Good interesting story that I enjoyed more than I expected.
    10. Master and Apprentice - Grey's got a great grasp on Star Wars.
    11. Chaos Rising - Really enjoyed this fresh look into a corner of the SW Galaxy we haven't seen before, read more as a fantasy book than pure SW which was great.
    12. Black Spire - Enjoyable romp.
    13. Solo: A Star Wars Story - Really enjoyed this, easily the most of all the film novelisations. Lafferty does really well to capture the humour of the movie and expands on the story in a really compelling way.
    14. Alliances - Preferred this to the first Thrawn novel but not by much.
    15. From A Certain Point of View: ESB - Enjoyed more than the first one, some really brilliant stories
    16. Thrawn
    17. The Rising Storm - Too drawn out with too thin a plot.
    18. From A Certain Point of View - great fun stories.
    19. Rogue One - Good retelling of the movie from Freed.
    20. Resistance Reborn - Good original characters, compelling plot, movie characters tread water.
    21. Victory's Price - Certainly flowed the best of the three, but still found that Freed's style is a bit too dense for me to really enjoy.
    22. Twilight Company - Good book but felt very dense.
    23. Last Shot - Good story but felt a bit clumsily told.
    24. Empire's End - Good conclusion to the trilogy but wasn't a fan of the trilogy as a whole.
    25. Shadow Fall - Lacking in plot depth, and padded out with similar characterisations.
    26. Alphabet Squadron - Another very dense book that was tough to get through, but when it got going it was quite good.
    27. The Last Jedi - Enjoyed this a lot more than the movie, Fry is a great writer.
    28. The Rise of Skywalker - This was ok, but didn't really improve my impression of the story. Which I suppose isn't Carson's fault, but she didn't add much to the narrative to improve it, and doubled-down in some ways.
    29. Life Debt - Eh it was ok but nothing special.
    30. Fallen Star - My most disappointing of the High Republic books. Much like Rising Storm the plot was just too thin but here the characters were thin as well.
    30. Aftermath - Good characters but didn't like the writing style at all.
    31. The Force Awakens - Foster tries to make this way too hard Sci-Fi which is jarring.
    32. Dark Disciple - Just really did not like this at all. The writing style and the pacing of the story were all just way off base.

13. Maythe14thBeWithYou

Maythe14thBeWithYou Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2014
    I've read most of these and not all the YA, bur what would you say are the most important books in Canon? Don't get me wrong I've enjoyed but wanted an opinion on what people think are the most consequential.

14. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    My rankings of all the Star Wars novels I have read this year

Master and Apprentice
    Basically a 10/10 it covers an era with characters we already know but is new all the same. It introduces new great characters like Pax and Rael Aveross. It also explores the relationship between a master and an apprentice in a unique way. It’s definitely worth a reread.
    Dooku Jedi Lost
    Dooku Jedi Lost is good it’s great. My only real complaint is it jumps around a bit to much in time. I wish it focused on some of the story a bit longer. I think someone could right the best Star Wars novel ever if they just dug down and focused on Dooku in shorter window. However I absolutely loved everything about the novel regardless and really loved the Nerec acted as Ventresses own little angle on her shoulder. 9.6 out of ten
    Inquistor rise of the red blade
    Inquistor is another good read. It finally sheds some much needed light on the program as a whole. And it made a rather throw away character much more interesting. I mentioned earlier that some books wear their twists out in the open. This is one of those books. But it covers my favorite era the clone wars and or early empire. Nothing beats that. 9.1 out of ten
    Convergence
    This book is the opposite of inquistor. It’s twist I don’t know how one could see it coming. This book however suffers from having protagonists that aren’t interesting. Specifically Xiri and Phontu aren’t really interesting. It’s basically Romeo and Juliet but they don’t die horribly. Galle and Axel on the other hand make up for my lack of caring of the two lovebirds. Great characters and I commend Córdova on writing them. I put both of them up with Rael Aveross in my favorite original character ranking. 9/10
    Doctor Aphra
    I really do like this book and the voice acting as well for all the characters was great. Aphra’ inner monologue was done perfectly. The fact they made it a fourth wall breaking story by having her dictate her thoughts to her journal after the fact was also a brilliant move and fit the character greatly. My only problem is I have seen the main plot before. There was no tension because I know the fate of literally every single character in the book. However I do really like what they add so I still think it’s very worth it 8.9 out of ten
    Battle of Jedha
    My second high republic book. I barely know nothing about the high republic but I think the first few books are set like a hundred years before the second group of books. But I am starting to put together a theory. This group the open Hand. I think they are the Nihil just you know before they became all Nihily. I know nothing about any of this just names. this book is good. There isn’t anything really wrong with it. But there isn’t anything mind blowing about it either. However I am greatful anytime we get to go back to Jedha. The new canon is doing what the prequels should have done. Making Jedha a cool place. The prequels should have done that with Alderaan.
    Anyway 8.2 out of ten
    Jedi: Battle Scars
    Read this one months ago now. And it’s my least favorite. Fret is just not a good original character. She isn’t the worst ever she just isn’t good. Also Merrin is completely butchered in the first half. It’s not a character assassination, but it’s out of character throughout the first half. The second half of the book is much better. However where the book redeems itself slightly is in the other characters. Cal, Cere and Greez are all written fantastically. It’s why it confuses me so much that Merrin was written so poorly during the first half.
    7.4 out of ten.

15. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    I fell behind my SW reading for a bit, so I spent the back half of 2023 catching up. A lot of what I read I really enjoyed, even if they weren't top tier books, and even the pretty good books had some interesting bits that helped them stand out.

Must Reads
    Lost Stars
    Into the Dark
    The Last Jedi
    Canto Bight*
    -The Ride
    -Rules of the Game
    -The Wine in Dreams
    The Mighty Chewbacca in the Forest of Fear
    Rebel Rising
    Bloodline
    The Fallen Star
    Moving Target

Really Good
    Phasma
    Black Spire
    Quest for the Hidden City
    Alphabet Squadron
    Twilight Company
    Queen’s Shadow
    Solo
    Most Wanted
    Master & Apprentice
    Light of the Jedi
    Victory’s Price
    Padawan
    Pirate’s Price

A Crash of Fate
    Rogue One
    Shadow of the Sith
    Shadow Fall
    A New Dawn
    Aftermath
    The Rise of Skywalker
    Midnight Horizon
    Thrawn
    The Weapon of a Jedi
    Ahsoka
    The Rising Storm
    Crimson Climb
    Catalyst
    Thrawn Ascendancy: Lesser Evil
    Resistance Reborn
    Race to Crashpoint Tower
    Ezra’s Gamble
    Convergence
    The Princess and the Scoundrel

Thrawn Ascendancy: Greater Good
    Guardians of the Whills
    Out of the Shadows
    Lando’s Luck

Pretty Good
    Smuggler’s Run
    Queen’s Peril
    The Force Awakens
    Path of Deceit
    Hunters: Battle for the Arena

Force Collector
    Queen’s Hope
    A Test of Courage
    Lords of the Sith
    Inferno Squad
    Dark Disciple
    Before the Awakening*
    -Rey
    -Finn
    -Poe
    Spark of the Resistance

Decent Enough
    Tarkin
    Last Shot
    Mission to Disaster
    Heir to the Jedi
    Cobalt Squadron

iPodwithnomusic likes this.
  16. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Okay

everything else good

Bad for the love of god do not read.
    Join the resistance.
    So ends my list

17. Xander Vos

Aug 3, 2013
    Update:

Great Reads

9. From A Certain Point of View - Return of the Jedi - my favourite of the three, the fact a number of the stories wove together in particular made it extra enjoyable.
    10. A New Dawn - Good interesting story that I enjoyed more than I expected.
    11. Master and Apprentice - Grey's got a great grasp on Star Wars.
    12. Chaos Rising - Really enjoyed this fresh look into a corner of the SW Galaxy we haven't seen before, read more as a fantasy book than pure SW which was great.

Decent Reads

13. Princess and the Scoundrel - like Black Spire just below it, a fun romp that was clearly just a tie-in for tourism, but a decent enough story all the same.
    14. Black Spire - Enjoyable romp.
    15. Solo: A Star Wars Story - Really enjoyed this, easily the most of all the film novelisations. Lafferty does really well to capture the humour of the movie and expands on the story in a really compelling way.
    16. Alliances - Preferred this to the first Thrawn novel but not by much.
    17. From A Certain Point of View: ESB - Enjoyed more than the first one, some really brilliant stories
    18. Thrawn
    19. The Rising Storm - Too drawn out with too thin a plot.
    20. From A Certain Point of View - great fun stories.
    21. Rogue One - Good retelling of the movie from Freed.
    22. Shadow of the Sith - Good without great story, good to see some effort done to retcon/flesh out TROS plot points.
    23. Resistance Reborn - Good original characters, compelling plot, movie characters tread water.
    24. Victory's Price - Certainly flowed the best of the three, but still found that Freed's style is a bit too dense for me to really enjoy.
    25. Twilight Company - Good book but felt very dense.

Worthwhile reads

26. Last Shot - Good story but felt a bit clumsily told.
    27. Cataclysm - Better than Convergence as it had a broader plot, but still felt very thin.
    28. Empire's End - Good conclusion to the trilogy but wasn't a fan of the trilogy as a whole.
    29. Shadow Fall - Lacking in plot depth, and padded out with similar characterisations.
    30. Alphabet Squadron - Another very dense book that was tough to get through, but when it got going it was quite good.
    31. The Last Jedi - Enjoyed this a lot more than the movie, Fry is a great writer.
    32. The Rise of Skywalker - This was ok, but didn't really improve my impression of the story. Which I suppose isn't Carson's fault, but she didn't add much to the narrative to improve it, and doubled-down in some ways.
    33. Life Debt - Eh it was ok but nothing special.

MIssable reads

34. Convergence - The plot just didn't grab me and didn't flesh out as well as the YA books of this era.
    35. Fallen Star - My most disappointing of the High Republic books. Much like Rising Storm the plot was just too thin but here the characters were thin as well.

Bad reads

36. Aftermath - Good characters but didn't like the writing style at all.
    37. The Force Awakens - Foster tries to make this way too hard Sci-Fi which is jarring.
    38. Jedi: Battle Scars - Poorly written characters and very thin plot.
    39. Dark Disciple - Just really did not like this at all. The writing style and the pacing of the story were all just way off base.

Have updated with books released since my last update. Haven't read Rise of the Red Blade - should I?

Last edited: Jan 18, 2024
  18. clonegeek

clonegeek Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 28, 2022
    Rise of the Red Blade was a pretty solid read. Its a nice read that doesn't feel like its just meant to set up something else. I would recommand it

Xander Vos likes this.