main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

MOD Read this before posting a new thread. Not kidding.

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by AdamBertocci, Feb 8, 2005.

1. ObiJuan2080

ObiJuan2080 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 31, 2004
    I am wondering if anyone has a backup of the hologram tutorial crewoftwo.com once had. I know there are others out there but I really liked their method. So...anyone?

2. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
    At the risk of again killing this thread...here's an answer to the question above thanks to the internet archive. :)

Hope that helps!

3. ObiJuan2080

ObiJuan2080 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 31, 2004
    Thanks DV

4. Use2bVader

Use2bVader Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 6, 2006
    Yeah but did you notice the guy's picture? Looks like he's wearing a County jail jumpsuit;)

5. VaporTrail

VaporTrail Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 19, 2002
    Then he'd probably have all the more reason to know about it, wouldn't he?

6. jedistan

jedistan Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 8, 2005
    As a relative n00b I appreciate having stuff like this posted. I would like to see some kind of answer to something like this:

What is the proper way/What is the appropriate method to posting a release thread for a fanfilm?

Or something along those lines. Thanks.

7. bgii_2000

bgii_2000 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2005
    It all depends on how you want to do it. Some nice things to include are:

Release date.

Trailer releases.

Cast/Crew.

Extremely brief story/setting description. (Resist posting your script or a synopsis, as this ruins the plot before people have even seen it)

Posters.

Web sites.

Updates.

Make sure you've got all your ducks in a row as far as hosting and bandwidth goes before telling every one to try and download it.

8. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    Updated to hopefully cut down on the daily questions about legality.

Rick McCallum loves you!

9. AdamBertocci

Feb 3, 2002
    Updated with a question about thread titles in all caps.

This is quite clearly the best thread on the JC, darn it.

Rick McCallum loves you!

10. SilSolo

SilSolo Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2004
    I'm wondering, are films made from SW soundtracks and vid clips from other 'verses okay here?

11. AdamBertocci

Feb 3, 2002
    I don't know for a fact which companies are and aren't willing to turn a blind eye to uses of their video clips.

I don't encourage it in any case, but that's speaking as a person, not a mod.

Rick McCallum loves you!

12. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Can we add a clarification about the use of SW footage. For example, linking to youtube clips containing SW footage is not allowed

13. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
    Perhaps we need to talk this out in MS as well, but here are my thoughts on it based on the order of events I've witnessed:

We were told to edit all links to YouTube that contained official Star Wars footage in it. Simple right? Just edit out all the links and host the videos elsewhere IF they had the movie clips.

Then YouTube deletes a bunch of fan-made stuff and LFL tells them to put it back up. From my understanding, the key thing about these videos was that they were produced by fans not that they had official footage in them. So from that perspective nothing has changed on our end.

Now, if LFL openly said "put as much official footage up there as you want" it'd be a different story because they'd be saying we could do whatever with it. But as of right now I'm honestly not sure we'd be in the clear if LFL came down on any links we had laying around to copyright footage on another site like YouTube. One of the main reasons we were told to edit the links in the first place was because of all the infringement that takes place there and we didn't want to be in the middle of things if the lawyers started knocking on doors.

All that said, we can bring this back up in MS if it's something that everyone wants to find out about. The easiest thing is just stick with what we have going now but we haven't spoken about it since the initial discussion either so I'm not sure what would happen.

14. WhiskeyGold

WhiskeyGold Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    Can we post non-Star Wars fan films? I guess it wouldn't be fan films then, just homemade films. I made some action movies in the mid 80s. I have them on YouTube and love to share with Star Wars fans.

15. durbnpoisn

durbnpoisn TFN Staff Cast & Crew Database star 5 VIP

May 20, 2002
    People put up release threads for all kinds of independant films. This may be a Star Wars related board. And this particular forum may be all about fan films. But we generally like to see any and all kinds of stuff. Especially if it has cool FX or something.

But, this place is loaded with Star Wars fans first. So, don't be surprised it you don't get much response.

What I recommend is create one thread with links to all your films. Just make sure that nothing is copyrighted. The TOS says you can't link to copyrighted YouTube stuff. (that is, stuff that's owned by someone else).

16. Cramer

Cramer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 18, 2004
    Yes, DV, bring it up and see what the conclusions come to. There are some really brilliant re-workings using the original footage up on youtube.

17. MAGNIFICENT-SITH

MAGNIFICENT-SITH Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 8, 2005
    This thread is very useful! Thanks!

18. StevenBills

StevenBills Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2006
  19. BruceM

BruceM Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 8, 2006
    I am just wondering, but is this a good idea to put in the sticky?

"Preview your post before submmitting"

I think it is a good tip/thing to do. So many times I see the wrong code used, or something doesnt work that the poster intended to do.For me, whenever I post something that contains a hyperlink or a picture or both, I preview the post before submitting. What do you guys think of that tip?
    Bruce

20. ShadowDuelist

ShadowDuelist Jedi Master star 4

Sep 21, 2006
    or at least look at it afterwards while you can still edit it.

21. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Would it be possible to restore the first post for now? It's badly truncated and while I know it will be restored eventually, I was thinking about starting a new thread and wanted to check . . . . . . :confused:

22. AdamBertocci

Feb 3, 2002
    Oh hell! I didn't know this was gonna happen. Stupid move.

Make your new thread with my blessing. I'm sure it's a good thread. You seem smart. :p I may just have to start this thing from scratch, or repopulate it if bad threads start to happen en masse. We're not as busy as we used to be.

Rick McCallum loves you!

23. PadawanNick

PadawanNick Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 6, 2001
    "You will be. .... You will be....."

Have fun!

24. Ananta Chetan

Ananta Chetan Force Ghost star 5

Aug 11, 2013
    AdamBertocci
    Where is the best place to get info. on the newest and best Fan Films as well as member reviews?

25. AdamBertocci

Feb 3, 2002
    I'll be honest — I have no idea! TFN used to be sort of your one-stop shop, but there is no more one-stop shop any more now that social media has made the scene so balkanized.

Rick McCallum loves you!

Ananta Chetan likes this.