main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V Rian Johnson helming new Star Wars Trilogy!!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralNick22 , Nov 9, 2017.

1. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    I believe the claim was that JJ had planned it from the beginning, when he wasn’t sure whether or not he would do the entire trilogy. It’s possible he had some concepts done up, I suppose?

2. Nom von Anor

Nom von Anor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2012
    I remember very well that when the return of Palpatine was first announced, KK made a comment about how it was in the cards from the beginning. But I don't remember exactly when and where, so make of it what you will.

3. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    To the extent they were answered, the answers are... not exactly convincing. I like the bit about people who hated TLJ going to see it multiple times just to make sure they really hated it, though. "Yeah, it's my fourth time... got to be sure about these things!"
    One hopes Iger's enthusiasm for firing analysts would be tempered by the fact that Iger himself didn't even see the massive box office of TFA coming - and is on record saying he didn't expect the same for Rogue One. He knew full well TFA's box office was an anomaly caused by massive pend-up demand and hype, and that future films weren't going to live up to that bar.
    And yet, at the end of the day, 1.3 Billion-with-a-B in the bank. Top moneymaker in 2017 both domestically and worldwide. If I had the choice between being the guy delivering the numbers to Iger and the guy who fired the successful filmmaker who just made the company 1.3 billion (especially after Solo), I'm pretty sure I'd rather be the number cruncher.

4. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    The other thing here is it takes a lot of effort to hold a grudge, fans tend to be rather forgiving, whatever they may say to the contrary. I managed a good 18 months of buying relatively little SW product, saw TROS for free, liked it more than I expected to, bought a bit more over the course of last year than the year before.

An actual exit strategy? Takes quite a bit more time, planning and dedication.

The Positive Fan likes this.
  5. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Oh tell me about it.

It's why I never really sympathize with anyone (At least they have a good reason mind you) who say they are done with Star Wars after one movie they don't like.

Saw some people say "They were done with Star Wars" after TROS...Then Mandalorian happened and now they are back on the wagon.

black_saber likes this.
  6. The Positive Fan

Jan 19, 2015
    I'd like to think that's the case - life is short and grudges waste precious time. While I personally don't believe the number of fans who skipped Solo due to negative feelings about TLJ was all that large, I hope those that did ultimately gave it a shot at some point - it wasn't half as bad as it ought to have been given what it had to go through to finally make it onto the screen.

7. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    For myself, after TLJ, I had no desire to pay £16 to see Solo in the cinema, (plus travel + food costs) but as a cheap £12 BR buy months later that isn't a one-off experience? Yeah, OK. Turned out to be a great little movie for those attentive to what goes on it - for instance, see the shipyard chase.

TLJ was unusual in that it did see some fans putting their money where their mouth was. The problem is there's no means to see that in any clear way due to the mass, mass popularity level SW operates at. Fans don't buy, new fans buy in their place - Hail Disney. Not that it's new, DR was doing the same trick on NJO decades (oh ****) ago.

What you likely won't get is people going years later, "oh, I like that now", despite their buying the product in question. I really liked how TUF concluded NJO, I truly love how the Legacy comics developed it further, do I still disagree with certain creative decisions of NJO? Oh yes, and that's not changing.

8. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I feel like though the mentality of not wanting to see one movie because you didn't like the movie is...at least with Star Wars ...different creative people.

Like I understand not wanting to see TLJ or TROS if you didn't like the movie prior because it's still telling a ongoing story that someone didn't like from the start.

Solo is a different story with a different creative team...So it's almost separate enough from the other story.

Or even with DR

Post NJO may not have one's cup of tea

But we still had books like Plagueis and the Darth Maul stuff that came out.

The nice thing about Star Wars is that it jumps around in the timeline...Don't like TROS...Try Mando, different team different era different story.

Mando ain't your thing try High Republic.

High Republic isn't your thing...Maybe Cassian or Bad Batch.

I feel like the further we go the more buffett mentality is required instead of ongoing dinner.

Dream-Thinker likes this.
  9. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    What you're describing Jid is the fan vs consumer outlook. A consumer outlook absolutely will advocate dropping the entire brand due to one bad experience because there is a lesser level of interest there.

Whereas a fan outlook will likely seek alternatives because dropping the entire thing is the nuclear option of last resort. Did I buy much ST product 2018 to 2020? Nope, but there was some and the common factor was it was distinctly different from the films, which got my interest. It's remarkably how differently the ST appears outside of film.

That said, for some fans - and this all depends on how you view the chronology - that the ST sets up set ends of certain characters that are seriously disagreed with can be hard to get around. My version is I dislike it but can't do anything about it, so I'm following other strands instead - that works for me sure, not so much for others. About the only way to have a defence against corporate decisions you disagree with but have no ability to change is a diversified array of interest in SW. If you have just the one and that one gets burnt, well, there's not much left for that person. Thus proclaiming their great disdain for it online is about the only card remaining. (For these fans though, turning around and saying "well you shouldn't have cared so much" isn't the answer.)

10. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I wouldn't say fans are forgiving, they're just fickle. And that's not just fans of franchises and IPs, but sport fans, too. I mean, Zack Snyder used to get absolutely battered on the Internet for his films, now he's the second coming. Its like people have magically forgotten, IMO, how genuinely bad Batman vs. Superman actually was. I have no doubt his Justice League film will be better than the clearly unfinished abomination that was released, but it quite likely won't be a good film.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
  11. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Okay I guess fair

But is there a lesser interest in Star Wars now? Like Mandalorian is one of the most meme'd and top rated streaming shows right now...Like if anything it's the Star Wars that's brining in more non Star Wars fan then say maybe even Force Awakens did. And Season 2 it seems is just cementing it.

Although I don't think your arguing that there is a lesser interest in Star Wars now? I think...I've lost track of the thread as it's gone on.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2021
  12. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    No. The question will always be asked Jid, but I don't think there's any absolute clear cut way to say interest in SW has changed at the mass popularity and collective level. There might be some data on toy sales, video games but it's known to be patchy and incomplete for books and comics.

13. EmperorHorus

EmperorHorus Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2016
    You've clearly already decided what you want to believe and nothing will change that, regardless of the logic or veracity of any counter-argument. Not much point in further discourse at that point.

An even more relevant example: George Lucas. Absolutely barbecued by fans 20 years ago but now after the ST the same fans (I'm assuming they're the same fans, tbf they might not be) are saying they wished he had done the movies and that Disney "ruined Star Wars".

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
    kalzeth and DarthFixxxer like this.
  14. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Well, I may be in the minority here but I'm glad this is still a go. The man might be better for that obscure trilogy. We know he wont follow the formula and you know what that is what I think star wars needs.

15. Hamburger_Time

Hamburger_Time Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2010
    ESB was extremely polarizing when it first came out. Its reputation increased after ROTJ, whose reputation increased after the prequels, whose reputation increased after the reboot...

...as such, I see no reason why the ST's reputation shouldn't increase when whatever the next big punching bag is comes out.

16. The Positive Fan

Jan 19, 2015
    I'm really not trying to be a pain about it. I simply can't buy into the idea that the trilogy was actually canceled three years ago when we received confirmation last week it was still on, or that Disney is scrambling to distance itself from a film that was financially and critically successful because the Internet complained about it. The Internet complains about everything and Disney understands that as well as anyone. The evidence for those conclusions just isn't there.
    With Rogue Squadron and Feige's film presumably being standalones, ironically enough the Johnson trilogy might well be that punching bag!

17. EmperorHorus

Sep 3, 2016
    That's fine, this is all speculation anyway. 10 years from now when it still hasn't happened and even RJ himself has stopped talking about it you'll have a lot less trouble buying into the idea.

18. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016

19. The Positive Fan

Jan 19, 2015
    If in ten years we have neither an RJ trilogy nor any clear idea of whatever happened to it, you can be sure I will have conceded by then that it was canceled [face_peace] Here's hoping we don't have to wait quite that long for some actual news. Even after the big Disney+ announcement, this is still the upcoming project I'm most excited about. (The Andor and Obi-Wan series are very close runner-ups.)

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  20. EmperorHorus

Sep 3, 2016
  21. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
  22. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
  23. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    That money is either 98% salaries or they're investing in some real fancy knives this time for that rack. Plot twist!

...or space. Among Us style.

24. The Positive Fan

Jan 19, 2015
    Hey, Daniel Craig's gotta eat. Probably caviar. Maybe those little things of high quality cheese that are hard to open. Not the cheap stuff.

I thought there was already a deal for KO2? Maybe COVID changed some things.

Anyway, guess it's time to brace for a new round of "Rian's trilogy isn't happening" posts. Hang on just a sec... okay, got my hip boots on. Good to go.

BigAl6ft6 and Daneira like this.
  25. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    He was definitely working on the script but I think the production side and selling the movie is kind of up in the air before now. Since it seems like KO2 is going into production this year, I'd guess he'll do this movie, then his Peacock series with Natasha Lyonne, then KO3 and after that it could be 2025 and he could go into production on the first movie of his trilogy with a 2027 release. If that's what Disney has planned. If. lol

Jedi Knight Fett and BigAl6ft6 like this.