main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Rose Tico/Kelly Marie Tran Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Pro Scoundrel , Jan 3, 2020.

1. Martin Hoffmann

Martin Hoffmann Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 14, 2020
    Basically you are right. A betrayal by Rose would not be very logical. On the other hand, maybe a good writer would find a reason why Rose as a rebel joins the First Order. Maybe because Finn doesn't want to be her boyfriend? Or because after TLJ Rose realized that the rebels have no chance against Kylo and the First Order.

I wouldn't have found it bad if the writers had done something special with Rose in Episode IX. I like Rose as a character. But the story with Finn in TLJ was just not a good one ;)

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
  2. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    that would not be good writing in my opinion, because that would basically mean Rose’s story would just be for the sake of another character’s story, so basically it would be the opposite of giving a character their own story

3. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
  4. dagenspear

dagenspear Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 9, 2015
    The movie could not have her sister be there, or have her sister not have died because of the first order.

5. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
  6. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Reviving this thread because I've been doing a bit of thinking about Rose and her character portrayal lately.

I do think that Rose gets a bit too much criticism for her joy at freeing the fathiers and not freeing the stable children in TLJ. I think the fathiers represent something free and beautiful to Rose--sort of a symbol of what the Resistance is trying to achieve in the galaxy--so that is part of why she is so happy to be able to free them. The fathiers are creatures that are presumably capable of surviving in the wild, whereas Rose would basically be bringing the children back to an endangered warship where they could very likely die. So, Rose wasn't really in a great position to really be able to help or save the children. And the children obviously felt hope when they helped Rose free the fathiers and sort of defy their masters and the First Order on Canto Bight. Like they are clearly exhilarated. So in a way they are feeling the hope that the Resistance is supposed to embody. When I think about it that way, Rose and the fathier scene works better for me. There still is definitely some preachiness and tone deafness to Rose and the Canto Bight arc, but when I think about it a bit more I believe some of the criticisms in this regard may be a bit exaggerated or unfair to Rose.

Also, with regard to her line about winning by saving what we love, I've always found there to be a certain resonance to it. Even though I wish Rose had acknowledged that was what Finn was trying to do all along--save what he loved and even getting tazed for that--I still think it is a fairly powerful and profound line. Also, it could be a line that functions as proof of how Rose's character is growing and evolving, learning that the secret to beating the First Order isn't in anger or hatred but in love. A very Star Wars sort of theme, and it takes a strong person to go through the loss and trauma that Rose does without becoming bitter but growing more in love.

I do wish that the movie had showcased Rose's growth a bit more and made it clearer that she was growing rather than often using her as a mouthpiece to preach at the audience, which I think is part of the reason Rose's character unfortunately earned so much backlash, but I do believe that when I make an effort to sort of position Rose at the center of her own story (which is maybe the best way to deeply analyze any character), I can indeed see that she is growing and is a complex character. At least in TLJ. In TROS, she was more relegated to the background, and her character wasn't fleshed out as much. Likely because of the backlash to her character in TLJ.

Just some of my latest Rose thoughts!

Glitterstimm likes this.
  7. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    Yeah, ultimately the biggest problem with her writing was how she was used with Finn. I don’t think that Johnson, for instance, was actually thinking about giving her an arc; I think he accidentally created a framework you can read a story into, because he was trying to use Rose as a hammer to beat Finn “into the right shape” in a pretty incompetent way.

For instance, that line she gives Finn when she “saves” him feels just as incongruous for her character as it is for him - neither have truly had an emotional arc put on display that would make this moment work, and the contradiction in their actions with what the scene is supposed to show makes it clear Johnson wanted the message spelled out but didn’t bother thinking it through enough to show it instead of just tell it.

It’s kind of like how you can tell KMT has chemistry with Boyega (no surprise, as Boyega has chemistry with everyone) but Johnson isn’t using it at all past their first scene. It gives an artificial air to their interactions, much like other pairings in the film.

Shadao, 2Cleva, QUIGONMIKE and 6 others like this.
  8. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    @godisawesome Yeah, I think the focus in TLJ wasn't so much on giving Rose an arc as using her to sort of lecture Finn and the audience, which is part of the reason she unfortunately got so much backlash. I believe the better way to have written her character would have been to focus on giving her an arc along with Finn's so that we could sort of see how she grew and changed as a result of her time with Finn. That would've made her a more complex character, better developed her relationship with Finn, and probably improved TLJ as a whole.

I didn't see Finn and Rose in a romantic light in TLJ until Rose just sort of kissed Finn in a way that felt kind of out of nowhere to me. I don't really object to the kiss since I do like an interracial kiss appearing in Star Wars for the first time, but that how romantic angle to their relationship seems underdeveloped in TROS and even in the supplementary material of the Resistance Reborn novel since the romance is basically discontinued beyond TLJ. So, it just feels like this isolated, out of nowhere kiss that wasn't expanded on more or led up to really well. It just happened out of the blue and then became a sort of abandoned plot thread in future ST content. Which sort of did a disservice to both Rose and Finn's characters.

But I do think Rose had potential as a character. A diamond in the rough type of character. I'm just pondering how that diamond could be carved out into something beautiful.

9. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    Rose is preachy and imo obnoxious, but a lot of TLJ's characters are, starting with Luke. What separates Rose though is that she doesn't have anything else going for her, she doesn't have any Star Wars Hero material to make up for it. Rey gets to be a Jedi, Poe's an ace pilot, even Finn gets a decent fight scene. Rose seems to just be there for some moralizing, and to highlight Finn's weaknesses, specifically that he's naive or short-sighted or even dim-witted depending on how charitably you watch it.

Maybe she's supposed to be the "clever" character, but none of her schemes end up working that well, so it feels like she's getting short-sticked. I don't think the Fathier stuff is terrible, but it's just not good enough a climax to save the Canto Bight storyline, and not enough to make her a classic Star Wars hero. Apparently there was supposed to be more of an espionage aesthetic to Canto Bight, Finn and Rose were supposed to have costume changes and stuff but it got cut. Maybe that would have been better, idk.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2021
    Shadao, Darth__Lobot, 2Cleva and 5 others like this.
  10. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    @Glitterstimm You make some great points. I agree that a lot of TLJ characters sadly fall into the trap of being preachy and just avatars for Rian to insert his opinions about things, which I think is part of why a lot of the characterization in TLJ unfortunately falls flat for me.

With most of the other characters as you say, there are the appearances in other movies and Star Wars content to sort of compensate for the TLJ portrayal, but you are right that with Rose, a bulk of her appearance is just in TLJ. In TROS, she is a background figure, and even in books like Resistance Reborn, she isn't given much of a chance to shine. So for her in many ways, it is sort of an all the eggs in one basket, all or nothing, TLJ situation.

I'm actually not sure if Rose is meant to be a nerdy/clever type character or more of a regular, every woman type character.

An espionage act of Canto Bight might have been cool but also perhaps a lot to fit into the movie so I could understand concerns about time constraints perhaps.

11. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    The kiss honestly comes off to me as a very revealing bit of storytelling regarding Johnson’s purpose for Rose in the story - that aside from her being a useful mouthpiece, her main purpose was to “lock down” Finn away from Rey and “permanently” kill off any potential of Finn as Rey’s romantic interest.

Note that doesn’t mean actually being interested in Finn and Rose’s romance himself, though; that’s why the kiss comes out of nowhere. It’s such a utilitarian usage of a female character to try and “defend” another (his Rey and Kylo “romance) that it’s anemic as a character story.
    I still say the biggest single idea that could have made Rose “cool” in TLJ and also cleaned up some of TLJ’s dubious storytelling would have been to have her escape DJ’s treachery, and sabotage the particle shields of the Supremacy so that Holdo’s ramming would have a reason to work.

It wouldn’t be much, but it would have at least made her seem resourceful and significant outside of her interactions with Finn.

12. Def Trooper

Def Trooper Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 6, 2019
    I kind of agree that TROS certainly couldve done more with Rose, but she was such a non-character in TLJ that Abrams was left with basically nothing to work from. What is Rose? A preachy, idealistic mechanic with no standout skills or knowledge who's...apparently in love with Finn?

And that part just makes everything far more awkward and difficult because of how tacked-on it was. In Rian's "heist thriller" version of Canto Bight there was a cliche sexual tension scene that at least establishes a potential attraction earlier in the arc, but without that, the kiss falls flat. And the relationship in general is so one-sided with Rose constantly correcting Finn like he's a toddler (while Finn is barely allowed any comebacks or dialogue of his own) made her feel like a babysitter.

Like, was Finn/Rose supposed to be THE romance of TLJ? Does Rian view SW's first interracial kiss as significant? How would he have written them in 9?

It's just frustrating. TLJ's writing was so awful that it ruined everything moving forward, and RJ just gets to walk away without explaining his decisions beyond the "notions" or the feel of it in the moment.

13. SmokeMonster4815162342

SmokeMonster4815162342 Jedi Master star 3

Dec 31, 2015
    I liked Rose, the hopeful everywoman, inspired by “big deal” heroes, yet in turn helping them devote themselves to a cause.

That being said, I think killing her character off in TLJ or TROS (by Hux or Phasma’s hand?) could have been used to good effect for Finn’s arc.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2021
  14. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    I like the fangirl contrasts between Rose and Rey. Rose's fangirl spell was dispelled fairly quickly once she concluded (incorrectly, IMO) that Finn was just trying to run away, and Rey's fangirl spell over Luke took a more gradual dispelling because of how complicated his story was and how legendary his history was.

MarcJordan likes this.
  15. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    To me, there’s two issues with both Rose as the “everywoman” and as “the fangirl” in TLJ, and the second is one she shares with Rey, actually, while the first is a problem she shares with Finn.

For the Everywoman aspect, I think I’d make this argument: in the more escapist heavy world of Star Wars, the Everyman and Everywoman can’t do a Star Trek-style “lower decks” episode in the background that’s more of a mundane story, but instead need to be shown evolving into impactful, significant, and somewhat fantastical, to become more aspirational and awesome. Neither Finn nor Rose benefitted from having a far more mundane and comparatively insignificant story in TLJ - it was a clear regression for Finn from TFA, and a bad starting spot for Rose. There’s a reason Finn’s popularity downgraded and Rise’s never took off. In Star Wars, people want the relatable Everyman to end up trading blows with and leaving just as big of an impact on the story as the larger-than-life legends on their way to becoming legends themselves - Luke Skywalker and Han Solo are in many ways exactly that kind of idea, and forgetting that is one of TLJ’s problems.

A similar issue plagues Rose and Rey in TLJ. The films’s idea of them as fangirls is detached, and too “out-of-universe” in POV. The result is two character who again get easily overshadowed instead of standing out - Rey by Kylo and Luke’s story, Rose by the trite and juvenile way the entire mission tries to pitch itself as a teachable moment. Neither character is given a chance to ask more interesting in-universe questions because of the film’s glib approach to Star Wars, and both end up being used more as script or plot tools rather than characters, easily overshadowed by their male co-stars.

Arguably, Rose simply shows all the flaws of TLJ’s character writing for the new characters, but without the previously built-up fanbase the other characters got from TFA. And surprise surprise, it’s hard to care about those characters except in a selectively observational and clinical manner - where you turn on only some of the critical analysis skills and avoid others, and don’ really engage your heart either.

It’s a weaker, more prosaic type of Star Trek approach to an inherently more operatic franchise.

Jedi_Fenrir767 and Def Trooper like this.
  16. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    Personally i don't think there was anything to kill off in the first place. i never believed there was any romance in TFA and im sure i ain't the only person who didn't notice it. so if Rian didn't notice it, that wouldn't be surprising tbh. he did give Rey and Finn the hug, so he did acknowledge that relationship. so he wasn't hiding anything. but maybe the issue was to anything more was clearly never obvious in the first place.

Now i ain't saying Finn and Rose was anything either. but Rian did show is that often when filmmakers want to get a point across... they don't hide it. nothing is ever subtle in hollywood.

ezekiel22x likes this.
  17. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    Oh yeah, Johnson wasn’t subtle.

He was clearly afraid of even a platonic relationship between Rey and Finn similar to the one they had before, and felt there was nothing off putting about someone as unsubtly evil and vile as Kylo Ren.

The dude was more scared of Rey and Finn being close friends than he was of making Rey have a crush on her murderous stalker. He just misused Kelly Marie Tran as a tool to try and permanently separate the heroes instead of trying to explain why anyone who was Kylo’s victim would find him attractive, because his priorities and interpretations were messed up.

18. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    JJ abrams already separated them at the end of TFA. probably so Rey could have her island training with yoda... i mean luke. so Rey could pop back up by the end of Empire... i mean TLJ. its basically just the formula being coped.

If this was the 1980s people would be so annoyed that Leia ended up with Han and not Luke. especially after ANH gave off the impression the primcess and the young Aladdin would get together.

19. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    People were annoyed about that in the 1980s. I remember it pretty well. I knew someone who was still mad about it in the early 00s.

Pretending Han is just as evil a character as Kylo is absurd though. The equivalent to Rey having crush on Kylo would be Leia having a crush on Tarkin. Even in the 80s, when behavior that we know to be immoral now was considered more acceptable, I don’t think that would have gone over well.

20. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Agreed. Although what @Daxon101 might've meant is that Finn and Rose are the ones who mirror Han and Leia.
    Rose wasn't in TFA, so it's not an exact duplicate of the preceding trilogy, but within the context of comparing TLJ to TESB, those two stories are each other's counterparts.
    If Rey is Luke, Finn is Leia/Han. And Rose + Poe is Han/Leia.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2021
  21. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    Rose is an awful character, IMO, which is a real shame because Star Wars needs more female leads in the live action films. Everything from her basically being on point to taser anyone going near an escape pod (WTF?), to her preachy nonsense on Canto Bight, to effectively scuttling Finn's effort to destroy 'Death Star tech' on Crait (why do the young females in TROS have to be shown as fawning over the men?). I would have liked to have seen her brought back for TROS in a more significant way, just to allow the actor to give a middle finger to the internet trolls, but I guess Abrams just thought the character didn't warrant further use.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2021
    Jedi_Fenrir767 likes this.
  22. QUIGONMIKE

QUIGONMIKE Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 5, 2009
    She was simply a bad character involved in bad subplots. I just watched TLJ last night and if you remove Canto Bight & the Rose stuff..... you make that film freeging epic. Instead, its just good. Its not KMTs fault. Its the writing teams fault, clearly. The tasering bit got things off on the wrong foot. Then, Canto Barf. OMG. Then, she wrecks Fins amazing sacrifice which would have sucked for fans of Finn(me), but it would have been a terrific scene that had so much tension built up. Instead, we get the soap-opera "save what we love" nonsense.

As a whole, SW has done fairly well with strong female characters, IMO. Leia was awesome and didnt take any crap. And that was in 1977! Padme was also great although I get why her death and lack of a good explanation bothers some. Holdo, despite her short tenure on screen showed brilliant leadership & a set of "balls" too. Rey was a little too good but still.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2021
  23. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    Got around to watching Raya and the Last Dragon on Disney +. I am really impressed with KMT's voice acting. She conveys a lot of emotion and humor. Nice to see her working with Disney again after Star Wars.

Def Trooper, Shadao, 2Cleva and 3 others like this.
  24. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    KMT was never the problem with Rose - and in many ways, she was the only real asset the character had.

A lesser actress would have more easily exposed how trite and utilitarian the storyline is when she’s around. KMT almost covers it up, especially in her first exchange with Boyega, before the script slowly reassert itself in rendering both their talents and their chemistry useless.

25. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    Agreed. I really don't like Rose in TLJ, but that has little to do with the actor, and is much more to do with issues in the script...