main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One [Rumor] Spin Off casting has begun.

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by newdawn12, Jan 20, 2015.

1. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    At the risk of contributing to the off-topicness:

I'd be cool with Chris Pratt being Indy...

Only thing that doesn't seem right to me is that by the time any IJ film would be in production, he'd be just as old as Ford was in the first two IJ films. So a "young Indy" doesn't really seem feasible, since Pratt would be too old for that role. I SUPPOSE they could try and pass him off as younger (by a few years, maybe) but it could be a bit of a stretch.

This expectation of Pratt as Indy is kinda just like everyone expecting Bryan Cranston to be Lex Luthor in the upcoming Justice League movies, just because he was bald in Breaking Bad...Too obvious of a choice, IMO. I would enjoy it of course, but still-I'd prefer they used some other actor-an unknown that looks like him, can capture his mannerisms, but most of all: is younger.

2. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009
    There has no movement on other casting.

Perhaps Jones isn't the "female lead" as was being said, but the actual lead.

That would be very cool. ;)

DARTH_BELO

Young Indy? No.

A post-Raiders Indy is a yes.

How so?

3. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009
    I'm very surprised that so many people think that the the spinoffs will be Young Solo, young Leia, Obi-Wan, Yoda, etc.

Kathleen Kennedy said "... this new slate of movies that reach beyond the core characters and storylines of Episodes I through IX".

That was a press statement not an off the cuff remark to misdirect people or avoid getting into a Q&A about a movie.

It is pretty clear that the spinoffs will NOT be about any of the main characters.

Myself, I think that the spinoffs will be Sequel era stories. I believe Lucasfilm and Disney are going for the "shared universe" approach.

It may be inspired by Marvel, but mainly it is because the Sequels (while Abrams will put his own mark on them) will look and feel like like the movies that have gone before, e.g. the transition wipes, cinematography, story structure and the spinoffs are an opportunity to put a different spin (pun intended) on the franchise.

I think that would be best achieved by building on the new future that the ST era will open up, for example, why do a Fett movie rather than create a new character who is hindeed by fan expectations?

4. DARTH_BELO

Nov 25, 2003
    By "post-Raiders Indy," do you mean like IJ films that take place between Raiders and Last Crusade? (I wouldn't imagine you mean after LC, as Pratt wouldn't be old enough for several years to do that timeframe.)

At any rate, although I really like Chris Pratt (followed him since his early Parks and Rec days), I honestly feel there's other better candidates out there that would be a naturally much better, less forced match to represent Indiana's mannerisms, voice, looks etc.

5. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009
    No, Pratt is the right age to play Indy in the pre-WWII era of Raiders and the rest. Pratt is 35, Indy was born in 1899. Ford was older than Indy was. ;)

Pratt is perfect because he wouldn't have to forced to get the look (check out that photo) and the mannerism, personality... well that is what actors do, pretend they are someone else.

DARTH_BELO likes this.
  6. DARTH_BELO

Nov 25, 2003
    I know, I'm just saying that some actors can accomplish that for a specific character better than others, and I have a thought that there might be someone who might be able to capture that mannerism better than Chris Pratt. As far as his looks, I agree that he could do well as a lookalike (apart from the hair.) But looks aren't enough IMO-the mannerisms are really the big part. Good accomplishments of this would be several of the actors in the new Star Trek movies, and of course Ewan as Obi-Wan.

I suppose I would be more convinced if I saw Pratt do an imitation of IJ or Harrison Ford or something. As it is, I can't imagine him doing that growling, angry finger point that is such a trademark of Ford's. Ford has a "gruffness" about him, just in his nature. Pratt doesn't. But if Pratt can do that, and maintain it throughout a whole film, I'm all in! ;)

7. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009
    To be honest, I roll eyes and "tutted" at every name put forward over the years, but when I saw the suggestion of Pratt ... it just seemed right. Stuff like hair and things don't matter - Chris Pine's eyes are a different colour to Shatner. Those are minor details.

Again, that is what actors do ... plus he has to put his own spin on it too.

8. DARTH_BELO

Nov 25, 2003
    I guess that's just where we differ...See, I feel that if he's replacing another actor's portrayal of a character (at the same age/time period), it should look and feel just like the character we've seen and loved for continuity reasons, not made different just for the sake of it.

Guess we'll just have to wait and see. It's definately made me more excited for another IJ film! :)

9. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009

Agreed, it should be made different just for the sake of it, nor be the same just for the sake of it.

As to continuity, it never hurt Bond that there was little continuity between the movies, let alone between the Bonds themselves.

While I would before that recast of Indy stayed in the continuity, the possibilities of each Indy being just his own Indy, like each 007 is just his own 007, should not be dismissed.

10. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    I think Ewan McGregor playing Obi-Wan is the perfect example of what works with actors taking over roles. He mechanically learned some of Alec Guiness's mannerisms, vocal and physical, and then played the part with sincerity and heart to make it his own.

11. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009
    Shouldn't Felicity Jones get her own thread now?

12. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Yes, she can have her own thread, go ahead and make it if you want.

13. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
  14. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
  15. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    I wish the title of this thread could be "Begun, the Spin Off casting has."

whostheBossk likes this.