main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT RYL - PT Social Thread: Shelbyville

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by cubman987 , Jun 4, 2020.

?

What are the best kind of pants?

1. Cargo

10.7%
  2. Sweat/Athletic/Yoga

21.4%
  3. Jeans

50.0%
  4. Parachute

3.6%
  5. Zubaz

3.6%
  6. Chinos

3.6%
  7. Bell Bottoms

7.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
  2. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Like I can barely breathe out of my nose anymore

3. Iron_lord

Iron_lord 26X Wacky Wednesday/23x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 2, 2012
  4. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Nice new poll

IHeartKenobi89 and Iron_lord like this.
  5. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
  6. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    I've been on that ride :D Went in 2007 I think, or might have been 2009 (we went to Disneyland twice). It was very shaky and not all that comfortable to ride honestly, gave us all headaches :p

7. darkspine10

Dec 7, 2014
    [​IMG]

Oh well, it can't get much worse than the 'zombified' crew in 4, where they pretty much just gave up on making them look in any way cool ;)

8. darkspine10

Dec 7, 2014
    That's nothing, @WriterintheDark's been playing through the recent Tomb Raider games and the amount of times Lara Croft bashes an ancient wall down is staggering ;) Plus Shadow of the Tomb Raider so far has a script messier than all of the Pirates films combined, with flimsy plot logic and so much nonsense.

But hey, gameplay's fun :p

9. darkspine10

Dec 7, 2014
    Alright, POTC 5 time, let's end this ;)

10. Ananta Chetan

Ananta Chetan Force Ghost star 5

Aug 11, 2013
    [​IMG]

I promise I didn't go looking for this. It found me. :p

@Pensivia

11. El Jedi Colombiano

El Jedi Colombiano Chosen One star 6

Jun 24, 2013
    Is the horse a striker or a winger? :p

IHeartKenobi89 and Ananta Chetan like this.
  12. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
  13. darkspine10

Dec 7, 2014
    And that's Salazar's Revenge/Dead Men Tell No Tales (I think the first title's better, snappier and is less easy to confuse with the second movie :p). I actually thought it was a step up from the fourth film, not quite on the level of the orignial trilogy but a decent showing at least.

Having a bigger supporting cast including returning faces from the old films helps out, makes feel better linked to the old ones. Barbossa is his usual awesome OTT self, though sad to see him finally go out in a blaze of glory. Carina works a lot better than Angelica, I like the astronomer angle to her character and her connection to Barbossa that gave him some interesting development too. Plus Henry's miles ahead of 'random missionary love interest' whose name I didn't even catch in On Stranger Tides ;) Just overall the plot was better. OST was too much of a mcguffin hunt with Jack being led around at random, whereas here he had some more agency again.

Orlando Bloom was pretty much in the Luke in TFA role though, only two scenes and he didn't do all that much ;) Kinda wish he'd factored into the climax somehow.

The first two big setpieces, the towed bank and gallows rescue, were both a lot of fun, though I feel like for better pacing you could merge them perhaps, the first act did feel a bit overlong.

Yeah, it's immortal pirates again. They can't step on land like Davy Jones and they want to end their curse like the skeleton pirates. I kinda like their look though, frozen in the moment of death in disconnected parts, though again, kinda familiar. I actually quite liked how they did a scene running on top of the water, was a nice twist compared to walking under the water in the first film, and the unfolding broken ship. Zombie sharks are cool too :) But maybe if they ever make another POTC they could find something more interesting for the mythical element ;) And Salazar's no patch on Barbossa or Jones, though he had a better motivation and look that Blackbeard.

Some nice bonkers moments too, like the whalebone wedding or the Black Pearl slowly growing or the giant wooden figurehead coming to life, I like when these films go a bit more crazy :p The Island of Stars leading to Poseidon's parted sea tomb was a cool visual flourish as well, closer to At World's Ends audacity than OST's blandness.

Overall I still think the series was best in At World's End, and neither follow-up quite managed to justify itself. OST sort of tried to chart out in a newish course, but was kinda bland, where SR/DMTNT is more effective about connecting to the past. I suppose it's hard to really challenge such a large-scale and conclusive climax like the third movie's though.

So, ranking would be 3>1>2>5>4 :) One film I really loved, and 4 ranging from decent to very good. What did other folks think of film 5, I have no idea what people say about it really ;)

14. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
  15. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
  16. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
  17. s_heffley

s_heffley Chosen One star 7

Jun 7, 2015
    I really enjoyed it, but I liked the fourth one as well, so what do I know :p

I think At Worlds End is the only one Pirates film I’m really unsure about, I need to watch it again though cause I know you and like two other people here absolutely love it, so :p

18. darkspine10

Dec 7, 2014
    [​IMG]

:)

19. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
  20. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
  21. Iron_lord