main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT RYL - the PT Social Thread - Certified Fresh Edition

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Seagoat, Apr 3, 2022.

?

When should we have a new RYL Thread?

1. Now

28.6%
  2. Never

19.0%
  3. February 29th

23.8%
  4. Beginning of March

14.3%
  5. Beginning of March but March 2024

14.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Huttese 101

Huttese 101 Sam Witwer Enthusiast star 7

Jan 19, 2016
    I don't have a strong preference for any of it

I saw a post on Instagram where somebody was asking people to vote for the better of two albums from 1967 and it was Sgt. Pepper's and Piper at the Gates of Dawn, and it actually made me mad. I was like Piper at the Gates of Dawn is underrated at best. Dark Side of the Moon can go head-to-head with Sgt. Pepper's but not the other. Lots of people were saying Sgt. Pepper's is overrated and Revolver and Abbey Road are better, and I was like, I agree, but still...

Last edited: Aug 25, 2022
  2. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    he had 19 top ten hits after the army. 4, in his first year. Stuck on You, It's Now or Never, Are You Lonesome Tonight, Surrender.
    the issue was he sang mostly ballads, so they didn't care for that. Just last lear McCartney repeated what Lennon said earlier 'Elvis died when he went in the army'

3. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    As far as uppity remarks from Lennon are concerned that's just the tip of the iceberg. Check out his comments in the 1970 Rolling Stone interview, or his 1980 interview in Playboy. These have been published in book format, so need to track down the magazines lol.

He demolishes many of his own songs calling them garbage, rubbish, and so forth.

Paul said that John would often say things he didn't really mean.
    He gave an example, if you smacked John in the mouth and said "Did that hurt?", he would say "No, it didn't."
    But you knew it did. These interviews are on YT. Lennon talked trash depending on his mood, just like Michael Jordan did and many other highly skilled people.

He was extremely critical about his own songs and his own voice and lyrics.

My takeaway with JL is, take his uppity comments with a grain of salt.
    Plus, especially in 1970, when he did that Rolling Stone interview, he was in withdrawal. The guy used substances through most of his life and he was obviously very angry and opinionated at times.

He loved Elvis. And Paul. And Ringo and George. The other Beatles knew John could be acidic and they loved him anyway.

He also was very sweet and tender and all of the other threetles have mentioned that.

4. JEDI-RISING

Apr 15, 2005
    he went to see Elvis in the 70s and he even wore an Elvis t shirt during that time, my only take away that it was odd was that the Beatles own music changed. i'd say by 66' their music didn't really sound much like rock n' roll anymore.
    George funnily remarked that when he met Elvis backstage at madison square garden he reminded him of Vishnu in his white outfit. He said Elvis should have just gone onstage in blue jeans, but that would never have happened

5. Huttese 101

Jan 19, 2016
    Well in that case I don't think McCartney has much room to talk. McCartney does have an advantage over Elvis in that he wrote his own hits, but most of his top 10 hits post-Let It Be were similarly ballad-y or run-of-the-mill pop-rock. And then Paul McCartney even did songs for movies too (Spies Like Us)!

And Ringo... maybe he was more experimental but he still covered oldies (peaches and cream lips like strawberry wine whatever it's called) just like Elvis made a post-Army career doing (Blue Hawaii was originally recorded by Bing Crosby in the '30s).

I like all of it. But it seems unnecessarily judgmental on their part.

Lady_Belligerent likes this.
  6. JEDI-RISING

Apr 15, 2005
    that's what happens when you never want your heroes to change. that's all it comes down to.

7. Huttese 101

Jan 19, 2016
    Maybe he was just tripping balls and thought Elvis had multiple arms

8. JEDI-RISING

Apr 15, 2005
  9. Huttese 101

Jan 19, 2016
    Oh, I don't know. That definitely sounds like something Sinatra would say behind the scenes, based on what little I've read about him. He was mobby. We're lucky he didn't threaten to put Lennon in the ground. And yes, that kind of casual racism sounds like it would have been common in the '60s.

Dagobahsystem likes this.
  10. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    All I know is that the Fab Fatniks as Lennon once called them, worshipped Elvis Presley in the 1950s.
    They adored him.

Lennon thought of Buddy Holly like a deity, I think. I know his school friends say he ditched school and was heartbroken when Buddy died and they couldn't even find him.

Little Richard, Chuck Berry, Eddie Cochran, Roy Orbison, Jerry Lee Lewis, Bill Haley, Gene Vincent, Everly Brothers, Big Bill Broonzy, Smokey Robinson, Martha and the Vandellas, Carl Perkins, Elvis Presley, The Isley Brothers, jazz standards, musical theater ballads, and many American Blues artists, the list goes on and on; The Beatles adored these people. Truly.

One thing you can say about The Beatles, like them or not, they were always up front and honest about acknowledging their influences.
    And they absorbed and made their own Liverpudlian sound out of it and the rest is history.

John Lennon could be a trash talker, even about himself. But he was a genius songwriter and lyricist. RIP.

Peace and love.

Huttese 101 and Emperor Ferus like this.
  11. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    heh, i was up at 4 30 myself so I win this round, Fett...

[​IMG]

12. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    [​IMG]

13. PCCViking

PCCViking 8X Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014
  14. Jedi Bluth

Jedi Bluth Shelf of Shame Winner star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 4, 2021