main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Sara Douglass's books

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by NYCitygurl, Jan 6, 2006.

1. Handmaiden Yané

Handmaiden Yané Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2002
    I guess people can't like everything you like. :( It's a pity, really, because if you felt the way I feel about them...you wouldn't be calling it boring. Please, please, finish the series though.

I gobble up books. It takes me a day to read Douglass and Haydon books, as well as a variety of many other books.

Also, I absolutely love the cover art for the American verison of Douglass's books. The artist is Royo, and he seems to do a lot of art for fantasy book covers. He does Haydon's too, coincidentally.

This brings up a question:

Is the girl on the cover of Wayfarer Azhure or Faraday? It looks more like Azhure, but I can't recall Azhure ever going down into the Barrows...at least not in that book. But it's too warriorlike to be Faraday, even if she did go down there....

2. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

Oh, I will finish it, Handmaiden. ;) Nice covers too. Keira Knightly's twin?

3. Master_Keralys

Master_Keralys VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 8, 2003
    Certainly Faraday. Side note: none of the American covers depict actual events from the books - they're events that are modified in some way. The point where Faraday was looking down into the Well of Stars or whatever it was called (it's been about 8-10 months since I read them), she didn't have the rest of the people shown behind her with her. She was with an entirely different group of people. The covers have good design, but they seem largely focused on showing the women with their flawless bodies in all-too-revealing clothing. Not my idea of the best covers.

- Keralys

4. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    You're right, Axis isn't good enough for Faraday, but she loves him and she's alnoe at the end--and at the end of the first trilogy, she's a DEER!!

Hayden is okay; I've read her first 4 Rhapsody books and keep meaning to read the others.

I've always thought it was Faraday, just because Azhure never went down there . . . and because I don't like Azhure and I do like Faraday, so it want it to be her :p

5. Handmaiden Yané

Handmaiden Yané Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2002
    It's my suspicion that it's Faraday too. Royo draws amazingly beautiful women, but yeah...I wish he'd put clothes on Faraday since it's more her character. I love Faraday in the second half of the trilogy though...she's so awesome. I just wish she wasn't so bitter. :(

I love both Faraday and Azhure equally, but I think that somehow the Tencendorians didn't really remember Faraday as they should have so I like her more.

6. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I used to like her, until she got together with Axis. I decided that I don't like him, because of the way he treated Faraday. She did so much to have him, and in the end she couldn't :( In the end she became a deer.

7. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Have you read the Wayfarer books (Sinner, Pilgrim, Crusader)? Faraday's story isn't over :)

8. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Yeah, I know. I've read the first of the three; the other two aren't out in the US yet.

9. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002

You'll be pleased to know I've returned to Symphony of Time: Prophecy, Handmaiden. :p

I should be reading Midnight Tides but I stopped in midtrilogy and might as well get it over with. Forgive me, Erikson. [face_praying]. I don't know why Hayden keeps saying Rhaps is so beautiful and fair and humble, and how all this got past editors. The plot is glacial and she keeps repeating the same legends and stories, as though you'd forget, but I'll see this to the end at the very least. The writing can be rich and flavoured at times, and I'm interested in what becomes of Ashe, but it's pretty obvious they're going to marry eventually, I'll bet.

I still think the books I've read so far are seriously generic, but you can learn a lot from something you don't like. I'm weird . . . :p

10. Teegirloo

Teegirloo Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 26, 2005
    Well you can always get it online from Australia which is what i did.

11. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Yeah, I got her Crucible trilogy from Australia, and it was really expensive. Like, $60 buck. My mom was not pleased that I was spending so much on paperbacks.

12. Teegirloo

Teegirloo Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 26, 2005
    Yeah thats the drawback and the shipping and handling it outrageous.

13. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002

Hey, what do you think $20 paperbacks are like for us? [face_laugh]

14. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    They weren't $20 to begin with, it was the outragous shipping fees :(

15. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002

That, and our current 75c exchange rate. I empathise. Her books are not available domestically?

16. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Most are, but some of the newer ones, like two of the second Axis trilogy, haven't been released yet. I think one of the Crucible books has yet to come out, as well.

17. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002

I've seen so many of her books at stores I am tempted to try one, it's just that her storylines are not for me. I like her candid site. Authors often write how they talk, and it can give me a gist of what to expect. One of her books was young adult, she said. I must watch out to avoid it. The quarry miner one?

18. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I think so, Beyond the Hanging Wall. It's the only thing of hers i haven't read. But if you're interested in some of her stuff, Threshhold or what in the US is called The Wayfarer Redemption and in other places is (I think) called BattleAxe are both very good books, nad good places to get into her stuff.

19. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    Excellence, given your taste in books, I'd suggest skipping pretty much everything she wrote before the start of the Troy Game series. As I said above in response to Mastadge, her earlier stuff was a bit more "young adult" while this series is definitely an adult book.

20. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I agree, the Troy Game books are pretty adult, but I wouldn't say that her other stuff is for a young audience.

21. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    The fifth book in the Wayfarer Redemption series came out, but I wasn't able to get through it. Too depressing and confusing :(

I think the 6th one comes out next year, so when it does I'll read them all again in hopes of remembering who did what better.

I'm also really excited for the release of the fourth book in the Troy Game series. I'm dying to know what happens to all the characters!!

22. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002

The Troy Game tetralogy, you say? I'll look into the first . . .

23. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    I picked up Hade's Daughter (Troy Game 1) for $5 at a book clearance sale. It's very good; the series improves with the later books though.

24. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    The second of those was my favorite. The third got a bit confusing.

25. khallandra

khallandra Jedi Youngling

Nov 16, 2004
    I love Sara Douglass - especially The Troy Game series - it was written really well - I'm not such a big fan of Axis and Wayfarer but The Crucible series I liked as well.

Beyond the Hanging Wall isn't too bad, but I really enjoyed Threshold the most (after The Troy Game ones).