main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Memph, TN ShadowCon VIII- SW RPG?

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by Dork-Vader, Aug 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Star_Blazer_M31

Star_Blazer_M31 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 21, 2003
    I heard from Joy that Shadowcon was great. I had planned on going, but lack of $$$ prevented me. Plus, my Matrix "Twins" costume hasn't even left the pattern yet. :_|

*sigh* When I think of the two cons I plan on attending this year, I get panicky. I have three costumes to make and pretty much no time to make them. Not to mention that there are a few technical aspects of sewing I have yet to master.

Oy.

I can't wait to see you guys at DSC/MSC! Kick the 501st's @$$!!

-Darth Grace*

2. Qui-Gon Tim

Qui-Gon Tim Memphis, TN FanForce Chapter Rep star 5

Apr 1, 2000
    Grace: Nice to hear from you. Don't wait around until MSC to see us again, OK? I know what you mean about the costume thing. I have a few I'd love to do before then, but it's doubtful I'll even get started. I do want to be done before Celebration III, though.

Michael: Thanks for the email you sent. I emailed the reporter tonight. Hopefully I'll hear something soon. I appreciate that you thought of us and included us.

I was thinking about my suggestion about using Raleigh Springs Mall as a possible Con location when I was there this morning. I did realize today that I was overlooking the obvious logistics of the situation, and that it admittedly was a dumb idea.

3. Mkingsley

Mkingsley Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 5, 2003
    Anyway, what kind of help is the con looking for?

What other kind of + and - feedback are you getting on the past cons?

Primarily, the negative feedback I've been hearing is due to the time it takes for at-the-door registration. I think that one of the volunteers at the PC is not too quick with the keyboard. Also (and I've guilty of this myself) there's a bit of the ol' Peter Principle involved regarding anything computer-related.
    The Peter Principle: In an organization, individuals tend to reach a level of responsibility at least one level above that at which they can function competently.
    People are actually quite competent graphic artists or very HTML-savvy, but when it comes to such stuff as networking two PCs together for the first time, well...., maybe at-the-door registration at MSC isn't the best venue.

As far as help, a lot of volunteer effort is needed for setting up the art show, running the con suite, and registration. Also, our St. Jude liason was going thru a divorce last year, and basically dropped the ball. By the time the rest of the committee realized it, it was alreadt too late, as St. Jude needs at least 10 days advance time. If someone at SMT wants to take that and run with it, that would be great.

Regarding hotel venues, I haven't looked at the available choices, but the ones who have investigated hotels in the area have told me that there are 3 main choices to hold an MSC (based on the function space that is needed): Peabody Hotel, Holiday Inn Select at the Airport, and Park Vista Hotel (formerly the Adam's Mark). Preferably, I would want to hold it at the Peabody downtown, but I think that pricing for the ballroom space made the committee choose the airport location. Not sure what function space at Park Vista is like. The Days Inn used for Shadowcon had a good setup, from what I hear, but the available lodging capacity was too small to hold a MSC.

4. Dork-Vader

Dork-Vader Star Wars Sketch Card Artist star 4 VIP

May 14, 2003
    Tim:Not stupid, just more expensive than any of us could afford to do!

After dealing with the haunt and all the deposits, inspections, and such it would be A LOT easier to just use a hotel. That was why I had run the idea of an event center past the RMH- they could rent out the space and cover the note.

Michael: Contacted DarkHorse about some goodies for the con. I'll let youknow what they say. They do Star Wars and some new fantasy and horror stuff, so could be cool. Eric Powell, the artist of one of their new hot books The Goon lives outside of Nashville. Don't know what his schedule is like for this year, but he would be a great guest for next. Oh, and their Hellboy movie is coming out soon.

Grace: Good luck with the move. I'll have to go check out your pic. Oh, the 501st were actually a lot of fun this weekend at ShadowCon! It was good to see Chuck there in his trooper armor- his schedule has been nuts at work, and usually doesn't get weekends off. They're all looking forward to coming back this spring to MSC/DSC. Tim's working on a Jedi costume for me- it's looking SWEEEEEET! I got my Vader Master Replica lightsaber around Christmas. I need to get some new boots, or make shin armor- Tim has an idea on that. Would love to see the Matrix twin costume!

Lin

5. kellilla

kellilla Jedi Master star 2

Sep 4, 2002
    Man, I should have gone, it sounds like you guys had fun. I got a major case of laziness Friday night that didn't end until I had to get up and go to work monday :] drat.

6. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    Then you've got to make it to MSC/DSC!

7. Smokem_Alien

Smokem_Alien Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 2, 2002
    I just got a booklet about MSC in the mail. I need to start saving up for it.

-Tim

8. Mkingsley

Mkingsley Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 5, 2003
    Lin Regarding Eric Powell, I tried contacting him for the 2003 MSC, but he had other commitments. I'll prompt Carlin to try for 2004, as he has been taking the helm for contacting comics-related guests.

And I like The Goon a lot. The humor in that comic book is simply ... sick.

9. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    Cool- I emailed and asked Eric if he knew who to cantact at Dark Horse about promos. The addy he gave me bounced back. I tried their general contact email address, as well as two of my buds who work there.

Eric would be a great guest- his cover paitings ROCK, and he's on the outskirts of Nashville. I'd love to see Mike Norton come back to town for a show. He lived here for awhile a couple years ago before moving to Chi-town. Maybe next year- he and Eric are good friends, and may know some other artists/writers that might want to come. A bunch of them were hitting the small press shows together.

I'm still trying to contact a few other folks. I'll keep you updated.

Lin

10. skip1

skip1 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 13, 2002
    if you need to reach eric try calling
    "outer limits comics"
    its a comic book shop here in nashville.the owner "marc ballard" is friends with eric and could possibly get you in touch with him.
    when you call marc tell him skip with the 501st sent you.he knows us well and should be able to get you in touch with eric.
    check out this link for the number
    www.chillercinema.com

skip

11. Star_Blazer_M31

Star_Blazer_M31 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 21, 2003
    DAAAHH!! I completely forgot about Celebration III!! I still need to make my Darth Maul costume for that! AAAHH!! *passes out*

Sewing...so much sewing...needles...needles everywhere! They're all around me! THEY'RE ALL AROUND ME!!!

-Darth Grace*

12. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    That's why we need to start having some costume meetings!

13. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    Tim:Amen! I had a blast the two times you, Sal, and I got together to work on them. Let me know if you want to get together any this weekend or next week. I'm pretty free this month.

Skip:I emailed Eric about the con and all. He's a friend of a friend. Never been to that comic shop- usually hit the Great Escape when I'm in/passing thru Nashville. Thanks for the info.

Mike:I contacted Dana (and got my art show letter in the mail) yesterday about helping to set up. Looking forward to the meet/greet party on Friday night.

Back to your earlier post- yeah, registration was a bit slow, and I know they had some computer problems- but it wasn't so bad as to turn me off from comong this year. ShadowCon had a bad problem of nobody knowing when anything was going to happen, and not having anyone there to open or start registration on time. I actually went by at 10am, noon, and 3:30pm before being able to get in.

I was pleased to be able to go to some panels I was interested in. I hope to see more Star Wars, horror, SPFX, and comics in the con.

I'd love to see the con hold a model kit contest/show. I know there are PLENTY of kits out there to cover ANY genre! I've taken some of mine to Wonderfest, and have a BIG Vader kit i'd like to have ready for this year or next.

Lin

14. TK-6873

TK-6873 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 17, 2003
    I had a great time at ShadowCon. Star Wars fans shouldn't be stand-off-ish of any con just because its not sci-fi in origin. Look at what DragonCon has become. It started as a SCA/RPC con waaaaay back when. Now it has EVERYTHING.
    I would also like to see model/prop builders at some of the cons. May just have to set up a table to get the ball rolling.
    Hope to see more FF members at MSC/DSC. Love coming to Memphis.

15. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    Glad to hear it- we love having you guys- and gals!

Yeah, some more prop and model building would be great. At Wonderfest they had a guy do an entire room of his Star Trek ship models. They ranged from a few inches to several feet in length, and these things looked better than the originals!

I enjoyed the 501st's panel on prop building at last year's MSC. It was cool to see a lot of the props up close, and to see all the different types of materials that were used. I also had a great time at the SPFX one as well.

I agree about attending the cons. If you don't go then there was one less person there that likes the same things you do! I think sci-fi is a VERY broad genre and can bring together a lot of diferent types of fans. I mean look at the MSC as it is and has been- sci-fi and fantasy authors/artists, SCA folks, science guests, Trekkies, some sci-fi actors, comic artists/writers, gamers, VAMPIRES and more. There's plenty of room for fans of movies/books/comics like Star Wars, Ghostbustes, Aliens, Harry Potter. Lord Of The Rings, etc.- TV shows like Space 1999, Lost In Space, Twilight Zone, Bufy or horror fans who like Universal monsters or slasher flicks and SPFX. If there's not enough room you just expand or move it to a bigger location!

Lin

16. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    Hey gang- got some of my shots back from ShadowCon. I showed 'em to Tim, Trace, and Rhonda this weekend. I found another roll hiding in my camera bag and dropped it off to get developed. I'll pick them up tomorrow and will make picture disks for anyone who's interested.

BTW- If you get a chance, check out DragonCon's photo gallery from this past year. They had some SW, Star Trek, Stargate, and a lot of other sci-fi/tv guests- as well as a parade! LOTS of SW folks there, and I think I saw a shot or two of Kell!

Lin

17. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    Got the final ShadowCon pics. I'll be making picture CD's today after work.

Lin

18. TK_1427

TK_1427 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 12, 2003
    Hey I had a blast at ShadowCon also. I didn't think it would be that great because it was SCA. But those guy are really great and alot of fun. I would definitely go again.

Chuck

19. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    Having the 501st around DID liven up things! Glad you guys came out. I may go and do the costume contest next year, but I won't set up a table. I may try and catch that anime con up in Nashville that hits about the same time, though...

Oh, Chuck, I've got a photo CD for you the next time I see ya, or shoot me a PM with your snail mail address and I'll drop one in the mail to you.

Lin

20. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    Skip: Photo cd's went out in the mail. You should get them any day now. Fell free to make copies for anyone who wants them and post any pics you want.

I emailed Joey for his snail mail address. I'll send him one as soon as I hear back from him.

Lin

21. Obi_J_Kenobi

Obi_J_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 15, 2002
    What's wrong with SCA folks? *quirks Brow*

22. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Nothing wrong with SCA people. Anybody that carries midieval weapons is OK in my book.

23. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    Nothing wrong with SCA people. Anybody that carries midieval weapons is OK in my book.

And uses deodorant! There was one or two that could knock a fly off a shat-wagon!

Seriously, I've got a lot of SCA friends- well, ok, a few!

24. Obi_J_Kenobi

Obi_J_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 15, 2002
    :) heh...kinda gamy

25. Smokem_Alien

Smokem_Alien Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 2, 2002
    lol, yes there is a severe hygiene problem among the nerd community.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.