main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Shadows of a Past Long Forgotten (NJO- post Rebirth, tagged, Completed 12\30\02, *sniff*)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by padawan lunetta, Aug 15, 2001.

1. Jade_Skywalker

Jade_Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jun 16, 2000
    Get up there, darn you! ;)

2. padawan lunetta

padawan lunetta Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 1999
  3. padawan lunetta

May 15, 1999
    Whoops... :eek: ;)

One week later
    Mantooine

It was cold, dark, and his head hurt like it'd been repeatedly pounded by a wookie. He must have slept for hours - days probably - for he could remember few waking moments before the darkness claimed him again. No longer in a ship, he could feel no movement beneath his body. The Force was blocked from him, giving him no connection to his family, or to the outside world. There was no fear. Monsters like Valdemar would sense it. No need to give him the satisfaction. Since he was allowed to stay awake, that meant Valdemar would soon be coming.

Corran Horn stretched on the stiff cot he had been placed on, pulling on the restraints that had been placed on his wrists. His feet had been left unbound - a possible fatal mistake on Valdemar's part? - but Corran didn't think he was that stupid. Slowly and painfully, he opened his eyes, blinking against the soft light of his cell. Glancing up, he noticed a caged ysalamiri hanging from the ceiling. The creature looked down at him, moving so slowly he barely noticed it blink. Corran wondered why they weren't using the drug on him. Perhaps it was in limited supply?

There was a bucket that passed for a refresher in the corner across from his cot. Is that soft, blinking light above it a holocam? there were no buttons on his side of the door from which to try to bypass a code , and they certainly hadn't left his lightsaber with him. Corran sighed, realizing he'd have to wait until this Valdemar chose to approach him before he could make any escape plans. No doubt a rescue party was on its way, but he didn't want to make things any tougher for them.

Soon, he heard slow and precise footsteps coming down the corridor. Corran used his elbows to pull himself up into a sitting position, struggling to look as relaxed as possible with restraints on his arms. His cell door slid open, admitting a tall, apparently ageless man. His dark features and deep gray eyes no doubt could have attracted many women, if there had been any trace of warmth behind them. He clasped his hands behind his back, offering Corran a cold smile. "Welcome to my home, Jedi Master Corran Horn."

"How could I resist your invite?" Corran asked, injecting sarcasm into his tone.

"I must admit that it was rather persuasive," he said smoothly. "I am Valdemar."

"I know," Corran said, keeping his voice calm. "I am also aware that you are a changeling... why do you choose human form?"

"Because you are human, " Valdemar replied simply, offering no other explanation.

Corran didn't need one. If he had been a Hutt, Valdemar would have assumed Hutt form. Being among people of your own race often creates a sense of comfort and stability, unless you are being harmed by them. Then you feel betrayed, and are forced to see your own kind at its worst, perhaps even seeing a mirror image of yourself in their eyes. "What is it you have against the Jedi?" Corran asked.

"Nothing, Master Jedi," Valdemar answered, his face remaining an emotionless mask. "I simply find them to be fascinating." His dark gray eyes glittered. "They seek to suppress every natural emotion, but claim to serve life." He paused. "I choose only to embrace the necessary ones."

"Such as?" Corran asked, dreading the answer.

Valdemar's lips curled into a sick impression of a smile. "The thrill of a kill." He paused, closing his eyes for a moment. "The sweet sound of anguished screaming, made even sweeter knowing that I caused it."

Corran shook his head. "Why?"

"Why not?" Valdemar countered smoothly. "Because it is...wrong?" He raised an eyebrow. "Should my conscience warn me against it?"

Spreading his hands as best he could in his restraints, Corran replied, "You tell me."

"Nice tactic." Valdemar appraised. "Certainly deserving of an answer. You see, Master Jedi, I have come to observe that believing in a right or wrong places limi

4. Jade_Skywalker

Jade_Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jun 16, 2000
    Okay, let's try it again! ;)

5. TheBiggerFish

TheBiggerFish Jedi Master star 4

Mar 26, 2001
    *shudders* I hate it when the bad guys argues so well you can't argue back. You know in your gut what he's saying is wrong, but you can't for the life of you explain why.

Well done! I can't wait for more!

6. Sarah_K

Sarah_K Jedi Master star 4

Jun 10, 2001
    *gets a sinking feeling that proceeds to pull her directly through the floor of the thread* Ohno-ohno-ohno-- *disappears completely* *THUD*

*comes up the stairs and back through the thread door, rubbing her back* Ouch. And why do I suspect even more than your standard 'ouch' is in store for our favorite intrepid Jedi?? ACK!

Have I ever told you that I dislike cliffies? Like, A LOT. They have the unfortunate affect of making you so very frustrated that you wish you could *leave*, at the very moment when you most want to stay!! Result? You find yourself hanging around the fic in question like a starved puppy, making dewy faces at the author and begging for more! Does this sound good to you??

*realizes it's the author that she's been talking to* Never mind. I'll just suffer in silence. :p

Great job on Corran's thought process, and his talk with Valdemar! The discussion of wrong and right there, as well as the extra details about the old Jedi vs. the new, and Corran not wanting to kill any one in front of Jysella deserve a solid A+, not to mention a round of applause. *fills in applause*

So, more soon? PLEASE? *pulls dewy look and then slaps herself* Here I go... And what do you want to bet this particular brand of cliffie will be nothing by the time we're done...? *sigh* ;)

Sarah >^,,^<

7. ROGUE_49

ROGUE_49 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 14, 2002
    You're [face_devil] Luney

-Rogue

8. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    good post, but an [face_devil] cliffhanger! You are bad! ;)

9. MariahJade2

MariahJade2 Former Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 5 VIP

Mar 18, 2001
    Yikes! You're scaring me Luney. ;) I really hate Sociopaths. You did an excellent job of displaying his utter lack of morals or conscience. Coran must feel pretty frustrated knowing that he's just a piece of bait for his apprentice. More, more, more. :D

10. Sebulba2179

Sebulba2179 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 5, 2002
    I hate to say it, but Valdemar had a point about the Old Jedi Order. This scene kinda reminded me of James Bond's laser-beam predicament in "Goldfinger." ;)

11. jade51999

jade51999 Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    Great As always....:)

I always love seening Corran..but Valdemear is one scary guy..

he wants to make her a part of his living collection? UGH!

12. Zara_Rose

Zara_Rose Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 23, 2002
    Methinks Sebulba has a point...very James Bond-esque. Melikes!

13. jedi_master_gimpy

jedi_master_gimpy Jedi Master star 4

Jan 12, 2000
    Yikes!!!! Valdemar is so evil, LunettaskippingstonesoffthroughthewindowofCorran'scelltryingtohisValdemaronthehead!!! He's scary. :eek:

I'm worried for poor Corran and Lukie and Lainey - there goes their element of surprise!!

14. jedi_master_gimpy

Jan 12, 2000
    um... hi again! ;)

15. jedi_master_gimpy

Jan 12, 2000
    Why isn't this derned thing upping?

16. TheBiggerFish

Mar 26, 2001
  17. Admiral_Lelila

Admiral_Lelila Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2001
    Very suspenseful.

Sorry that my post isn't longer but......

"Tis the season that The Real Life twins, "Darth" and "Delight" are taking up my time......

~Lelila~

18. padawan lunetta

May 15, 1999
    *sneaks in and ups*

19. DarthLothi

DarthLothi Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 4, 2001
    Luney, that may well be your best post on this story. Chilling argument, and you showed Valdemar at his creepy, amoral best.

Interesting argument - maybe you can incorporate the discussion we just had into this somewhere... ;)

20. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    You write such a nice Val. ;)

Your cliffhangers make me proud.

21. Lt_Jaina_Solo

Lt_Jaina_Solo Jedi Knight star 5

May 27, 2002
    awesome postie! can't wait for more!

22. TheBiggerFish

Mar 26, 2001
  23. LilSilverPhoenix

LilSilverPhoenix Jedi Youngling

Nov 23, 2002
    Stellar post Luney! Valamar was fantasticly characterized... sly, smart, cunning... darn him!

24. Sache8

Sache8 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2000
    Dang! Awesome last line your Luneyness! :)

25. TheBiggerFish

Mar 26, 2001
    UPPPPPPPPPPP :D