main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Should Count Dooku have been in The Phantom Menace?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by DarthTravis, Jun 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthKimball_III

DarthKimball_III Jedi Youngling

Apr 14, 2004
    This may just be rumor, but I heard Dooku is to be inserted on TPM DVD. Two short scenes, both after the death of Qui-Gon. One with Yoda, the other with Palpatine.

2. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    A rumor, definitely, but not definitely untrue.

Hudnall: Forget the kids argument. I can't speak for myself, since I knew before having seen AOTC that Dooku had the alias Darth Tyranus, but I don't think that you'd necessarily believe that this Dooku of whom we know almost nothing is a bad guy.
    Since he is just briefly discussed in the beginning and after that, noone even mentions his name for a long time, I think we are meant to think that he might not be a big character.
    In the beginning of the film, noone knows who is behind the assassination attempts. All we know is that a bounty hunter has been hired to perform them. Jango Fett is the new main villian until Obi-Wan discovers the Separatists on Geonosis.

Anyway, I think that if Dooku was added to TPM in a way that lets the audience know who he is, "the mysterious Count Dooku" would feel rather strange in the opening scroll for AOTC. It could be changed, of course.

3. Hudnall

Hudnall Jedi Youngling star 5

Feb 23, 2004
    Good point about the scroll. True. Very true. Even the use of the word "mysterious" is a sign what Lucas's intentions were - effective or not.

My own little fanboy idea: Even more than the funeral scene, I think it would be interesting if he had sat on the Jedi Council.

And even more intriguing, had he been present for the whole Anakin discussions and review. And even more interesting if Dooku went against Mace and Yoda openly about training the boy.

And then we learn later that the reason he left the Jedi was because the whole Qui-Gon/Naboo mess was the last straw.

whostheBossk likes this.
  4. Jedimancer

Jedimancer Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 16, 2004
    I think the Dooku thing works fine as is, but... Hmmm, I'm not sure whether or not I'd have wanted him in TPM. That idea of Hudnall's is intriguing....

5. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    Oh, definitely. It would've been quite a different experience to have Dooku in TPM as part of the council. We would probably have gotten a scene with him and Qui-Gon exchanging views on where the Jedi order was going.

whostheBossk likes this.
  6. Hudnall

Feb 23, 2004
    I admit - it is a silly fanboy theory. So if anyone feels the need to get in a potshot at me, for whatever reason ;) , here's your golden opportunity.

Outside Lee's solid performance in AOTC and his status as Qui-Gon's teacher, part of my interest in Dooku is he represents a way to tie these two movies closer together.

I just don't get the sense of continuity from TPM to AOTC as a I do from ANH to ESB to ROTJ. Not so much for TPM's sake, but AOTC could use whatever character and story development you can throw it. Perhaps III will solve that..... we'll see.

7. JediConsular-_-

JediConsular-_- Jedi Youngling

Jun 28, 2004
    We should of saw some fighting from my dog Yoda im telling u no one can beat that guy in a LightSaber Dual.

8. Scott3eyez

Scott3eyez Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 1, 2001
    >>>>I just don't get the sense of continuity from TPM to AOTC as a I do from ANH to ESB to ROTJ.

I don't think you're supposed to. The way I see it is that TPM stands on it's own as Act 1 of the saga. Then AOTC and Episode III will tie together as Act 2, and the OT will be Act 3. It's a pretty common structure to have the third act as long as the first two acts put together- it's got a name and everything (it's just that it temporarily escapes me...)

(Oddly, the OT used to be on track for fitting into the same structure, where ANH formed a stand alone act on it's own, wheras ESB and ROTJ needed one another to exist, and formed a second act twice as long as the first. Now, in the context of the 6 part saga, the long time gaps between 1&2 and 3&4 kind of push all three into a single act.)

9. sidious618

sidious618 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 20, 2003
    He should have been at the funeral. Furthermore he should have said something to Mace like "His death is your fault."

Perhaps not, though. Just a cameo in the funeral scene would be good.

10. brook_33

brook_33 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 2003
    dooku should have been in the council and at the funeral. only seen, unless he conflicts with yoda discussing the sith or anakin's training, then we find out who he is in aotc.

11. SaberGiiett7

SaberGiiett7 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 2, 2002
    It wasn't exactly imperative to have placed Count Dooku in The Phantom Menace, but it may have been a nice touch to the framework of the whole Prequel Trilogy.

He wasn't a member of the Jedi Council. I'm assuming that Count Dooku was away from the Jedi Tempple when the events of the Naboo blockade transpired; otherwise, he probably would have consulted with Qui-Gon Jinn.

More than likely (being that they're both mavericks), he probably would have agreed with the decision to defy the wishes of the Council and train Anakin Skywalker. [face_peace]

<[-]> Saber

12. sidious_onset

sidious_onset Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 27, 2003
    Dooku doesn't belong in TPM. There's enough going on in that episode already!

It's clear that the AOTC script tries to make Dooku like Harry Lime from The Third Man. The mysterious, charming, gray area-type bad guy that's introduced towards the end of the film. Problem is, GL and Jonathan Hales didn't build the character up enough.

I would be more satisfied if GL extended the Jedi library scene in AOTC rather than add anything to TPM.

13. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    I definitely agree that the extended portion of the library scene should have been left in AOTC. It could not have been too much longer, I don't think -- and would have taken care of a few questions from the average moviegoer.

14. Darth Pikachuwbacca

Darth Pikachuwbacca Jedi Master star 4

Jan 22, 2000
    Yeah, I think referring more to Dooku in the library would have been great. We could have gotten rid of Anakin and Padmé eating dinner for that scene.

Suppose this were to happen:
    As Qui-Gon's body burns, none of the other characters can see or sense Dooku standing 30 feet away in the hallway of the building's entrance. Dooku is there merely to confirm that his former Padawan is dead. Inwardly, he is furious. He is already mad about something the council has done (we presume), and Qui-Gon's death is the last straw. As the camera zooms in for a close-up of Dooku's reaction, his face stiffens. He then turns around and walks out of the building, and out of the Jedi Order, having never spoken a word. The camera is on Dooku for no more than twenty seconds.

I'll add to that, and say that as Dooku is walking away, have Palpatine turn his head to watch him leave. Then cut to Yoda and Mace: "There's no doubt... blah blah blah... the Master, or the apprentice?" Cut to the shot that pans over to Palpatine, go to the parade. So that COULD work. But I love the pacing of that funeral scene as it is. To me, I always thought that Dooku was displeased with the Jedi, got more upset when he lost Qui-Gon, but was even MORE upset that he wasn't invited to the funeral OR the parade. :p

Also, I heard that the idea that he was Qui-Gon's master wasn't added until much later. It wasn't in the original shooting script, that they added that fact when they added that scene with Dooku and Obi-Wan, which was late into production. Is that true?

15. Wrath_Mania

Wrath_Mania Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 9, 2004
    I believe so. In the original script, Dooku didn't aknowledge Obi-Wan till their duel in the hangar. Dooku said something along the lines of "Kenobi... isn't it?"

Maybe GL took out the library scene because it would have seemed odd that Jocasta Nu didn't mention to Obi-Wan that Dooku was Qui-Gon's master.

Someone should ask Pabs about that.

16. Hudnall

Feb 23, 2004
    That's a bloody shame. It's better the way originally written...

17. Scott3eyez

Aug 1, 2001
    >>>>>Maybe GL took out the library scene because it would have seemed odd that Jocasta Nu didn't mention to Obi-Wan that Dooku was Qui-Gon's master.

I'm not sure how accurate it is, but in a copy of the script I downloaded a long time ago, this is in the library scene;

OBI-WAN
    What happened?

JOCASTA NU
    Well, one might say, he was always
    a bit out of step with the
    decisions of the Council... much
    like your old Master, Qui-Gon Jinn.

OBI-WAN
    (surprised)
    Really?

JOCASTA NU
    Oh, yes. They were alike in many
    ways. Very individual thinkers...
    idealists...

whostheBossk likes this.
  18. Scott3eyez

Aug 1, 2001
    ...Which, I've just realised, says nothing about Dooku being Qui Gon's master...

Oops.

19. Hudnall

Feb 23, 2004
    I've got a running theory that the script doctors worsened the Lucas's original drafts more than they improved it...

20. GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN

GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN Jedi Master star 5

Jul 4, 2004
    Dooku shouldn't be in Episode I because it adds more mystery to Episode II and except maybe at the funeral scene what point would his role have.

21. darth-amedda

darth-amedda Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2003
    No.
    Why should he? Should Lando and Boba Fett be in ANH? Should Mon Mothma and Jabba be in ESB? Although having seen OT SE I can imagine GL reinserting Dooku in TPM as he exactly did with Jabba and Fett in Ep4. ;)

22. Obi_Jedi_2004

Obi_Jedi_2004 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 10, 2004
    Dooku should have been in episode 1 he should have died.
    It would be quite amazing though i Know he would put up a good fight.

23. CIDLORD

CIDLORD Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 6, 2001

I would have liked if Dooku was just mentioned in TPM, just like Jabba was (originally) just mentioned in ANH.

24. darth-amedda

darth-amedda Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2003
    ok, mentioned - makes sense

25. JediMasterJS

JediMasterJS Jedi Youngling

Jul 1, 2004
    No I don't think so because there was Darth Maul there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.