main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Should we try to follow the new suggested moderator promotion guidelines?

Discussion in 'Archive: Literature Poll forum' started by Gandalf the Grey, Sep 26, 2002.

?

Should we try to follow the new suggested moderator promotion guidelines?

Poll closed Mar 25, 2012.
  1. Yes, lets be the first.

65.4%
  2. No, the old way is better.

9.6%
  3. No opinion one way or another.

25.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    Sure. I think that the nominee should have been here for X months and have X posts.

2. MariahJade2

MariahJade2 Former Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 5 VIP

Mar 18, 2001
    I'm not trying to be a fly in the ointment here, honestly, but that kind of defeats the whole idea behind nominations doesn't it? I thought the experiment was to see if user recommendations would work? What if you don't agree with the candidates selected by the mods?

3. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    Well, I suppose we could have "I don't agree with any of these candidates" option.

4. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Okay... so what's the procedure going to be (new thread, immediately locked? something else?) and what's the timeframe going to be?

Inquiring minds want to know... :)

5. Jades Fire

Jades Fire Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 1998
    Well, I'm afraid that it will just come down to a popularity contest. Like most elections.

6. kowikan_monkey

kowikan_monkey Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 2, 2001
    I have a feeling that if we did try the new guidelines, then it wouldn't be a popularity contest. Plus, even if it is, does it really matter? The most popular people have been here the longest and have nearly the most posts. Think about it.

7. MariahJade2

MariahJade2 Former Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 5 VIP

Mar 18, 2001
    I have a feeling that if we did try the new guidelines, then it wouldn't be a popularity contest. Plus, even if it is, does it really matter? The most popular people have been here the longest and have nearly the most posts. Think about it.

I think it should be tried, if for no other reason than to have some facts to base future decisions on, but I do think it would matter if it turned into a popularity contest.

Popular doesn't necessarily = qualified.

Post count and registration date shouldn't mean more than maturity, fairness, and reliability.

8. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Post count and registration date shouldn't mean more than maturity, fairness, and reliability.

To MariahJade, you listen... yes? :)

Seriously though -- there are a lot of people with high post counts I've run into on some of the forums who are definitely not Mod material (whatever that is! :D) and there are some people with low post counts who's view I've come to respect and/or admire as well... if can go either way. :)

9. JediMasterAaron

JediMasterAaron Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 14, 2000
    Hmmmm. Gandolf's newer proposed method would seem to work the best I think. I like that one even more than the original one proposed in Lit. :)

JMA

10. Gandalf the Grey

May 14, 2000
    dp4m: Everyone on the ballot in method #2 would be moderator material in the minds of the moderators. We?d just give the choice of which fantastic member to promote to you guys.

Unfortunately, it doesn?t look good for being allowed to use the new ideas. Currently, voting in the Mod Squad has only 30% in favor of using Plan #2. I seem to be one of very few in support of the idea. :(

11. JediMasterAaron

Oct 14, 2000
    :(

[garthvoice] We fear change [/garthvoice]

Keep pushin Gandolf! It's for the best! :)

JMA

12. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    LOL, bit of a "good old boys club" mindset, methinks. They don't want us civilians choosing who would join their ranks. :p

13. GRANDADMIRALAXLROSE

GRANDADMIRALAXLROSE Jedi Knight star 7

May 8, 2002
    Anyway it goes down I think will help out the lit well. So im in favor of the pm idea.

Axl.

14. Face Loran

Face Loran Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 21, 1999
    "LOL, bit of a "good old boys club" mindset, methinks. They don't want us civilians choosing who would join their ranks"

You're probably not too far off with that assessment, Wild_Karrde. I cannot think of a reasonable objection to not using the latest proposal, at least on a trial basis. The general consensus here is that, although the plan may have flaws, it's worth trying. I don't understand the reluctance to trying it out.

It's not like the current system is flawless, either. It occasionally ends up with a Moderator who is not up to the task. I'd say the odds are about the same with the current system as the proposed one.

Furthermore, I don't really like the idea of the Mod. Squad vetoing a proposal passed here. What's the point to this place if all the opinions, polls, and voices of this group can get overidden by a group who may or may not be qualified to make such a judgement? Are they saying that they're opinion is more valid because they were "selected" even though each of us in this place has been around for a long time and have the interests of the Lit. board at heart? Each one of us who are allowed to vote on this have met certain criteria, guaranteeing as much as possible that each of us is making an informed decision. Can each of the Mod's voting on this issue say the same thing? I doubt it.

15. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    Where is the other 70% of the mod squad vote going?

16. Gandalf the Grey

May 14, 2000
    As it stands at this moment, plan #1 is getting 28% of the vote, plan #2 is getting 28% of the vote, using either plan is getting 0% of the vote, and using neither plan is getting 42% of the vote, and doing something else is getting 0% of the vote.

17. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    and using neither plan is getting 42% of the vote

And what, exactly, does that mean?

18. Jon_Snow

Jon_Snow Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 4, 2001
    I presume that means that 42% of the Mod Squad is against using either of the plans, the inverse of either being neither, right?

19. Darth_Kevin

Aug 30, 2001
    That does mean that 58% are in favor of a new plan, just divided on which one.

20. Face Loran

Face Loran Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 21, 1999
    It bothers me that the votes are being split like that. I fear, that because a consensus on which new plan to use cannot be reached, neither will be used, and that the old method will be used simply because it got the "majority."

[face_plain]

21. Darth_Kevin

Aug 30, 2001
    It won't have a majority though, just a plurality.

22. wild_karrde

Oct 8, 1999
    Lets just spam all the mods [face_mischief]

23. JediMasterAaron

Oct 14, 2000
    And what, exactly, does that mean?

It would seem to mean that the Mod Squad wants to keep mod selection the way it has been, that is, by making the selections without assistance from the regular users.

This really disturbs me about the way things are run around here. All the time in Comms the mods argue that they are trying to make the users more active in policy, and when this comes up, a real chance to make a positive change to the way those in positions of power are elected, it is shot down. Doesn't say much for some of the members of the administration. :(

JMA

24. wild_karrde

Oct 8, 1999
    Doesn't really surprise me. Just thank God DL and Chy aren't still mods. We'd be banned for even suggesting this.

25. Gandalf the Grey

May 14, 2000
    I'm sorry to announce that it looks like we're doing it the old way. :(

We started voting on our list of candidates a few minutes ago.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.