main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sidious, Snoke and Salacious B Crumb’s Sarcastic and Sassy Situation Saloon (Fanfic Social Thread)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Oct 11, 2017.

1. Kurisan

Kurisan Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    gg

Last edited: Nov 30, 2021
    AzureAngel2 and Kahara like this.
  2. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Kahara and AzureAngel2 like this.
  3. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    I now have a nephew named Leo, after my grandfather.

4. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    Congratulations!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Congratulations! My great-grandfather's name was Leo so it's always been high on my "if-I-ever-have-kids-which-is-SUPER-unlikely" list. I love the name!

6. Kurisan

Kurisan Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    gg

Last edited: Nov 30, 2021
    AzureAngel2 and Lady_Misty like this.
  7. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    @Briannakin Years ago, I told my sister that I wanted to name a son Leo. She vowed that it was off her list of names. So when she found out she was having a boy, she called me to talk about it and I gave my blessing for her to use it if the baby looked like a Leo. But my best friend Jess is offended on my behalf.

8. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 21, 2007
    Well Thursday night we lost power and it wasn’t restored until Saturday afternoon.

I left the cold house with Evan to stay with Dany who had power and stayed until Tuesday because of rain and high wind on Monday.

And today there was an accident in the form of an explosion at my Dad’s work. I called my parents in a panic once it clicked that the news article was talking about my Dad’s place of employment. I was so relieved when my Dad answered the phone that I couldn’t speak for a moment. Between TE and I we contacted family members on my side to let them know that my Dad was fine as he wasn’t at work and asking them to pass it along to those that I don’t have contact information for.

No one was seriously injured and the only type of injury that they were reporting was respiratory since a lot of smoke, paper making chemicals and wood chips were involved.

Debris was thrown at least two miles with some landing in a grocery store/shopping plaza parking lot.

Leo is a nice name.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

9. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Deleting because I didn't mean it to go in this thread. Ignore my 10,000 word update.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2020
  10. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    A 10,000 word update? That can only mean one thing...

*runs looking

11. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    That was a gorgeous read, @DarthIshtar. Especially, after a very long work day, doing home office. (Okay and fetching some medicine after lunch.)

Yesterday, I accompanied @DarthUncle to his old kidney doctor. It was rather spooky to use Berlin´s subway service again.

Anyway, once we were at the doctor´s office, we got some useful tips how to handle the Corona crisis as a transplant household. The good doctor said that we should have a walk outside more often. (The last time that my husband was outside before that had really been the 14th March.)

That is why we walked from the doctor to my work, where I greeted my boss and five colleagues. Then I printed out about 50 photos and sorted in some office papers.

Then we walked again, straight to the tea shop in Charlottenburg where I had ordered something via telephone on Tuesday the 7th April. The German parcel delivery service (DHL) still has not managed to give us the parcel yet. (Neighbours have the same problem.)

Anyway, we took the S-Bahn and did shopping on the market once we were back in our own district. Then we walked home.

All in all more than 23.000 steps... ha!

But today my husband was half dead, but insisted to walk together to the pharmacy with me. (We called them hours before and told them what medicines we need.)

Then I worked very hard between 2pm and 5pm. (I already had worked between 9am and 1pm).

When a what´s app asked who would like to work directly at the kindergarten next week, I volunteered. Darth Uncle & his doctor told me it´s okay, when I am not doing home office all the time. The public Berlin transport system is always a health risk, ha, ha!

But in the long term, and my bosses know that, I would like to stop working at the creché & start working with the older kindergarten children again.

All in all, two challenging and interesting days. Including Ishtar ´s update.

12. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Man, if it wasn't for my periodic walks outside every few days, I'd probably go insane.

I'm currently weighing the pros and cons of buying a cheaper sewing machine and getting back into quilting, just as something else, and something kinda productive, to do while the world continues to self-isolate. On the pro side: it's something else fun to do and (again) it's productive! I could make a bunch of baby blankets or Christmas decor to sell once all this is over.

On the negative side, I'd need to order all the supplies and whatnot online as well (I'd also need an iron, board, pins, scissors). By the time everything comes (like everywhere else, shipping times are REALLY delayed unless it's medical supplies), this whole thing might be over (probably not, but Canada might be out of this sooner than the US). I know I'd use everything even after, but selections right now are slim (sewing/quilting in general is just one of those hobbies where it's often just better/easier to buy in store, particularly for sewing machines). Plus, I feel bad about adding onto delivery people's workload when they are already so overworked. And I actually have all I need... it's just 800kms away at my mom's house, but I'm not trusting Fex-ex right now (or ever, really) with my expensive sewing machine.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2020
  13. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    The women’s group at church has been fellowshiping on Facebook and they just did picture scavenger hunts. It took me two miles to find a bridge, but it felt great to be outside and moving. I’ve been so tired.

14. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    I just put my machine away, and now I think I will need to drag it out again to make a few masks. I've got one that they sent home from the hospital with me, but it's paper and although I soak it in rubbing alcohol when I get home, I don't think it will hold up. Since I've got a ton of fabric stash, I think I'll download a pattern and go to town.

I hear you about not wanting unnecessary deliveries, @Briannakin; I am trying to avoid them myself! Was going to order summer pants for work, holding off. Also a summer handbag, though I may break down & buy that for my birthday gift next month. And I may have to buy some books to send to my mother; without access to the library, she's very restless and driving my father crazy.

AzureAngel2, Kahara and DarthIshtar like this.
  15. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I asked my mom to make and send me some masks, though they've not arrived yet. If I do end up buying a machine, I'll probably make a few more to donate. I found a local quilt shop (yaaay for supporting local businesses!) yesterday that does online orders and curb-side pick up, so I could send my sister's boyfriend out to pick up an order for me. I was looking on their website yesterday, then I called them about one machine and unfortunately it's out of stock right now, but it would only take about a week to order, so I think I'm going to go with it, but I'm still going to do some research.

Would it be worth it for your mom to get a Kindle, then she can download books as she pleases? I know some people - myself included - just prefer physical books but sometimes the ease of the internet can outweigh personal preference.

I'm trying to avoid unnecessary deliveries, but a clothing company I like (Torrid) normally has STUPID expensive shipping to home (like we are talking $50 for Canada), yet free shipping to stores. BUUUUT because all their stores are closed, they are now doing free shipping anywhere. So like 2 weeks ago I bought a dress and a tunic. It's the first fun thing I've bought since this started (not including the LEGO Hogwarts, but I technically bought that JUUUUST before poop hit). It still hasn't arrived but I'm not surprised.

But, today I gotta clear up my mountain of recycling. I don't mind talking the garbage out because I can just carry the bag and then go for a walk after, but recycling requires me to use my cart and going for a walk with the cart is just a pain in the butt. But I also don't want make unnecessary trips in and out of my condo, so I don't want to drop it off up here, then go for a walk.

Edit: So I just got an email that made me go, WHAT THE HELL? It was from the property manager of our building. They are doing the cleaning of the parking stalls next Thursday and our cars have to be gone from 8am to 4pm. I'm not sure if I should email back and just be like WTF? WHY would you decide to do this WHEN EVERYONE HAS TO STAY AT HOME. It's not like cleaning the dirt from the stalls is a pressing issue. Maybe if enough people complain they will delay it?? I don't like complaining so maybe I just leave it and hope I can get one of the two handicapped parking stalls outside (because there are like 6 other visitor stalls). I'm not sure what I'm going to do if I am unable to get one of the stalls. There's not a lot of parking nearby. Am I just going to have to go to a random parking lot and sit there for 8 hours?

Edit 2: I sent the email (as politely and as understanding as I could).

Last edited: Apr 17, 2020
  16. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    That is complete nonsense. I hope it’s worked out.

I’m just burned this week. I was kind of blunt to my family about the fact that all I ever hear from anyone is a tasteless pandemic meme or a fat joke and my older sister immediately sent me funny videos of my nephews and talked me through some issues. On the other hand, I got snapped at and snapped back today and now it’s resolved, but tension isn’t what I needed. Probably the highlight of the day was when I recorded a video of myself playing some piano music and a friend sent me money to buy Shostakovich sheet music because she knows how much I love that composer. So I got a 7-page piano version of one of his waltzes in PDF format.

17. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    She has one, she just can't get her head around how to use it. When I visited her at Christmas, I made her take it with her to the library, and she had a one on one tutorial with the librarian on how to get free library ebooks, but she just can't retain it. Her short-term memory is getting very bad.

I prefer physical books, too, but in this situation I'd be using Kindle. Ah, well. I'll find something for her online and send it as an early Mother's Day gift, I guess.

Kahara and AzureAngel2 like this.
  18. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    In that case, find her some REALLY LONG books.

My sleep disturbances are mostly gone, but does anybody else wake up and think "Hmmmm what am I going to do today..." and then the realization hits you and you are like "Oh... oh GOD NO!"

I'm thinking I might order a pizza tonight (from my favourite local place) just as SOMETHING different. I haven't ordered out anything since this whole thing started, just as a precaution, but I'm going to take the small risk tonight.

Kahara likes this.
  19. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    What about this? It can protect your entire face
    [​IMG]

20. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I guess I have a reputation of being a Star Wars fan. Somebody sent to my job an anonymous donation of food for lunch and everybody thought it was from me because it came in a Star Wars gift bag. I had the day off and my boss sent me a thank you email. lol!

Nope, wasn't from me.

The public response to health care workers has been amazing. I haven't had to pack a lunch for weeks. Pizzas, Jimmy Johns, donuts, candy, sandwiches, Chinese food, box lunches, lasagna, and a bunch of other food arrives to our department daily. I told a coworker, "I never thought I would gain weight during the apocalypse."

When the stay at home order lifts I will definitely be giving my business to all of these wonderful restaurants donating their services!

21. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I’m glad they’re taking care of you. I’m one of the few people I know who’s losing weight during this, but it doesn’t stop my family from sending me memes about wearing a mask so I don’t eat. It’s really very offensive.

Lady_Misty and AzureAngel2 like this.
  22. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I keep thinking about all the place I want to make sure to support once this is over (and we have been ordering from some of our favorite restaurants to help support them!) and all the places I worry will fold under it all. They've officially canceled everything that has crowds in NYC through June.

That's gross. I'm so sorry they are doing that.

23. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    The CEO of then nonprofit I’m on the board of had this great idea for a way to help the arts community during lockdown and refused help on all sides and is now giving up on that idea and it’s so frustrating I could scream my guts out. I’ve been continuing our usual work remotely with support of small opera companies doing remote performances or theaters streaming live readings or one-man shows. I’m just feeling like the one distraction that was helping me out is making things worse.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  24. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    That's great that so many restaurants are donating food for you guys Jedi_Lover!

I did end up ordering a pizza from a local place on Saturday and it was the best decision I've made in awhile. I ordered a large and ate half in one night [face_blush]

It's pretty good news where I am. Models are projecting we are following South Korea's curve and new cases are beginning to decrease, so things might start relaxing up later in May!

AND... I kinda decided to treat myself! My mom called me and apparently my sewing machine that I left at her place is sadly starting to go (it wasn't the greatest brand in hindsight). So I decided it makes little sense to buy a smaller cheaper one now if I'm just going to have to replace my better one anyways. So I decided to buy myself a machine thats even fancier than the one I had! I get to pick it up tomorrow probably (they are going to load it into my car so I won't even have to get out)!!!!!!! My mom is going to send me a package of some of my quilting supplies and fabric. It's going to be like Christmas.

I figure, it's a good investment to keep me sane and productive over the next few months. Even if things start to ease up here, it's going to be a LONG while until things are back to normal. And they are telling us, even if things get semi-normal, be prepared for another wave of it in the fall. Plus I did the math and it was either a sewing machine or a whole bunch more lego sets, and at least the sewing machine is easier to store and will be useful long after this is over.

mavjade , AzureAngel2, Gamiel and 2 others like this.
  25. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    Feeling quite depressed today. The place I had been assigned to recenetly doesn't require our company anymore so I had the day off and was looking foreward to finally get some rest for the rest for the rest of the week and was quite hopefull to get a similar position in another storenot far away next week.

Instead I was phoned by my superiors today that they would assign me a new position by tomorrow, on the other end of town. The cost to travel there already eats up a considerable part of my pay and the long travel in the trains takes away what much of what free time I still had each day. Made even worse due to the horrible train times as it only is one train per hour and then either a rather close time window or spent an additional hour sitting pointlessly around. Same with the way back, either I can get to the station really fast or I have to sit there yet another hour.
    When I pointed this out to my superiors they called me a lazy and borderline threatened me to accept.
    Really enjoyed this job for over a year now, but this... gives me flashbacks to that nightmare my life turned into in that job two years ago at the store.