main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit So if the EU was still going right now where do you think they would be?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AvarandElzarsittininatree, Apr 16, 2022.

1. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Yeah and I'm remembering that Lucas's early drafts involved Darth Maul coming back and being the big bad of the underworld so....good luck squaring that circle.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  2. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    The Son of Dathomir and Dark Disciple episodes of TCW never being made and Dawn of the Jedi being cut short have left me feeling baited and switched. I’m also worried that I’ll never be able to see AOTC, ROTS, or the OT in a theater (I became a fan in 2006).

3. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    It has to be said that there is something to seeing ANH on the big screen.

Saw the SE version and you think you won't be impressed by the opening, you've seen it loads of times, nothing new to see, right?

Wrong. That opening was designed for the big screen and impresses anew no matter familarity or lack of.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2022
    Slater and darklordoftech like this.
  4. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

As someone who doesn’t care for A New Hope on the whole even I have to admit i would LOVE to see the opening shot in theaters on a big screen

Jedi Ben and darklordoftech like this.
  5. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    It. Absolutely. Works.

Jid123Sheeve and darklordoftech like this.
  6. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    DOTJ up to the First Great Schism.
    Would love to see more during the Galactic Republic explored before TOTJ.
    More Bantam era tie ins to the Clone Wars and Dark Times,
    Booster Terrick, Hal Horn, Neeja Halcyon, Seti Asgard, Callista, Eye of Palpatine, Han's relatives, the Sal-Solo's,

7. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Lol reading all these scenarios Legacy seems to get screwed no matter what happens?

George makes his ST Legacy gets screwed cuz he wanted to use Maul or Talon.

No ST, Legacy gets screwed cuz books are going Rogue again

Irredeemable Fanboy likes this.
  8. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    Few Assumptions here,

No TV shows or movies in the foreseeable future from 2012 except TCW which ends with a seventh season in 2013-2014.

The post NJO Eu would have continued to be a source of anger and agitation, SOTJ would have likely disappointed, and Denning was getting yet another trilogy. Legacy's future would really be dependent on editor intervention, if Denning had Krayt duel Luke or something then there would be a massive problem.

More DOTJ content, probably taken all the way to the force wars conclusion and maybe even to the Republic's founding. Knight Errant-probably more stuff in this vein.

Legacy Vol. 2 would have not been cancelled, not sure where it would go but it would be over by now.

From 2000 to 2010 the EU went from around...26 ABY or so to 44 ABY.

The temporal gap between Legacy and Crucible would have shortened, whether or not Legacy was rendered non canon. How much is hard to say, but it would have been increasingly difficult to avoid addressing it, either Del Rey would have to limit their creative choices and options to just build up Legacy(which doesn't seem to be something they wanted to do) or they would break with it. Which would shatter the EU's already flailing integrity in terms of consistency.

The Big Three's fates are also hard to discern-I recall a rumor in 2011/2012 that a big three send off was going to happen in 2015. But they would be IU in their seventies and eighties, even if the EU only had gotten to the fifties ABY. Keeping them around would have increasingly been obvious as a sign of Del Rey's lack of faith in next generation characters. Whether Lucas could be bothered to give the go ahead to let them die is impossible to know. Probably Jaina would have had a kid by then.

Ben's romantic status would probably be resolved as well-likely with Tahiri or Seha Dorvald, given they didn't want to do Bestara; given what we know now. Maybe their would have been fan backlash demanding it, maybe not. Allana is hard to say, I think they'd have kept a vague prophecy/"she will be very important" angle while her character remained fairly conventional in practice.

One benefit the EU did have was by this time-the essential guides had given its formerly haphazard timeline and narrative a definite structure, one that writers and editors would have as much access too as fans. So some eras might been more explored, though maybe not.

I think the best EU content would have come from the DOTJ era, and maybe more NSW era stuff, especially since the essential guides had defined the scope of these time periods-giving writers quite a sandbox to play in. There may have been a bit more NJO era stuff-Invasion would have continued, and if it did well, perhaps there would have been more NJO era comics, though I doubt they'd want to do novels of the period unless they really thought it would do well.

My read on Del Rey was while they were willing to break new ground(hiring a new author to do the DOTJ book) they were also cautious, and conservative in the sense they would not do something that risked just simply failing financially. Maybe that's a wrong impression, but that is mine.

I imagine post Crucible stuff would probably have involved Mortis/the dagger of Mortis, hunting abeloth, the lost tribe as disposable villains, and an IU political situation that was as slow moving as it was tense.

To summarize: Legacy likely contradicted, and rendered non canon through some sort of handwavium to avert a crisis of continuity(I hope not but that was likely as the outcome), post Crucible likely goes on another IU decade or two, the surviving younger cast still doesn't get the spotlight. More DOTJ era content, and probably a few more essential guides.

AusStig likes this.
  9. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

If anything a lot of this seems more like a problem for Wookipedia then actual story quality.

Well we know Lucas prepping to make a Sequel Trilogy so he'd probably wait to do that himself.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2022
  10. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    It’s hard to say how tangible the Lucas flirtation with a sequel trilogy actually was before the sale became a thing. We know he had a loose idea for what it would be, but then you also have someone like Dave Filoni who was pretty close to Lucas saying that among LFL itself the notion of more films was a whisper at the time and not an outright statement of intent.

And then you have Kasdan saying that Lucas was talking to him about a Han Solo film long before the sale and the Sequels were in development, so who knows where things would have seriously been on the film front.

Slater and Jid123Sheeve like this.
  11. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    My presumption was no new movies. But you do have a point.

Jid123Sheeve likes this.
  12. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Double Post. Apologies.

13. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I would love a “Dawn of the Sith” comic series about the Hundred-Year Darkness. I would also love a novel about Freedon Nadd.

14. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

The essential guides was some of the best stuff in the late Legends EU

15. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Agreed. They quickly developed eras whenever a new era was introduced and they (and the Legends EU in general) ensured that being a Star Wars fan was never boring. I thought the Canon EU was waiting for Episode IX to begin developing, but now Episode IX has been out for 2 years and being a Star Wars fan is quite boring.

iFrankenstein likes this.
  16. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    The good:

More dawn of the Jedi and Legacy vol 2. More SWTOR content (maybe), even more SWTOR books and comics (likely). Some more games.

The Bad:

More Denning. Legacy comics likely gets retconned. I don't think it would be overwritten, due to it being different companies, but maybe after legacy 2 finishes. Tahiri marries Ben, likely we with a joke about the sexual assault at the wedding. I think there would be fan push back (maybe it even goes a bit mainstream if a high profile case of a female sexually assaulting a minor, but I doubt it). Maybe after Denning leaves or the fan push back Tahiri dies and Ben marries Vestara. But the novels will likely remain in the dark age.

The mixed:

TCW, the cancelled arcs were not great. Maybe some good ones will happen, but based on what we got it would be mediocre.

Irredeemable Fanboy likes this.
  17. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

See when people say they want "Bring Back Legends" I' mean sure you get some Legends and what not but do you really want all the baggage that comes with it.

I agree with Jeff on this one that i think Disney spared us a massive headache

Maybe for you I think we're in a golden age of content

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2022
  18. AvarandElzarsittininatree

AvarandElzarsittininatree Jedi Master star 4

Nov 13, 2021
    I think many of the folks who are on the 'Bring Back Legends' train are those that liked the post NJO stuff.

Jid123Sheeve and AusStig like this.
  19. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    There are good reasons few morned when Legends died.

That said I wish Luceno had been given a book (as he was still under contract) to wrap up the post NJO stories.

20. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I mean do you think he could circle those squares of linking the post NJO story to Legacy ?

21. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    Never bet against Luceno.

22. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    Yes. Don't underestimate him. He can do amazing work. Darth Plagus is a master class in squaring circles.

23. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    A final trilogy or something where Stover and Luceno could wrap up Legends would have been great. Could have been given sanction by Lucasfilm to kill off the Big three, tie up Ben, Jaina and Allana's stories, and close the gap as it were.

The Trek novelverse ended recently (to align with Star Trek Picard)-they had an author wrap it up, (albeit this was done by literally blowing up that universe, was not happy about it), so I think a finale trilogy could have been done.

Giving a sense of closure, as it were. At least to the post NJO overarching plot.

iFrankenstein, Jedi Ben and AusStig like this.
  24. AvarandElzarsittininatree

AvarandElzarsittininatree Jedi Master star 4

Nov 13, 2021
    It really wasn't necessary to align any Star Trek books up with a new TV series as Star Trek has always been all over the place.

25. EmperorHorus

EmperorHorus Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2016
    I think about this quite often. As much as the other eras, The Old Republic, Dawn of the Jedi etc. were great, what I would have liked to see most was more stories gone back in the era between the OT and where the Denning-verse ended up. Specifically fleshing out known characters activities during certain periods. More Wraith Squadron/Rogue Squadron missions during the Vong war, and afterwards. Fett and his supercommandos in different conflicts. Jedi other than Skywalker/Solos throughout these periods. Basically more stories in the vein of Mercy Kill, Crosscurrent, and Scourge.

Of course the continued adventures of Ben Skywalker, Jaina and so forth would have been good to see as well. A 90 year old Luke coming out of retirement to do force-stuff could have been epic if done right too.

AusStig likes this.