main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Senate So I'm thinking about taking online college

Discussion in 'Community' started by AutumnLight91, Oct 31, 2023.

1. AutumnLight91

AutumnLight91 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 17, 2018
    So yeah, thinking of getting an online associates degree in creative writing, probably from Liberty University.

But for those who have ever done online classes, what is it like? I know it is different from each school ti school, but how is it? How's workload, schedule, doing it while full time working, etc.

2. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    College- great!
    Liberty University- terrible!

try something like this. They have creative writing courses.

3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I got my masters degree online. It was great for me since I needed the flexibility as I had two young kids at home. Some courses are self-paced and some are not, so pay attention to deadlines—you will literally get locked out of content on many online platforms if you miss a deadline the professor sets. I (obviously) enjoy talking to people on online message boards so that aspect was great. I learned how to use Skype (this was before Discord and other video chat platforms) to interact with my classmates for group work. I was not working full time then but many of my classmates were.

My experience is that the workload is not any heavier. You might end up watching a video lecture from a professor instead of going into a building to listen to a lecture.

4. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Really look into the loans.

Public university may be better, most since COVID now have virtual options.

And I have only heard bad things about Liberty University.

Lowbacca_1977 likes this.
  5. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Be careful in your choice of online college. Especially be careful of Liberty University. They are not a school. They are a cult.

Lowbacca_1977 and TCF-1138 like this.
  6. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    You’d might as well light your money on fire.

7. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    When I clicked on this thread, I had assumed University of Phoenix or something. Didn't think it would be worse than that.

TiniTinyTony , Bor Mullet and vin like this.
  8. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    To be clear, you may think they mean “ a cult” because they find the religious beliefs radical.

They do not. They mean “cult” in the sense of “corrupt vanity project with rampant abuse of power.” Family members of the school President openly have sex out of wedlock with students, contracts are steered preferentially towards personal friends of the leadership, good teachers are fired for small, reasonable criticisms, and many executives openly flout principles the school is supposed to uphold.

Even if you are interested in a smaller school where you think people “share your values” Liberty University absolutely is not it. It’s where a second-generation Falwell gets the money and attention to feel like he’s a celebrity. And live like one, in the very worst connotations of that idea possible.

9. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    My masters was through a public university and well before Covid. I think it also depends on the program. Not sure about creative writing.

10. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    [QUOTE="Ghost, post: 58686150, member: 98273]And I have only heard bad things about Liberty University.[/QUOTE]

Liberty University was founded by Jerry Falwell. That speaks volumes.

DarthIshtar likes this.
  11. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    More than that: bad and restrictive culture and teachers, and predatory student loans.

12. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    This is going to be like when we all advised him not to join the Army... he's going to do this ridiculous thing.

But, in case you are listening to people here, I will echo everybody else... find another option for school. This is not the right one, believe us.

Lowbacca_1977 likes this.
  13. Lady_Belligerent

Lady_Belligerent Queen of the RPF, SWC, C&P, and Pancakes & Waffles star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 29, 2008
    Education is good, but listen to all the above and avoid Liberty. There are countless legitimate schools you can get an online degree from.

14. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    I used my local community college instead

15. JediYvette

JediYvette Pacific RSA emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 18, 2001
    Just me, but I did NOT have the ability to completely self-manage my studies and did not thrive in online-only university classes. That takes skills I did not develop until forced into it when working from home during peak COVID.

16. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I’d say this is the route I would recommend for an associate’s. Reasonable costs, in-person options, generally accepted as a valid source of associate’s degrees by employers and institutions, not a total goddamn scam…

Last edited: Nov 3, 2023
  17. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Since you are aiming for an associate's degree, I too would recommend attending a local community college. If you then wish to continue you education and get a bachelor's, your credits will transfer to a university. (Full disclosure: I teach at both a university and a community college.)

Avoid Liberty University, it is a scam.

18. AutumnLight91

Jun 17, 2018
    Yeah I keep reading about stuff that makes me question it. I was gonna wait till next fall anyway so I have time to look for other stuff.

Just it's hard to find an associates in just creative writing. And I'm not sure what else really would be worth it for me right now. I can always stick with my old plan of no college and just work lol. But at least I'm open to the option of it now.

Far as military goes, I will be leaving active duty soon, so that's part of the reason why I'm considering all this of what my next step is

Harpua and Count Yubnub like this.
  19. KissMeImARebel

KissMeImARebel Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I've been thinking of this myself. I know others who have done it and I've not heard any major complaints. A friend whose STEM masters program I'm interested in says that his grades are based around papers, projects, and discussion boards.
    This is something I worry about.

20. AutumnLight91

Jun 17, 2018
    So I'm taking these classes that military provides (requires) to give info on future education opportunities.

Reading online about creative writing degrees, I may not do college for it. I'm reading from people who've done it that's it's a worthless degree. That you'll gain more experience in writing and workshops.

So question would be, what do I do for a backup degree instead? I'm not passionate about anything else so not really interested in wasting money

21. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    As someone with a degree in screenwriting, I agree with this. It's a waste of time. You'll gain as much, if not more, knowledge of writing by simply reading a lot of books, as well as just writing at every chance you get.

22. AutumnLight91

Jun 17, 2018
    I've been doing that already, trying to get my first book out actually soon hopefully. But I am looking into business stuff, which has been recommended. Least could be something

TCF-1138 likes this.
  23. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    As someone who is in college right now almost done in fact I do recommend you go to an institution that will challenge you. I mainly chose my current university because it was less than an hour drive from home and they offered me a good scholarship but what I have discovered is that the student body is a lot more conservative than one would think for a New England university. And not that it’s made me more conservative. I doubt my politics have much changed. But it has made me a much better person at talking then I used to be. I would truly recommend you reconsider what university you go to. And not just because of that.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2023
  24. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I literally just said to someone just yesterday that the best way to learn to write is to read books by great writers and, very rarely, books by bad writers. Then I corrected myself and said that you also have to write. Like a lot.

There are certainly technical things you can learn from structured educational classes, but reading great writers and writing as much as possible will teach you more than you could possibly imagine.

Bacon164 and TCF-1138 like this.
  25. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Yeah I’d agree with that, it’s what I heard a lot of too when I looked into it. It might be good to do just one of those classes at a community college, to see how a workshop can go with some facilitation help and guidance from a professor. Some public libraries offer that too, depending on how big the city is, but I’d still check either way.

I’d say don’t feel pressured to get a degree now, if nothing else is sparking your passion or seems to fit with your career journey, you can come back to it later — it’s easier to do when you’re younger, I hear, but you also don’t want to regret any money spent.

Having said that… if you’re still really focused on writing, a big part of being an author is also marketing, so perhaps considering a degree in Marketing? It could also be good to take a single class in technical writing, a single class in graphic design, which could also help with writing. Or if, say, you think all your books will be heavily influenced by different time periods on earth, perhaps consider a degree in History. Or if you think you’ll mostly write Indiana Jones kind of stories, consider Anthropology (of which Archaeology is a subset). Etc.

I also want continue to advocate looking at those quality YouTube channels for free advice and tips. There’s so many.

Hope this is helpful.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2023
    Sarge likes this.